Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I just played like an hour of DOS 2 this morning. Ugh. All I did was item management and mess with skills. I spoke to Malady and Sir Squirrel and the merchant on the Vengeance. That's it And now my hotbars are all screwed up again.

Sigh. I think the issue with items, weapons and equipment, for me anyway, is there is just too much complexity with all of it for my taste. I have to look at each and every piece of armor for 4 different characters and ask myself "Is this better or worse or worth it?"

In D&D/BG3, at least I can look at armor and say, "Ah. This will increase my AC by 2. Done." I don't have to look at it and say, "Okay... um... this will increase Physical Defense by roughly 15 but potentially lower my Magic Defense by 5, but it'll also give me +1 to Huntsman and 10% Fire Resistance... ah but my current armor has 15% Fire Resistance, so that's actually a decrease... and my current armor also has +1 Pyro, so that will suck to have it removed..."

For EACH and every piece of equipment. It's too much. I REALLY don't want anything like that for BG3. Simple is better. PLEASE don't start making items all convoluted. I want to be able to look at an item and say, "Yes. That's cool. Done." I don't want to have to spend an hour pouring through tons of items trying to figure out what's good and what to sell. I want to play the game, not spend an hour shopping and messing with items.

The same is true for skills. My goodness. At first, I was like, "Yes. Lots of abilities and such. More! More!" But now I'm like, "Holy crap, Batman! There's too many of them. I... I don't know what to do with them all, and my hotbar's a mess."

I don't know. I'm not enjoying this game so much. I'm hoping that now that I've sold most of my crap and such and I'm finally in the new map location, maybe it'll be fun again. Thus far, it hasn't been, to me, what everyone's pumped it up to be. My love for BG3 is the only thing carrying me onward to try to complete the game. Prior to playing BG3, I wouldn't have even gotten as far as I have, to be frankly honest. I'm sorry, Larian. I truly am, but DOS 2 so far is not my idea of a fun video game. I WANT to like it, but I don't. Frankly, BG3 is 1000 times more fun even with all the things I've said need to be fixed and suggestions to make the game more fun.

Don't get me wrong. There are elements of the game that are great, but the stuff that isn't so fun is really taking the wind out of my sails.
Yeah, the bonuses are a mishmash. And you only get equipment with unique abilities by Acts 3 and 4, except for the Braccus Rex Armor in Act 1 and another armor that I think was added with the relics of Rivellon. And the abilities don't stop coming, and they don't stop coming, and they don't stop coming, and they don't stop coming. But that led to a lot of different strategy combinations, which was nice. If you're not into the story by the time you finish the boss at the end of the Blackpits Cave, then it might not be for you.

Also, inventory management in DOS games is absolutely terrible and tedious and the opposite of seamless.

Edit: Seamful. It's seamful. But pronounce it like Sean is pronounced Shean so it sounds like Shameful.

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 26/08/22 03:03 AM.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
old hand
old hand
It's worth mentioning that Act 2 is probably the most open act in the game, but due to the way this game's level/damage calculations work, you are sort of pigeonholed into a somewhat strict story progression path if you don't know how to majorly cheese stuff. Generally if non-bosses are 2+ levels above you, you aren't supposed to be there yet (as you will inflict less damage against higher level opponents and vice-versa, I think it was something like 15-20% damage per level difference). It might be less of an issue on easy mode though.

veteran
veteran
I never found weapons to be that difficulty to compare but I also didn't worry too much about min maxing. I generally just focused on pure damage, with other bonuses being an extra - unless it's Spellcaster in which case boosting stats and skill I need is a priority.

Yes, hotbar was a goddam mess, and that's why I was so worried that Larian will leave it in its original form in BG3. It was already a massive pain in the butt in D:OS2. The "good news" is that you are near the point where skill gain will stop - there will be still some to acquire early into chapter 2 but after that the progression will throttle to a near stop.

i generally found couple skill combos that I can loop and that pretty much will be enough for the entire game as armor system erases most differences between enemies.

It also took BG3 for me to power through D:OS2 but on my initial play through I managed to go a bit further then you did.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Ok. I've picked up DOS2 again. Maybe just needed a break. Been playing Reapers Coast. Back to enjoying it again. Still WAY too many items, but I guess if I was on Classic difficulty, I might not be feeling that way. Sounds like more than one person was saying that on harder difficulty, you absolutely need every item you can get. I must say, I'm sorta wishing I kept going on Classic.

But then, it was frustrating the crap out of me. Every fight was murdering me no matter what I did. I think I'd probably do better now that I understand the system better, but it's too late to start over now. Maybe if I feel like it someday I'll do another playthrough on Classic again. We'll see. Depends on how I like the story, characters, etc.

Anyway, the game definitely has it's strong characteristics. I do enjoy many aspects of it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Ok. I've picked up DOS2 again. Maybe just needed a break. Been playing Reapers Coast.
Yay, yeah D:OS has an issue of being repetitive, so perhaps taking one chapter at a time is a better approach then binging it in one go, as I tend to do.

I feel somewhat similar about BG3. I like it more if I play it for one evening and then I let it lie for couple days or weeks until I feel like having another bite. With little narrative pull to distract me I get hyperfocused on game's systemic shortcomings, if I spent too much time with it.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard