Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
veteran
veteran
With ability score modifiers it's also important to look at the way ability scores are generated.

If you roll it's much more about the roll itself than where the +2 and +1 go. Any race can still have 16 to 18 in any ability score. With rolling, I would probably keep the racial modifiers. Rolling generates the kind of freedom that the proposed change is now bringing to point buy.

The Point buy method is a more balanced way that works better for video games, especially multiplayer and potential PvP. We all know how well "rolling" translates to a video game in the original BG games and how it's not really rolling anymore. In point buy, the racial +2/+1 modifiers become much more pronounced. Without the +1 you can't have a 16 in your main stat and you're always behind races that do. You also have to pay more for the stats without racial bonuses, which translates to having a lower ability score total. It's just a sucky feeling trying to create a strength based High Elf Eldritch Knight who is wise and perceptive with point buy, when the game is forcefully telling you to play a finesse version with wisdom no higher than 13. So with Point Buy, I would prefer the ability score modifers to be unlocked.

I would also experiment with removing the double costs from point buy. 14 and 15 only costing 1 point would help unlocking new builds and role playing options.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Sozz
Your character's starting attributes weren't a representation of their background or life choices, it was a representation of a race in the world. I'm trying to make it work in my mind, how a gnome, a halfling, a human, an orc, and a goliath are all going to have the same starting strength merely because they all spent a few years as stevedores. The dissonance in physical stats is more straightforward, but the mental stats too, most Orc's I've known have struggled to speak common if they even knew it, Orcish is a language without a lot of complex concepts, because the people who speak it aren't typically able to grasp them, It also doesn't have it's own script, a trait common among languages in illiterate cultures, so I'm guessing Orc culture for a while at least wasn't written, gosh the world building!. Yet any Orc player gets to start out speaking three languages.

If you're going to open up character creation to the panoply of races (not all of them well thought out), you've got to give me something, maybe -1 to a stat? Like all Orc characters have -1 Int, even if they can put +2 +1 anywhere they want, just something to remind me that Orcs are not the same as Dwarves.
Exactly. Different races should have different biological attributes. Thats just common sense. Especially when you have such diversity like in D&D going from small, skinny humanoids to large lizard people to divine infused half animals.

But sadly WotC in their quest to dumb down D&D for the mass market caters to powergamers who refuse to play anything which has not the optimal stat array for their class and to the twitter mob that freaks out and screams racism when fictional races are actually different from each other.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
In point buy, the racial +2/+1 modifiers become much more pronounced. Without the +1 you can't have a 16 in your main stat and you're always behind races that do. You also have to pay more for the stats without racial bonuses, which translates to having a lower ability score total.

A couple of quick points for clarity:

- The nice thing about the bounded limits of 5e is that you are, quite literally not always behind the character playing a race that is natively well suited to your class; If you both train hard, learn hard, and achieve your optimum, becoming the best individual that you can possibly be, then at the end of the day you will reach the SAME maximum. They have a head start, but the top of the podium is in the same place and you can both reach it. This feeds partially into the other detail;

- You do not pay more for ability scores without racial bonuses and you do not end up with a lower ability score total than a character with different racial modifiers, unless you choose to allocate that way. The costing and point expenditure in point buy happens independently of and prior to the addition of racial ability score bonuses. Remember, with Point buy you can have 15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8, for a final score total of 72 (after you add your racial 2 and 1), or you can have 12, 12, 12, 13, 13, 13, for a final score total of 78 (after you ass your racial 1 and 2); how you choose to allocate determines your final 'total' numeric score, which I've always felt is a pretty shoddy metric to be using as a comparative Anyway, but it's universal and unaffected by what racial ability bonuses you have or where they go.

- The game is forcefully telling you to do nothing. You can build your character however you please, and know that you will be able to attain the optimums for what you want eventually. If you refuse to build the way you want to because you've decided that it's 'sub-optimal', whatever that means in a roleplaying game, that's entirely a player decision, and one would hope that they only make that decision because doing so makes them happier than building the way they originally wanted to.

Let's take that Eldritch Knight for example - you want strength base as your weapon of choice, and you want to be wise, so as to have good perception. Easy enough, sure:

(Build Discussion)

Point buy:
Str: 14
Dex: 8
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 15
Cha: 8

High Elf adds: Dex +2, Int +1, for a final total score of 74 - in the middle of the range.

You're a fighter, so at level 4 you add 1 to Wisdom and one to Int
At 6, you boost wisdom again, and at 8 you do it again.
At 12 you start on Strength, and at 14 and 16 you can do the same
At 19, you've got your Strength and Wisdom capped out at 20, so you can raise your Con further, maybe boost your spell DC with Int, or perhaps take a feat. You could do this earlier - boosting whichever score you felt needed it the most at the time, of course.

Point is - if you WANT to make an EK with super high wisdom, you certainly can. EK uses at least one martial ability score for their weapon use, is a fighter and so is likely considered a front liner, and uses Int as their casting ability, so if you WANT to spread yourself over Wisdom as well as the abilities core to the class, you certainly can - that's your choice. You'll end up lacking in some area, most likely, because you can't be excellent at every ability score, and making 4 scores competitively high is a big ask for anyone. Maybe you don't necessarily intend to have the wisdom of literal demigods, and just want to be pretty perceptive - you can allocate those points elsewhere or substitute on of them for a perception-based feat. all perfectly valid choices.

Will you have an easier time of it if you play into the natural-born propensities of your birth race? Probably. Is it necessary? No. Is the game 'forcefully compelling' you do do so? Not in a month of Sundays - that's all player-imposed.

If a player literally cannot have fun playing their character unless they are optimally streamlined, that's the player's own problem - that's not the game, and it's not the game's fault or duty to accommodate their narrow purview of fun either; that player is perfectly capable of using the system TO create an optimally streamlined character if that's what they want and enjoy. If they'd rather build a character to suit the roleplay concept they think they'll enjoy instead they can do that too. It's a roleplaying game - play the character you want to play and have fun with it.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
You are married to the idea that character attributes represents a uniform biological difference in dnd races. They have decided culture, training and individuality(ie varies more person to person, than culture to culture )is actually the dominant factor in attributes.

It just comes down to your personal preference, you like the idea that race is the primary determiner of a character's potential. Many prefer the creator. The big issue you bring up MIGHT be a lack of guidance/lore about the standard culture, for those who want to lean into the tropes of that background. However, its likely many races will come with recommendations of background.

It makes character creation better imo. In the bonded system, +4 attribute points is a pretty major effect, especially in levels 1-10 where most people play.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by professoryins
You are married to the idea that character attributes represents a uniform biological difference in dnd races. They have decided culture, training and individuality(ie varies more person to person, than culture to culture )is actually the dominant factor in attributes.

It just comes down to your personal preference, you like the idea that race is the primary determiner of a character's potential. Many prefer the creator. The big issue you bring up MIGHT be a lack of guidance/lore about the standard culture, for those who want to lean into the tropes of that background. However, its likely many races will come with recommendations of background.

It makes character creation better imo. In the bonded system, +4 attribute points is a pretty major effect, especially in levels 1-10 where most people play.
The primary determiner is still point buy/standard array. Race is in the end just a background modifier which makes sense. You can make a clumsy elf but because elves are naturally dexterous that clumsy elf would still be equal to normal (but not trained) humans.
Background does not make sense at all. Why would a noble automatically be charismatic?

Last edited by Ixal; 28/08/22 02:25 PM.
P
apprentice
apprentice
P
a player is always playing a person who is exceptional. its not a question of, are all halflings and orcs the same strength, as much as are any halflings anywhere in any circumstance as strong as orcs.

Irl humans for example. the actual shortest human ever is 21 inches(54.6cm) and the largest ever is 8ft 11in. Also note, the strongest recorded human was only 5' 8". The concept that no possible halfing is ever by any twist of fate, in any plane, strong is unlikely. Keep in mind as well, background is only an optional version of why your character is the way it is. It would also include being raised on a planet with 2x gravity, or imbibing a magical potion.

background has to represent the sum total of all possible experiences a character may have had before meeting other players. The attributes don't represent what is common, they represent what is possible.

Is it possible that before you met that halfling, he was experimented on by a mad scientist in another plane? Or that a human had suffered a fall at 6 years old and has brain damage? It was always unlikely that no possible circumstance in a magic, multiplanar world could explain why any specific creature might have certain statistics. This game world is tied to mtg, and the variation is large.

veteran
veteran
The more i think about this ... and the more i read that document, the more i like this new version ... bcs it seems to me like it finaly resolves that stat topic we were discusing here not so long ago ...

Yes, Dwarves should be "more resilient" ... except they are not.
Yes, Half-Orcs should be "stronger" ... except they are not.
They both simply start closer to finish line, but once you reach it ... everybody is the same. :-/ Halfling, Dwarf, Half-Orc, pure Orc ... nobody can surpass 20 ...

Now all Dwarves get bonus HP ... so no matter how far you get, your Dwarf will allways be tougher compared to Human ...
Now Orcs are concidered one size larger, when they carry weight is calculated ... so no matter how far you get, your Orc is still stronger compared to Human ...

And i like it this way, it fits me much better than:
"Congratulations ... you rolled 18 ... add your racial bonus ... and thats it! Your character just reached its full potential right at the very start of his adventures ... from now on tho, he will never ever ever gets stronger, no matter what you do! Have fun."

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
P
apprentice
apprentice
P
the backgrounds they show are suggestions. They are giving you one possible reason for those stats, for those who need guidance. A noble might be more charismatic due to training on how to influence people. Some one else might just be born that way, yet another's mother may have used a wish for a charismatic daughter.

the old system limited your starting stats by race. Suggesting NO level 1 orc could be as dexterous as the most dextrous elf, no matter their birth, training, plane, magic etc.

the old system didnt say what is common, it said what was possible. In the world and setting of dnd, its unlikely that there aren't exceptions to any norm.

What is normal, and what is possible are two different things

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
- The nice thing about the bounded limits of 5e is that you are, quite literally not always behind the character playing a race that is natively well suited to your class; If you both train hard, learn hard, and achieve your optimum, becoming the best individual that you can possibly be, then at the end of the day you will reach the SAME maximum. They have a head start, but the top of the podium is in the same place and you can both reach it.
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
And i like it this way, it fits me much better than:
"Congratulations ... you rolled 18 ... add your racial bonus ... and thats it! Your character just reached its full potential right at the very start of his adventures ... from now on tho, he will never ever ever gets stronger, no matter what you do! Have fun."
I'd be in favor of different races having different Ability Score maximums. Orcs can reach 22 strength; Dwarves 22 Con; Gnomes 22 Int; Elves 22 Dex; etc.

In my mind, it's perfectly fine that some races (essentially species) are just physically/mentally different. Orcs have certain chemicals or body structure that allows them to gain *more* muscle than other races; Elves' magic allows them to react faster and be more graceful than any other race; Gnomes's brains just have more neurons/different neuron structure than other races, etc. E.g., a peak Cat will be more dextrous but less strong than a dog; the smartest corvid will be smarter than an the smartest...owl? (google says that owls are fairly dumb).

As I mentioned previously, I'd also be fine with racial traits being more impactful. Orcs get expertise in athletics and can more easily resist being shoved, etc.
Alternatively, I'm always in favor of the mixed-ASI-origins: +1 from race, +1 from background, +1 from class.

D
addict
addict
D
All of this can be easily house ruled (or modded, in the case where it is applied to BG3).

I guess if you don't like the change it can't hurt to complain about it. But in the end it doesn't really matter, since you and your group can easily make the change if Wizards does not.

Last edited by dwig; 28/08/22 04:31 PM.
veteran
veteran
Before, or maybe at, level 1 your character isn't any more special than any other specimen of your race. Saying that culture is the a factor on your abilities is commentary from a real world perspective where we only have one race, and saying that the people of earth have different racial abilities because of the culture they came from is just the sort of thing I thought they were trying to avoid here. As for individual endeavor factoring into it, there already seems to be a system in place that represents that, character creation deals just with your starting attributes, your journey as an exceptional individual is already in the game. And again, everything you're saying deals only with the physical attributes, what about every races differing mental attributes.

Stat maximums or minimums are ideas I like, the highest a attribute can go for some races without magical or supernatural intervention. The kind that a group of adventurers typically find.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
Yeah Attributes in D&D are pretty bizarre as a construct and could probably use a further overhaul.

I feel what's needed is a bit of a Zeno's paradox type situation for the Attributes, you know where when you get closer to either extreme (high or low) it should push out to create room for more nuance.

Maybe similar to way 18 Strength worked in 2e for Martial classes (from 18/01 to 18/99 or 18/00), but just doing that for every attribute? The high end is now 20 rather than 18 like it used to be, but they could do something similar. Perhaps 20/01 to 20/00, where the second value can capture more of the flavor element?

So say a Human can hit a 20/99 in STR but a Halfling caps out at 20/50 (to represent them being Half the size?) or similarly maybe an Orc never rolls lower than a 20/75 for STR because they're pretty huge? But then Orc might take a hit in INT or whatever, capping at 20/25 there. Perhaps Elves and Halflings never roll lower than 20/75 for DEX, because they're supposed to be all naturally dexterous that way etc. Then do that same sort of thing for all 6 attributes whenever they hit the 20. Sure it's a bit sleight of hand to just move another column over to the right for everything lol, but at least it'd providing for a large spread. Save anything higher than a 20/00 for monsters and demi-gods and whatnot.

I also feel like the low end is kind of wasted. The difference between say a 1 or 2 and a 3 in INT (to accommodate monsters and beasts vs 'intelligent creatures') is fairly huge, but then there's also a pretty massive gap between 3 and that baseline range of 8 and up, for the sort of standard starting range INT for PC's. It's a bit weird to do a scheme at base 10, but then to go all skipping about and having it where only even values make a difference. Almost to the point where it's like why even bother counting up 1-20 if so many of the intermediate values aren't really used for anything? Instead it might be interesting if 2 was the base starting value for PC attributes, and anything lower works similar to the 20 at the high end. Basically 1/01 to 1/00 covering everything from earthworms to the smartest of beasts and children in the case of INT. Just to open up the spread so it covers more of the fullest possible range.

I don't know, obviously that's all a bit vague and I'm just spitballing here, cause none of the numbers in D&D actually mean anything until the rest of mechanics are built out around them, but it just seems like we could use a bit more room with the min/max values at the high and low end. Just to accommodate some of the older ideas about what the attributes were meant to suggest vs how they actually worked in the mechanics of the gameplay.

I like this idea, I'd been toying with something similar, where everyone starts at 10 and your experience gained goes directly into the development of your attributes, with your race, background, and class changing the gain or requirement for different attributes. The idea to double the range came up as a way of making the differences more meaningful, but after a while I had to step back and admit that I what I was making probably wasn't D&D anymore. I like classless systems, and leveless systems too really, so anytime I try to rework a system in D&D it ends up taking a little too much from that school.

Like maybe we could change it so that everyone's attributes starts at 1, then they go through a Traveller style lifepath that brings their stats up to around 10, with different races having an easier time of beating the mean.

I like the idea of having each race have a stat maximum that when reached opens up into it's own range, maybe a system like this could be used so that different races have an easier time getting through that range.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by Sozz
Like maybe we could change it so that everyone's attributes starts at 1, then they go through a Traveller style lifepath that brings their stats up to around 10, with different races having an easier time of beating the mean.

I like the idea of having each race have a stat maximum that when reached opens up into it's own range, maybe a system like this could be used so that different races have an easier time getting through that range.

OOOH! Can we include a chance to die in character creation?

(I don't think traveler has that anymore, but I played Traveler in the early 80's, and it was definitely a thing then).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
I'd be in favor of different races having different Ability Score maximums. Orcs can reach 22 strength; Dwarves 22 Con; Gnomes 22 Int; Elves 22 Dex; etc.
As i stated in that previous topic, this would be prefectly acceptable for me aswell ...

But there was counterarguments ...
Some of them feeled a little weak ...
Like saying that 20 is numeric equivalent of apex of any mortal capabilities ... personaly i believe that if rules would say that racial bonuses working as you described, some races would simply get apex on 22.
And nobody would say anything against it, since it would "allways be that way". laugh

But some of them were quite good ...
Like pointing out that there is minor mechanical problem:
Even characters who get +1 should be "slightly better" by this logic ... but 21 mechanicaly equals 20. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
D
addict
addict
D
If you plan to add racial maximums to the game for the sake of realism, you may want to consider just what is needed to be realistic.

For instance, compare a human and a halfling. Lets assume same "shape", but the human is twice the height. Since volume is the product of three dimensions, and mass is proportional to volume, that means the human is 8 times the mass.

Strength will roughly scale as the cross sectional area of the muscles, which in turn should scale with the square of the height (again, assuming the same shape). That means that a human built identically to a halfling should be 4 times as strong. A +2 advantage for the human relative to the halfling isn't anywhere close to large enough!

Quickness of movement (ie. dexterity) should scale as strength/mass, so the halfling gets an advantage of a factor of 2 here. Factor of 2, not +2.

I submit that the structure of D&D simply does not allow this difference to be realistically contained within the rules in a fun way. For similar reasons there are no rules to support sexual dimorphism. After all, it is supremely silly to go after a dragon with a sword for ANY humanoid, and yet we pretend that this is OKAY within the context of the game. If a human male can do it, why not a halfling or a human female. The scale of that deed is already absurd enough that it is silly to try to draw distinctions between the various tiny (compared to dragon) creatures that will encounter it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dwig
If you plan to add racial maximums to the game for the sake of realism, you may want to consider just what is needed to be realistic.

For instance, compare a human and a halfling. Lets assume same "shape", but the human is twice the height. Since volume is the product of three dimensions, and mass is proportional to volume, that means the human is 8 times the mass.

Strength will roughly scale as the cross sectional area of the muscles, which in turn should scale with the square of the height (again, assuming the same shape). That means that a human built identically to a halfling should be 4 times as strong. A +2 advantage for the human relative to the halfling isn't anywhere close to large enough!

Quickness of movement (ie. dexterity) should scale as strength/mass, so the halfling gets an advantage of a factor of 2 here. Factor of 2, not +2.

I submit that the structure of D&D simply does not allow this difference to be realistically contained within the rules in a fun way. For similar reasons there are no rules to support sexual dimorphism. After all, it is supremely silly to go after a dragon with a sword for ANY humanoid, and yet we pretend that this is OKAY within the context of the game. If a human male can do it, why not a halfling or a human female. The scale of that deed is already absurd enough that it is silly to try to draw distinctions between the various tiny (compared to dragon) creatures that will encounter it.
But we're not aiming for 100% realism when we (I) say that there should be racial ASIs, maximum/minimums, and/or impactful racial characteristics. All that stuff you mentioned is more detail than is necessary. There's a happy middle ground between "all races are similar enough so we'll give them the same stats" and "every race's exact biology is painstakingly calculated to give precise bonuses and penalties."

Also, you are making assumptions here that halflings are built the same as a human, just smaller. They're a fantasy race - they could very well have denser (or entirely different) muscles than humans, and thus easily more than 1/4 as strong as a human.

The structure of D&D is fairly flexible and allows for a lot, and should make sense at a broad level, but it's just as obviously fantasy: not a 100% accurate physics simulator. Giving a +1 or +2 bonus to an ability score is more than enough in my mind to reflect racial differences without getting into the complex, nitty-gritty details of biology and physics. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
I seem to recall older D&D had different racial stat caps no? Items like Belt of Hill Giant Strength could be used to exceed those caps(it bothers me that the Club of Hill Giant Strength in BG3 only raises str to 15).

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by OcO
I seem to recall older D&D had different racial stat caps no? Items like Belt of Hill Giant Strength could be used to exceed those caps(it bothers me that the Club of Hill Giant Strength in BG3 only raises str to 15).

First edition had different strength caps for each of the races. Half-Orcs could have 19 strength, human males could have 18/00 (which was very close to 19 gameplay wise) and the other races (and human females) had caps at lower d100 levels. I *think* that halflings were capped at 17, but I may be misremembering that.

Some of that remained the same in 2nd edition, but I think the different caps for male and female were removed (they certainly were not present in BG1/2 at least).

EDIT: this is superfluous at this point... but I looked it up just now, and apparently half-orc fighters had a maximum strength of 18/99 (male) or 18/75 (female). They did get a +1 to strength, but it was wasted if they rolled an 18 (in 1rst ed). They could exploit that +1 in second edition to start with a very sexy 19 strength though, regardless of gender.

Last edited by dwig; 28/08/22 11:14 PM.
D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
The structure of D&D is fairly flexible and allows for a lot, and should make sense at a broad level, but it's just as obviously fantasy: not a 100% accurate physics simulator. Giving a +1 or +2 bonus to an ability score is more than enough in my mind to reflect racial differences without getting into the complex, nitty-gritty details of biology and physics. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

At the end of the day, I do believe that you should add +2's or +1's to your hearts content, if that's what makes the game work for you. My point was simply that it is not realistic that way, or the way they used to do it, or the way they do it now. Its all arbitrary to a fairly large degree.

This is why I am not bothered by the change, though I'm not exactly thrilled about it either. No matter what the system is, any rules adhered to slavishly are going to act as a roadblock to fun at some point in time.

For what its worth, I like the Warhammer system better, where Elves and Dwarves have dramatically better stats than humans, but pay for it with restrictive social rules.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
so basically what you are saying is, in the situation of dnd, there is no real reason races couldn't have similar stats, since its fantasy, a game, and represents a reality we are unfamiliar with. Chimpanzees for example are 1.35 times stronger than humans on average. average height 3 ft 3.

so really it just comes down to either liking to have race controlling stats or not, and logic/realism really having nothing to do with it.

Which is fair as an opinion, but its not the only way to do things.

the new system in my opinion is superior because

1)its a more flexible creation system in a game.
2)it allows your table/players to either follow the norms or not, as they wish and can conform to either preference. GM could easily tie certain backgrounds to certain races.
3)its likely more balanced

the old system generally made players either totally ignore the race aspect for those who don't min max, or to Tailor the race to fit the utility of the charachter, not the story or desire of the player.

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard