Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
Originally Posted by JandK
(Please note: this is NOT a thread about how you shouldn't have to self-restrict because the game should blah blah whatever. Please save those comments for elsewhere.)

Seriously.

To be fair, in a thread discussing self-restrictions, the person's feelings toward and motivation behind those restrictions or why not using them, is kinda needed for a deeper discussion.

For example, Niara could have stopped after "Unless I'm doing a specific test or an experiment to gather data, I generally don't 'restrict' myself at all when I play".

How much information do you, we and in particular, Larian get from that sentence? Pretty much nothing.

Last edited by PrivateRaccoon; 07/09/22 09:05 AM.
JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
To be fair, in a thread discussing self-restrictions, the person's feelings toward and motivation behind those restrictions or why not using them, is kinda needed for a deeper discussion.

For example, Niara could have stopped after "Unless I'm doing a specific test or an experiment to gather data, I generally don't 'restrict' myself at all when I play".

How much information do you, we and in particular, Larian get from that sentence? Pretty much nothing.

I disagree.

This is not a poll asking people if and why they restrict themselves. This is a lighthearted thread about what restrictions people do use, largely so folks can talk about their playstyles, but also so people can get new ideas for refreshing ways to play.

It was *specifically* asked at the start of this thread that people don't post those kind of things. It was *specifically* mentioned that this post isn't about that. There are a thousand other posts where that dead horse can be beaten some more, but it seems like some folks literally just can't help themselves.

So I'm asking again. Please have the common courtesy to take those comments elsewhere. Pretty please. With a cherry on top.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
Unless I'm doing a specific test or an experiment to gather data, I generally don't 'restrict' myself at all when I play.

This is the problem, really: If I'm playing for enjoyment and just trying to have fun with the game, then, for me, that usually involves being as effective in combat as is reasonably, tactically possible, and making the most effective choices I can see to make at any given point. I'd like to have a reasonable level of challenge and for the game to feel fair and legitimate as I play, and I don't want to feel like I'm handicapping myself for the sake of making things more challenging or more believable, because that's counter-immersive. I also don't want to feel like I'm cheating the game, or abusing broken AI or mechanics (these *should* be very simple needs to meet in any video game, and they are for just about every other major game I've played).

So, I play the game as the game asks itself to be played, and use all of the broken, stupid mechanics that it offers, because they are almost always the best option. Sure I use spells and class abilities too, but most of the time, being effective and efficient means abusing the homebrew and the shoddy broken mechanics heavily... so I use them when it seems tactically efficient to do so, which is often.

I very quickly lose any sense of enjoyment or fun with the game, despite the fact that I'm literally playing for fun and enjoyment; combats are a chore and not engaging, and are functionally impossible to lose, but arbitrarily limiting my options to create challenge or to create a semblance of better believability kills my ability to enjoy the game just as, if not even more, quickly.

Before long, I'm not really having fun either way - the writing and the story certainly isn't engaging enough to keep me with it through and in spite of the other detractors, at this point, nor are most of the characters, or the scene direction.

My engagement is actually highest when I'm running a specific experiment to analyse or assess an element of the game, for reporting purposes - but that's engagement in a project that I want to complete, not engagement in a game that I'm enjoying. As a game to enjoy playing, I find the design makes it impossible for me to enjoy, no matter how I choose to play, which is a remarkable feat, considering that this is exactly the genre of game I do generally enjoy; no matter how I play or what I do, it results in overpoweringly strong elements that sap the fun and engagement from the game very quickly.

I couldn't have said it better so I'll just 100% +1 this.

old hand
old hand
This is not a poll asking people if and why they restrict themselves. This is a lighthearted thread about what restrictions people do use, largely so folks can talk about their playstyles, but also so people can get new ideas for refreshing ways to play.
Part of the problem could be that the word "restriction" is commonly considered negative. For many of us, the restrictions or self imposed rules or whatever you want to call them actually make the game more interesting and immersive, but for others, the thought of not allowing themselves to do something just doesn't make any sense.

These might be less like restrictions and more like challenge playthroughs, but once the game is released I will try an only magic run (no weapons allowed,) and a no magic run (which will be the hardest for me because I love crowd control spells.)

JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Zarna
I will try an only magic run (no weapons allowed,) and a no magic run (which will be the hardest for me because I love crowd control spells.)

An "only magic run" with no weapons would be really cool. I'd like to see someone do that on Youtube.

A no magic run would be interesting if that included not using potions or anything to heal. Maybe Okta's gruel would still be available for healing?

And I wonder if things like the void bulbs or caustic bulbs are considered magic?

veteran
veteran
And I wonder if things like the void bulbs or caustic bulbs are considered magic?
Since right now even bag of smokepowder is?
Certainly. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Personally I don't find restrictions immersion breaking or work etc. I use them because I enjoy using them and I have always employed "restrictions" in pretty much every game I've played. Its just my homebrew.

old hand
old hand
1. I will play without helmets (protection from critical hits), at most a hood for my thief and circlets for everyone else.
2. I will also not carry around extra equipment or weapons that grant special spells in my inventory just so I can use them.
3. I won't kill companions for their gear.

I will rather sell those items.

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 16/09/22 05:45 PM.
old hand
old hand
An "only magic run" with no weapons would be really cool. I'd like to see someone do that on Youtube.

A no magic run would be interesting if that included not using potions or anything to heal. Maybe Okta's gruel would still be available for healing?

Only magic in the current content is really easy. I feel that even if they removed the stealth bonus action it would still be easy. Would be nice to have enemies later on that are resistant to most types of magic, or areas with an antimagic effect like we get with the Sussur bloom.

A no magic run without using potions is probably doable, but might be a pain for people who use any melee party members. Any potions we can craft with herbs should be acceptable, currently I don't think this includes healing potions.

Four ranged rogues could have a fairly easy time of it, even easier by using poisons (herbalism) and dipping cheese (I can do mental gymnastics to consider it acceptable even though I think it is stupid, if the user is carrying a bottle of grease around as well and replaces it after each long rest.)

The bulb items I probably would consider acceptable use (Aren't they some sort of illithid biological based item?) Same with Alchemist's Fire (have always considered them similar to a Molotov) and Grease bottles (it's grease.)

Originally Posted by Ranxerox
Personally I don't find restrictions immersion breaking or work etc. I use them because I enjoy using them and I have always employed "restrictions" in pretty much every game I've played. Its just my homebrew.
Same

Last edited by Zarna; 17/09/22 10:28 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard