Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#829971 17/09/22 02:41 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict
What class/race will your character/origin character be in your first play through when we finally get full release?

I have an neutral evil wizard character I've been developing that I'll probably use at this point.

Ranxerox #829976 17/09/22 03:35 PM
veteran
veteran
Initially I thought, in honor of my very first guy all those years ago in Candlekeep, I'd make a gnome thief/illusionist, but I'm wondering if I won't play an origin character first.

My first EA character was a Halfling Wizard, and I still kind of want to continue her story, too. I'll really have to wait to see what the game will be like closer to release I think

Ranxerox #829979 17/09/22 03:47 PM
veteran
veteran
A (mostly) good elf sorcerer!

Ranxerox #829984 17/09/22 04:13 PM
veteran
veteran
I gues it really depends on what we will have in the end ... and how it will look.

I would really like to start with my kinda Chaotic Neutral Half-Orc Barbarian ...
But if Half-Orcs wouldnt look as i would like, im not sure if i ever will. :-/

So in that case either Gnome Wizard, or Tiefling Warlock ...
Most likely Warlock tho. smile

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Ranxerox #829985 17/09/22 04:20 PM
veteran
veteran
Well if you had asked me before EA, I would have said without a doubt that my first playthrough would be a chaotic/neutral good tiefling warlock (Fey patron pact of the blade) as well, but honestly I think there's a decent chance I go with a neutral good seladrine drow ranger. I played that (tried and failed to go evil) early on in EA so that I wouldn't burn myself out on warlock come full release and I really enjoyed it.

Ranxerox #829986 17/09/22 04:36 PM
addict
addict
Most likely a female Wood elf Bard (College of Lore).
She went to Baldur's Gate so she could have more opportunities to learn about bards and their music/magic.

She's also a Guild Artisan. Mostly working with wood (Duh).
At first, she was mainly crafting bows and training swords. But then, she learned to craft wooden musical instruments as well.
I'm envisioning her as some sort of Will Turner (from PoTC) where she learns to craft and also to use what she crafts.

I already have the lists of spell I want her to learn (I've made a spreadsheet 😅).
The spells were selected according to my own interpretation of racial/class traits and her personality.

To give a few examples of how my logic works:
  • Mask of the Wild (Wood elf trait)? Seems to me like the next step should be Disguise Self and (Greater) Invisibility.
  • Fleet of Foot (Wood elf trait)? How about Misty Step?
  • She's from a forest and has Fey Ancestry? Conjure Woodland Beings, right up! Might as well learn Speak with Animals (and maybe Conjure Animals) while we're there.
  • She wants to be a proper bard? Better learn spells like Dissonant Whispers, Thunderwave, Calm Emotion and Hypnotic Pattern.
  • She's a good noodle? Healing Word (and maybe Greater Restoration) then.

I hope the conjuring spells will be done well. We will see ^^

My next pick would be a male Seldarine Drow Sorcerer.

Ranxerox #829992 17/09/22 05:05 PM
veteran
veteran
I have no clue - it all depends who will be the remaining companions. I don't have a class that I have particular interest in at the moment. I was thinking that bard is a good option, as I am unlikely to take Astarion, but I didn't enjoy playing as bard much so far. Reaction revamp might change it, but it might not. We will see.

Ranxerox #829995 17/09/22 05:27 PM
veteran
veteran
My first playthrough will probably be as an origin character, but my first Tav...

...is hard to say because there's still so much I haven't seen. Subclasses for the wizard, the assassin for the rogue, and the champion for the fighter. Not to mention the monk and paladin, of course.

At the moment I'm leaning toward a githyanki wizard with the soldier background.

Ranxerox #829997 17/09/22 06:11 PM
veteran
veteran
Aasimar (cries) Paladin.

Ranxerox #830014 18/09/22 02:18 AM
addict
addict
First: AvahZ Darkwood (N/G)
Half-Elf Fighter/Druid or Paladin (Oath of Ancients) depending on how it’s implemented.
Will save everyone at grove. May use illithid power up to first ability.

Second: Cobalt Walker (C/E)
Human: Paladin Oath Breaker if possible. If not Paladin/Warlock patron Atropos (Great Old one if I have to would rather be The Undead) https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Atropus
http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/warlock:undead
Will side with the Goblins to ruin the grove to spite Sylvanus. Hates the gods and all they stand for (All thing’s die and so should the gods). Will not use the illithid powers.

Third: Myst Windlore (T/N)
Elf: Sorcerer (Silver Dragon) specializes in Ice Magics (No not a Disney copy lol, she was an original in og BG)
Will save all in Grove. Will use illithid power, may stop at first power.

Fourth: Rah Rah (C/N)
Drow: Bard/Thief
Will steal idol for Mol and thus kill Druids. Kill goblins (Not a Spider Queen Draw) Will use illithid power sparingly. Will join the Zhentarim. Yes, you can join them in EA. Have to be a Thief and convince (don’t remember his name) the guy you saved from the gnolls to sell the chest.

But wait there’s MORE smile

Fifth: Zebulon (C/N)
Tiefling: Barbarian
Will kill Druids, kill goblins and use the illithid power how ever he wants.

Ranxerox #830016 18/09/22 03:03 AM
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
My char will likely be a drow necormancer - if no necromancer then warlock. Playing an entirely evil character that wants to secretly destroy baulders gate and enslave everything and everyone, and once they are all enslaved, go on an torture the nps until they die.

Oh my second play through, play a square who is purely good to a fault. That class will be a elf who is a Druid duel classing with a bard.

The final play through will be a chaotic prick that will be astarions / raphael’s favourite best friend. This character will be a tiefling and have a class of blood rager.

Ranxerox #830024 18/09/22 08:16 AM
old hand
old hand
I'm going with custom party and already have two chars set in stone:

Of course Lotus a V-Human - Thief (LVL 12) - Dual wielding hand crossbows and I hope they add Ninjatōs (a variant of short swords) for more flavor to the game. The background will be Criminal for now, as long as they don't add my beloved Faction Agent.

Nyria a V-Human - Trickery Cleric (LVL 4) / Lore Bard (LVL 8) of Waukeen - club with shield + lute and hopefully a blowpipe (to give the coup de grace) for flavor. She will hopefully be a Guild Merchant for either alchemy or gems, as befits a rogue mercenary band.

I will also be joining the Zhentarim. But as of now, it's more Robin Hood-like. We will see how it goes on with the Zhentarim until the end of the game. I plan to accompany them on a better path. I like their "gray" style. At least the smarter ones of them know that they shouldn't be too cruel, because it makes no sense to rule over a graveyard. Dead people don't bring income. I want to use their family ties to do good from the shadows. In their competition, they end up fighting other evil factions. So far, I've been able to make good decisions to do this (e.g., convincing Brem to release Oskar). However, if they really only stand out as abysmally evil later in the game (i.e., from the options available to us), then I'll weed them out and join The Guild instead. Since I'm a mercenary, I can hopefully join several organizations and infiltrate and betray one or the other if necessary.

I don't know the other two character slots yet. I would like to have them filled with non-PHB classes. Currently they would be:

Rakdos a Zariel-Tiefling Berserker all the time throwing enemies and items in his frenzy mode. I would also love to multiclass him with the https://www.5esrd.com/database/classoption/thrown-weapons-master-3pp/ I really love this because it's just something new and varied to the usual ranged combat style with bows or spells. I would also complement it with a slingshot, which is also a strength-based weapon. However, I can also imagine playing him as a Gloomstalker / Blood Hunter (Profane Soul) with Bounty Hunter background. But then I lose the alternative ranged playstyle (frenzy mode for BA ranged attack is just too elemental). I'm also a bit skeptical about Blood Rites, because of Speak with Dead. If I kill every enemy with elemental damage the spell is useless. Well, but these subclasses probably won't find their way into the game yet, and I would have time to test NPCs that are eligible for Speak with Dead during playthroughs. On the other hand I'm thinking about Gandrel (at least Monsterhunter subclass?) and there are rumors about Helia a Werewolf counterpart to Astarion (which implies a BH with Order of the Lycan subclass).

The last slot is currently planned for a Battlemaster Half Orc named Sorin. And there are many other awesome non PHB Classes I cant mentioned too often: Arcane Archer, Raven Knight, Hexblade, Echo Knight, Artificier. You know its difficult, especially with just a limited Party of 4...

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 18/09/22 08:34 AM.
Ranxerox #830030 18/09/22 12:21 PM
O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
If the modding gods love me...
Thri-Kreen - Beast Master Ranger/Rogue(exact blend depends on lvl cap). Sentinel whip & shield + dual hand crossbows. Requires mods for both race and whip as a weapon option.

I'll be lucky though if Thri-Kreen is added at all, let alone for release so more likely...
Custom Drow couple. Light Cleric & Warlock. Possibly both dual class not 100% sure yet. They would be joining the above Tav for a custom 3 some party( O.o ) start if I can make him.

Ranxerox #830039 18/09/22 01:54 PM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I haven't decided yet. Before I can know I need to know...

1. If there are going to be any unexpected classes or subclasses added.
2. If there are going to be any unexpected races added.
3. What companions will be in the game at launch.
4. Will companions be class locked.
5. What will all of the origin options be? Because if a particularly awesome origin character comes out - I may play as them in my first play through. So far none of the available ones would appeal to me over Tav though. I actually tend to prefer this route (as an example I think playing as Geralt in The Witcher and Kratos in God of War is a lot more interesting than build-your-own)... but none of the origin characters come off as that amazing to me. They seem great as companions and to learn about - but not to play as.

Ranxerox #830061 18/09/22 05:55 PM
old hand
old hand
Probably a boring ass Human College of Valor Bard. I'd hope Variant Human is a thing so I can get Sharpshooter feat right off the bat.

If BG3 decides to change Paladin smite mechanics so that you can smite with ranged weapons, I'd probably entertain a 2 level multiclass dip into Paladin and then take advantage of all the Bard spell slots to be constantly smiting. Especially considering that Bards don't have much in the way of direct offensive spells. Though depending on where the final level cap is, this might not be that good of a plan (since I would be delaying Magical Secrets by 2 levels doing this, and that's something Valor Bards normally get at level 10).

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 18/09/22 05:56 PM.
Ranxerox #830079 19/09/22 12:30 AM
veteran
veteran
I'll probably make my two current p&p characters:

Liya Tana - halfelf lore bard/ archfey warlock

Olenna Shadowblade - tiefling hexblade/ sorcerer ( clockwork in p&p, but with sorcerer I'm open to most subclasses, the hexblade will be modded - there already is a great hexblade mod out there).

As a maybe third playthrough:

Mirabelle Layne- gnome rogue/ wizard

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Ranxerox #830088 19/09/22 07:28 AM
old hand
old hand
Main playthrough will be neutral evil Drow Lolth Sworn ranger hunter ( or Gloomstalker if added by mods.) This will most likely be using companions.

Will also play Draconic sorcerer, race probably some sort of elf or half elf and alignment probably some sort of neutral or evil. This will most likely be in a full or partial custom group depending on which companions annoy me the least after my first playthrough. If full custom then I will also have a rogue, ranger, and warlock or wizard to make up the rest of the party.

Ranxerox #830093 19/09/22 11:22 AM
veteran
veteran
Lore bard, either half wood elf or drow.
In BG1 I had a bard and it was the most useless char in my party.
Since then I wanted to play a bard again to redeem them but it never happened so far.
Now that they are full casters and skill monkeys they look good.
I try to be chaotic good and not using tadpole at all.

The game looks so huge that I will be happy to finish it once.
But if I play it again maybe as evil paladin of vengeance.
I like it that paladins are no longer forced to be lawful good.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
Ranxerox #830103 19/09/22 01:59 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I generally like to play as a half-elf ranger, but I'm giving bard a try this go-round.

Ranxerox #830178 20/09/22 12:26 PM
T
stranger
stranger
T
A Githyanki Eldritch Knight that's both ally and an arrogant competitor to Lae'zel.
Unconditional service to Vlaakith.
Would go straight to the Githyanki creche at release and not bother with the teethlings ^^

Last edited by Tandi; 20/09/22 12:49 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard