Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
GM4Him #829835 15/09/22 02:42 AM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I've honestly come to terms with it. It won't be a game-breaker without Day/Night especially since after the initial area you'll be traveling to:

Shadow Cursed Land. No sun
Moonrise Towers. Likely no sun.
Probably more dark dungeons. No sun.
Baldur's Gate eventually and most likely, which will probably be besieged with no sun.

Yeah. We're talking a lot of work for them to do for not a big part of the game, most likely, maybe, I'm assuming, and guessing, because I really know nothing.😌

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
I don't think a "day/night cycle" is a good qualifier on whether the game will be good or not anyway.
And would you honestly say that anybody do?

Call me sceptical but this seems like regular "i will ignore everything and call this absolute trash hoping that will give me what i want" situation...
Its quite common theese days around internet. laugh

In the words of the senior NCO instructor at cadet battalion:
“If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying. And if you got caught you didn’t try hard enough!”
GM4Him #829924 16/09/22 07:28 PM
M
stranger
stranger
M
just wanted to say that everything is possible in this iniverse
it is really could be proofed smilesmile

GM4Him #829926 16/09/22 07:44 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I've honestly come to terms with it. It won't be a game-breaker without Day/Night especially since after the initial area you'll be traveling to:

Baldur's Gate eventually and most likely, which will probably be besieged with no sun.

Yeah. We're talking a lot of work for them to do for not a big part of the game, most likely, maybe, I'm assuming, and guessing, because I really know nothing.😌

Yeah not a big part of the game.
I even don't understand why most games (all AAA) waste so much ressources in D/N cycle while you can just let the player play in the sun for 20 hours before let him play for 20 hours i n the shadow. This trick works well in DoS, the only game I've ever played.

You can also define that it's always rainy on the right on a pixel line and sunny on the left ! Another nice trick to cheat with the player ! It is so incredible that no one noticed anything while playing !

Last edited by Maximuuus; 16/09/22 07:46 PM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Yeah not a big part of the game.
I even don't understand why most games (all AAA) waste so much ressources in D/N cycle while you can just let the player play in the sun for 20 hours before let him play for 20 hours i n the shadow. This trick works well in DoS, the only game I've ever played.

You can also define that it's always rainy on the right on a pixel line and sunny on the left ! Another nice trick to cheat with the player ! It is so incredible that no one noticed anything while playing !

Meh. I didn't say I LIKED it. I've just come to terms with it. I mean, LOTS of OLD games have no day or night. Like the old BG games for console. 😌

GM4Him #830323 23/09/22 07:10 AM
M
stranger
stranger
M
I really disagree that it is a waste of resources - the thing is that to make day/night cycles shine the game needs features that synergize with it: large-scale free-form exploration is usually one (think Morrowind), and NPC schedules are another (think Ultima, Gothic or Skyrim). All of those games would lose a lot of their appeal if they were restricted to cheap tricks like static night/day boundaries. The same is true to a lesser extent for the original Baldur's Gate: arriving in the dark after a long journey & potentially having to contend with thieves and vampires added to the game experience.

For a game like Mass Effect where exploration exists but is restricted to specific zones and times day/night cycles aren't important - in fact, making sure that the time in game fits the story pacing is more important, especially with the focus the game has on cinematic dialogue and in-game cutscenes. That's a game which would not be improved by adding them. Both the games above and Mass Effect are good games.

You can also see an interesting tension in BG 2 which relies a lot more on pre-scripted story scenes than BG 1 where they had to resort to cheap tricks like forcing the game to Nighttime when returning to confront Bodhi after exiting the Underdark - though this specific example could have been easily solved by just moving the kidnap scene to when you enter the crypt.

But this nevertheless feeds into a dissatisfaction I have with BG 3 - I think it should be more like the first category of games, especially since Larian mentioned Ultima 7 as a game to take inspiration from. I think the proper way forward for the franchise would have been to build upon those kind of features: more exploration and an even more living world with NPC schedules, instead of moving so much into the cutscene-driven story direction instead.

So I agree that Baldur's Gate 3 would not profit much from day/night cycles, but at the same time this doesn't make me any happier since I think it's just due to them moving into the wrong direction in other aspects as well.

Final Edit: I think it is really weird to say I don't understand why all those AAA titles did it. BTW I only ever played this one game, which did not have it. Don't you feel you should have tried out some of those games to understand what it brings to the table?

Last edited by MarcAbaddon; 23/09/22 07:18 AM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by MarcAbaddon
I really disagree that it is a waste of resources - the thing is that to make day/night cycles shine the game needs features that synergize with it: large-scale free-form exploration is usually one (think Morrowind), and NPC schedules are another (think Ultima, Gothic or Skyrim). All of those games would lose a lot of their appeal if they were restricted to cheap tricks like static night/day boundaries. The same is true to a lesser extent for the original Baldur's Gate: arriving in the dark after a long journey & potentially having to contend with thieves and vampires added to the game experience.

For a game like Mass Effect where exploration exists but is restricted to specific zones and times day/night cycles aren't important - in fact, making sure that the time in game fits the story pacing is more important, especially with the focus the game has on cinematic dialogue and in-game cutscenes. That's a game which would not be improved by adding them. Both the games above and Mass Effect are good games.

You can also see an interesting tension in BG 2 which relies a lot more on pre-scripted story scenes than BG 1 where they had to resort to cheap tricks like forcing the game to Nighttime when returning to confront Bodhi after exiting the Underdark - though this specific example could have been easily solved by just moving the kidnap scene to when you enter the crypt.

But this nevertheless feeds into a dissatisfaction I have with BG 3 - I think it should be more like the first category of games, especially since Larian mentioned Ultima 7 as a game to take inspiration from. I think the proper way forward for the franchise would have been to build upon those kind of features: more exploration and an even more living world with NPC schedules, instead of moving so much into the cutscene-driven story direction instead.

So I agree that Baldur's Gate 3 would not profit much from day/night cycles, but at the same time this doesn't make me any happier since I think it's just due to them moving into the wrong direction in other aspects as well.

Final Edit: I think it is really weird to say I don't understand why all those AAA titles did it. BTW I only ever played this one game, which did not have it. Don't you feel you should have tried out some of those games to understand what it brings to the table?

If you are referring to Maximuus' post, I'm 99% sure ge was just being sarcastic.

GM4Him #830397 24/09/22 03:38 PM
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I do feel like it's such a waste of opportunity to not have Day/Night cycle when you actually went through the trouble to input mechanics that interact with it - i.e. stealth, stealing, etc.

I.e. even just in the EA, the way certain quests play out can be completely altered and freshened via interactions with the day/night cycle. Imagine infiltrating the goblin camp at night completely in stealth. Or stealing the idol while the Druids are sleeping.

Topgoon #830398 24/09/22 03:42 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Topgoon
I do feel like it's such a waste of opportunity to not have Day/Night cycle when you actually went through the trouble to input mechanics that interact with it - i.e. stealth, stealing, etc.

I.e. even just in the EA, the way certain quests play out can be completely altered and freshened via interactions with the day/night cycle. Imagine infiltrating the goblin camp at night completely in stealth. Or stealing the idol while the Druids are sleeping.

Ugh. Don't get me going again. I'm trying to live without Day/Night here. I'm trying to settle and accept subpar.

GM4Him #830546 29/09/22 01:09 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Topgoon

Ugh. Don't get me going again. I'm trying to live without Day/Night here. I'm trying to settle and accept subpar.
Pssst, what if Larian doensn't say anything because they are implementing it but have to make so many changes to the engine they keep quiet for now? Keep hoping. Keep suffering. Until the release.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18

Moderated by  Nicou 

Link Copied to Clipboard