Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
I'm well aware. We haven't seen the final result yet - including the overhaul to reactions and the large scale rework to the magic and casting system that has been spoken of and mentioned in direct dev communications; how these are delivered will ahve a significant impact on how the game feels, and how it plays - as will opinions on the game if these things are not delivered, or are delivered underwhelmingly.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Entitled with an ultimatum? That’s a double whammy

veteran
veteran
Entitled... in what way, exactly?

These are things that we know are coming, or which we've been told are. They are major elements, that will definitely affect how the game feels and plays. We haven't seen any development or progress on them yet, as we draw closer to the release time, and if they are not delivered, or delivered half-heartedly, that will affect how people view the game and its development as a result.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I’m not a fan of how OP chose to bring it up and i guess complain about it and threaten to uninstall is all. There are better ways.

old hand
old hand
I still don't think a reaction overhaul is coming (or at least not the kind of major overhaul that people want). I'm chalking that up to people reading way too much into that community manager's statement.

addict
addict
I think people are misunderstanding what BG3 is all about.

Baldur's Gate 3 is more of a dating simulator than an Baldurs gate D&D adventure game. You know where all of the development money went when developers are coming to you with their hands out whispering promises of epic adventures when all the core gameplay is either broken or missing but all of the character creation, romance and sex has been fully fleshed out.

A funny review I found that illustrate this point:

"The male vampire dude (I am also male) keeps sending me gay vibes and tries to suck my blood while saying that he "doesn't want to hurt me". He always acts like has the hots for me and my rejection seems to only encourage this behavior.

There are two women you will encounter that can join your party; an alien-looking lady without a nose that is always demanding things and telling you how terrible you are. The other chick that is the Forgotten Realms equivalent of Captain Marvel: to be a strong woman you have to be an asshole to men. Neither of these are attractive qualities.

There is a another party member I have yet to meet but can be seen in the game literature. It's some guy with the succubus grinding on his leg while suckling at his ear.

Everyone I've met so far is either a pansy or an asshole. Men always seem to have the hots for me and the women hate me.

From what I've read, the next place I get to visit is the Underdark. I'm really looking forward to my upcoming visit to this matriarchal society where I can anticipate being put down as both a human with pale skin and for being male.

This game is pushing full on sex before you even reach level 2 like its candy. I feel violated just by playing this game. And every forced romantic moment reads like the writers reaching into my pants for shits and giggles. I wanted the badass high fantasy adventure with all the foul language and inappropriate social norms and misery that trudging around in full plate in all weather conditions under the intense pressure to survive brings to the table.

This isn't Baldur's Gate. It's someone's sick romantic love fantasy SJW manifesto parading as an RPG. "

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
veteran
veteran
Ah, fair enough, Aaezil - I mistook your direction; I read it as you jumping into the present, immediate conversation, not responding to the OP, apologies for that.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
There are two women you will encounter that can join your party; an alien-looking lady without a nose that is always demanding things and telling you how terrible you are. The other chick that is the Forgotten Realms equivalent of Captain Marvel: to be a strong woman you have to be an asshole to men. Neither of these are attractive qualities.

Sorry to step off-topic, but I am constantly fascinated by people's opinions of Shadowheart. Here more than anywhere else, it feels as though they've played an entirely different game from me. Maybe it's just because I haven't played it for the past couple of patches and have missed changes, but she always seems perfectly reasonable and even-handed to me. She's like Gale-shady, but perfectly agreeable for the most part. Lae'zel is so far my favorite character but I totally get the majority of criticism about her. Not so with a lot of Shadowheart complaints.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
I think people are misunderstanding what BG3 is all about.

Baldur's Gate 3 is more of a dating simulator than an Baldurs gate D&D adventure game. You know where all of the development money went when developers are coming to you with their hands out whispering promises of epic adventures when all the core gameplay is either broken or missing but all of the character creation, romance and sex has been fully fleshed out.

A funny review I found that illustrate this point:

"The male vampire dude (I am also male) keeps sending me gay vibes and tries to suck my blood while saying that he "doesn't want to hurt me". He always acts like has the hots for me and my rejection seems to only encourage this behavior.

There is a another party member I have yet to meet but can be seen in the game literature. It's some guy with the succubus grinding on his leg while suckling at his ear.

Everyone I've met so far is either a pansy or an asshole. Men always seem to have the hots for me and the women hate me.

From what I've read, the next place I get to visit is the Underdark. I'm really looking forward to my upcoming visit to this matriarchal society where I can anticipate being put down as both a human with pale skin and for being male.

This game is pushing full on sex before you even reach level 2 like its candy. I feel violated just by playing this game. And every forced romantic moment reads like the writers reaching into my pants for shits and giggles. I wanted the badass high fantasy adventure with all the foul language and inappropriate social norms and misery that trudging around in full plate in all weather conditions under the intense pressure to survive brings to the table.

This isn't Baldur's Gate. It's someone's sick romantic love fantasy SJW manifesto parading as an RPG. "

Yes, this hilarious statement about the companions is also known to me and unfortunately I can only agree and add to it:

In general, the BG 3 companions so far have been very predictable and therefore boring. You know right away that every companion has a secret, and I find the use of an excessive number of companions with secrets quite uncreative. In the previous games they hardly had secrets, at least not to such an exaggerated extent, they were simply strong personalities from the start like Edwin the Red Wizard from Thay or Keldorn, who later had to make a difficult moral decision. As a result, there was variety. Only a few characters had real secrets, like Xzar and Montaron, so they were special because they weren't that common.

In BG 3, every companion follows what has degenerated into the mainstream path of mystery. Only Lae'zel and Kalach stand out a bit, but only because they are hardly represented in the core game world as representatives of their kind, or in other words: their races are so special that it just doesn't make sense to immerse them in an (additional) mystery.

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 30/10/22 02:45 PM.
veteran
veteran
Even more so, as if their secret weren't transparent enough, game will spoil those during character creation due to the origin system (and loading screens give up some reveals as well).

Again origins are here to blame. I remember sometime during D:OS2 production Larian saying how D:OS2 coop will not always be coop with players pursuing different, conflicting objectives. While something of that sort exists, it is very underplayed. Those open secrets seem like leftovers from this concept.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
In BG 3, every companion follows what has degenerated into the mainstream path of mystery. Only Lae'zel and Kalach stand out a bit, but only because they are hardly represented in the core game world as representatives of their kind, or in other words: their races are so special that it just doesn't make sense to immerse them in an (additional) mystery.

This is my take on the companion writing as well. They are so fully characterized around their mysteries that they seem to be at odds with the world they are actually a part of.

DOS2 actually suffered from the same problem, but the BG3 companions have the benefit of having a lot of extra writing and interactions to hide that better. That said, the most straightfoward companion in DOS2 (Beast) was also unanimously considered to be the most boring, so this kind of writing is generally what Larian's audience wants.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus

This is my take on the companion writing as well. They are so fully characterized around their mysteries that they seem to be at odds with the world they are actually a part of.

DOS2 actually suffered from the same problem, but the BG3 companions have the benefit of having a lot of extra writing and interactions to hide that better. That said, the most straightfoward companion in DOS2 (Beast) was also unanimously considered to be the most boring, so this kind of writing is generally what Larian's audience wants.

I agree with the above. Also - I do wish there were more companions that were just straightforward and 'normal' in the approach taken with them. No crazy mystery around them or anything like that... just good personality, good writing and a character that you enjoy interacting with.

That being said maybe this will be unique to the Early Access companions. Larian has hinted that more are on the way and maybe they won't have mystery whirling around them non-stop.

addict
addict
I think the characters are great - I’m loving all of the various story lines & the fact that 412 hours in I’m still seeing new conversations…
How can you not get a d&d feeling from this game? I just can’t understand that opinion - it’s still valid but I don’t get it.
If that other game is solasta - it can’t hold a candle to bg3 - tried it & it’s just not me - and I enjoyed sword coast legends !
I have a different sense to what makes a game feel d&d - has races..check..has magic..check..has classes (& my table top experience never went past 3rd edition) create my own character ..get in there and enjoy it - graphics are great, combat is fun& improving …just get patch 9 out and see what further improvements come with it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tarorn
I have a different sense to what makes a game feel d&d - has races..check..has magic..check..has classes

Since it would seem that every game from Heretic to Heroes of Might and Magic feels like playing D&d to you, it's understandable why you wouldn't understand the complaint. Don't get me wrong - that's also valid, sure... but it's worth about as much credence as a deaf person saying that they like enjoying the music and don't understand why other people are complaining that the instruments need tuning.

Last edited by Niara; 01/11/22 09:23 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
I agree with the above. Also - I do wish there were more companions that were just straightforward and 'normal' in the approach taken with them. No crazy mystery around them or anything like that... just good personality, good writing and a character that you enjoy interacting with.

That being said maybe this will be unique to the Early Access companions. Larian has hinted that more are on the way and maybe they won't have mystery whirling around them non-stop.
I still think that BG3 starting us off in media res on the ship was a mistake narrative-wise. We should have started off on a road near Baldur’s Gate or something, have a chance to meet some of the companions before the ship and tadpole suddenly changes everyone’s outlook on the world.

A lot of the characterization so far is mostly them telling us stuff rather than showing us. It will naturally change as the game progresses, but early impressions are rather lacking in nuance.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L

I still think that BG3 starting us off in media res on the ship was a mistake narrative-wise. We should have started off on a road near Baldur’s Gate or something, have a chance to meet some of the companions before the ship and tadpole suddenly changes everyone’s outlook on the world.

A lot of the characterization so far is mostly them telling us stuff rather than showing us. It will naturally change as the game progresses, but early impressions are rather lacking in nuance.

It would not shock me if some sort of prologue is added upon the full release of the game.

I wasn't part of D:OS2 Early Access - but from what I recall you didn't start out on the ship in that game's Early Access, you started out on the beach. They added in the ship at full release.

I also agree the game would benefit from a prologue where you meet some of the companions before the ship, meet some of them on the ship when you are plucked up, etc.

old hand
old hand

It would not shock me if some sort of prologue is added upon the full release of the game.

I wasn't part of D:OS2 Early Access - but from what I recall you didn't start out on the ship in that game's Early Access, you started out on the beach. They added in the ship at full release.

I also agree the game would benefit from a prologue where you meet some of the companions before the ship, meet some of them on the ship when you are plucked up, etc.

It could already be possible, because Gale's reaction suggests that:

"You're alive. That's unexpected. The last time I saw you, you were lying in a crucible of blood, with an intellect devourer nibbling on your ear."

I mean that his response can also be understood to mean that he is talking about our capture here, and the response does not refer to our escape.

veteran
veteran

With the expensive CGI cinematics, I doubt they will get rid of it - but maybe? For example unless Karlach backstory changes if she is picked as Origins (assuming she is companion/origin character) then the cutscene doesn't really fit her, as the ship goes to hells after infecting PC... How and when she got tadpoled, with ship being under siege always felt weird to me to begin with.

I am not sure what prologue Larian could add that wouldn't be contrived - the capture is the meeting point for our heroes, before that they have different objectives, and from what I understand were captured in different places.
That said, I will be surprised if, at the very least, the ship itself won't receive a revision, once all companions and all mechanics are set in place.

veteran
veteran
I can imagine there being a prologue at release (I don't expext it, but I could imagine it) But I don't think it would make sense for the player to meet the other companions if so. There's nowhere for them all to meet before the opening scene, plus I don't think that's the best way to use a prologue anyway.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Niara
I have a different sense to what makes a game feel d&d - has races..check..has magic..check..has classes

Since it would seem that every game from Heretic to Heroes of Might and Magic feels like playing D&d to you, it's understandable why you wouldn't understand the complaint. Don't get me wrong - that's also valid, sure... but it's worth about as much credence as a deaf person saying that they like enjoying the music and don't understand why other people are complaining that the instruments need tuning.
Originally Posted by Niara

Actually no - I only really like D&D games above all else - tried dos2 - can’t stand the character types - poor substitutes for real d&d ones ..for me personally I think this game is the culmination of waiting 30+ years for a true d&d game - I can only tell by the hours of ea I’m playing & the other rpgs I’ve played that while some were good none really scratched that d&d feeling - although I’ve not played tabletop for 20 odd years I’ve always wanted to get that feel of it again - BG3 is doing that for me in spades. It’s not perfect but I think at full release this will be a very special game.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard