Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Soccer Offline OP
OP Offline
I know what you guys gonna say : "Indefinite hiatus isn't cancellation", but personally for me it's tomayto - tomahto. Half-life 3 was put on indefinite hiatus once and we all know how it's turned out. If anything, super-moderators of the Larian's forums deleted Divinity: Fallen Heroes section. So, if Larian's employees don't believe in future of this game, why should fans do? Considering that Larian studio will work on the base game of the Baldur's Gate III at least until 2022, then there will be some patches and DLC's for it, it at least four more years, as the BG3 will become a big money cow for the company for years to come.

F
addict
addict
F
D:OS2 was a big hit, the engine is also being constantly improved (because it is used in BG3 as well). I'd say that we'll see another game set in Rivellon at some point.

Not in 2022/2023, obviously, but I wouldn't be suprised if we play an EA of D:OS3 in 2024/25. hehe

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Literally never heard of fallen heroes (new to the forums). What is it? some sort of spinoff?

I agree with other poster, seems player interest in the main series is high and if they're still making improvements / changes while they have another game in development (BG3), I think its safe to say we will say a DOS3.

I actually learned about DOS2 by playing BG3, but now i like the divinity franchise more and wish they were working on DOS3. Sad.

Last edited by Shlamorel; 11/08/22 09:24 AM.
O
stranger
stranger
O
I am really not enjoying BG3 as much as i enjoyed DS2. I feel the lack of Larian humor really hurts the game. I really hope a DS3 will happen. Also please have co-op.

apprentice
apprentice
There's 60~ more years left for potential prequels to the last game in the timeline, but you would think making yet another one (especially one that reuses dos2 characters) instead of continuing the series from where the dragon knight saga left off, is not too appealing. Especially considering that BG3 now delays the assumed progress of the story (after FoV) further.

Last edited by Epimetus; 23/10/22 07:10 AM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
I think Fallen Heroes, or at least a similar game, would have to happen at some point, if only to bridge the gap in lore between DOS2 and FoV. Otherwise, going forward without explaining these plotholes would only confuse matters.
There is also a lot of prequal potential in the Divinity Timeline. I for one, have always thought it would be neat to base a game around the formation of the Order of the Source hunters, and eventual overthrowing of Braccus Rex.

apprentice
apprentice
If someone who's played DOS2 plays what comes after FoV without having played FoV, they will be "confused" regardless, and DOS1 was very well-received despite us not knowing what happened in the thousands of years between it and dragon commander. As for plotholes, I believe there is no major one if we assume ridding the world of source is the canon ending. Still, there is large prequel potential e.g. the events of 611 AD, so we'll see if larian decides that the ending of FoV is the end of the series, decides to postpone continuing the story or makes another prequel, which nobody would be complaining about.

stranger
stranger
> As for plotholes, I believe there is no major one if we assume ridding the world of source is the canon ending

Good one. How about:

a) Red Prince's origin and the whole debacle it raises about the identity of Dragons (whether they were created by Ouroboros as by Patriarch 's words, or regressed into lizards and whatever Zorl-Stissa had to do with the ordeal)

b) Souls and Spirit Vison, Mindread (Source Abilities) being canonically present in Dragon Knight Saga after the so-called 'purge'

c) which should be just b.2 - Dragon Knights and Dragons (who are Source-dependent beings) still existing and utilising powers after the 'purge'. Also the Sentinel Island? The place that manifested consciousness due to an abundance of Source?

The only one treasure worth digging for - knowledge
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by SourceRequired
> As for plotholes, I believe there is no major one if we assume ridding the world of source is the canon ending

Good one. How about:

a) Red Prince's origin and the whole debacle it raises about the identity of Dragons (whether they were created by Ouroboros as by Patriarch 's words, or regressed into lizards and whatever Zorl-Stissa had to do with the ordeal)

b) Souls and Spirit Vison, Mindread (Source Abilities) being canonically present in Dragon Knight Saga after the so-called 'purge'

c) which should be just b.2 - Dragon Knights and Dragons (who are Source-dependent beings) still existing and utilising powers after the 'purge'. Also the Sentinel Island? The place that manifested consciousness due to an abundance of Source?

a) No that's not a plothole at all the way you say it. I guess what you actually mean is how they devolved into lizards despite being created by ouroboros while the god of lizards is zorl-stissa, in reality While Zorl-Stissa and the lizards u...hey are not related to the true dragons. But either way a game between dos2 and FoV won't do a worse job of explaining it than a game taking place before DOS2.

b) Nothing I could find on the wiki pages suggests those are source skills. You can see spirits with source, OR you can have silver eyes and see them with those which is not the spirit vision ability.

c) The island's consciousness originated in source and existed since the earliest days of rivellon (didn't manifest in source after the purge), and it's not made clear exactly how it didn't cease to exist or turn into a silent monk after the purge, despite it's origin being in source. Okay, so something that's not really a plothole, about a character that appears twice in a shorter part of the game, that's not major. Also googling about dragon knights being "source-dependent" beings yields nothing. The patriarch not being a silent monk is consistent with slane being purged but not being a silent monk. Allegedly the patriarch's name still holds power despite that being dependent on source, that could be a plot hole but we never see that take place so it could just be a wrong claim by one character and not a claim made by game devs. And because of his "divine power", it's also possible he wasn't affected by dallis or the godwoken attempting to purge the world of source, so you're not demonstrating it's a contradiction. But once again the limits of his power could then be explained by another game before DOS2 and not necessarily a game between the two games which is what I was obviously talking about in my original comment.

If you are confused by this, look up the definition of a plot hole.

Last edited by Epimetus; 16/11/22 11:44 AM.
stranger
stranger
Aight, I'll take the bait. To preface, I have access to D:OS2 text files, and the wiki can be edited by anyone and their grandma if they feel like it.

> While Zorl-Stissa and the lizards u...hey are not related to the true dragons.

The trivia under the article is never stated outright in any game or appendix

Now, as far as TRP's origin is concerned. If Dragons are the creation of Ouroboros, how come the following can be true:
<content contentuid="h9d12c689g0394g49dbg9271g652f153b2348">I was told that lizards used to be Great Red Dragons once and that they can be again! It is an incredible story, but should I unite with the Red Princess, we will sire dragons. The Red Princess is close by: only a short journey to the north away.</content>
<content contentuid="h040dcbc3gb0d0g4c94g80f9g594e7d468ff1">But the House of Dreams trades in prophecy. They've always known we could be dragons again, for <i>'one day a man and a woman will be born, and their skin will be red, and the fruit of their union will be Great Red Dragons'.</i></content>
<content contentuid="h0375362eg79e9g477fg88e0ge12aaf689a20">*Indeed. You met with her, lay with her. Say she'll soon be the mother of dragons.*</content>

If:
Fane recognizes lizards as Zorl-Stissa's:
content contentuid="h8dc75379gade9g4876g963ag7375a43159fb">Lady Zorl-Stissa, I must commend you on your reptiles. Every one is as arrogant as you.</content>

And Aetera recognized Zorl-Stissa as an Eternal Lord:
<content contentuid="h8b306751gdf6bg4e6bgbc54g43e79ad8b6c2">Zorl-Stissa! What- what <i>happened </i>to you? Did you truly fall so far?</content>

Lizards cannot be Seven's Source Vats designed from scratch by their God to act as cattle AND descend from said 'Red Dragons' simultaneously. There is not a line in the game that detaches lizards form Ouroboros' creations. The trivia in the wiki is the common sense that the game lacks to acknowledge. There never were any other dragons BUT Ouroboros' kin. The 'plot hole' you insist I confuse is the lack of addressing what we know from the old lore and what has been brought in the new iteration. The relation between Ancient Dragons and Eternals is also nonexistent, and the wiki only assumes a possible one.

> Nothing I could find on the wiki pages suggests those are source skills. You can see spirits with source, OR you can have silver eyes and see them with those which is not the spirit vision ability.

<content contentuid="h7341fdd9g0da7g4740g9ab1g75826d2cb4ec">That's who the other Godwoken will meet in their own souls, by the by. Shrivelled, half-dead gods looking to steal Source from their chosen in exchange for the power to see spirits.</content>
<content contentuid="h46943f28ga9afg40d4g965cg3a0eb9c1f9c0">Your vision has been restored, giving you the power to see spirits - the souls of dead mortals made manifest in Source.</content>

<content contentuid="h0ec86825g4a9fg4870gbdafgf8c40cbcb83b">Source connects you to your companions even when you're apart, allowing you to <font color="008858">listen</font> to their important moments. Since you are not nearby for this conversation, your companion will participate in it alone.</content>

Spirits are interchangeably Source according to the new lore/retcon:

<content contentuid="hf8eb276ag7e86g41fag86c8gebdf1de0a684">Source <i>is</i>. It is a constant, a subject of neither time nor transience. All of life is Source, and in Source it <i>is</i>. Immortally so.</content>

>Also googling about dragon knights being "source-dependent"

Well, yeah. Trust me, googling 'how to cure cancer' will yield astonishing results if you don't know what to look for. Let's make a reading comprehension test. The subject is 'the storytelling of Slane's state during the Radeka quest'. I'll allow myself to cut the file artefacts out for clarity.

*The freed dragon looks sick and pale. As you approach, he stretches his tattered wings weakly and fixes his intense gaze upon you. Frozen tears glint in his eyes.*
*Slane rears back in eagerness, grasping the Purging Wand with razor-sharp claws. Before your eyes, the Source from within the wand surges into his draconic form, filling him with a light so bright that you must shield your eyes from the glare.*
*The blazing brightness dies down. Squinting, you now see no dragon before you - but the figure of a handsome lizard, a handsome lizard with the same eyes as Slane.*

As dos2 puts it, purged, or Sourceless dragon knights CANNOT use their shape-shifting skill.

Radeka told us that Slane was once her lover, but she punished him for lying by purging him, transforming him into a dragon.

As for the rest, I believe you're the one confused. As the game (wrongfully) puts it - all of Source is gone. All. Of. It.

When we are done, there shall be no more Source in the world. No more gods. No more worship. No more war. No more chaos. No more demons. No more Voidwoken. Rivellon will have peace at last.

But let's put it aside and talk about purging exclusively since you mix and match a lot of themes here.
About Purging Wands: More than mere weapons. Traps, purging wands, war wagons - every tool Braccus needed to bend the world to his will.
Madam
Your techniques have proven most effective. A true marvel! Odd that the Source King had this technology so long ago, but managed to keep it quite secret.As to the technical matters: The monks do listen, but they are so listless and dull. They respond, but they do not engage.Would it not be possible, perhaps better, if they obeyed of their own accord? My mind races with the possibilities: Obedience through free will – a will shaped by the Order itself.Then we might at last have the army the Divine dreamed of, may his spirit rest in peace
Yours forever in service, Orivand

Monks are created ONLY through Braccusian Purging - since it was designed to create slaves.

Fane got purged as well, resulting in similar degradation to Slane, but no mindlessness.
Alexandar's purge through Aetheran (Act 3 cutscene) resulted in his death and, if I remember correctly, the disappearance of his spirit as well.

Now, bearing all of the above in mind.

>The island's consciousness originated in source and existed since the earliest days of rivellon (didn't manifest in source after the purge)

Well, uh duh. But we know how Aetheran works - it sucks out literally everything. Assume Source is water. Now let's remove all water from our world. Do polar glacials still stand in their place? That's how the purge is presented by the end of act 4 and the epilogue and this is the reason why it's wrong. Sentinel Island still has consciousness, there is still SOURCE about. While it technically shouldn't. Doesn't this count as a plot hole?

Looking forward to your google-fueled answer,
sincerely,
Faneposter

Well, to me Fallen Heroes or a sequel of Dragon Knights is getting less and less appealing to me as I really hate the ending of DOS2.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but not the ending, because Lucian live and that is the canon since he is in Dragon Knight too.

To me he is also the main plot hole. How can he live so long if there is no source anymore?

stranger
stranger
Dos2 ending is the plot hole. The 'no Source' thing cannot exist because of what is established in Dragon Knight Saga as I stated above. The writers were misinformed/confused and created an even bigger mess. If you look into the promotional video for Fallen Heroes you will STILL see Source skills available in the UI snippets.

Soccer Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by jsiu.dev
Well, to me Fallen Heroes or a sequel of Dragon Knights is getting less and less appealing to me as I really hate the ending of DOS2.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but not the ending, because Lucian live and that is the canon since he is in Dragon Knight too.

To me he is also the main plot hole. How can he live so long if there is no source anymore?
Me too, bro, but for other reasons. He, actually, could have become nearly immortal, by becoming a real wizard, like Zandallor.
Whole D:OS2 showing Lucian "The Divine" in whole different light. Fiasco with sparing Damian twice could have been explained by Lawful good nature of Lucian, but then in this game he lies and steals, tortures and genocides, all in the name of, so called, "Greater good". WTF? Honestly, if Divinity 3 will ever came out, I'm will be rooting for Damian.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard