Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 43 of 46 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 46
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
And just out of curiosity ...
How would you define general atractivity ... since that is strongly subjective matter?
That's an easy one. If the majority considers someone attractive then they are, indeed, generally attractive.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
You just moved the same problem one step aside, rather than solve it. laugh
What majority? :P

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 24/11/22 11:33 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
In AD&D 1e, "10% of Half-Orcs can pass themselves off as the other half." I don't know if later editions revisited this "racial" trait. Still, these half breeds are taking a hit to Charisma; even if they do look human, it's an unattractive Human (most of the time).

I'm just going to quickly point this out : one can have Charisma without being considered physically attractive.
Physical attractiveness can play a role but so do things like commanding skills, diplomatic skills, persuasion and deception abilities and so on.

That and, yes, as mentioned by others, beauty is subjective. There are plenty of players who have the hots for non-human characters like orcs and giths, or even humans that don't fit some beauty standards (also, there a plenty of different beauty standards, depending on time period and location, different cultures exists).

Here is an interesting reddit thread on "Charisma ≠ Beauty", including quotes from ealy version of D&D.

Last edited by MelivySilverRoot; 24/11/22 12:38 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
Attributes in D&D have always been rather messy if you look too closely at them IMO. Sometimes willpower is Wisdom, sometimes it's Charisma. Intelligence is a measure of memory, quickness of mind. Except when the latter is tied to Wisdom or Charisma. Etc. Could stand for a reorganization I think, but are too iconic to be touched at this point probably.

Last edited by Leucrotta; 24/11/22 01:11 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Any. Ask 3 people here in this thread if they consider someone attractive. If 2 wll say they are....then they are.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Vitani
Any. Ask 3 people here in this thread if they consider someone attractive. If 2 wll say they are....then they are.
Purposefully limiting your data set to a selected amount of people in order to fit a conclusion is a known nefarious use of statistic known as data dredging.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_dredging

3 people is way too small to deduce what can be considered generally attractive.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by snowram
Purposefully limiting your data set to a selected amount of people in order to fit a conclusion is a known nefarious use of statistic known as data dredging.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_dredging

3 people is way too small to deduce what can be considered generally attractive.

We are talking hypotheticals here. The subject was "general attractivness", 3 people are enough to give you a sample, albeit small. Would laugh out a medical thesis with that sample, but it's enough for something this trivial.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Ask 3 people here in this thread if they consider someone attractive. If 2 wll say they are....then they are.
But thazs exactly the problem. smile

Ask 3 people ... and they are.
Ask another 3 ... and they are no longer.
Ask another 3 ... and they are again!

I just recently seen really nice picture about standards of beauty around the globe ... can edit it later if ypu are interested ... bcs i would have to google it.

I for example never really understood how can people find Shadowheart atractive ... i presume its bcs she is the only human faced woman in party ... so "in land of blind, one-eyed is the king" kind of situation.
Personaly i dont like her visage much ... even rho with some modifications i have seen on chubblot videos shes not that bad anymore.

Or Karlach ... i LOVE her curent visage ... and yet some people wish to revert it back to that kinda boring version we have seen earlier.

Beauty is subjective ... thats not even for debate, its just a fact.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
In AD&D 1e, "10% of Half-Orcs can pass themselves off as the other half." I don't know if later editions revisited this "racial" trait. Still, these half breeds are taking a hit to Charisma; even if they do look human, it's an unattractive Human (most of the time).

I'm just going to quickly point this out : one can have Charisma without being considered physically attractive.
Physical attractiveness can play a role but so do things like commanding skills, diplomatic skills, persuasion and deception abilities and so on.

That and, yes, as mentioned by others, beauty is subjective. There are plenty of players who have the hots for non-human characters like orcs and giths, or even humans that don't fit some beauty standards (also, there a plenty of different beauty standards, depending on time period and location, different cultures exists).

Here is an interesting reddit thread on "Charisma ≠ Beauty", including quotes from ealy version of D&D.

Charisma is strongly linked to beauty; you can't ignore the connection. This is why I support a Comeliness Attribute.

Beauty is subjective ... thats not even for debate, its just a fact.

Certain types of subjectivity are truer than others, however; if they weren't, beauty contests and "sex sells" advertising flat-out would not work...and we know that isn't the case.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Closed for review.

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
On review, we have decided to leave this topic closed.

We would like to remind forum members that, while everyone is welcome to contribute and give their opinion, good netiquette is still expected; e.g. please do not bump topics that have obviously run their course (especially surreptitious means such as deleting and reposting) as it will ultimately lead to account restrictions. Thank you.

Edit: upon further review, we have decided to reopen this topic. Larian Forums welcomes careful drivers, etc.

Last edited by vometia; 27/12/22 12:50 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
A point was made about facial capture software and how it was/is becoming an industry standard (what with the emphasis on "realism" and all). The individual then went on to imply that more accurate demihuman/inhuman faces are practically impossible due to the fact that we are only working with human beings in the real world. I have to ask...if a development tool is preventing that element of immersion, why not either improve the tool or pick another method altogether? Do we rule out artistic fidelity/consistency because it is too difficult?

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
How do you feel about Jaheira?

I heared that she is supposed to be half-elf ...
But still, her face seems prety elfy to me ... compared to faces created for our PC at least.
[Linked Image from cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net]

enthusiast
enthusiast
We are talking hypotheticals here. The subject was "general attractivness", 3 people are enough to give you a sample, albeit small. Would laugh out a medical thesis with that sample, but it's enough for something this trivial.
Why not just make it one person? More often than not you'll get the majority view. Mathematics doesn't care if the matter is trivial or complex - statistics are either reliable, or not reliable.

Last edited by Elessaria666; 14/01/23 08:33 PM.
S
old hand
old hand
S

But still, her face seems prety elfy to me ... compared to faces created for our PC at least.
Children can take more after one parent than the other, yes? I don't know much about D&D, but it's seemingly that way with half elf/half dwarf cases. Players need to roll for what kind of hybrid is created.

This is possibly not universal, but I'm quite fine with it. More importantly, she looks close to the Bg2 concept. Though, I believe the button nose wasn't a good choice and the lower lip looks too full. That's just nitpicking.

My only real criticism is that the forehead's shortness creates an odd looking face. I would lower the height the eyes sit on, slim the bottom lip and narrow the nostrils. As a result, the nose will need complete resizing. It could really do with being a bit bigger and broader. A straight nose, rather than a button

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Silver/

... More importantly, she looks close to the Bg2 concept.

Yes, I'm happy that she's a decent interpretation of her BG2 portrait. She does look to me like she's wearing shimmery pink lipstick which is odd. I hope that's just the lighting in the shot and her lips are really a natural colour. And her brows look a bit too pencilled in. But otherwise there's nothing I'd be fussed about changing.

I think she looks too human for a full-blooded elf, but she's fine as the half-elf she is. And definitely an improvement on the half-elf females available for custom characters, which for me is the worst selection in the game. EDIT That might not be true - female halflings could be worse!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
L
addict
addict
L
She does have less pronounced even features than her BG I+II portraits. Though as a half-elf it isn't really a problem, though it does show that Larian's art direction is divergent from BG II in terms of fidelity to legacy characters. Really, what bothers me is that they really whitened her skin, particularly if they are going off of her BG II portrait (which seems to be what they are using for BG II) Jaheria was really not white in BG I-II so it's rather...jarring to say the least.

She and her husband were from Thethyr/Calimshan IIRC, which is sorta the equivalent of Iberia & Morocco in Toril.

addict
addict

She's not designed by Larian in the first place. They clearly took her portrait from BG2 and used it as a guideline.
[Linked Image from static.wikia.nocookie.net]

Last edited by Zellin; 17/01/23 02:56 AM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Your link is blank for me ...
But no matter, i dont really see your point. O_o

Question was how do you feel about her face ...
Not if she was designed by Larian ...
So how is that even relevant? O_o

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
She does have less pronounced even features than her BG I+II portraits. Though as a half-elf it isn't really a problem, though it does show that Larian's art direction is divergent from BG II in terms of fidelity to legacy characters. Really, what bothers me is that they really whitened her skin, particularly if they are going off of her BG II portrait (which seems to be what they are using for BG II) Jaheria was really not white in BG I-II so it's rather...jarring to say the least.

She and her husband were from Thethyr/Calimshan IIRC, which is sorta the equivalent of Iberia & Morocco in Toril.
Hmm. Yeah. She looks very, very pink for someone with an olive tone.

Page 43 of 46 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 46

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard