Originally Posted by SgtSilock
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
Originally Posted by SgtSilock
Doesn’t the fact you can simply pay to get your oath back make the whole ‘you’ve broken your oath’ feel a bit ‘who cares’ anyway?

Not for me personally. It still makes a big roleplay difference, and that’s the main reason I make character choices.

True, but when you want to role play to regain your oath, instead of it being in an epic redeeming way, it’s ‘here’s some coin, now gimmie it back’. If that’s the kind of role play people are into though more power to em.

I agree it could be better, but I also don’t necessarily expect Larian to build huge amounts of content specifically for one class, and if I had to choose I’d rather they prioritised better oathbreaking/keeping in the first place than a better redemption mechanism. I am okay to use my imagination on that, and suppose that really, in addition to the handing over the cash there was a long vigil on my knees with deep soul searching.

Though given I didn’t actually have 2000 GP when it happened to me, I did have to do a bit of questing before I could redeem myself. I do think it would make sense to have a higher cost each time - double it say. That would functionally restrict the amount of times it could be done … other than for paladins willing to do long penance creating Elixirs of Silvanus (if that still works as a money-making exploit).

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"