Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh, and going back to the original post:

Originally Posted by Brainer
The idea I'd like to touch upon here is that the NPCs should address/interact with the player character based on their appearance - and, therefore, their perceivable sex - rather than their identity

We have Dror Ragzlin, a hobgoblin, who hardly hails from a standardly "civilized" society and is openly hostile towards the character, and yet he will also address them based not on what they look like but on their identity instead.

Otherwise why are some forms of oppression portrayed in the game - race-based, enforced - displayed openly and addressed, but misgendering somebody because they don't resemble the commonly percieved appearance of a gender they identify as is a sin that even roughhide mercenaries, slavers and brutish hobgoblin warlords won't commit?

I don't know how it happened, but we are now arguing about the exact opposite of what OP proposed, that being MORE misgendering and characters characterising you based on s*x, not gender. Now we are talking about removing all gendered language referring to the player character.

Why would, for example, Shadowheart, in a moment, say "they" instead of "he" or "she" referring to the PC without ever being prompted to do so, but never once address anyone else as "they"?

And all of a sudden it is not just a couple lines talking about the PC anymore, but all conversation, or immersion is broken because there is no consistency in the world.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by neprostoman
So, are there people that have a reason to be against the inclusion policies? What do you think? Because from your message I get the vibe that you are clearly putting "people for whom the mere inclusion of transgender content is upsetting" to the foreground. I've read news about people whose life's were ruined because they didn't want to address seemingly men/women by certain pronounces. I think those people have the right to feel prejudice and concern and we should do our best to include them, and calm them, as well. Or else this is hypocrisy, imo.

I do have views on this, but that’s straying into real world issues rather than talking about the game. So apologies for not engaging with this question. It’s not that I don’t think it’s valid or important, just that this forum isn’t the place. I will just say that it is not hypocrisy to view trans inclusion in the game as being more important than the upset felt by people who don’t want to see such representation. It’s a substantive moral position with which people can and do disagree, but would only be hypocritical, or at least inconsistent, if the reason I was advocating for such representation was that I believed everyone should feel equally validated and unchallenged by the game, and that’s not where I’m coming from.

Originally Posted by Sozz
I get that, I'm not saying the option shouldn't be available to you, just that without it being meaningfully integrated into the world, what are you really being given? A lot of people create elaborate head canons about their characters, and this seems like little more than that.

I agree it’s not much, but it’s a lot more than nothing if only because it’s generating this debate. And personally, I find it important and rewarding when the game gives me concrete hooks on which to hang my head canon, however minor. Is it enough? Not in my opinion, though obviously some people already think it’s too much.

One last thing before I shut myself up on this topic, as I’ve seen at least one post making the unfortunately too common suggestion that excluding trans representation would be excluding “politics”. Even if the latter were desirable - and I think it would make for a very dull game - it’s not possible, and thinking that a game or other product that doesn’t challenge your politics somehow isn’t political seems to me to be like someone thinking that only they and people who talk like them don’t speak with an accent. Given that trans folk exist, choosing in 2023 to show the setting as one in which they don’t or where they are hidden or without stories worth telling is just as politically loaded as including them, and there are plenty of people who will find their lack just as jarring as others find their presence.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
I hope you are not referring to me because I never said that THIS is hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is to include non-binary ideas by restricting the perceptional freedom of others. Even more so physical freedom. Inclusion at the cost of exclusion - that is what I was talking about. But you are right that there is nothing in the game right now to fit into that category. I have no problem with them adding an optional choice. But again, I was just saying that we need to consider that there might be people who are justly alarmed by this direction in development, because there are IRL and media examples where things got pretty absurd.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by neprostoman
I hope you are not referring to me because I never said that THIS is hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is to include non-binary ideas by restricting the perceptional freedom of others. Even more so physical freedom. Inclusion at the cost of exclusion - that is what I was talking about. But you are right that there is nothing in the game right now to fit into that category. I have no problem with them adding an optional choice. But again, I was just saying that we need to consider that there might be people who are justly alarmed by this direction in development, because there are IRL and media examples where things got pretty absurd.

Okay, I know that I said I’d shut up but I clearly didn’t explain myself well so I will try one more time. I was indeed responding to you and I think we do disagree (though respectfully I hope!) as what I was trying to say is that “inclusion at the cost of exclusion” is not necessarily hypocrisy. It might be if one thought that inclusion was a good in and of itself and should be extended equally to all viewpoints, values, identities and so on, but I don’t and personally am happy to prioritise inclusion of trans representation over the alarm of those who are disturbed by it and don’t see any inconsistency there. Of course, I wish that people weren’t upset and disturbed by such representation and would prefer everyone to be happy, but unfortunately that’s not going to be the case and I’m not in favour of compromising on trans representation to calm the distress of those who don’t want to see it, however good or poor their reason (that is, I don’t think there is any reason for not wanting to see trans representation in game that I would accept as good enough to justify excluding it).

Larian as the content creators of course need to decide how they’re going to balance the views of people like myself with those who disagree, but I’m just a member of the gaming public so am in the fortunate position of not having to accomplish this admittedly tricky and sensitive task. I’m just expressing my view so that Larian can take it into consideration along with everyone else’s.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
I get your point, thank you for clarification smile

Brainer Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I suppose I might as well chime back in and mention that, since the concept of identity is regarded as "fluid" (further frustrating those who are already up in arms against it), then if the game were to provide options (via a classic Magic Mirror, for example), to alter it, then it all becomes even less coherent since the world restructures itself around the PC yet again and you can potentially have a male-coded romance scene first and then a female-coded one (I still have no clue what it takes into account for a non-binary character. Sex? Defaulting to a female one because it's first on the list?).

As for the Dragonborn, their appearance is still rather sexually dimorphic, with the males being wider and bulkier in frame with masculine proportions in shoulders and hips, and females being more slender and subdued. Plus the voices, which would realistically be, on average, lower than for most other humanoids, but still affected by different vocal cord development. While the voice options we are given are not gender-locked, it was already a gimmick back in the original BG games' days. I never really thought much of it apart from being there mostly for humorous purposes.

Earlier someone also mentioned Mizhena from Siege of Dragonspear. Honestly? My by then even less world-conscious arse simply read that character as the stereotypical "woman who was brought up as a boy" trope, which isn't unheard of and is something that would make perfect sense in the setting, and was confused as to why people were, well, confused and angry. With how that interaction was written, it was just vague enough to not be something out of Dragon Age: Inquisition where there's little guessing as to what the writers are saying there. I guess it remains a headcanon of mine to this day.

As for the question of why can the concept of gender identity and its inclusion bother some (potentially offensive?):

The idea of ephemeral identity being used to override safeguards and to force genuinely non-conforming people into what's essentially just different, carefully designed, and just-as-trapping boxes instead of accepting that unique personalities need not all be ascribed to gender while reducing the entire spectrum of psychological states to a few marketable, sellable labels which reduces exploration of "self" to instantly affirming any kind of non-conformity as a sign of being disconnected from the natal sex rather than just finding things which one enjoys and which one doesn't is hardly progress to a better future. It's as regressive and insidious as it gets, and results in cultural erasure just seemingly out of the desire to remove any conservative and traditional ideas which are considered wrong by default without any nuance.

And if we are to be technical, then every person is conceptually "non-binary", as nobody displays 100% masculine or feminine traits, and some traits might as well not be classified as such at all. It's yet another noose, not a ticket out, and seeing it being shoehorned into fictional settings mostly on account of them being originally written in English and as such supporting the pronoun game is saddening, honestly - UNLESS it's done in a way that actually makes sense from the world-building perspective (e.g., Pyre, as I've mentioned in the first post). Common is English only in the English version of FR. Switch to a language that does not support it quite as easily, and linguistically justifying it suddenly becomes more complicated. Anyway, that's probably enough out of me, I'd rather not have the topic locked now that it's gained traction.

Also (NSFW):

Apparently, the nude models are going to become more anatomically accurate, according to some mined visuals (and modders who have already implemented them). Cannot believe I am asking this, but if the, erm, assets are to be defined by the identity to match the animations in scenes... while I am hardly an expert, but to my knowledge, most futanari characters are regarded as female? I am gonna retreat back into the shadows now. And ponder the potential extent of degeneracy on display. Goodness.

Last edited by Brainer; 19/12/22 12:44 PM.
Brainer Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So, continuing with my research into the matter, as misguided as it may seem to some (many?), I've messed around a bit more to check certain things:

- Non-Boolean:

Firstly, I've given a non-binary character a roll to see as to how it'll work in terms of addresses and which Minthara scene would be picked, and while I haven't confirmed the mentions of "misgendering" that appear here and there (Steam forums, for instance) when it refers to the character's perceivable sex/gender, the Minthara scene definitely defaults to whichever one corresponds with the character's sex, as opposed to when you pick an opposite gender identity and it picks one based on that instead.

Somewhat iffy and, again, inconsistent - and with the plans to expand it into other languages mentioned in the patch notes it just seems ever more so like wasted effort since it's implemented very sloppily and because it'd feel even more awkward outside of English - the concept of established neo-identities outisde of separate, unlinked cases or certain castes/classes in some cultures (which still recognized the gender/sex binary and didn't uplift the concept of identity to the peak it's at these days) is a modern one, no matter what people might say, otherwise there wouldn't have been a need to invent a very artificial and sentence-jumbling neo-pronoun in, for example, Russian - where the concept seems to have been brought as a novelty from the West, which certainly is a cultural/historical quirk it has... Anyhow, many languages with gendered verbs and adjectives have a really hard time adapting to the English-born cultural and social tendencies, and even native English speakers which find it awkward to use they or neo-pronouns seem to have a hard time with keeping it up. Plus, calling it "non-binary/other" implies that every other possible identity just also gets "they". I thought we were supposed to be all-encompassing here and stuff...

Going back to the points in the first paragraph, it does just all seem to be much too modern and requiring an established way to quickly spread information (the Internet) to believably be something other than so extraordinarily rare in a fantasy setting that a character like that might as well be a statistical improbability - especially outside of English language and the ability to just stuff "they" anywhere as prompted - no matter what the WotC say on the matter (with how loose they've been getting with the lore and the setting, I don't think there's that much credit to give them). Even if we are to come up with such a character - the male/female identity juggling can be applied here also - what exactly is there to identify out of? Ever since AD&D males and females were specifically described as "equally capable", and while there are specific gender roles here and there (serving wenches) and some cultures heavily influence what males/females can and can't do, what's the reason to specifically identify as something else rather than be someone who identifies with their sex but purposefully or otherwise contradicts their society? What would even drive one to take on a "standardized" non-binary identity in the first place when it's not a readily available, what is the reason? Even on Reddit people say that a non-binary/female-identifying male drow is quite likely to be dead more than anything, and even though the Eilistraee cult has examples of letting males partake in priesthood, it's not about shedding their male identity but rather taking on traditionaly female roles while still remaining themselves. It's also rather... irritating, I suppose? - to see characters rewritten to fit with the "correct" cultural values, like how the Sentinel from Elventree, who was a masked man with unknown appearance previously, was repurposed as a non-binary character with a feminine voice in the Tyrants of the Moonsea module for NWN. Who asked for that change, exactly, and why would you do that?...

...I could go on, but instead I just suddenly remembered how in Wildermyth you can pick your pronoun independetly of gender but when you select who your character is attracted to it's "men/women/anyone". Talk about double standards in plain sight, and it all circles back - once again - to the first paragraph here...

- Disguise Self and more on perception:

I also checked out what exactly happens if you cast Disguise Self and - lo and behold - now you are treated based on how you look rather than the identity. Taking on the appearance of a female/male specimen of some race makes people refer to the character as a female/male by pronoun and gendered terms, and the non-binary is just dropped completely. Even if said character looked exactly the same pre-disguise but had different identity that was somehow inherently understood and accepted. Again, adding to the whole immersiveness and coherent experience issue that identity introduces. If the purpose is to play a female/male character to correspond with the player's real life identity, why not simply... create a female/male character and roll with it? It provides the necessary appearance and the pronouns come pre-equipped, as it were. I suppose I just don't get it.

Honestly, I would just - repeating myself here, but still - prefer it a lot more if there were more gender-specific dialogue options/situations in the game. While it may hurt the experience for some, would one argue that there being unique opportunities for female/male Wardens in Dragon Age: Origins or how Caesar's Legion treated women in Fallout: New Vegas really added to the world building and the depth of the setting? While women and men in FR are, again, equally capable, one does not need to go far to find examples of the gender and perception mattering (female drow, once again). Heck, part of why I adore Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny and - to an extent, given how it's historical fiction, but one that oozes with care for the subject matter - Pentiment from Obsidian is the fact that they don't hesistate to present cultures and societies with different perception on the two sexes while still letting women and men deny their roles OR make good use of them without trying to awkwardly mix gender identity into the picture. Tyranny does play around with the vagueness of Kyros' gender, but it has different characters ascribe masculinity or femininity to Kyros based on what they think is the superior sex, or knowledge they have - while Voices of Nerath, whom people would likely describe as "non-binary" these days, is just set as male despite being a walking consciousness black hole.

It's specificaly the sex, the bodily mechanics exclusive to women and to men (or lack thereof) that are in play when it comes to some of the gender roles and functions delegated to women and men, and when a character from a setting without the more modern societal concepts (unless they are shoehorned in...) sees a clearly male or female figure (or at least describable as vaguely feminine/masculine), it'd probably be gendered based on appearance. It's what Disguise Self causes - and the fact that identity overrides that when you create a character is yet another weird incosistency. You have a quest about a mother who mourns the loss of her husband and makes a deal with a hag that involves her unborn child. Having the modern concept of gender identity next to that, or to not shying away of writing badass and masculine female characters (Karlach, Lae'zel to an extent) just does not feel genuine. Anyway, this has probably been long enough and only somewhat coherent.

Honestly, in this day and age, seeing a more or less well-known developer actually go against the new norm for once will be a refreshing sight. When something is added to just adhere to the "accepted" values and is added rather sloppily, should it even be there? If it simply has to, I think there should be an "appearance-based pronouns" checkbox or something. Wouldn't that actually encompass more, if it were added? I am ranting at this point, I suppose, and I may have crossed the line on an occassion or two as it is, so I am gonna stop here - just wanted to share what I've found out out of mostly morbid curiosity. Happy New Year to everyone.

Last edited by Brainer; 02/01/23 03:45 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Let me tell you a story, in the early days of D&D, we found a chain mail, it was good probably magical, but in any case, one of the male fighters tried it and it looked like a armour... so then i tried it, as a female elf, and it dident look at all like what the male fighter had, it was now a chainmail bikini...

We can smile at this, and we should, couse we are playing a fantasy game, where the heroes is chaddier and the heroins are whensier... and its not said in a mean politcal way, its just part of the nerdy fantasy setting, where boob armour is a thing... its a game where evil in spells as a desciptor is evil no matter what you do, and it has nothing about what right or wrong, its just part of the fantasy fact, it just is...

Im not going to tell you how you play your game or how you have fun... but please, leave fantasy to be fantasy, allow a chad to be a chad, or boob armour to exist... its escapism and just for funs and giggles

PS to play devils advocate, if you want to be a IT, and you put on a cursed item that switch your gender... what do you turn out as ?, or would you be immune as you are technicaly gender neutral ?

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Aurora42
We can smile at this, and we should, couse we are playing a fantasy game, where the heroes is chaddier and the heroins are whensier... and its not said in a mean politcal way, its just part of the nerdy fantasy setting

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Some folk in this thread seem to have the view that BG3 shouldn't address gender identity at all. I know responding to that view may not be exactly on topic, but I think it's important to discuss and if you'll bear with me I'll try to get back to the topic of the thread by the end. Though I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for skipping this extremely long post smile. Particularly as I'd said twice before I was going to shut up on this topic - oath broken!

In case you're still with me, though, here goes ...

One argument that has been made is that we shouldn't have trans characters explicitly in the game as debates about gender identity are a modern phenomenon and/or specific to certain locations. I don't think that's true, but even if it were it wouldn't be relevant. The Forgotten Realms is not a historical setting, and for all locations on the world of Toril are often inspired by real past societies it has no obligation to reflect them in any specific ways. The setting is a collaboratively created multiverse which has already changed significantly, and is continuing to be shaped and experienced in 2023 by people who quite naturally will want to explore themes and ideas of interest to them now within that setting.

Others have said they just want escapist fun. I personally don't see any reason why trans characters and escapist fun should be in any tension whatsoever, whereas some things others find escapist fun I find, for example, problematically sexist and therefore jarringly political. So, given that there will be a host of different ideas of what constitutes escapist fun, I consider it fortunate that BG3 isn't (just) trying to be that. While we all want some uncomplicated excitement and adventure in our fantasy, to my mind it would be shallow and uninteresting if it didn't also have deeper themes or encourage us to think about our own world differently by showing us aspects of it distorted through the prism of an alternative reality.

So I'm glad that the Forgotten Realms in general, and the Baldur's Gate series in particular, do aspire to be that more complex sort of fantasy, mixing fun with serious themes. They let us explore, as has been mentioned already in this thread, structural sexism in drow society and racism in how tieflings and representatives of races considered monstrous are treated. We can find stories of slavery, oppression, corruption, terrorism, misuse of power, murder, religion and nature versus artifice. And there's also your old good vs evil or chaos vs order and what those actually mean in practice. I can't see any obvious reason why, unlike these, themes of gender identity should automatically be considered off limits.

So, for me, the question then becomes what purpose exploring such themes in the setting would have. And there seem to be lots of possible things that a role-playing game like BG3 might want to do by including trans characters. For example:
  • Enable non-trans people to put themselves imaginatively in the position of a character who doesn't feel comfortable with the gender they have been assigned, or the body in which they were born.
  • Let trans people roleplay someone of the same gender identity as themselves and so fully express themselves through their character.
  • Imagine for both trans and non-trans players what a world in which trans people are free to be themselves without fear or stigma might look like.
  • Give trans players a safe space in which to be themselves (or someone else but with their gender identity!) without facing the stigma or abuse that many encounter in the real world.
  • Help those of us who aren't usually forced to confront it consider how deeply gender, or a gender binary, is ingrained in our language and our thinking.
  • Encourage players to recognise and question their preconceptions and prejudices around gender identity.
  • Demonstrate to trans players and to everyone else that the creators of the game recognise that there are trans people and that they deserve representation.
  • Imagine what life for a trans character might be like on Toril or the Realms more generally, and how it might resemble or differ from life in our own. For example, as people have mentioned, Toril has (rare?) magic that seems able to fundamentally change the sex of one's body, as well as spells like Disguise Self that let characters convincingly change their appearance to resemble that of different genders of various races. Would all trans characters actually want to use such items or spells? And if they wanted them, would they have access to them or would it be rare and restricted? And if the latter, how might that affect the choices that trans characters make? Might a wizard or warlock trans character have taken up magic or signed a pact to access such magic? Might a trans rogue have taken up crime to steal a magic item they thought might help them, or enough money to buy it or pay a wizard for a spell? How would a non-binary character feel about the fact that even that magic reflects a binary understanding of gender? How would the experience of a person previously comfortable with their gender identity but who was (unwillingly) subject to a curse like that on the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity differ from that of someone who was born trans, and how would their perspective be changed as a result of the curse?

In my view, any or all of the above are things a role playing game set in the Forgotten Realms could interestingly do.

Does BG3 in its EA form do all of these things? No. It does only a few of them, and then only very superficially.

Is it obliged to do all of them by full release? No, while I think all these would be valid for the game to take on if it wanted, it's also dealing with lots of other stuff and it would be unreasonable to ask all this of it too, quite apart from the fact that some of them are in tension with others.

Would it be okay to do none of them? I think the answer to that is also "no". In the context in which the game is being created, Larian cannot plead ignorance of questions around acceptance and representation of trans people, so ducking the issue entirely would seem either cowardly or pointedly dismissive. To lots of people, and especially I'd imagine to trans people, it would be a glaringly obvious omission in a game which lets us play as an elf, a halfling, a tiefling or a githyanki, to then have no variations on gender beyond allowing us to specify whether our character is male or female. Particularly, as I have argued above, given that there are interesting and valid purposes for including themes of gender identity in the game.

So, as per the question initially posed, is it worth having acknowledgement of gender identity in the game at all, if it's only what we have now in EA? I'd say yes, given I think having nothing at all would be unacceptable. It at least gives players wanting to play a trans/non-binary character (whether they're trans or not themselves) some in-game acknowledgement of who their character is, which always somehow feels more satisfying than having to entirely head canon something. And simply playing the game with those characters can help prompt some thinking about what being trans in the Realms (and in Faerun specifically) might be like. And it hopefully does something to help trans people feel seen and respected. And at the very least, it gets us thinking and talking about how a game like BG3 should actually deal with representation of gender identity, rather than ignoring the topic entirely.

As I've previously said in this thread, I really hope the full release will go further and do better in its representation of trans characters in the game world as, apart from anything else, I think there is a lot of interesting potential there. But in the meantime, I do think that the something we have in early access is better than nothing.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
PS to play devils advocate, if you want to be a IT, and you put on a cursed item that switch your gender... what do you turn out as ?, or would you be immune as you are technicaly gender neutral ?

As I alluded to in passing in my post above, I think the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity in BG1 raises all kinds of interesting and difficult questions about sex and gender, which goes to show that just because something is designed for fun and giggles (which it surely was) doesn't mean it can't also be thought-provoking and potentially political.

For example, does the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity basically change your body to have the "opposite" genitalia, secondary sexual characteristics and even chromosomes? If so, then we'd probably now characterise it as changing sex rather than gender. If I, as a cis woman, put on the girdle and suddenly had the body of a man, would I then *be* a man, or would I still be a woman in the body of a man, and in that case how would I be different from a trans woman? If a trans woman puts on the girdle, does she cease to be trans, and if not why not? *Would* everyone who put on the girdle (including non-binary folk) still feel as though they were the same gender as before, and if they previously didn't experience gender dysphoria would they then begin to do so, or for some people might the fact that their body changes drive a change in their experienced gender identity? Or does the magic of the girdle actually change your mind in some way so that you are comfortable in your new body? And if so does it do so by aligning your experienced gender identity with your new sex, or by swapping your gender identity as well meaning a trans person who previously experienced gender dysphoria might still experience it but in another direction? And, indeed, as you asked what effect if any would a gender identity (as opposed to biological sex) changing magic have on non-binary folk if it "swaps" your gender, rather than aligning gender with your new biological sex? Would it leave your gender identity untouched or might it impact it in complex and unpredictable ways depending on how exactly you experienced your gender? How would the public existence of such an object/curse/spell affect the philosophy and language around sex and gender in Faerun? Surely it would, as people would need to find ways to talk about those affected by it.

I'm not even going to try to talk about how such a curse might affect intersex individuals, and suspect that while considering the possibility of a Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity might work as a simple framework for some interesting thought experiments about sex and gender identity, the girdle as a concept can't support a similar discussion of intersexuality and it would be trivialising the questions that individuals with one of the variety of intersex conditions face to even attempt one.

Of course, it's not really a sophisticated enough conceptual tool to fully address questions of sex and gender either, and it would be surprising if it were given it's basically a joke item smile But still, it shows that from the first Baldur's Gate game, the franchise has been raising questions about gender identity, even if it was doing so unintentionally (or was it ...?) and only in the minds of some of its players!

veteran
veteran
That's assuming we even have chromosomes in the Forgotten Realms. As someone who never replays BG II without a girdle handy, I'd really be tickled if it made an appearance in BG3. But the question remains, how does magic, and established magic like the girdle, and Edwin's quest change the dynamic any story incorporating transgender characters. If I remember correctly there's even a subrace of elves who can change their sex every night. Of course because it's new to the setting, and the zeitgeist we currently live in, it's difficult not to see it overtaking any story it's added to.

A bit of an aside but for some of the same reasons I don't like the playersexual characters in BG3, the absence of a lot of these themes from Cyberpunk 2077 really irked me. Oh you don't like sexing men? I can pop down to the shop and we'll be good to go.

There are genres and settings that are actually designed to engage with certain stories, when you mix them together you're making a variation or subversion of the genre your working in to comment on another genre.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree with you, its all interesting, but the problem isnt that, the problem is for it to work in the game, it needs certain predefined statements, the code has to know... everything else dosent matter, couse if it the code dosent know, we have problems ;P

enthusiast
enthusiast
My 2 cents:

1) The OP's logic is undeniable. It is not a feature I like and for sure it is not a feature I would put in a game I would, hypothetically, develop.

buuuuuut

2) It is a feature that influences only and exclusively people who actively want to engage with it. Unlike other features that break immersion whether you want to engage with them or not,
Like the unlimited fast travel, which is basically having a scooter in the middle of a renaissance fair. Even if you choose not to use it, you cannot not-seeing it.
if you create a character that is going to have their sex and identity coinciding, then your game is never going to be influenced by the issue OP highlighted.

So yeah, I don't think is a good feature but since it is going to influence people only if they want it to influence them, I see no particular point on why should I want it to be removed.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I agree with you, its all interesting, but the problem isnt that, the problem is for it to work in the game, it needs certain predefined statements, the code has to know... everything else dosent matter, couse if it the code dosent know, we have problems ;P

That doesn’t sound to me like a problem as such, just that features relating to gender identity, like any other features, need to be coded once it has been decided that they should be included in the game. And that there might need to be compromises on how many such features are included or on how the ones that are included are implemented given constraints on time and resources, but again that’s hardly peculiar to this specific case smile.

Brainer Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Wasn't Edwin turned into a woman as a curse? And then certain characters (Cernd, if I recall correctly?) would make fun of him? Revising that as an identity discovery journey seems to me like the attempts to rewrite Grencia from Cowboy Bebop who was a man that was cruelly experimented upon into a "trans" character in the recent reboot...

...Which is all fun and games (being sarcastic here) when you limit it to media franchises, but since we are touching real-world subjects at this point, it also evokes the recent trend of "transing" historical figures - for the most part powerful and influential women, apparently, because you cannot be powerful and influential and display stereotypically (by someone's standards) masculine traits and affinities and a, gasp, woman according to the oh-so-progressive views on gender these days. I suppose the fact that I am not exactly a fan of it all (hence my poorly veiled displeasure at the addition in BG3) is somewhat apparent by now.

Anyway, as for the girdle of masculinity/femininity question raised above, I guess one can assume that it would revert a hormonally imbalanced/DSD-afflicted male into a hormonally imbalanced/DSD-afflicted female. Basically, a femboy will turn into a bearded lady and vice versa, or something along those lines, or one mutation will be replaced with another. It's probably easier to just cast Polymorph Self or get willingly transformed into a hermaphrodite (with more of a masculine build, though) of an illithid at that point. We could also tackle the spontaneous polymorphs that wild magic introduces - BG1: EE had the wild mage mentor character in Neera's questline who mentions that without wild magic he "would have never experienced the joy of being a woman". Which sounds a little fetishistic (probably unintetionally, or meant to be humorous (remember when we had humour? Been a while, it feels like), as it was written prior to Beamdog going all out with Siege of Dragonspear and BG2:EE...) and hits somewhat close to home with the current views on the whole debacle.

veteran
veteran
I think a lot of people would bag on 'Edwina' but I think a lot of that is because he's a misogynist who was turned into a woman. I don't actually remember his quest very well, but I don't think it was a curse but a consequence of misreading a magic scroll. The girdle is cursed though, and I think it's flavor text sets its origin as a prank on some macho blowhard. Being cursed to become a woman is certainly a classical happening though, I'd be interested in Baldur's Gate's take on Tiresias, it's the sort of thing you'd expect from a certain type of fantasy.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
<a whole lot of potentially wrongthink-filled (I am too socially stunted to tell where the line is, I am afraid) rant-like essay-adjacent text ahead>

I realize that the topic I am about to bring up is very incendiary and I wouldn't be surprised if the discussion is quickly nipped in the bud, but I am passionate enough about how the game will turn out in the end to feel like it is something to take into consideration, and don't think that it should be a taboo to have a civil discussion about it. At least I hope it stays civil, because the Steam forums sure are in an uproar now...

The idea/issue itself:
The idea I'd like to touch upon here is that the NPCs should address/interact with the player character based on their appearance - and, therefore, their perceivable sex - rather than their identity. Yes, I do realize that the entire point of the addition is to allow the opposite, but that brings us to the subject of immersiveness, suspension of disbelief, and consistent character behaviour.

We have people like Aradin who would throw racial slurs at tieflings all day long but make sure to get the PC's pronoun right even though at no point did said PC introduce themselves. We have Dror Ragzlin, a hobgoblin, who hardly hails from a standardly "civilized" society and is openly hostile towards the character, and yet he will also address them based not on what they look like but on their identity instead. Even taking into account that he is a telepath thanks to the tadpole, why would he care not to offend somebody he is considering to kill? Them suddenly displaying "politeness" of that kind runs contradictory to how they are portrayed as characters, and makes scenes that are supposed to display danger, anxiety, and hostility come across as artificial and awkward - resulting in a "he is a villain, but at least he gets your pronouns right" moment that is beyond embarrassing from a writing standpoint. Even the friendlier conversations turn into mostly rather harried and currently (or until recently) endangered people interacting with a clearly male- or female-looking PC but somehow magically knowing which form of address to use, with the non-binary ones feeling especially forced and shoe-horned into what was otherwise a natural-sounding line, creating all the effect of how awkward it is to regularly use pronouns other than he/she and their forms in a supposedly informal and clear conversation - and it'd become even more jumbled in translation.

Granted, I am not a native speaker, which is partially why I am having very hard time processing the concept of addressing somebody whom you know or can see and hear right before you with "they" in their presence, making it seem like "they" are not there or their identity is a mystery. Unless pulled off well, it turns conversations set in a fantasy setting into a particularly strictly moderated and rule-bound Discord chat. I can think of Pyre as an example of how to do it right (where you pick whether your companions either can tell that you are male, or female, or they can't and just don't assume your gender at all - with you being described from the appearance perspective as a vague robed figure), but how BG3 uses the concept does make conversations feel very artificial and sanitized. Might as well remove all the racial remarks while we are at it, so that nobody offends anybody, and have the duergar at Grymforge stop abusing their slaves - otherwise why are some forms of oppression portrayed in the game - race-based, enforced - displayed openly and addressed, but misgendering somebody because they don't resemble the commonly percieved appearance of a gender they identify as is a sin that even roughhide mercenaries, slavers and brutish hobgoblin warlords won't commit? Honestly, with how its done, were I to be invested in the subject in question (however, without an incomprehensible (to me) wish to be "represented" in a fictional setting over there being any work done about solving the real-world issues of how certain groups of people are treated...), I would have probably found it as a token gesture at most - then again, some people out there appear to be somehow happy with what is at most a poorly constructed charade of acceptance that does not recognize the issues that a person with an unorthodox identity would face.

On judging by appearance:
This is a setting where people would judge the book by its cover, there is no Internet, no pronoun pins, no globalized cultural values - if anything, were there appearance options to actually make an androgynous-looking character, then it'd make a lot more sense and will work a lot better as a concept (say, a masculine-enough looking male-identifying female character who is genuinely man-like in appearance, or a more feminine-looking male body - yes, the anime tropes, I know) - while what we do have is distinctly male and female models that leave no guesses as to what sex they are, and calling that "gender-independent appearance options" is ve-e-e-e-e-ry generous - at most you could - from the beginning, no less! - apply makeup to a man (the "femininity" of which as a concept differs from culture to culture) or slap a beard on a woman (which could either be read as a developmental anomaly or it's just a dwarf lady) - not on an elf, though. Clothing/underwear doesn't change at all either, so you cannot have, say, male versions of armors on a female model or vice versa - for obvious technical reasons, but the point stands.

I highly doubt that those knockers and those shoulders will leave any bystander actually uncertain as to whether or not they see a male or a female - they clearly don't when you have your character, your companions, and the narrator gendering everything and everyone else based on looks alone - how do they know how the three Chosen, or the mind-controlled cultists, identify without asking them first or probing their minds for it (which does kinda sound like a very sketchy concept when it comes to dealing with the appearance-identity dissonance)? But the player character is somehow always referred to with the chosen pronouns, no matter the context. Why would, for example, Shadowheart, in a moment, say "they" instead of "he" or "she" referring to the PC without ever being prompted to do so, but never once address anyone else as "they"? Lae'zel, effectively an alien, somehow recognizes the male and female characteristics of the Toril humanoids. Why is Gale being all gentlemanly with Shadowheart from the get-go, despite never learning how she identifies - and you could argue that her armor gives her vague enough of a silhouette?

How would anyone just know in a world that, while it has polymorph magic (the whole point of which with the subject at hand in mind is specifically becoming differently perceived, going back to the "judging by the cover" argument, and it opens a whole other drawer of problematic concepts with the ability to assume an appearance of a different race and use that with ulterior motives in mind...) and deities who can manifest however they feel like (they are, well, gods, and it's not exactly a novel idea given how some of the real pantheons look in that regard), is a relatively grounded high-fantasy setting where a good percentage of people, realistically, wouldn't even be literate, let alone not regularly struggling with everyday matters (wars, famine, climate, class-based and sex-based oppression), where nobility is overly obsessed with preserving their bloodlines, where certain cultures have certain expectations and traditions, where there are races which either come in one or neither sex (the hags/nymphs/dryads are all female, and somehow I doubt they'd be questioning their identity despite the chaotic nature of the fey because they specifically utilize their feminine appearance and the recognition of themselves as such both by them and by others as means to an end. Illithids are effectively hermaphrodites, referred to as "it" or sometimes addressed as male because of - again! - their masculine appearance, and so are the beholders, who only call their colony mothers that to honour the mage lady that tore them out of Mechanus), and where religion is heavily intertwined with quite a few societies - like the duergar and their heavily meritocratic cult of Laduguer, or the Menzoberranzan drow. Even the less faith-bound communities would be mostly down-to-earth and with an expectation of "normalcy" exisitng with them.

Adventurers being the odd men (women) out who contradict the norms and the setting being restructured to accomodate that because, rather than make relatively grounded characters that fit into the world (even if non-conforming in some way as part of their character, but with there being reasoning and understanding of where things stand with said non-conforming), players would instead create whatever they pull out of their backside or whatever they want to self-insert as is not a role-playing practice I ever understood, honestly. And what about when the origin characters become available? Will their identity be subject to switching also, if somebody headcanons, say, Karlach, as identifying as male? Will every line where she was ever addressed as female changed too, adding even more rewriting work and extra voiceover to do for this one gimmick that has no impact outside of others addressing the character? I would argue that having an allegedly dooming medical condition that you desperately need to find a cure for is hardly the time to be concerned about what you are perceived as by others and your survival instinct ought to override most other things, but it's probably considered "hate speech"...

On culture and specifics and romances:
Since I've touched on culture, there's another issue that comes with options that certain combinations of races and sexes come with - a female drow is the most prominent example. There are a few instances in the EA where a female drow specifically can use her status in her society as a means to resolve situations in unique ways. Say what you will about the "Lolth-sworn" drow and how messed up their society is, but it is still a matriarchy, the female-born members of which enjoy certain priviliges. The concept of being able to create a male-sex drow that identifies as a female one and characters reacting as they would to a female-female drow basically throws the cultural aspects out the window, again, on the basis of immaterial identity which does raise certain parallels to how one can just abuse said identity as a means to access things that are restricted on the basis of sex - both from a positive light (women disguising themselves as men to attend universities back when they were not allowed to, for example) and a negative one (examples abound, and I'd rather not go into that with how dangerous an edge I am walking already with this topic).

With the drow example I am not convinced that Lolth would let what she will likely see as the worst possible transgression to go unpunished. Will a Rashemi boy with a talent for magic be taken in to be trained as a witch were he to simply assume a female identity, then? Will a character like Shar-Teel from BG1 think that a female-identifying man is anything but a fraud in her eyes? What would the girdle of masculinity/femininity even do to a non-binary character? Rather than tackle what would arise as subjects if identity comes into play, it is simply ignored with such an implementation, so, again, it rings hollow. And there's romances. There was plentiful arguing already as to how making everybody "player-sexual" basically denies the portrayal of any sexuality in the companions, be it straight, homosexual, or bisexual, but with gender identity being thrown into the mix the whole picture becomes even more convoluted when considered, especially since it's apparently the identity RATHER than sex that comes into play during, well, sex (yes, I did create a male-identifying female character to check which version of the Minthara scene will be used for research purposes), resulting in a rather, um, anatomically incorrect scene which is even more awkward and rather absurd-looking from the animation point of view (somewhat muddying the implications of the fact that Larian did bother to make 4 scenes to account for both sexes and both options there!). It... wouldn't exactly work with a male/male scene for example, I am afraid, once these are in. Which version would then be used for a non-binary character, and how is the concept of "affirmation" even regarded there? And why would male drow grovel before a clearly other male-looking one? And so on, and so forth.

On exploring the idea of presentation:

Heck, if it's all about presentation and perception, then the game already used to have the "male" and "female" tags displayed in the character sheet (then hidden a patch or two later, which was as much a cause for an exhausted sigh on my part as was seeing that instead of improved customization options and fixed hair colours we got two heads total and an identity selector...) that specifically said that you "are perceived as others as a male/female of one of the races" or something to that extent, and we already have the Disguise Self spell which allows us to present in a different way. Polymorph Self could serve as an actual opportunity to do a complete makeover of the character. There being more situations where chosen race and sex matter would make for a far deeper roleplaying experience compared to simply chalking it all up to "identity". Let Mayrina be more at ease and open with a female character. Have Oskar, obnoxious as he is, confide in a male one. Have misogynous and misandric characters and allow the player to respond to them appropriately. Have people who are actually attracted to specifically male or female or either characters. Divinity II: Flames of Vengeance had a gender-bender theater quest that required you to use the polymorph services, so this could be the way to expand on that idea. The idenitity could still be there, but be the character's (and, perhaps, their companions', who'd address them as they wish) business - and if being misgendered prompts them to press that attack button, let it be part of the character being played. Or add a line correcting whoever misgenders you into every dialogue that can happen in. Probably not happening. Again, highlighting how such an implementation lacks actual impact in terms of role-playing and making it both offensive to people who don't want it in their games and such and potentially disappointing to those that do - though, again, someplace like Tumblr is positively climaxing (sorry) over it.

Conclusion:
There sure were a few tangents that may have made this pseudo-rant of mine incoherent, and while I am quite certain that is, at most, screaming into the void, given how this is a WotC licensed product and their industry-standard hypocritically "supportive" opinion on the subject in question - but it's something I really felt like throwing out there as pondering material and a form of feedback after playing around with Patch 9 (which is a really good patch - reactions and level 5 are here at last! - although I did hope there will be at least one more large update before the release date, and was confused not to see the shadow-cursed lands added despite them being teased in the Game Awards trailer. And paladins being deity-less is odd, to say the least...), in an environment that wouldn't devolve into the most unpleasant and hateful individuals from both sides of the argument throwing excrement at each other and exchanging titles like <insert slur> and "snowflake" (Steam forums) or the topic just getting immediately nuked and removed from existence because contradicting the narrative even in a rationalized form is not allowed (Reddit).

Even if the aforementioned idea is out of the question because of how it may be perceived as "hateful", or "offensive", or "discriminatory", suspension of disbelief and every other form of discrimination the game already has be damned, it'd at least be a considerate move, in my opinion, to allow people who are bothered by the very presence of a gender identity option either out of plain old bigotry or because they are genuinely offended by the concept on account of the negative connotations associated with it (which I'd rather not delve too deeply into so that this post does not invariably cross the line that it already may have anyway), to not have it in the game at all or at least have it be hidden behind a checkbox or something ("Custom identity", for example), whereas those who are for some reason, that, I am afraid, I am too narrow-minded or not socially aware enough to comprehend, feel euphoria from having their character in a game be referred to by their preferred pronouns or don't mind the fact that the interactions and dialogues suddenly become, um, modernized or downright absurd at times would just install a free DLC or tick said checkbox. The DLC approach will also serve as a good customer data point, as to see just how many people are actually interested in or cannot play without having the option, while those who are upset at the very sight of it for whichever reason - perhaps even because they don't consider it an appropriate way of representation! - can have a game that just does not contain said option. It, at least to me, seems like a solution that would in some capacity appease both sides in the argument.

Or you could just rewrite and revoice the whole game so that the PC and everyone else are treated equally rather than the player character being the only one (I guess there's also Yrre the Sparkstruck, who is very bad with names for inventions, I must say, and whom many seem to just agree on being a lady, last I checked) with identity mattering over their perceiveable sex. I doubt that's happening. All in all, I would argue that having no option at all, which didn't exactly preclude anybody from playing the game and not going on rants while still head-canoning their characters as whatever identity they desired while they were seen as the sex they were (going back to the few paragraphs earlier as to how it makes sense considering every other instance of gendering others), would be better than having it in the form introduced, which contradicts the rest of the writing and world-building and results in culture warfare over a part of the franchise that many people are nostalgic about (I guess it's not new for it, though, going back to the Siege of Dragonspear days)...

...also, I couldn't help but notice how in the same patch notes mentioning the addition of identity there were plenty of specifically males and females having their animations fixed and the like. Mixed signals much? Anyway, this post has already dragged on long enough, and I can only hope it just doesn't get locked after having put 4 hours into comprising it....

I am going to eat flak for this, but I agree. Not because of the reasons you list but because of another. A corporation that is catering to make money should not care about the opinions of those that comprise less then >1% and ultimately wont make a dent in their bottom line. They can be offended all they want, i could not care less, nor could i care more. People say it does not effect them- YOUR WRONG IT DOES. The more they spent money on catering to those who do not matter, means we get less content. I may be selfish, but i would rather get levels 14-16 then a system that cares about pronouns as 99% of the players would benefit from them. Everyone else can cry me a river.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by AusarViled
A corporation that is catering to make money should not care about the opinions of those that comprise less then >1% and ultimately wont make a dent in their bottom line. They can be offended all they want, i could not care less, nor could i care more. People say it does not effect them- YOUR WRONG IT DOES. The more they spent money on catering to those who do not matter, means we get less content. I may be selfish, but i would rather get levels 14-16 then a system that cares about pronouns as 99% of the players would benefit from them. Everyone else can cry me a river.

Well, one in a hundred players is still a lot of people. And it's not only trans people who want to see their representation in the game. I mean, I'm here arguing for it and I'm not trans. You're right, it does seem a bit selfish to say that I and everyone else who wants to see Faerun include trans representation "do not matter". And I certainly don't think that all that should matter to a games company is what makes an impact on their bottom line! Plus the suggestion that the creative decisions of a company should be determined by what the majority of its players want and it should ignore others opens a can of worms. I mean, how many players do a murder hobo run? I never would, and personally wouldn't put a high priority on the game letting you kill pretty much anyone without completely breaking the plot, but I'm not going to resent the effort Larian put into this as some players do want it. More players, I think I've heard, follow a "good" path, but I think it would be a pity if, because of this, Larian decided not to bother with satisfying and complex "evil" options.

Of course it's understandable that you'd prefer Larian not to prioritise stuff you personally aren't interested in. In fact in another active thread there are forum members saying they aren't interested in explicit sex scenes and therefore are hoping Larian don't spend lots of time and resources on those for just the reasons you give: ie that means less resource for features they would want to see. Hell, for all I accept that Larian are right to spend time on content that I personally have zero interest in, I also would be delighted if they decided to prioritise the stuff I care about.

But to say I and anyone else who doesn't agree with you, who might be in a smaller minority of players who want specific content, can "cry you a river" if we don't get it does seem ... harsh.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AusarViled
I am going to eat flak for this, but I agree. Not because of the reasons you list but because of another. A corporation that is catering to make money should not care about the opinions of those that comprise less then >1% and ultimately wont make a dent in their bottom line. They can be offended all they want, i could not care less, nor could i care more. People say it does not effect them- YOUR WRONG IT DOES. The more they spent money on catering to those who do not matter, means we get less content. I may be selfish, but i would rather get levels 14-16 then a system that cares about pronouns as 99% of the players would benefit from them. Everyone else can cry me a river.

So gonna break this down a bit. Firstly, I believe that companies should be held to moral standards when it comes to the content they produce, and it's unwise and unhealthy to deem it acceptable for them to only consider money as a motivation/drive to include stuff.

Secondly and more substantively, it inevitably won't just be trans people who benefit from the inclusion of the system. I'll direct you to accessibility features like closed captioning/subtitles. The percentage of gamers who are hard of hearing is probably pretty low all told. I'm certainly not hard of hearing and I love having subtitles on. I never play a game without them. When they introduced the expanded gender choices, my second playthrough after a tiefling paladin was a non-binary drow sorcerer. I thought that from a roleplay perspective it would be interesting to play as a drow who was assigned female but identifies as non-binary. Even if the game doesn't let me engage with the question of gender any further, it allows me to think about and engage with the character concept in a way I wouldn't have been able to before. I never even considered the concept before but it was a satisfying playthrough and I really enjoyed the character.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard