Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 90 of 105 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 104 105
veteran
Online Confused
veteran
I had no interest in Rogue Trader, on account of Owlcat, but it looks pretty alright so far.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I had no interest in Rogue Trader, on account of Owlcat, but it looks pretty alright so far.
Despite having funded both Pathfinder games, I also have no interest in Rogue Trader on account of it being in the entirely uninspiring WH40K setting, and because it is exclusively turn-based.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Sorry.

Loosers:
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 single player only.
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous 1 and 2 single player only.

Winners:
Baldurs Gate 3 support multiplayer. Talked with my brother we will play BG3 together when full release then my brother buy BG3.

Solasta now in 2022 support multiplayer: Playing together with my brother has been much better and I like the challenge of Scavenger that is much harder then Authentic. Authentic is real Dnd5 rules.

A couple of minor bugs now in Solasta... still multiplayer however it work. The biggest problem is perhaps because we do not use NPC characters we get much less exp and less quests since no NPC quests. However the fix for this has been hack/slash travel on main map slightly. It felt slow to increase level 3 to level 4. We are right now level 4. Well and we get so little exp so when we did the annoying area with riddles area and we are still level 3. Thank god that annoying area is done. Only in moving in area map hack/slash did we finally get to even level 4 because I said the undead area is to hard if you get there at level 3 at least likely on Scavenger hard challenge.

It has been nice the even if you do not buy DLC Inner Strenght in Solasta you still get access to their new feats as for free.

Well and little feedback. Even though I did mistake that I walked normally and did not use steatlh we encountered Soraks on
Scavenger hard challenge! This is not to hard we this won and never need to load. There is only one Vampire that is hard is Solasta main original campaign.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 08/12/22 06:14 PM.
veteran
veteran
I am interested in Rogue Trader entirely because of Owlcat.The 40K setting has me wary, but I'm willing to wait and see just how they approach it and give it a shot if I like what I see.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Unsure about the scenario (at least its not classic Tolkien dwarves+elves for the billionth time for a bit of change), but I'm sure it will be a decent game.

I'd given my liver, kidneys and my brains had they done a Pathfinder game settled in Ustalav though. laugh https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Carrion_Crown

Last edited by Sven_; 08/12/22 10:31 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm back to WOTR. Was close to Drezen with my save. After a while off and Solasta more recent, in particular playing this real-time takes some getting used to. I mean you (and enemies) can have multiple attack rolls per turn fairly early on already, and this is level 7ish. (My main is a mutagen fighter tiefling of Motherless origin -- he got an extra bite attack right at the start of the game already https://pathfinderwrathoftherighteous.wiki.fextralife.com/Motherless+(Qlippoth-Spawn))

Most recent boss fight be like: Attack -- and boom! All of sudden my main is down and I'm like, okay what's happened exactly, let's check the combat log. laugh Admittedly something like Solasta wouldn't work here. They did a SPLENDID job of displaying all important rolls right in the window of play. You can even adjust the appearance of the dice shown, 10 out of 10. However, that'd be too much here, in RT anyways.

I think Deadfire did a good compromise -- they let you adjust the speed of real-time combat.

Otherwise I had totally forgotten with what an epic kind of soundtrack they went with this game -- even on "minor" bosses, apparently. Holy. laugh This time I'll retake Drezen for sure.

Last edited by Sven_; 15/12/22 09:06 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
So, after over a year for me (bought upon release), Drezen has fallen. And two decades after Warcraft 3 I'm the Lich King commanding an army of undead. Which is kinda neat. hehe

It's probabably been discussed in here, such a hot topic, but last year I played exclusively TB. For Drezen and surroundings, I went Baldur's Gate mode though. (In TB it would have lasted hours -- it took me two weeks of holidays last year to even get that far.) Only that there is a shitton more stuff going on than in BG. Wenduag alone for me rolls two damage rolls with her first attack -- and then has another two attacks per "turn". Which is to say, within a second or so of real-time play apparently, she makes 3-4 damage numbers pop up over enemy heads. That's just Wenduag and it's nothing fancy (like weapons triggering AoE effects after crits, spells, concentration checks, etc.) To say the game's combat was "busy" would be an understatement, even if you keep on using the "v" key slowing time.

Granted, I'm coming back to this after having finished Solasta -- probably the first ever D&Dish game in which the combat log is "nice to have" -- but in which every important roll is actually displayed right in the actual gameplay. You can even change the appearance of the dice to your liking. 10/10. It's curious that Owlcat have considered going TB exclusively with their next (Warhammer 40k) game. AFAIK it's a lot more "simple" / has less stuff going on than Pathfinder/D&D3ish. And as such would be more suited to RT than this.

That's not an argument about whether RtWP or turn-based would be de facto superior, btw. That wholly depends. I have PS:T installed alongside to this, ditto Icewind Dale, and I'm enjoying myself there quite a bit more in combat. Which is likely at least some to do with the visualization too though. Simpler and less effects-laden times. Hits in the Infinity Engine games are immediately noticeable: There's blood displayed on the simple 2D sprites and a sound. It's simple, visually distinctive and works. Whereas on one of my last random encounters in WOTR, I had barely commenced "attack", and all of a sudden the first enemy was down already.

Anyway, back to war. I made a save upon finally getting "full control" over my army and toyed around with that a bit, simply building and passing time to see how things work -- and I quite enjoy the army management still too, despite its simplicity. Plus, asa Lich I command zombies and skeletons rising in numbers with each enemy defeat -- what's not to like? laugh

Last edited by Sven_; 18/12/22 01:40 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Also, sorry for the double post, but did they nerf the weather effects? On Kingmaker, standing in a storm gifted "debuffs", such as ranged hits being more difficult due to penalties.

I have yet to see that once in WOTR, even when standing in the middle of a thunder storm (except for the lightning strikes eventually even hitting random deer in the forest and out of sight -- which always makes me crack up as it's naturally also being displayed in the combat log). laugh And yes, I've tuned that weather option to be at its most "severe". Enemies would be affected anyways too.

Last edited by Sven_; 18/12/22 01:58 AM.
old hand
old hand
IIRC they toned down weather debuffs even in Kingmaker with the enhanced edition, and I don't recall them even being a thing outside of heavy rain in WotR. Probably because you hardly spend any time in any non-urban outdoor areas in the latter.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
IIRC they toned down weather debuffs even in Kingmaker with the enhanced edition, and I don't recall them even being a thing outside of heavy rain in WotR. Probably because you hardly spend any time in any non-urban outdoor areas in the latter.

Could very well be, never played the Enhanced. The thing is that there's still weather options in WOTR where you can tune things.

During my first day as a Lich command, this game lets me:

- throw out a bunch of Paladins who claimed they wouldn't trust me anyways (surprise!)
- build a tower as the coming landmark of my immortal lichness
- replace the much too expensive foot soldiers as flesh shields of my army with cheap prisoners
- raise 600 zombies and 600 skeletons as a starting bonus (auto-growing in numbers with each enemy defeat)
- thus build an army entirelly of hell knights, undead and a couple thousand not-so-voluntary in just a couple weeks in-game time

This wasn't *known* to me when I started out. But had I *known* this, I would have never paused playing last year.

666 out of 666.

Last edited by Sven_; 19/12/22 02:55 AM.
T
Banned
Banned
T
Solasta DND5 limited license multiplayer main campaign:
++ They gave improved characters looks from over 2 years ago better graphics nowadays. I would not say graphics are good but they are decent enough.
+ Multiplayer seems stable and works good.
+ Less stress when I control 2 customer made characters and my brother controls 2 characters.
+ Riddles less annoying slightly with my brothers help.
+ Cool battles rarely...
+ Scavenger hard challenge +25% HP for all enemies and +1 to hit an +1 saving rolls for enemies and deadly AI.
+ Almost Drama the VAMPIRE fight... my brother are you going to die soon!!! Terminator me: We must use this tactics or we all die!!
The Vampire fights we we level 5 and we did won Scavenger hard challenge perhaps since I have learned better DnD 5 rules... and used expert tactics.
It felt challenging but we did won on first try,.. however my brother screamed in panic almost when the VAMPIRE fight felt hard challenge specially at
Scavenger hard challenge that is harder challenge then normal DnD 5 Authentic rules.
- Still some bugs.. once we needed to load older save due to a bug.
- Still way to many annoying riddles.
My vote: 8/10 or 4/5 stars as multiplayer..

We are currently level 6 in Solasta multiplayer campaign, but my brother has currently fever so I do not know when we next time play it again.
This is not some empty brag... I have learned better Dnd 5 rules...if you want tips how to win this VAMPIRE battle you can send me personal messages but I do not want to spoil my expert tactics.
How to win this VAMPIRE battle on the very first try at second hardest challenge level. Oh and as buypoint or rolled characters we use rolled attributes but we were level 5 when we won Vampire battle on + Scavenger hard challenge +25% HP for all enemies and +1 to hit an +1 saving rolls for enemies and deadly and smart AI.

That said I do not have a solution to every group composition or badly rolled attributes etc. or you want on purpose to make your characters less good etc. Our group that won the Vampires consisted of Battle Cleric, Rogue, Paladin and Wizard all were level 5 characters and good rolled attributes.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 22/12/22 07:32 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Speaking about weather, climate and lighting. Has anybody noticed how well done the dynamic weather and daytime changes are on this? Last year I only noticed this subconciously. Like, when I started a dialogue outside in bright sunlight and occasionally the screen went darker, as clouds are "simulated" moving across the sky.

Then I just went to a couple places and "waited" 1 an hour or 2 for 24 hours via the in-game function to do so. Most recently I did it on a "desert" kind of map in the world wound. When I arrived, I came into the middle of a blood storm, with lighting everyhwere. Then the storm turned into rain and an hour later it had stopped. Night turned into day, the mood completely changed, as did the lighting. Even the shadows are moving accordingly to the passing of time. Tbh, not sure whether I've seen that in an isometric RPG yet quite like this.

Kingmaker was a while ago, but I only remember the passing of seasons (which also was a neat touch).

Last edited by Sven_; 21/12/22 07:14 PM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Sven_
Speaking about weather, climate and lighting. Has anybody noticed how well done the dynamic weather and daytime changes are on this? Last year I only noticed this subconciously. Like, when I started a dialogue outside in bright sunlight and occasionally the screen went darker, as clouds are "simulated" moving across the sky.

Then I just went to a couple places and "waited" 1 an hour or 2 for 24 hours via the in-game function to do so. Most recently I did it on a "desert" kind of map in the world wound. When I arrived, I came into the middle of a blood storm, with lighting everyhwere. Then the storm turned into rain and an hour later it had stopped. Night turned into day, the mood completely changed, as did the lighting. Even the shadows are moving accordingly to the passing of time. Tbh, not sure whether I've seen that in an isometric RPG yet quite like this.

Kingmaker was a while ago, but I only remember the passing of seasons (which also was a neat touch).
It looks pretty good, I like the atmosphere it adds to some scene. Problem is that it never serves any game play purpose. I remember only two times in WotR where a specific quest has to be done as at a specific time of the day and weather is just cosmetic.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by snowram
It looks pretty good, I like the atmosphere it adds to some scene. Problem is that it never serves any game play purpose. I remember only two times in WotR where a specific quest has to be done as at a specific time of the day and weather is just cosmetic.

I agree. As said, in Kingmaker being in the middle of a storm gave debuffs (to ranged combat, at least, don't remember what else).

The only thing affected I've seen in 50 hours or so since I began last year is: Lightning striking your own party for damage (reflex saving throw to half), random NPCs of the map and even deer. (Always cracks me up when the combat log says an animal was just hit by lightning and killled somewhere on the map).

I think it would have been easy to code it so that there was a penalty for spotting upon sneaking, etc. at night.

Still, this is really well done. Here's the same place at night.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Early hours of morning

Middle of the day.

Approaching evening again, raining (blood).

Naturally, ambient fx (heat flickering in the sun, foliage moving in the winds) and sound changes accordingly. Seriously blood storms meanwhile are another thing altogether. laugh

Last edited by Sven_; 22/12/22 02:35 AM.
T
Banned
Banned
T
Sigh Solasta main campaign is way to easy on so many fronts except annoying riddles. We quit today when my brother said sigh we need to google this riddle.

After the Vampire fight nothing has felt challenging so we changed from Scavenger to Cataclysm mode where enemies give 50% more damage and have lots of more HP. We have not enabled Ironmode though that is only one save and permament death no load possible if you die. Otherwise Cataclysm is hardest challenge level and it feels like a walk in the park if you exlcude Vampire fight that was even somewhat challenging on Scavenger challenge level.

Really why does Cataclysm feel easy? Once we have got level 6 we win everything on first try even on Cataclysm.
The only thing I liked the Dwarf officer named Nikkanen name sounds like a Finn. You can google on youtube "Why Finland Joining NATO Checkmates Russia" and there is a symbol of Queen chess piece representing Finland.

There seems so far nothing challenging after the Vampire fight in Solasta main campaign unless you count annoying riddles.

I heard expansion Lost Valley in Solasta DnD 5 limited license game is a bit more challenging well I really hope that is true.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 23/12/22 09:28 PM.
veteran
veteran
Sorry you're not having a good time with it. I had a tough time just on normal difficulty myself.

enthusiast
enthusiast
On normal outside a couple fights I didn't find Solasta THAT overly challenging myself (normal with manual tunes to enemies usingmore abilities and deadlier AI). I played the DLC too, enjoyed that though as well, it's more open. Without spoiling, there was a situation early on where I had pissed off a major faction, and they all ganged up on me -- we didn'T last long (in the late game I came back and took revenge, which was actually pretty close as one of my four characters was close to dying, and if one character dies, it's game over on this). laugh

Admittedly, when making my parties for each, I rolled until I got at least one 18 for each character. Which is a bit "cheap" from myself. But then I'm typically totally min-maxing on IWD et all dumping CHA stats to kingdom come, so... I've still the (free) two-parts campaign to play they released for free as a demo for the dungeon maker back then. When I do, I will make characters either rolling but once. Or using the standard D&D array, which gives you a 16, 15, 14, 13, 12 and 11 to assign to the attributes.

I've seen the argument brought up that this is what the game's actually balanced for.

Last edited by Sven_; 24/12/22 05:31 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Speaking of a challenge, even on the "hardest" crusade difficulty, the full army management available in Chapter 3 in WOTR is clearly tuned towards players who'd rather play BG over and over again. In other words: Who would rather not care in between jumping from one quest (action) setpiece to the next one, game finished.

Even ignoring everything (you get actual upgrades to your army if you engage with your advisors and event cards), all you need to do is building a few facilities that grant you a few steady income of units each week. The demon armies that attack your areas are total weaklings with no general anyway. Much like the mighty dragons and legendary super mutants in a Bethesda game, the demons eager to retake Drezen ASAP only exist in the lore.txt of this game. And those armies you attack to conquer yourself, you can pick them in an order that you're almost always somewhat "overpowered", so they (optionally) flee on sight. Granted, by chance I picked a mage as my general's army, which being available to heal as well as throw deadly fireballs early on, is supposedly the easiest anyway.

Still, much like the concept of time passing being an actual thing coupled with carry weight slowing down traveling in Kingmaker -- it seems all tuned for people who'd rather not give much of a damn. That is on TOP of making it all fully optional anyway. Still kinda like moving my noble army of undead, hellknights and prisoners around, mind you. I'm here as a commander for a change, not some random quest errand boy.

Last edited by Sven_; 24/12/22 06:36 AM.
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Sorry you're not having a good time with it. I had a tough time just on normal difficulty myself.
Whatever enjoy it then.

I do not take a attributes of 16, 15.... We rolled my Paladin has 20 STR and 20 CHA and 18 CON... level 6. Paladin Halelf took +2 CHA and +1 CON +1 STR. I roll 18 18 17... the other not so good.

Well and tactics... vs Vampires the Wizard had cast FLY spell on my Paladin. Well then since not Oath of Vengeance I used Oath of Devotion .... well and then I get +5 from STR + 5 from CHA +3 =+13 even to hit and make my weapon like magic weapon.

Armor 22 with : Kill Vampires. The Wizard did also attack will spell Vampires and Battle Cleric will spell Daylight vs
Vampires..

Vs Vampires my Cleric and Paladin did use Protect vs Evil & Good
Spell effects
Protect vs Evil & Good targets one ally. It grants Protected from Evil and Good – aberrations, celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target, and cannot charm, frighten, or possess it. If the target is already charmed, frightened, or possessed by such a creature, the target has advantage on any new saving throw against the relevant effect.

Really that Vampires did attack my Paladin with armor 22 and Vampire did have disadvantage on attack rolls good luck to the Vampires... my level Paladin did use then 2 attack and maximum Divine Smite vs Vampire the worst that fly.
The Vampire leader did die fast even with +25% HP.

Soraks? Haha My Paladin does hit Soraks if even with roll of 2.... 2+13 +perhaps more done hit. Well Soraks do not like if there is light they like darkness generally it is only then they can get more hp. Ok sometimes there is dark anyway but then focus to kill them like so even if the get more HP they will die.

There is youtube how play if you do not. I did not say that or fight is bad. It is more like a bit to easy to win and then I hate the riddles. We did stop play when my brother said argh we need to look how to do this riddle.

Seems you two do not know best spells or tactics vs enemies in Solasta. I have seen so many Vampire Tv Series and movies so to use Daylight vs Vampires is really common logic. There are lots of youtube videos how to win Cataclysm challenge in Solasta. I do not need to see how to win on hard fight but sometimes we do look with my brother how to solve a riddle videos.
What you can not roll attributes in ALFA BG3? True I really dislike the 27 point system, but likely at full release also BG3 get more hard then normal and that you also can roll instead of use 27 points.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 24/12/22 01:52 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
I heard expansion Lost Valley in Solasta DnD 5 limited license game is a bit more challenging well I really hope that is true.
Lost Valley definitely has far greater encounter variety, and was definitely higher in difficulty too. For instance, you hardly ran into any casters or ranged enemies in the main campaign. Lost Valley throws a lot more of them at you, and rather early at that too. People have actually complained about being ambushed by enemies that seem to be significantly higher level than the party. During the main campaign, you would eventually out-level random encounters to the point where the game decides that the enemies would just run away before initiating combat. That doesn't happen in Lost Valley, since it takes place in a much smaller map (traveling from one end of the map to the other within Lost Valley's campaign takes about 1 in-game day, compared to about 10 days in the main campaign), the lower level encounters seemingly get replaced by higher level ones instead, though venturing out to western side of the map still seemingly results in slightly harder encounters compared to the area between the starting point and the main hub city.

For example, one of the main campaign's optional endgame boss fights pitted you against a Remorhaz at the end of a major sidequest chain, which is basically kind of like a dragon in terms of threat level. One of Lost Valley's hardest random encounters pitted you against THREE of them. In my multiplayer run of Lost Valley, we ran into said random encounter at level 9 and promptly wiped to it.

Since Lost Valley is a lot more open-ended, you can end up facing endgame encounters much earlier if you choose to pursue working for specific factions immediately, instead of exploring your options as much as possible before picking a side. But because of this (and that encounters seem to have more challenging enemies on average), you also seemingly level a lot faster in Lost Valley compared to the main campaign too.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 24/12/22 08:10 AM.
Page 90 of 105 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 104 105

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard