Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 32 1 2 30 31 32
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by marriorqq
This is indeed a hot topic in BG3. People are looking forward to a more perfect mechanism based on the expectations of this game, but is there a need for improvement? There seems to be no better answer.

I offer my answers and suggestions:
The original official approach was to not rest all the time, and the appearance of the characters would be messy, but due to some feedback, the ninth version has alleviated this effect.

The battle mechanism should be related to whether the length of the break is long or not. The official added a certain plot to this mechanism, which did lead to some different opinions.

My solution is to return to the combat mechanism and the reward mechanism.
Build the fatigue system:

1. Every time you go through a battle, you will be given a point of fatigue (not just the appearance is dirty)
2. For those who are resting in the camp without participating in the battle, the fatigue value will not increase after the battle. Players are encouraged to use backup players to play.
3. A long rest restores 3 points, and a short rest restores 0.5 points; once the fatigue value reaches 5 points, some negative effects will be given.

4. Try to give examples of the types of negative effects, based on different levels of fatigue (fatigue values 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.)
(Lv1) In the first round of the battle, our team must be in a delayed attack order. However, surprise attacks can eliminate this effect.
(Lv2) Penalties are imposed on stealth checks in normal state.
(Lv3) The character's field of vision and movement distance are penalized.
(Lv4) Penalties are imposed on hit/evasion checks.
(Lv5) HP will be reduced by 7% at the beginning and after the battle.

5. Based on D&D, I am designing a dice rolling system to balance it.
The higher the Fatigue value, the more debuffs above can be triggered; however each triggering effect is subject to a Constitution check.
There is no penalty for passing the check, and a penalty for failing the check.
But the check penalty for a critical failure is doubled.

6. Based on rewards and punishments in parallel, the following are possible reward systems (according to different fatigue levels):
(1) Additional monetary rewards
(2) Experience gained from battles increases
(3) Story props (magic cubes?), will give enchantment +1 to the equipment on the character (temporarily only once, replacing the equipment will cancel this effect, and at most one character can only have one equipment)
(4) The intimacy between the characters participating in the battle will be increased due to the joint experience of hard battles
(5) You can find hidden props by cleaning the battlefield, use the shovel to dig up the mysterious treasure chest. (Rewards for the battle-crazed who seek the toughest battles.)

Oh Lord no. Sorry, but that creates a ton of issues. First, it's way too complicated. You'll lose half to 3/4ths your audience. 2. You'll Long Rest MORE. If I get a point of Fatigue every fight, I'll do maybe 3 and LR. Right now, if I'm good, I can go quite far without LYING.

The true LR issue is that people can spam it, making SR pointless. There is no actual benefit to SR other than convenience.

Don't get me wrong, some of the concepts you made have promise, but I think overall the main issue was missed.

For example, I liked how characters who fight together gain more intimately.

Last edited by GM4Him; 23/12/22 06:26 AM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Originally Posted by marriorqq
This is indeed a hot topic in BG3. People are looking forward to a more perfect mechanism based on the expectations of this game, but is there a need for improvement? There seems to be no better answer.

I offer my answers and suggestions:
The original official approach was to not rest all the time, and the appearance of the characters would be messy, but due to some feedback, the ninth version has alleviated this effect.

The battle mechanism should be related to whether the length of the break is long or not. The official added a certain plot to this mechanism, which did lead to some different opinions.

My solution is to return to the combat mechanism and the reward mechanism.
Build the fatigue system:

1. Every time you go through a battle, you will be given a point of fatigue (not just the appearance is dirty)
2. For those who are resting in the camp without participating in the battle, the fatigue value will not increase after the battle. Players are encouraged to use backup players to play.
3. A long rest restores 3 points, and a short rest restores 0.5 points; once the fatigue value reaches 5 points, some negative effects will be given.

4. Try to give examples of the types of negative effects, based on different levels of fatigue (fatigue values 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.)
(Lv1) In the first round of the battle, our team must be in a delayed attack order. However, surprise attacks can eliminate this effect.
(Lv2) Penalties are imposed on stealth checks in normal state.
(Lv3) The character's field of vision and movement distance are penalized.
(Lv4) Penalties are imposed on hit/evasion checks.
(Lv5) HP will be reduced by 7% at the beginning and after the battle.

5. Based on D&D, I am designing a dice rolling system to balance it.
The higher the Fatigue value, the more debuffs above can be triggered; however each triggering effect is subject to a Constitution check.
There is no penalty for passing the check, and a penalty for failing the check.
But the check penalty for a critical failure is doubled.

6. Based on rewards and punishments in parallel, the following are possible reward systems (according to different fatigue levels):
(1) Additional monetary rewards
(2) Experience gained from battles increases
(3) Story props (magic cubes?), will give enchantment +1 to the equipment on the character (temporarily only once, replacing the equipment will cancel this effect, and at most one character can only have one equipment)
(4) The intimacy between the characters participating in the battle will be increased due to the joint experience of hard battles
(5) You can find hidden props by cleaning the battlefield, use the shovel to dig up the mysterious treasure chest. (Rewards for the battle-crazed who seek the toughest battles.)

Oh Lord no. Sorry, but that creates a ton of issues. First, it's way too complicated. You'll lose half to 3/4ths your audience. 2. You'll Long Rest MORE. If I get a point of Fatigue every fight, I'll do maybe 3 and LR. Right now, if I'm good, I can go quite far without LYING.

The true LR issue is that people can spam it, making SR pointless. There is no actual benefit to SR other than convenience.

Don't get me wrong, some of the concepts you made have promise, but I think overall the main issue was missed.

For example, I liked how characters who fight together gain more intimately.

It is indeed complicated to read the text description, but returning to the user interface is a single status bar showing the consequences of the current high fatigue. Players can directly see the punishment effect. Like SR, you can see how much health is needed for a recovery.

My concept is more in response to some articles mentioning that specific plots are bound to rest, and some combat fanatics think the difficulty is low. Even if someone uses this concept to make a MOD in the future, it is my personal honor.

If you focus on LR and SR issues, under this fatigue value system framework.
As long as the fatigue recovery rate of LR is changed to 2, the fatigue recovery rate of SR is changed to 1, or the battle triggered within 10 rounds after the SR is given, the fatigue value will be halved or not calculated.

[Of course, it can be matched with the speculation of some players before. If there is a choice of game difficulty in the future, it will affect the amount of food resources consumed by LR.]

Hope this response can help you

Last edited by marriorqq; 23/12/22 04:46 PM.
G
addict
addict
G
It used to be you couldn't rest in the spider den, but it appears you can rest in there again. There are so many supply packs everywhere and at vendors.

Honestly, I think ONLY supply packs should be used for rests. The food can still be in the game but just for immersion and world building and have no value outside of selling to vendors for small gp.

Larian has said later levels will require more resources to rest, but we don't know what kind of scale they're using. As it stands, you have so many rests and nothing is addressed or said as time elapses.

ETA: When I watch people play this game, many of them are unloading almost all their spells in a single combat and just long resting after with no penalty. Moreover, there isn't even anything addressed in the story. And some events are triggered to happen on the next long rest.

Last edited by gaymer; 25/12/22 08:30 AM.
addict
addict
That’s the issue with long resting with me. Limiting it or not is fine with me. It’s the story side of it. Afraid I will miss something, though it seems that’s been fixed lately…

old hand
old hand
The idea that only supply packs allow long rests is intriguing. It should be thought over wether that would be a possible solution for the too-easy-too-much problem of long rests. I cannot grasp all ramifications of such a feature now. I try to avoid long rests as much as possible anyway.

Normal food could be used to restore hp then, but only out of combat. I find it a bit annoying that only short rests are useful for restoring hp, and I see it not as such a big win for tactics and management that you otherwise have to waste slots or slurp potions for out-of-combat hp.

Much depends on the number of loot in the release version of course. They could make long rests a terrible burden by reducing supply and foot already with the current system. As all the chars of my planed party except one are dependend on long rests, I'm curious what we'll get. smirk

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by geala
The idea that only supply packs allow long rests is intriguing. It should be thought over wether that would be a possible solution for the too-easy-too-much problem of long rests. I cannot grasp all ramifications of such a feature now. I try to avoid long rests as much as possible anyway.

But supply packs are so boring! And I find the mixed economy of supply packs and food messy. If it were up to me, I’d just get rid of supply packs entirely and only use food for resting, and slightly reduce the amount of food found scattered about in game. Not too much as I don’t think that regaining spells, etc by long resting should be onerous, and am happy for the food restriction to be there mainly for flavour (ahem!) but I do think it would feel more meaningful if there wasn’t quite as much food around. Especially as lack of food doesn’t prevent resting entirely.

But I’ve probably already said that elsewhere in this thread, or in another similar one.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
If there are different types of food, they should do something. E.g., easy-to-use recipes for meals each night that grant you small bonuses on the next day. +1 to dexterity checks, +1 on concentration checks, start the day with 1*level temp HP, etc.

Otherwise, what's the point? It should just be supply packs.

Alternatively, perhaps supply rations could be infinitely purchasable and relatively cheap from vendors, but they don't taste good/aren't quite as healthy. So using supply rations gets you a malus the next day (-1 to attack rolls & save DCs, -1 to [ability score] checks, etc), while using actual food/meals doesn't. This would prevent soft locking via not having enough food to rest, but you'd be encouraged to rest at the frequency you find actual food to make meals of.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
If there are different types of food, they should do something. E.g., easy-to-use recipes for meals each night that grant you small bonuses on the next day. +1 to dexterity checks, +1 on concentration checks, start the day with 1*level temp HP, etc.

Otherwise, what's the point? It should just be supply packs.

Well, the fact that food is more varied and interesting is a good enough point for me, even if it’s functionally interchangeable with supply packs (which, as I’ve said, I’d not bother with at all) smile. I don’t really like the complexity of bonuses from different meals, which I know some games do implement, but I’d be in favour of either being able to use food in its raw state as now plus use recipes that allow us to combine food into meals that have food value greater than their constituent parts.

I agree any recipe system should be easy-to-use and everything kept pretty simple though. Personally, I don’t want food management to turn into a whole mini-game, even though I find it mildly entertaining to find and use lots of different types of food instead of supply packs.

EDIT: However, if food were replaced by boring generic rations, I think these would need to come in smaller denominations than the 40 unit supply packs, especially if the amount available to be found were reduced. There’d be a greater chance of missing fewer, larger packs and one thing I definitely don’t think the game should do is encourage us to rummage through every container. (And if you’re going to have smaller unit value supplies, why not call them an apple or a courgette, say, and give them a pretty skin to make things a bit more fun … but I think I’ve banged that drum more than enough now!)

Last edited by The_Red_Queen; 10/02/23 07:11 PM.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
R
stranger
stranger
R
First of all I have no idea about D&D at all, I like rpgs games like DAO, Fallout 1 and 2, and DOS2 and those kind of games.

I really dislike the rest/short rest/long rest system. It's just annoying and kills the pacing of the game to just go looting everything to get the 40 rations required, go back to the camp to recharge abilities and then jump back into the map or dungeon again... I mean I get the RP point but this is a game, this is just taking more time to do things... For example the goblin camp, I like the idea of going the heroe's path and kill every little nasty goblin but with this rest system I had to go rest to the camp at least 4 times for each heavy encounter, I just wanted to go all in rampage at once but I had no more skills or spells.

I really like the no cooldown system or at least the DOS2 system that has cooldowns marked by turns and they recharge faster when out of combat.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Roktar
First of all I have no idea about D&D at all, I like rpgs games like DAO, Fallout 1 and 2, and DOS2 and those kind of games.

I really dislike the rest/short rest/long rest system. It's just annoying and kills the pacing of the game to just go looting everything to get the 40 rations required, go back to the camp to recharge abilities and then jump back into the map or dungeon again... I mean I get the RP point but this is a game, this is just taking more time to do things... For example the goblin camp, I like the idea of going the heroe's path and kill every little nasty goblin but with this rest system I had to go rest to the camp at least 4 times for each heavy encounter, I just wanted to go all in rampage at once but I had no more skills or spells.

I really like the no cooldown system or at least the DOS2 system that has cooldowns marked by turns and they recharge faster when out of combat.

I’d agree the approach wouldn’t suit every game, but want BG3 to be as authentic D&D as possible and don’t think there’s any way to accomplish this without the spell/ability cost and short rest/long rest system.

And I do think there’s interest and challenge to be found in it that wouldn’t otherwise be available. I agree long resting in the middle of the goblin camp kills pace, but believe Larian have balanced this mission to make it challenging but possible to achieve without long resting. If I’m having to rest within a mission, then I take it as an indication that I’m failing to ration my spells and abilities tightly enough, am not winning fights decisively enough, or am just doing too much fighting and not enough sneaking/persuading/etc. I try to complete areas like the goblin camp without long resting. Personally, I would be disappointed if the game were rebalanced to make it possible to sweep through the camp heroically killing everything other than with extreme difficulty, given that’s not what we’re prompted to do and would make it far too easy to accomplish the core task of killing the leaders.

In the full game there will hopefully be some easier challenge settings that will allow more killing with less resting, but in the meantime it does seem fair that those who want to “rampage” and go all in with their spells and skills will probably have to take advantage of the fact that the game does allow long rest mid-mission, to preserve balance for players who prefer to take the more measured sort of approach that the game is more tailored for.

veteran
veteran
I really dislike the rest/short rest/long rest system.
Agree! Unfortunately, I don’t think they would change to a better system, though, because they are basing the game on D&D.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen

... I try to complete areas like the goblin camp without long resting. Personally, I would be disappointed if the game were rebalanced to make it possible to sweep through the camp heroically killing everything other than with extreme difficulty, given that’s not what we’re prompted to do and would make it far too easy to accomplish the core task of killing the leaders.

In the full game there will hopefully be some easier challenge settings that will allow more killing with less resting, but in the meantime it does seem fair that those who want to “rampage” and go all in with their spells and skills will probably have to take advantage of the fact that the game does allow long rest mid-mission, to preserve balance for players who prefer to take the more measured sort of approach that the game is more tailored for.

Wow, the whole goblin camp without long resting? That's an achievement. Maybe I'm traumatized as I once lost the first fight against Mutt and her goblins, shortly after EA release (and I lost only 4 fights since EA release alltogether), but I usually rest after each boss (sometimes when I'm lucky I can do Mutt and Ragslin and the mean traders in one rush, but not Mintara too). I also always rest before Auntie Ethel (another lost first fight ...). eek

To the supply packs, they are boring but for me they have the magic of not cluttering my inventory. I don't like the many food items I find, I'm lazy, because there are already the supply packs. Changing the current foot to cooking ingredients does not work well because many food you find is already cooked. But I like the idea to bind some advantages and disadvantages to certain food types. I always play survival versions of games with additional needs and pressures, so I'm not unused to some micromanagement. smile

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Wow, the whole goblin camp without long resting? That's an achievement.

Well, I do not find it at all easy, but that’s the fun! It’s certainly easier for a character willing to leave a number of goblins alive, though, whereas my paladin who wanted to clear the whole camp had the party hanging to life by a thread by the end.

I also always rest before Auntie Ethel (another lost first fight ...). eek

Yep, I also try to do the whole bit from meeting Ethel and Mayrina’s brothers through to the end of that quest without resting, though confess that in one of my patch 9 playthroughs I failed at that when I tried to fight Ethel supported by the masks at level 4 having burnt a number of Shadowheart’s level 1 spells on protections from evil. It was close, but after about four goes I did give up and come back and try again at level 5. I like to challenge myself, but not to the point of total frustration!

Changing the current foot to cooking ingredients does not work well because many food you find is already cooked.
I don’t see why finding some pre-cooked food is at all incompatible with a system which lets you use recipes to combine raw ingredients into cooked food. It would just mean that some stuff you find can be used in recipes to increase how much it counts towards your rest rations, whereas your processed ready-meals have to be used as is. There are many, many raw ingredients to be found in the game currently that could be used in that way.

old hand
old hand
I had about 15 or so Auntie Ethel fights (it's always after I got lvl 4 after the gnolls and Anders and before the goblin camp) but never one where she was supported by the masks. In what situation does this happen? It really sounds like a very very hard fight.

If you differentiated between non-ingredient and ingredient food, you had a third category of the same item. Don't like that. In such a case I would want the ready-to-eat food only for hp replenishment (out of combat). The food ingredients for "sleeping food" should go into a separate box in the camp. I find it very tedious to interact with the current chest in the camp, and looking for ingredients in it would be a nightmare. Same if the ingredients would clutter your inventory forever. The cooked food could give bonuses, but I would not like negative influence from using supply packs.

Generally such a more elaborated food system could add to the game. In the end it's all the question of plentitude of loot. Currently I don't have the slightest feeling of scarcity for food, as if I would play Fallout 4 without a hardcore loot overhaul mod.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I had about 15 or so Auntie Ethel fights (it's always after I got lvl 4 after the gnolls and Anders and before the goblin camp) but never one where she was supported by the masks. In what situation does this happen? It really sounds like a very very hard fight.

If the masks are still alive when you fight Ethel in her lair she’ll call them to support her unless you kill her very quickly indeed. There are various ways to achieve this (particularly if the bug that prevented sneaking past them has been fixed, which I’ve not checked), but I’ll not spoiler them here. The masks don’t need to be killed as they’ll turn neutral once Ethel is dead (unless you get hit by the bug that intermittently prevents that), but still make the battle pretty hard as they’ll attack and debuff your party and heal Ethel unless you can stop them.

If you differentiated between non-ingredient and ingredient food, you had a third category of the same item. Don't like that.

Fair enough. Sometimes we just have different preferences. But just in case I’ve not been clear about what mine actually are, I would like to:
  • Be able to use all food in the form in which we find it to contribute to the total amount required to fully rest (ie exactly how it works now).
  • Reduce the amount of food lying around (to be fair, this isn’t so much of a problem in the Underdark).
  • As a nice-to-have, get some easy-to-use recipes that allow us to combine some food items into meals that contribute more points towards a full rest than the constituent parts would if used in their raw form. The recipe interface, if we have one, should enable us to click on the recipe to create the meal from our party inventory rather than faffing around finding their constituent parts and combining them.
  • Get rid of supply packs.
  • Don’t add any more complex mechanisms around food management or boosts from specific meals.

I do agree that traveller’s chest management could be improved, and would be in favour of enabling food to be selected directly from it in the rest dialogue box, and including its contents in the party inventory view when in camp. Though personally I tend to just dump a couple of nights’ worth of food in there for emergencies but then never touch it as I generally have enough food in my party inventory to rest with.

S
S
Well, I should prefer a realistic rest system but with D&D rules, it seems to be not so possible so I will deal with what the system is offering for now , dreaming of some mods to do better.

Regarding SR & LR,

I get used of the current system by doing my two shorts rests seen like 1/3 of the day, 2/3 of the day then long rest. If I expect a big fight, I stop my day before and it is ok. It is not the best but acceptable.
If you are not using the tadpole, well, the tadpole is not growing from my experience so LR at camp could be quite boring.

Regarding main camp

- Some optional activities like fishing/ fishing with the owlbear, cooking, crafting if a dedicated workbench is available, looking at stars, etc should be nice.
- Cooking should allow to create meals from raw ingredients and should bring more rest points. We have already examples of mushroom soup or bouillabaisse (a french meal) so I think it is already on the pipe with the final release.
- Dedicated workbench are not provided automatically. The slot is existing but you need to combine stuff found during explanation to get the installation.
Example : cooking is possible if you combine fire place + cooking pot => cooking station

- When you are using Send to camp option, objects are going into a dedicated container ( no tomatoes anymore stored under a heavy plate armor !!!)
Example : barrel for vegetables, chest for armors, pile of books for book (even if storing book outside is probably not a good thing crazy
- Ideally, you collect the container you want during exploration and at camp, you transform it as a dedicated container not existing yet.
=> This feature implies that every object has a tag to identify that this carrot is a vegetable, this piece of pork is meat, etc Technically feasible i guess.

- Remove the zombie from the camp (I don't want to sleep with a zombie with not clear intentions around me)
- After rescuing Volo, it could become the crap dealer of the gang. It would probably also provide access to the mercenaries (if I look to the title provided by the system in my french version) or organize the camp by providing supplies for workbench (with some coins).

Regarding mini camp

I should have prefer to be able to camp directly on the map on some locations but unfortunatly it will not happen. I am still finding weird to see these camping sites popping from nowhere but ok.

- Still no zombie
- Volo not available
- Creating a mini camp is consuming a supply bag to establish the camp (and create the fire place) as a prerequisite
- No workbench available
- 4 sleeping bags on inventory needed as prerequisite (not consumed)
- Cooking station can be enabled if you combine the right objects
- Containers camp not available
- Extra companions not available
- Medium to high risk of encounters (based if the "dungeon" is cleared or not)

Dans le doute, frappe ...
Page 32 of 32 1 2 30 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard