Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#837733 25/12/22 11:21 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Once upon a time, let's say in the late '90s, sound in videogames was about as important as graphics.

In those times, Aureal 3D had sound cards out with hardware-accelerated wave tracing, the audio equivalent of ray tracing.

These days, nobody seems to care about sound anymore, which is a shame.

But not Larian—Baldur's Gate 3 sounds amazing. There's echo and reverb in caves, realistic sound occlusion (which I can never thank them enough for), and surround sound. It truly takes me back to the golden years of sound in gaming, and I love it!

So THANK YOU Larian for caring about the way this game sounds! It is really paying off.

I also love how the actress nailed Jaheira and Matt Mercer nailed Minsc in his audition smile

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he'll look for his own answers."
— Kvothe, The Name Of The Wind
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by AndreaColombo
Once upon a time, let's say in the late '90s, sound in videogames was about as important as graphics.

In those times, Aureal 3D had sound cards out with hardware-accelerated wave tracing, the audio equivalent of ray tracing.

These days, nobody seems to care about sound anymore, which is a shame.

But not Larian—Baldur's Gate 3 sounds amazing. There's echo and reverb in caves, realistic sound occlusion (which I can never thank them enough for), and surround sound. It truly takes me back to the golden years of sound in gaming, and I love it!

So THANK YOU Larian for caring about the way this game sounds! It is really paying off.

I also love how the actress nailed Jaheira and Matt Mercer nailed Minsc in his audition smile

That was an amazing trailer!

Its been a while, but I commented that I was enjoying the sounds of the Drow ruins / Deurgar area and was deliberately taking my sweet time exploring every nook cranny and possibility.

What killed the experience was the looping Deurgar dialog...over and over and well you get the idea.

Pick axe...immersive. Music score...really awesome! Looping dialog...annoying as hell (two hours latter).

This is true in many places.

Looping dialog should be played once (again if interaction), then become ambient background crowd noise...indistinguishable voices barely audible.

Last edited by Van'tal; 25/12/22 05:15 PM.
C
addict
addict
C
+1, well noted

Last edited by colinl8; 27/12/22 09:31 PM. Reason: Remove dumb comma

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard