Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So I've stumbled upon a dialogue piece I've never seen before.

If you return to the crash site after getting the amulet of the lost voices, you can speak with some fishermen's corpses here. One of them mentions that he didn't notice the brains because he saw "a beautiful woman" that went west and that "others followed her and couldn't help themselves".
I thought he was talking about SH at first but he mentions shadowheart as an "elf that went north" in one of the other answers.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Who can this beautiful woman be? I have a feeling that its got to be something important to the story...

Last edited by neprostoman; 26/12/22 03:06 PM.
veteran
veteran
Jaheira maybe? I think she qualifies as beautiful.

Edit: or Minthara- I don't find her beautiful, but she does have her fans I guess

Last edited by fylimar; 26/12/22 03:31 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Minthara?

old hand
old hand
Wasn't it so that in earlier Patches SH was to be found in front of the entrance to the Dank Crypt. Then maybe the directional description was wrong and it meant east or it really meant Minthara or someone else, after all Edowyn and friends were on their way there too. They might have received directions from this "mysterious woman". We must also remember that the first female corpse spoke of having hunted elves and then being attacked by Intelligence Devourers herself. So maybe there were actually slave hunters / artifact seekers of the Absolute in the area before that?

The elf in the north, more precisely in the northwest, is probably Astarion.

On the other hand, directional descriptions don't always seem to be correct, so Damays also incorrectly described the Druid camp as being in the northwest. Correct is northeast. Or am I completely on the hose here now? crazy

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 26/12/22 03:43 PM.
addict
addict
Personally, I thought this was Minthara smile

Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
On the other hand, directional descriptions don't always seem to be correct, so Damays also incorrectly described the Druid camp as being in the northwest. Correct is northeast. Or am I completely on the hose here now? hehe

From where there are, one would need to take the path looking toward the north-west direction, which would lead to the Grove (which is indeed located at the north-east part of the map).
Going east, from that specific point, leads to the ruins wink

At least, that's how I see it.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Interesting! I initially thought the beautiful woman might be Shadowheart but that makes less sense now that she’s not always found by the temple doors.

The elf heading north I thought might be Astarion, unless a gender is mentioned? But then I also thought the pod you find near him was his and he’d come down in it and broken out afterwards, in which case he wouldn’t have been on the beach.

Minthara we see watching the crash with Ragzlin from the Shattered Sanctum so it’s not clear she’d have time to get down to the beach and wander around. Because the fisher is attacked by intellect devourers while being distracted by the beautiful woman, he must have seen her post crash. Though I guess it’s not clear how long we’re unconscious for after the fall, so I suppose it’s possible she nipped down to investigate.

At the moment, I think it might make more sense if it’s someone (or someones, if the woman and the elf are different people) we’ve not met yet, but also suspect that, as this is dialogue that’s been there from the start - I think, that it might just reflect an earlier, now superseded version of events Larian had in mind that will be tidied up and changed for the full release.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I think it is unlikely to be Minthara because of a simple fact - Minthara observed the nautiloid crash from one of the temple's towers during the cinematic sequence (after we connect the transponder). And during that cinematic she and Ragzlin sent a goblin squad to sniff around the crash site. Thats why I think we can see three dead goblin bodies near the portal where Gale greets us?

I think it ought to be one of the tadpole hosts that broke free from its pod. Shadowheart went north (exactly where the crypt door is), so I still think it is not about her. It is not Mizora either, because I think her pod can be found under the bridge where you can chat with Aradin. Technically it could be Jaheira, but its unlikely that she'd be hanging out in the middle of nowhere.
Can it be Karlah? I won't call her beautiful though hehe... smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Shadowheart went north (exactly where the crypt door is), so I still think it is not about her. It is not Mizora either, because I think her pod can be found under the bridge where you can chat with Aradin.

Offtopic: But how do I manage finding Aradin outside of Druids Grove? This never happens in my playthroughs.

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 26/12/22 04:13 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Shadowheart went north (exactly where the crypt door is), so I still think it is not about her. It is not Mizora either, because I think her pod can be found under the bridge where you can chat with Aradin.

Offtopic: But how do I manage finding Aradin outside of Druids Grove? This never happens in my playthroughs.

It happens if you let him punch Zevlor. He runs off with his crew and you can later encounter them near the entrance to Moonhaven village.

veteran
veteran
I still think, it might be Jaheira. Maybe in the finished Game, she will be found south.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand

It happens if you let him punch Zevlor. He runs off with his crew and you can later encounter them near the entrance to Moonhaven village.

I tried this. Hmm do you know how much later?

Or it's not such a good idea after all, because Remira and Barth would be there too, I guess. But if Barth is no longer in Druids grove, then I don't know if the Criminal background with the inspiration goal: Finders Keepers - Refuse to return Barth's locket is still available. On the other hand, I tested the sidequest with Barth and Meli yesterday. Even if Barth is in the Druid Grove, the sidequest doesn't work.

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 26/12/22 04:32 PM.
veteran
Online Content
veteran
My thought was that the beautiful woman was the Mindflayer in the ship using a psychic projection. The survivers he's talking about where the living fishermen that were trying to dig it out.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
My thought was that the beautiful woman was the Mindflayer in the ship using a psychic projection. The survivers he's talking about where the living fishermen that were trying to dig it out.

Ooh, good idea!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen

Ooh, good idea!

If that is the case, they need to clean this up, because there are more fishermen out there laugh

old hand
old hand

Yes super. We definitely need the enthralled fishermen back!

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Very nice!

Their story telling has come along way smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
My first thought was that she could be one of the three chosen of the absolute, the pale-eyed young woman.

old hand
old hand
one of the other lines is that the others followed her and couldn't help themselves which make Jaheria unlikely... imo its a tag to Mizora who Wyll wants to find but can't because this is stil 1/2 finished EA and her quest isn't in the game yet

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ussnorway
one of the other lines is that the others followed her and couldn't help themselves which make Jaheria unlikely... imo its a tag to Mizora who Wyll wants to find but can't because this is stil 1/2 finished EA and her quest isn't in the game yet

I thought so, too, Jaheira does not seem likely for me. This chosen of the absolute on the other hand would most likely have the power to command/enchant people.

Personally, I don't think it's Mizora, since she was captured by the cult, and I think Mizora might have been captured shortly after her pod crashed.

veteran
veteran
Sounds like someone in control, so not Mizora. I don’t think it is trapped Mindflayer as as I understand he is stuck under the rubble since crash (as if he didn’t in thrall fisherman, walk for a bit and then get crushed).

It must be someone from the ship, no? It doesn’t seem like any character we run into so far.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Mizora dropped near the bridge between the grove and blighted village. you can find her empty pod there.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I don’t think it is trapped Mindflayer as as I understand he is stuck under the rubble since crash (as if he didn’t in thrall fisherman, walk for a bit and then get crushed).

I was thinking that the mind flayer might have made the fishers think there was a beautiful woman to try to tempt them towards where it was buried, but it was all an illusion, rather than that the mind flayer was walking around!

EDIT: I’ve just got to this bit in my new playthrough and I’m increasingly convinced that Gray Ghost is onto something with the theory the mindflayer is responsible for the “beautiful woman”! The “mangled fisher” by the jetty says, when you ask why he didn’t notice the brains “Woman … beautiful … couldn’t look away” and when you ask where she went says “Went west … others followed .. couldn’t help ‘emselves”. The crashed ship is directly west of his position, and the “others” could be the fishers we used to find digging out the mind flayer. Then if you ask if there were more survivors, he’ll say “Elf … ran north … up the beach”. That seems to direct you to the temple doors and my theory is that this elf is Shadowheart, and Larian just haven’t got round yet to putting in different dialogue for the situation in which you rescue her on the ship, in which case she isn’t found by those doors.

Last edited by The_Red_Queen; 27/12/22 02:02 AM.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
EDIT: I’ve just got to this bit in my new playthrough and I’m increasingly convinced that Gray Ghost is onto something with the theory the mindflayer is responsible for the “beautiful woman”! The “mangled fisher” by the jetty says, when you ask why he didn’t notice the brains “Woman … beautiful … couldn’t look away” and when you ask where she went says “Went west … others followed .. couldn’t help ‘emselves”. The crashed ship is directly west of his position, and the “others” could be the fishers we used to find digging out the mind flayer. Then if you ask if there were more survivors, he’ll say “Elf … ran north … up the beach”. That seems to direct you to the temple doors and my theory is that this elf is Shadowheart, and Larian just haven’t got round yet to putting in different dialogue for the situation in which you rescue her on the ship, in which case she isn’t found by those doors.

It is interesting that the other fisherman saw his daughter and this one saw a woman though. Can a mind flayer enthrall two different fishermen with two different illusions?

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by ALexws
Mizora dropped near the bridge between the grove and blighted village. you can find her empty pod there.

I thought that pod was Karlach's. Since it seems Mizora is still held captive and we don't get any indication she was recaptured. Plus narratively, since she's still being taken to Moonrise, it would be strange if she escaped only to have been recaptured off-screen.

It is interesting that the other fisherman saw his daughter and this one saw a woman though. Can a mind flayer enthrall two different fishermen with two different illusions?

I feel as though they should be able to, since psionics are their big thing. Maybe since it's injured and nearly dead it's just sending out a blanket call for help, using its powers to just by default conjure the image of whoever would entice the viewer to come to its aid. I'd imagine that such a blunt psychic maneuver would be easier to see through, but since they're just simple fishermen, it's enough to work on them regardless. It would be cool if we got to see something of that as well. Like we get affected by the psionic call and can choose who we see, before getting to make a wisdom roll to see through the illusion.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 27/12/22 11:57 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I might be misremembering, but wasn't there originally an encounter with the fishers by their boat if you went there before the trapped mindflayer? And they said they were wrecked because they were lured onto the rocks by a kind of siren-type illusion? In that case it would make sense that the mindflayer was using psionics to lure someone (anyone) into the vicinity, but once they showed up the illusion was changed to one that made them want to free it...

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
I might be misremembering, but wasn't there originally an encounter with the fishers by their boat if you went there before the trapped mindflayer? And they said they were wrecked because they were lured onto the rocks by a kind of siren-type illusion?

I definitely also recall them saying something about being tempted onto the rocks at some point, in some patch.

Though I didn’t think you could find them by their boat until after freeing them from the mind flayer, at which point they’d (usually?) decided you were tainted and refused to speak. Maybe that changed in an earlier patch.

old hand
old hand

Why? Wouldn't the daughter be a woman?

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Well I assumed that the daughter was a child. So a girl and not a woman. Though I suppose she could be older than that, no reason she wouldn't be.

old hand
old hand
Well I assumed that the daughter was a child. So a girl and not a woman. Though I suppose she could be older than that, no reason she wouldn't be.

Yeah, I was just looking at the most obvious solution, since an age was never specified on the daughter. It's entirely possible that I'm way off too, but, when in doubt, run with the most obvious choice until or unless it's proven otherwise.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by robertthebard

Yeah, I was just looking at the most obvious solution, since an age was never specified on the daughter. It's entirely possible that I'm way off too, but, when in doubt, run with the most obvious choice until or unless it's proven otherwise.

The fisherman who seeks for the daughter looks very young and he states that his daughter passed years ago, so he remembers her even younger version. Thats why I don't think the two are related.

Last edited by neprostoman; 27/12/22 04:24 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by robertthebard

The fisherman who seeks for the daughter looks very young and he states that his daughter passed years ago, so he remembers her even younger version. Thats why I don't think the two are related.

I would think it feasible that the mind flayer can cause different illusions in different people: as suggested, it could be getting people to see whatever is most likely to get them to come to it.

But Elessaria’s post has made me realise the flaw in my suggestion that the “others” the mangled fisher mentions are specifically the fishers that you used to find by the mind flayer as opposed to some of the other fishers lying around the beach. The formers’ boat is the one on the other jetty not far from Astarion, so there’s no reason for them to have been on the other part of the beach to the east of the nautiloid wreck.

old hand
old hand
when you have your dream love come to you at camp you also find out the others all dreamed someone they liked... its unclear if this dream is from the 'mind flayer' bug in your head or some random God but it does lean into the idea different illusions for different people

i still thing the girl will turn out to be someone real we can find after EA

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
Pretty sure it's Mizora. When her pod crashed, I guess she had to physically wander around. Or her crashed pod will be placed nearer to where the dead fisherman is. She is the only character called a "beautiful woman" in the game and that is probably how she makes her cambion deals. Also how Wyll got initially roped in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard