Next Thread
Print Thread
#837651 25/12/22 12:48 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question but I am not computer savvy.

I've been looking over the requirements and it says "Default API is Vulkan 1.1"

Is this software compulsory or can DirectX11 alone handle this game?

old hand
old hand
There are some performance differencies, the game seems to run a bit smoother on Vulkan, but directx11 works fine as well

Last edited by neprostoman; 25/12/22 06:51 AM.
old hand
old hand
how well the game runs on Vulkan is done to witch Gpu your system has... on my Asus TP500LN it runs the same but on my Ryzen 7 1700 desktop Vulkan is crap while DX11 kicks it

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Thanks for the replies. I did some research and Windows 11 should run this but I am not sure if this game can run it with DirectX12 (what I have). Like I said before I'm not computer savvy.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I'm sorry for bumping this thread but I plan on purchasing EA and just need to know if I can run this game with the software I have.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Super Fun Happy
I'm sorry for bumping this thread but I plan on purchasing EA and just need to know if I can run this game with the software I have.
You have not explained your system specifications. Only thing you said was windows 11. Windows 11 supports all directx versions and vulkan. It basicslly supports everything.

We are all heroes, you and Boo and I! Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
Cirrus550 #838180 27/12/22 07:15 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Because I thought that the only issue I would have is with DirectX. At the time all I wanted to know is whether or not DirectX12 would cause problems with the game.

Anyway I might as well give you the specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core processor
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
DirectX: Version 12

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Because I thought that the only issue I would have is with DirectX. At the time all I wanted to know is whether or not DirectX12 would cause problems with the game.

Anyway I might as well give you the specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core processor
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
DirectX: Version 12
Directx 12 does not cause any problems. All directxes work simulatenously. Windows 11 even changed bit their approach that almost everything installs with windows 11 in scope of directx.

However with your system specs you should be using vulkan API instead directx 11 about 100 times out of 100.

Cirrus550 #838185 27/12/22 08:28 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Thank you for your reply. All I'm interested in is if it will run properly. Is running Vulkan a performance thing or a visual quality thing?

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Thank you for your reply. All I'm interested in is if it will run properly. Is running Vulkan a performance thing or a visual quality thing?
It is both. Directx 11 is from times where multi core processors were not a thing. Vulkan (and directx12 which this game does not support) are created to support 8-core CPUs and such much better.

Then again directx 11 is created so long time ago that graphics quality and "tricks" have moved forward also. Vulkand (and directx 12) support many more visual things than directx 11.

Your nvidia card 3070 and nvidia (newest always of course) drivers support vulkan very well. I have 3 different nvidia generations cards 1660ti, 1080ti and 3080 and they all run vulkan without any issues.

Cirrus550 #838199 27/12/22 09:28 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
It says on the steam page system requirements that the default API is Vulcan 1.1. Does that mean I need that specific version to run BG3 or can I do that with the latest version of Vulcan.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
It says on the steam page system requirements that the default API is Vulcan 1.1. Does that mean I need that specific version to run BG3 or can I do that with the latest version of Vulcan.
You should not need to be concerned any of that. All needed parts will come with installation of Baldur's Gate 3 game and installation of nvidia drivers.

P.S. In technical perspective vulkan uses backwards compatibility. 1.3 vulkan is backwards compatible to 1.1 software.

Cirrus550 #838202 27/12/22 09:40 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Okay thank you for your advice. I'll see about getting the EA. Hopefully no technical drama will occur not that I won't be expecting problems from a game that isn't finished (that sounded a bit snobby but it wasn't my intention).

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Hopefully no technical drama will occur not that I won't be expecting problems from a game that isn't finished (that sounded a bit snobby but it wasn't my intention).

Not at all. You’re right to expect bugs and niggles. The game is perfectly playable but far from problem free as well as being incomplete (we only get part of act 1 and it now looks as though there’s going to be no more story until the full game is released). Still totally worth it in my view, particularly if you’re keen to try out some of the different races and classes to see what you enjoy, though, as you may already be aware, you’ll need to create new characters when the full game comes out.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"

Link Copied to Clipboard