Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#837055 22/12/22 08:46 AM
Savaena Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I just updated to Patch 9 today and when I logged in to start a new game, I saw there were no profiles to select or create.

Can someone corroborate this or let me know if this is a bug?

Thanks!

veteran
veteran
They're removed, yes. Most likely because they made all saves character exclusive, rather than profile exclusive.

Also the game's Steam cloud did not work for profiles nor saves before, but now it does.

Savaena Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you so much for the update. This seems like a good move for Larian honestly. I just wish I knew where mods are stored now to make them work LOL!

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Nope, they did NOT make all saves character exclusive. They switched to using just 1 profile, named "public". Further more they tagged all saves with a character name, but auto-saves, as well as quick-saves will be overwritten. (quite a mess if you ask me!!)

BTW. Mods are stored in C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\Mods

veteran
veteran
well as long as you don't start another game with the same name as the last game i.e, Tal things don't go totally tits up

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Ussnorway
well as long as you don't start another game with the same name as the last game i.e, Tal things don't go totally tits up

I do like the new way of displaying saves grouped by character but it doesn’t share either of the main benefits I found with profiles, ie being able to have different mod configurations and preventing accidental overwriting of quick saves and auto saves. Okay, you can make sure you manually save at key points rather than relying on quick saves, but that worked just as well in previous versions when you didn’t create different profiles.

I hope that what we have now is a transitional state and that Larian will at the very least implement true separation between saves for different characters for the full release.

That said, I did start a new game with a character of the same name (I decided to tweak her cantrips) and the game didn’t group those saves together, so it looks like it can cope with that scenario.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
enthusiast
enthusiast
I love that they've separated saves in a nice easy format so you can easily find saves per character and that the folders are created on character creation.

I hate that you share Quick-Saves and Auto-Saves between all your characters.
That is going to cause huge problems as folks playing multiple games will overwrite saves that they didn't intend to overwrite.

addict
addict
Crap! Didn’t know that…. *Runs to see if my saved games are overwritten…*

addict
addict
Ugg some lost but fortunately I do have a manual save not too long back…

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 27/12/22 02:31 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
Ugg some lost but fortunately I do have a manual save not too long back…

Phew! Glad this thread helped you notice that "feature" of the new approach before too much damage was done smile

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Again I would like to point out that they did not remove profiles. They messed up profiles. If you look at your disk you will see they are still using the same structure as before. What changed is that you play your game with just 1 profile, called public. All your saves are stored under this profile which is wat results in overwriting auto-saves / quick-saves, and not being able to use different mod-settings / key-bindings etc.

So in the end your saves are just presented as being organised per character, but technically they are not

So Larian, please put back the profiles-button, and keep the rest as it is right now.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I figured out pretty quickly (even before coming to the forums) that quick saves and auto saves are shared by all characters. So I just use quick/auto saves while playing through on a character. But when I want to switch, I just make sure to do a manual save, then you can come back easily where you left off.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
But what you cannot do anymore is for instance test a character with certain mods, test multiplayer with different settings, use different key-bindings per character.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Hoppa
Again I would like to point out that they did not remove profiles. They messed up profiles. If you look at your disk you will see they are still using the same structure as before. What changed is that you play your game with just 1 profile, called public. All your saves are stored under this profile which is wat results in overwriting auto-saves / quick-saves, and not being able to use different mod-settings / key-bindings etc.

So in the end your saves are just presented as being organised per character, but technically they are not

So Larian, please put back the profiles-button, and keep the rest as it is right now.

Okay, removed access to create or use profiles, then! I don’t think it’s functionally distinct within the game from removing them, but you’re of course correct that the Public folder where savegames now appear is within the same PlayerProfiles folder that was where subfolders for different profiles were created in previous versions, which at least should make it easier for Larian to restore them.

I actually like the functionality to group saves by character without having to create different profiles, so I’m all for keeping that but improving it so that quick and auto saves for different characters don’t overwrite one another even within one folder. But, as you say, the ability to have different mods, key-binds, etc was also a big plus of the profiles approach. I guess those could be associated with characters as well, rather than profiles, but then ideally we’d be able to have a number of characters sharing these settings, so I agree that for maximum utility we’d want profiles back as well.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
improving it so that quick and auto saves for different characters don’t overwrite one another even within one folder

+1, this feels like a gimme

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
I'm for saving per character as well, but I think it was already there. Rename 'Profile' to ' Character Name' and create it (or duplicate it from the last one used) automatically when creating a new character.

You would not need the profiles option on the start menu anymore.

G
addict
addict
G
I think you cannot dual client for creation in another person's game now. It says already connected because you only have 1 profile.

So, for example, if you are trying to create 2 characters custom and the other person is creating 2 characters custom, now that is impossible...

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
I think you still can. Did a custom party setup (starting BG3.exe 4 times) and after that noticed that there are still profiles created, named "Debug_Client_Profile_#" .
This is as far as I remember, the exact same behaviour as before.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Hoppa
I think you still can. Did a custom party setup (starting BG3.exe 4 times) and after that noticed that there are still profiles created, named "Debug_Client_Profile_#" .
This is as far as I remember, the exact same behaviour as before.

That's because you were the host and you also made all the other clients. You can't make multiple characters in someone else's game because there is only 1 Profile now.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Well, looks like yet another reason to put profiles back smirk

Link Copied to Clipboard