Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 31 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 30 31
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yea i think your right, and consdiering how these paths, not just Romance ones, i think we only seen the tip of the ice berg, this is a alpha, a test for us to play around and give Larian data... i think we are going to see paths, ROmance included only grow... and like Normal Larian taste their going to give us it, be it goody, dark evil or romancable, and lol how many of you think anything in a alpha or act1 is the peak of anything ?... *smirk* I think we will see lots and lots of more of EVERYTHING.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz
Minthara's scene in an interesting example because Drow society is one of the few times sexual politics are overt in the setting, It's probably been more than a year since I last saw it, but I think I remember her attitude to you taking into account your sex.
I can’t remember it being explored in BG3 (so far) so even if it is appropriate for the setting, Larian hasn’t done anything with it so far.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
All the above ties into the question: What purpose do the sex scenes in BG3 serve? Are they actually important to the story or character/relationship development? Or are they just an erotic reward for players, maybe that Larian has included to partially justify the rating of "Mature"? My current opinion is that the sex scenes are mainly the latter, and thus could be removed (or made optionally fade-to-black) without affecting much of import.

An additional consideration is whether these scenes affect further-down-the-line companion romances and/or game opportunities. If I reject Lae'zel and don't have sex with her, can my romance of her continue? Or must I accept and view the sex scene in order to get closer to her? If I reject Minthara, do I lose out on information and options regarding Moonrise Towers? (I'm curious about this. Does Minthara give you information the morning after regardless if you sleep with her?)

They don't serve any purpose whatsoever. Lets be clear, I would rather avoid the Sex scenes AND the romance stuff altogether because I think its such an overplayed trope. Its basic, puerile, pointless and hackneyed. However, I am not in any way a prude. I just don't see them as anything but a distraction from the far more interesting plot and subplots, and gods and conspiracies and ancient histories. Its such a rich tableau of a story that to sully it with romance/sex/whatever seems like putting ketchup on a hotdog.

Also you really shouldn't boink your co-workers and work associates. Its bad form. Causes drama.

But if you don't put it in the teeming masses, the bungled and the botched will bray with sadness and despair...and frankly I want Larian to have those people's money. Larian will make better use of it then they would.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Heaven forfend we have any drama in this adventure

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thats not entirly true, i know atleast one of the scenes leads to aproval rating, and the following day opens up several dialogue options, and considering this is act 1 and a alpha its likely we wont dip to far into this regardless... and that is pretty much in line with all Larian BG games, and their romance paths, their not only "fluff", as i can give more content and or follow up quests...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aurora42
Yea i think your right, and consdiering how these paths, not just Romance ones, i think we only seen the tip of the ice berg, this is a alpha, a test for us to play around and give Larian data... i think we are going to see paths, ROmance included only grow... and like Normal Larian taste their going to give us it, be it goody, dark evil or romancable, and lol how many of you think anything in a alpha or act1 is the peak of anything ?... *smirk* I think we will see lots and lots of more of EVERYTHING.

I certainly hope you're wrong and we don't see lots and lots of more of EVERYTHING.

This is what I believe. If they do more sex and vulgarity without a way for players to censor it, and without some seriously good game play and story to temper it, BG3 will be like Episodes 8 and 9 for Star Wars. It will tank the Forgotten Realms video games and Larian and leave fans utterly disgusted.

Here's my observation. Most TV shows and games try to add more sex to sell their product, but the end result is they die instead. Why? Sex sells, but only for a hot minute. People who love sex in stuff quickly get tired of the medium that has presented it. They get their jollies from it for the first couple of times through it, and then they're off to find another medium to satisfy their desires, forgetting all about the source because it's now old.

If sex is added to a game or show as flavor sprinkled on top of a good story, and it isn't a primary focus, it may last, but if there is too much it fails. I tell you the truth, if they aren't real careful with this aspect of the game, this could bomb the whole project and it could take Larian with it. They need to take it REAL serious.

And you never know who will try to play this game and what reviews they will give it, and how powerful their sway is. Sometimes one nasty review can destroy everything.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If they follow the other BG games and how romance work there, it will have its part in the game, it will open up its own quests and little tid bits, that said, you dont need to romance anyone to finish the game, and you will have other options...

Also Larian will as far as i know "evolve" everything equally, exactly as combat grafic gets more grafical, so is the romance scenes, exactly as the voice dialouge gets improved it improves across the board... its just how it gets as computor games more and more lifelike...

When you build a tree of dialouge, things lead or cross lead as the story evolve... now i am just taking these things up, in act1 in a alpha, we get a glimpse into the early embers of "romance", then ponder on how other BG games been, these romance quest lines/stories will continue to evolve across the entire story...

That said, you dont have to romance anyone to finish the story, but side or alternative content might be tied to it... example i never seen the minthara content, couse i aint thrilled by that kind of "evil" content, but as you see, you can still evolve the story, it have several paths to manuvere it...

And as i told you earlier, its not like its hard to avoid these scenes if you so choose... you dont need to romance anyone to finish the game... its sort of problematic how to "access" everything, as depending on our choises, if i please Shadowheart, i tend to piss off LAezel etc, if i betray certain people and go with Minthara, i will miss out on those i betray...

You express it, like you are going to miss out on the entire game, and i agree with you IF you had to see these things to finish the game... i can asure you, you wont need to romance anyone to finnish the game, will you miss some things attached to the romance, probably, but all of us will miss out on things, couse as i said, you cant please everyone in these games, its sort of impossible to do everthing in one run... ? and if you are prompted, do you want to go and spend the night together with some one special, perhaps take the hint since its a mature game ?... ^.^

Last edited by Aurora42; 01/01/23 05:51 AM.
veteran
veteran
If they follow the other BG games and how romance work there, it will have its part in the game, it will open up its own quests and little tid bits, that said, you dont need to romance anyone to finish the game, and you will have other options...

Also Larian will as far as i know "evolve" everything equally, exactly as combat grafic gets more grafical, so is the romance scenes, exactly as the voice dialouge gets improved it improves across the board... its just how it gets as computor games more and more lifelike...

When you build a tree of dialouge, things lead or cross lead as the story evolve... now i am just taking these things up, in act1 in a alpha, we get a glimpse into the early embers of "romance", then ponder on how other BG games been, these romance quest lines/stories will continue to evolve across the entire story...

That said, you dont have to romance anyone to finish the story, but side or alternative content might be tied to it... example i never seen the minthara content, couse i aint thrilled by that kind of "evil" content, but as you see, you can still evolve the story, it have several paths to manuvere it...

And as i told you earlier, its not like its hard to avoid these scenes if you so choose... you dont need to romance anyone to finish the game... its sort of problematic how to "access" everything, as depending on our choises, if i please Shadowheart, i tend to piss off LAezel etc, if i betray certain people and go with Minthara, i will miss out on those i betray...

You express it, like you are going to miss out on the entire game, and i agree with you IF you had to see these things to finish the game... i can asure you, you wont need to romance anyone to finnish the game, will you miss some things attached to the romance, probably, but all of us will miss out on things, couse as i said, you cant please everyone in these games, its sort of impossible to do everthing in one run... ? and if you are prompted, do you want to go and spend the night together with some one special, perhaps take the hint since its a mature game ?... ^.^

That's why I said that as long as they keep going with it as they are now, I'll live with not having romance. If they do MORE sex stuff like the bugbear and ogre where I was just exploring and accidentally walked in on a not so funny to me situation, if that kind of stuff gets worse, and they don't provide a way to censor it, that may just ruin the game. I'm saying that if they start having hookers in practically nothing trying to seduce you, and you had 0 option to avoid it... Yep. I'm out. I don't like that crap in games.

That said, it will still disappoint me greatly that I won't be able to romance any character in the game like I had with the rest of the BG series because I know explicit sex is involved. There won't be any Revan and Bastilla style romance for me - not in BG3 because I can't fade to black and thus far there is 0 build up to anything. The only "romance" in BG3 I can have will likely be more like 50 Shades of Gray, which I would never be caught dead seeing.

So regardless, I'm not planning on romance in this game, and hopefully they will at least keep the truly explicit stuff to their sex scenes and not mixed in with the whole game I plan to create my own stories and romances, creating my own parties of custom characters and making up romances between them. That's about the best I can do. It's not as much fun, but it beats the alternative.

enthusiast
enthusiast
i havent seen the rest of the game, but if i guess, will there be hooker/whores, likely, all other BG games had them... then as for accidental scenes, there is a possibility of all kind of depraved dark things, and these things will get more grafical couse well, the games grafic has evolved...

Then we have Wyll, you probably know alittle of his story, and seen a pic of him with a succubus nestled around him ?, where and in what way Larian takes this...

So yea at large, you can probably avoid these things, but, i should atleast prepare myself for story suprices, i mean what do you do if you walk into a nymph ? or other creatures like it, im not saying there will be, but... considering how good and life like the grafiks is getting, and DnD have these kinda of monsters, and i honselty dont think Larian will put pants and a hat on the nymph ?... and their thing like a succubus is to, yea ?

Last edited by Aurora42; 01/01/23 07:40 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by GM4Him

I certainly hope you're wrong and we don't see lots and lots of more of EVERYTHING.

This is what I believe. If they do more sex and vulgarity without a way for players to censor it, and without some seriously good game play and story to temper it, BG3 will be like Episodes 8 and 9 for Star Wars. It will tank the Forgotten Realms video games and Larian and leave fans utterly disgusted.

Here's my observation. Most TV shows and games try to add more sex to sell their product, but the end result is they die instead. Why? Sex sells, but only for a hot minute. People who love sex in stuff quickly get tired of the medium that has presented it. They get their jollies from it for the first couple of times through it, and then they're off to find another medium to satisfy their desires, forgetting all about the source because it's now old.

If sex is added to a game or show as flavor sprinkled on top of a good story, and it isn't a primary focus, it may last, but if there is too much it fails. I tell you the truth, if they aren't real careful with this aspect of the game, this could bomb the whole project and it could take Larian with it. They need to take it REAL serious.

And you never know who will try to play this game and what reviews they will give it, and how powerful their sway is. Sometimes one nasty review can destroy everything.
Wtf are you even talking about? Sex and vulgarity didn't tank Star Wars 8 and 9. Bad writing and an incoherent narrative ranked it critically, but it was still a financial success. Forgotten Realms was founded in sleeve and raunchiness. Gary Gygax was far more inspired by Conan than he was LotR. AD&D even had an official Red Sonja module.

Media franchises don't fail because of sex. Sex is basically the only saving grace of Overwatch and the only thing keeping Blizzard alive. Franchise fatigue and hack writers with screenplays no one will pick up who hate the media they adapt and use it as a veneer for their failed screenplays is why media fails. You think Skyrim would have 20 billion re-releases if CBBE didn't exist?

"Go Woke Go Broke" is a myth, and the majority of people like to be horny. Puritans are the minority.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Swagnar
Sex is basically the only saving grace of Overwatch and the only thing keeping Blizzard alive.
Huhhhh? Aside from being a rather great hero shooter, undermined only by business side of the title, I can't recall any sex scenes in Overwatch nor Overwatch2 (that said I am not really interested in Overwatches non-game content). I assume you refer friends o whatever community is up to outside of the game - but here is the crucial point - it is not in the game. Generally when someone says about professionally made media that "it feels like a fanfic" it is not a positive comment.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Sex is basically the only saving grace of Overwatch and the only thing keeping Blizzard alive.
Huhhhh? Aside from being a rather great hero shooter, undermined only by business side of the title, I can't recall any sex scenes in Overwatch nor Overwatch2 (that said I am not really interested in Overwatches non-game content). I assume you refer friends o whatever community is up to outside of the game - but here is the crucial point - it is not in the game. Generally when someone says about professionally made media that "it feels like a fanfic" it is not a positive comment.
There is an onslaught of femshep/Liara fanfic in the ME community, and it's based on the actual romance line you can follow in the game. But you're honing in on a mildly tongue in cheek remark to ignore the point that claiming sex scenes don't belong in Forgotten Realms because of the IP's history entirely ignores all the lore of Forgotten Realms and the history of D&D, TSR, and the works of Ed Greenwood and Gary Gygax. They were just as horny as the rest of us, and a large chunk of the og monster manuals being plastered with naked monster women and the dm guide even having a harlot table should speak to that fact. It has never been a kid's property, and if you can't handle the existence of content in a game you disagree with, don't play it.

E
addict
addict
E
I feel there’s a difference between showing breasts/ alluding to the presence of sex in the game world and having a graphic scene of a oral sex.

veteran
veteran
There is an onslaught of femshep/Liara fanfic in the ME community, and it's based on the actual romance line you can follow in the game. (...) But you're honing in on a mildly tongue in cheek remark to ignore the point that claiming sex scenes don't belong in Forgotten Realms because of the IP's history entirely ignores all the lore of Forgotten Realms and the history of D&D,
Sure and fanfic is not the same as game content. It is irrelevant for me what fanfic players will draw and wrote for BG3.

I also can't speak for D&D as a whole, as my contact with it are just cRPG adaptations, like Baldur's Gate, and what appears in another d&D property doesn't automatically make it a good for for another.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The problem isnt sex itself, its small number of people that want to remove its existance or dress it up... Everything in the games have got more grafical, couse the tech is getting more advanced... that means that the pixely whores back in BG1 will likely be scantely dressed in BG3 and since the grafics is more advanced they will have a better impact, exactly as a sword fight is, you see every detail more, it gets more gorey...

So, the problem is take Wyll he has a mistress a succubus, a creature that dominates and more or less feeds of sexual energy, some in this thread more or less demands they should put pants and a hat on it, and dress it according to "cristian" woman ideal, hell why not hide it entirely and put a hijab on it...

You have the same thing with a nymph, as some pointed out, the drow sociaty use sex domination as instruments to control... "oki lets dress these thngs up and remove it", so my question to you is, IF you want a modern world with modern cristian ideals, why are you even playing a fantasy game, where the entire idea is a "escape" away and be something else in a entirely diffrent made up fantasy... ITs not real its a game, let i be a fantasy as its soposed to be, nymphs and succubuses included...

Last edited by Aurora42; 01/01/23 07:03 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
The problem isnt sex itself, its small number of people that want to remove its existance or dress it up... Everything in the games have got more grafical, couse the tech is getting more advanced... that means that the pixely whores back in BG1 will likely be scantely dressed in BG3 and since the grafics is more advanced they will have a better impact, exactly as a sword fight is, you see every detail more, it gets more gorey...

So, the problem is take Wyll he has a mistress a succubus, a creature that dominates and more or less feeds of sexual energy, some in this thread more or less demands they should put pants and a hat on it, and dress it according to "cristian" woman ideal, hell why not hide it entirely and put a hijab on it...

You have the same thing with a nymph, as some pointed out, the drow sociaty use sex domination as instruments to control... "oki lets dress these thngs up and remove it", so my question to you is, IF you want a modern world with modern cristian ideals, why are you even playing a fantasy game, where the entire idea is a "escape" away and be something else in a entirely diffrent made up fantasy... ITs not real its a game, let i be a fantasy as its soposed to be, nymphs and succubuses included...
Beautifully put. I'd also like to add that this game let's you murder children, so the people screeching for the removal of sex scenes are basically saying "murdering tiefling children is one thing, but so help me God if I see 1 penis enter a vagina, I'll scream!"

Why are people okay with excessive violence and torture and murder, but the act of lovemaking is somehow too graphic to depict in video games?

Last edited by Swagnar; 02/01/23 12:25 AM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Why are people okay with excessive violence and torture and murder, but the act of lovemaking IA somehow too graphic to depict in video games?
Most countries are more ok with the depiction of violence than the depiction of sex, likely because of deeply rooted religious and societal reasons. I agree that it doesn't make sense when you think about it, yet here we are.

veteran
veteran
As to killing children - I was under impression that tiefling children are unkillable (I remember people saying why we can kill goblin children but not the others). But either way, children are NPCs, we get to attack NPCs and children are one of them. If on the other hand after completing a quest chain player would be rewarded with lengthy cutscene of our hero killing children in different ways - yeah, I would be pretty disturbed that the game seems to think I would enjoy seeing it.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
I just love those geniuses who think that showing sex is worse than showing murder, and believe that that they must preach to us, unworthy losers, about the meaning of fun. Can we have a just award them a permanent ban so they can enjoy those wonderful booby free games somewhere else?

veteran
veteran
My goodness. First, this thread is not about violence. We've had other threads about the killing of the children and so forth. Please stop bringing it back to that.

But, since you decided to bring it there, here's my answer. When evil rises in the world, violence is necessary. The whole original point of fantasy was good fighting evil. Over the last 4 decades in particular, more and more games and stories have shifted from good versus evil to anything goes.

Am I okay with violence? Absolutely, and so is God but ONLY when necessary to end evil. If a man murders another man, the murderer deserves to be put to death - generally speaking. The Bible is FULL of rules in regards to when killing others is a necessity and when it is wrong.

In BG3, murdering the goblin kids becomes a necessity because they are going to get you killed if you don't. You are, essentially, the "good" guys taking down an evil cult - or at least I am when I play. Thus, it is necessary to even kill the kids because they will alert the adults and you and TONS of other people will die if you don't.

On the other hand, if you kill the tiefling kids, that's wrong... in most scenarios anyway. Why? They aren't trying to kill you unless you are doing something bad - again, generally. There are actually a few scenarios where they do try to kill you, and as mentioned on other threads it's dumb that you can't defend yourself against even kids who are trying to get you killed.

So no. I don't agree with being evil in video games. I actually think there shouldn't ever be an "evil" path in games because to me it's kinda a bit messed up. I know their pixels and not people, but I absolutely do not feel good about it. I don't even really like the killing of goblin kids and think they should remove that too, but that's a WHOLE other topic.

So again, please stop bringing that up in this thread. This is about sex scenes in the game. It is not about the other questionable elements.

And, in terms of sex, I'm not saying dress Mizora up in whatever you said. The harpies aren't dressed up, but they also aren't totally naked either. They are borderline for me, but they aren't a "I'm going to stop playing the game" thing. Same with the current sex scenes and the bugbear and ogre scene. Why? I know where they are, how to trigger them, and I can avoid them.

What I'm saying is that if they start shoving naked and topless women at my character out of nowhere, or having more crude scenes where I walk in on people doing it, it will most certainly ruin this game for me. Either don't do it, or please give me a way to censor it so I can enjoy the game too.

Page 14 of 31 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard