Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 92 of 105 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 104 105
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Brainer
That said, the Timekeeper Warlock is a freaking monster of a subclass. Once mine hit level 10, most things became hilariously easy, what with him giving away lethargy-free Haste like there's no tomorrow (pun intended), turning my barbarian into a death machine while himself spamming Agonizing Blast with its damage-over-time effect on top. 30+ damage on a cantrip is... an interesting experience. I really ought to give it another try on the Cataclysm difficulty and attempt to get a more coherent ending.
Aha in this video they rank your Timekeeper Warlock as third best after Fiend and Hive. Well so perhaps your taste is a bit subjective.

On the other hand personally I think Oath of Devotion is the most underated Paladin Oath in Solasta specially if you have 20 on both STR and CHA as my Paladins do have. No doubt is Warlock very good class in Dnd 5 and Solasta though no disagreement on that statement. Having so my Oath of Devotion Paladin gets +5 from STR +5 from CHA +3 profiency bonus aka +13 to hit + any other magic bonus like +14 example so even with roll of 2 can hit a Sorak without a Shield. Well and please remember in settings enforce true random rolls otherwise Solasta will make you roll many 1 rolls if you have good attributes.

From real DnD 5 PHB at least my favorite Oath that really exist in Dnd 5 is Oath of Vengeance, but that is not available in Solasta.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 27/12/22 01:28 AM.
F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
My hope for Rogue Trader lies specifically in them abandoning Pathfinder (I imagine they aren't fans of 2e either...) and going for a bespoke ruleset instead. We'll see what comes out of it.
IIRC Owlcat straight up said during a stream years ago that they didn’t like Pathfinder 2E, so it’s unlikely we’ll see a 2E game from them.

There’s some hubbub in the DnD tabletop community over the possibility of WotC rescinding or heavily restricting the open game license or whatever it was with DnD 5.5. If so, it would explain why any news of further DnD games have basically halted. It doesn’t sound like WotC has reached out to Tactical Adventures at all regarding a Solasta sequel, which would also explain why they mentioned the possibility of Warhammer 40k or Pathfinder 2E for their next game back in the early Summer.

Well, bugger. Here's hoping it's not quite true.

It's definitely not quite true: you can't rescind a licence once granted. What they are planning on doing is imposing additional conditions on the updated licence. But you can do anything you like with older licences.

veteran
veteran
You know, I don't know why people were getting all cranky about the Dragonborn in Solasta. I think they look pretty dang cool. I mean, like all models in Solasta, you have your good ones and your REALLY not good ones, but I'm not in the slightest bit unhappy with them. I made 3 now, and I love all three: A Silver Dragonborn Bard, a Blue Dragonborn Warlock, and a Gold Dragonborn Monk. I like them a lot, and I think they're pretty darn well animated too when they talk and such.

Granted, I hope BG3s Dragonborn blow them away, but if they're at least as good as Solasta's, I'll be happy.

BTW - so far I'm really liking the way Solasta did the Bard, Monk and Warlock. Well animated Monk with roundhouse kicking action, etc. Warlock is kinda spooky and woo woo. Bard and his/her tunes and inspiration works pretty darn well. Yeah. I'm pretty happy with TA for this update. So far, replaying Lost Valley, and it's been pretty darn fun with these new options. Very nicely done.

A
stranger
stranger
A
BG3 doesnt have a crusade map
BG3 doesnt have Pjama tanks

And thats enough to make BG3 better in general... So i hope they wont implement space combat in Rogue Trader...

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
When I leave the tavern in act 2 my party doesn't follow me out.

Bug or feature?

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Van'tal
When I leave the tavern in act 2 my party doesn't follow me out.

Bug or feature?

real life

T
Banned
Banned
T
Yeah, now that I think about it, you never really got much mileage out of Counterspell in the main campaign outside of a few specific boss fights. In Lost Valley, you end up facing a lot more mages, several of them even capable of casting level 4-6 spells at a point where your own caster might only have level 3 spells at the most. Many of them also know counterspell and shield too (whereas in the main campaign, I think only Sorak mages actually used counterspell and shield against you), though you can bait out one or the other.

I have an example of one such fight against an enemy caster here.

My wizard in this footage only had access to level 3 spells against an enemy mage capable of casting level 5 spells. Counterspell DOESN'T have a 100% success rate in this situation. For the onlookers in the back, basic counterspell only has 100% success rate against level 3 spells and below. Anything higher requires an arcana check (which can be done with advantage provided that the counterspelling caster also knows how to cast the spell they are attempting to counter), or for you to upcast Counterspell using a higher level spell slot to match the level of the enemy spell. Remember this, because chances are this will also be very important in BG3 (and Larian will likely add options in the reaction interface taking this into account).

---

Since Solasta has all classes implemented now, I think the devs are working on one final DLC campaign before they start shifting all efforts into their next game. Considering that Lost Valley was a huge step up over the main campaign in the gameplay department (though the writing is debatable), I'm excited to see what they can do with this last campaign, provided it isn't rushed out the door.
Ok.

However every time I try to play Pillars of Eternity 2 I instead play Solasta Lost Valley. Currently I am level 3 in Solasta Valley. I play SOLO in Lost Valley since my brother do not want to play for 2 weeks now.I will play with my brother the main story Solasta campaign we are level 6 in that.

However Solasta Lost Valley I like it.
I have there:
Paladin (what Oath secret I do not say) Half-Elf man: STR 19, DEX: 15, CON: 18, INT: 11, WIS: 15, CHA: 20 level 3.
Cleric Battle Hill Dwarf woman: STR 18, DEX: 15, CON: 19, INT: 10, WIS: 19, CHA: 10 level 3.
Warlock The Fiend Half-Elf: woman STR: 10,DEX: 16, CON: 19, INT: 9, WIS: 13, CHA: 20 level 3.
Wizard Shock Arcanist High Elf woman: STR:14, DEX: 19, CON: 18, INT: 18, WIS:16, CHA: 11 level 3.
Of course at level 4 I plan to get Wizard INT to 20.
Well and of course play Solasta main campaign multiplayer and solo play Lost Valley expansion on Cataclysm enemies do 150% damage have really much HP and get plus to hit and saving throws deadly and smart AI hardest difficulty though I do not use Ironman mode with permanent death and only one save. Normal or Authentic challenge level is for... censored laugh.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/12/22 07:46 AM.
T
Banned
Banned
T
Sigh tempted to look at walkthrough. I have liked the Jungle however now in Jungle I came upon a huge door and characters says there are something Beetle shaped...but I can not figure how to open that door. Perhaps it is not meant to be opened. The survivalibilityof my characters are good in Solasta Cataclysm the only time I took load when my NPC companion a 5th member died from critical hit immediately.

I do not know what is the problem but desktop has been a bit unstable with Solasta but my gaming laptop has worked stable. I had also once had to load due to system crash Solasta on desktop computer crashed to Windows.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/12/22 08:33 PM.
old hand
old hand
The stuff past beetle door is basically near endgame content. You're not going to find the keys for a very long time.

Lost Valley is way more open-ended, you can absolutely find yourself running into encounters that will likely kick your ass if you try to fight them immediately. (For example, I don't think it's recommended to go into the other dungeon in the jungles immediately after completing the quest chain to unlock it, until you are level 5+ and thus have access to level 3 spells. My own multiplayer party attempted it at level 4 and had to rely on some seriously lucky criticals/cheese tactics to beat the bosses down there.)

It's a potentially shorter campaign since there's multiple factions and thus multiple endings. The writing of each one is a mixed bag, but the combat encounters are top-notch.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 28/12/22 08:42 PM.
F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
Sigh tempted to look at walkthrough. I have liked the Jungle however now in Jungle I came upon a huge door and characters says there are something Beetle shaped...but I can not figure how to open that door. Perhaps it is not meant to be opened. The survivalibilityof my characters are good in Solasta Cataclysm the only time I took load when my NPC companion a 5th member died from critical hit immediately.

I do not know what is the problem but desktop has been a bit unstable with Solasta but my gaming laptop has worked stable. I had also once had to load due to system crash Solasta on desktop computer crashed to Windows.
Lost Valley is trying to be a sandbox adventure. That area is completely optional, and the two keys are scattered in distant corners of the valley.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Originally Posted by snowram
Now that some enemies can move at the same time, I expect to see larger battles in the future. The goblin camp was a good exemple why it really wasn't a good idea before it. Having to wait for every goblins to do their sometimes elaborated fight was way too tedious to go through.

Yes. True. The new system reminds me of XCom DLC with the Lost. They moved all as one in a mob manner. It definitely makes it quicker.
But group movement of enemies doesn't do anything to address whether it is reasonable to expect that a low-level party of four can defeat that many enemies, even if those enemies are mere goblins. So for me, regardless of anything else, the goblic battle situation is poorly designed no matter how you slice it. A person playing on "normal" difficulty, who does not min-max or handle their party turns in a perfectly optimal way and simply does whatever they feel to be appropriate, should not have to keep reloading a fight. If that is what is happening with players, then the encounter design is flawed. Encounters ought to be designed such that an average player playing the game in a very casual way can still end up with a solid win.

Btw, I like your idea three posts up.

I'm sorry but I cannot pretend as if this isn't just wholesale wrong on so many levels.
For starters and possibly the most obvious, taking on the goblin camp in a straight up fight is overtly a bad idea and from the beginning the you get context clues that doing things this way would likely be incredibly difficult. When you fight just a couple goblins with just your party you can get pretty badly hurt or have a party member or two get downed which in terms of how games hint things to players give you the impression that these little guys are tougher then they look so when progressing it doesn't take much to think that "fighting just a hand full of these guys is kinda can already be difficult so fighting an entire camp full of them probably isn't a good idea unless i have a plan" Not only this but the game using multiple methods gives all kinds of other options that are far more feasible like characters saying you can try sneaking your way in or talking your way past guards or using the funky little tadpole in your brain to do it for free.
Unless the player is being completely and utterly oblivious to any of these signs just being at the camp just shows you that visually that there are not only a crap ton of goblins but also an Ogre and multiple bugbears(both enemies who on their own already have shown can be very dangerous at this point in the game) so its not like anyone logically would ever just start a fight there without expecting it to be incredibly difficult because its signposted very thoroughly.

Okay so we've established that this fight is pretty tough at least concerning a low level party who is just "playing casually". Why would they ever expect to be able to get a solid win in this scenario? Does the concept of difficulty not exist? I know its pretty low hanging fruit when talking about this subject but in a Fromsoftware game you also get clear signpostings about optional enemies being very strong like the Tree Sentinel who is a giant fuck off huge knight with golden armor casually strutting around like he owns the place so the casual player shouldn't expect to get a win against him without dying ALOT unless they do the thing that he is there to teach you things like how you should level up and upgrade your gear first and then maybe fight this dude and similarly the goblin camp being so difficult teaches you (if somehow you were so dense not to pay attention) that fighting an entire camp of monsters is not exactly a smart idea and there are multiple ways this issue can be solve issues both in terms of not fighting(sneaking or conversation)them at all or shifting the advantage to give you a much more fighting chance if you simply do want to fight them, here are some examples.

unleashing the Spectator to attack the goblins
allying with the ogres to fight with you
poisoning their drinks
using bombs or traps to either immobilize or just outright kill goblins easily.
using range attacks in vantage points where its harder to hit you and you can block off entrances to get to you
use pretty much any combination of these to fit your desired outcome.

You're not only wrong about the balancing of the Goblin Camp but you're simply wrong on a pure gameplay design level. Normal difficulty doesn't mean no difficulty it just means difficulty that is considered normal to what the developers have intended for the baseline experience that the game typically was designed for most to play at. I find it incredibly difficult to imagine how someone with even basic experience CRPGs could not understand the age old concept of don't attack the strongest encounter on the map without actually being ready to do it or being ready to die alot.

enthusiast
enthusiast
To go sideways to Solasta a bit again and to also add to the difficulty discussion, I am currently quite a ways into a Cataclysm run of the DLC (currently level 8). Honestly, they should have either made the Scavenger a little harder or the Cataclysm a little easier, because the damage values are a little out of control on Cataclysm (50% boost it says, which means eating a fireball can turn into a party wipe). On the other hand, it did make me appreciate even the rather limited selection of spells Solasta provides at last, because there was finally reason to levitate enemies so they are indefinitely incapacitated, or use charm person/animal to keep something very dangerous out of the fight. It also showed how cheeseable the AI can be in certain situations, like how the giant camp can be cleared at level 4 or so by staying on the other side of the river and smoking them out one by one with Flaming Sphere which they try to avoid by making huge hops (something-something BG3's jumping something).

I do have to save-scum a lot, though, mostly for trying to get crowd control to work so that enemies don't overwhelm the team. Having a monk with stunning strike (which can stun everything, from undead to golems, apparently? Huh) really helps, and makes me confused as to why people think that monk is the weakest class in 5e. You no longer need strength like you did in 3/3.5e, you can make 4 attacks per turn at level 5, and while the damage isn't too high, it does get decent eventually. Re-rolling until both dexterity and wisdom were at 18 also gives him 18 AC right off the bat. The court mage is also a good addition, because given how good the shield is on Cataclysm (where one upgraded skeleton archer can easily knock 30-50 HP off of you if it pulls off a few good shots), I can only imagine how freaking broken it can be on lower difficulties - and I've seen discussions about running a party of 4 court mages. The balance is still "kind of" wacky.

Big bonuses to enemy rolls (+3 to everything) also showcase how flat 5e's combat can become when >90% of the ways you can affect your or enemy's accuracy are advantage/disadvantage-related. Disadvantage tends not to do jack when the enemy has something like +13 to hit, and attacks 2-3 times on their turn. It does make the AI change priorities in combat, so you can artificially make them target somebody with a lot of AC by using/giving Dodge to somebody with less. Speaking of Dodge - could it be that the monk is the last class to be introduced in BG3 because we have no Dodge yet? It's one less ki power if it doesn't exist.

Last edited by Brainer; 02/01/23 03:40 PM.
veteran
veteran
I do have to save-scum a lot, though, mostly for trying to get crowd control to work so that enemies don't overwhelm the team. Having a monk with stunning strike (which can stun everything, from undead to golems, apparently? Huh) really helps, and makes me confused as to why people think that monk is the weakest class in 5e. You no longer need strength like you did in 3/3.5e, you can make 4 attacks per turn at level 5, and while the damage isn't too high, it does get decent eventually. Re-rolling until both dexterity and wisdom were at 18 also gives him 18 AC right off the bat.
I mean, you kind of give the reason in your first and last sentences. I'm not sure if your save-scumming extends to Monk Stunning Strike, but if so...that's a huge boost in power. And most players don't get to reroll ability scores to start with 18s in Dex and Wis for an 18 AC.

A typical monk will start with, maybe, Dex 16, Wis 16, Con 14. Quite likely one of those will be lower by 2 points. This means a 15-16 AC -> you'll be hit ~30% more often. An additional point in your Wis mod means your save DC's are higher too.
Stunning Strike is against Con STs, which monsters are typically the best at. Add in Legendary Resistances, limited Stun immunities, and limited Ki points at levels 5-8, it becomes much weaker. Imo, Monks only become really good at levels 10+, when they can Stunning Strike multiple times each turn, for multiple turns in a row, while also using some Ki for other abilities.

Finally, Solasta is very generous with its magic items, enabling Monks to get even better AC, damage, etc. Also, I haven't done an exact analysis, but most homebrew subclasses in Solasta are OP, so your experience might vastly vary depending on your chosen subclass.

Big bonuses to enemy rolls (+3 to everything) also showcase how flat 5e's combat can become when >90% of the ways you can affect your or enemy's accuracy are advantage/disadvantage-related. Disadvantage tends not to do jack when the enemy has something like +13 to hit, and attacks 2-3 times on their turn. It does make the AI change priorities in combat, so you can artificially make them target somebody with a lot of AC by using/giving Dodge to somebody with less. Speaking of Dodge - could it be that the monk is the last class to be introduced in BG3 because we have no Dodge yet? It's one less ki power if it doesn't exist.
Yup. The Advantage system is balanced assuming a ~25-75% chance to-hit. Beyond those bounds, it's effectiveness is much reduced.

I mostly dislike that dodge-AI interaction in Solasta. Usually if I'm dodging, I want the enemy to attack that character, because now they'll be able to tank better.

Possibly, but Dodge should be nearly-trivial to implement, so I doubt that's the main reason. I suspect Larian wanted to finish their reaction system before implementing monks, as monks have many things they can do as psuedo-reactions.

old hand
old hand
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...of-the-coast-cancels-video-game-projects

Hmm, we're probably not seeing any more DnD games for a while after Baldur's Gate 3. The whole Dark Alliance fiasco must have really scared them.

veteran
veteran
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...of-the-coast-cancels-video-game-projects

Hmm, we're probably not seeing any more DnD games for a while after Baldur's Gate 3. The whole Dark Alliance fiasco must have really scared them.
Unclear to what extent, maybe? https://www.polygon.com/23538612/wizards-coast-dungeons-dragons-video-game-cancellations says that the game by Hidden Path Entertainment is still in development and actively hiring. The Bloomberg article is paywalled for me so I can't tell exactly what was said there.

I was really looking forward to that Dark Alliance game until it actually came out...

Apparently, rip D&D games, rip Pathfinder games (because Paizo wants them to shift to 2e and Owlcat is like "nah."), and maybe rip D&D games again if TA moves to Warhammer 40K.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Unclear to what extent, maybe? https://www.polygon.com/23538612/wizards-coast-dungeons-dragons-video-game-cancellations says that the game by Hidden Path Entertainment is still in development and actively hiring. The Bloomberg article is paywalled for me so I can't tell exactly what was said there.

I was really looking forward to that Dark Alliance game until it actually came out...

Apparently, rip D&D games, rip Pathfinder games (because Paizo wants them to shift to 2e and Owlcat is like "nah."), and maybe rip D&D games again if TA moves to Warhammer 40K.
I am really hoping that TA moves to Pathfinder 2E if they don't stick with DnD. We don't need both Owlcat and TA moving to Warhammer 40k at the same time, and I've always been curious to see how Pathfinder 2E actually plays. It does sound like it could translate very well to a video game environment, and TA's interpretation of it would likely be as faithful as Solasta was. My DnD tabletop DM has been rather unhappy with the direction that WotC appears to be taking the DnD franchise, and wants us all to consider moving to Pathfinder 2E after we're done with our current tabletop campaign.

I don't think Owlcat is done with Pathfinder, the impression I get is that Rogue Trader is being done by another team within Owlcat, they were hiring for it even before WotR's beta phase even began.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 05/01/23 12:25 AM.
veteran
veteran
I am really hoping that TA moves to Pathfinder 2E if they don't stick with DnD. We don't need both Owlcat and TA moving to Warhammer 40k at the same time, and I've always been curious to see how Pathfinder 2E actually plays. It does sound like it could translate very well to a video game environment, and TA's interpretation of it would likely be as faithful as Solasta was. My DnD tabletop DM has been rather unhappy with the direction that WotC appears to be taking the DnD franchise, and wants us all to consider moving to Pathfinder 2E after we're done with our current tabletop campaign.
Are you me? This is basically what I want and why I want it. Haven't played 2E yet, but it sounds fun, and a TA game would provide a very authentic experience. It would also help me learn the rules for any tabletop 2E I play/GM. At the very least, I would like a TB game based on some version of Pathfinder (Owlcat's games don't fully count because they're designed and balanced for RtwP). Also yes, WotC sucks

I don't think Owlcat is done with Pathfinder, the impression I get is that Rogue Trader is being done by another team within Owlcat, they were hiring for it even before WotR's beta phase even began.
Hmmmm. I was basing my worries on...
Originally Posted by kanisatha
IIRC Owlcat straight up said during a stream years ago that they didn’t like Pathfinder 2E, so it’s unlikely we’ll see a 2E game from them.40k or Pathfinder 2E for their next game back in the early Summer.
I believe Owlcat moved on to WH40K exactly because Paizo told them they needed to shift to Pf 2e for any future games, and they decided 'no.' As for TA, they had already said in a stream quite a while back that after one more campaign DLC they would be moving on to a different IP, and specifically something NOT similar to Solasta, so prolly not even fantasy. Don't know if it has anything to do with the OGL. It is natural for devs to want to work on something different and not do the same thing again and again.
on the previous page, which seems to conflict with your understanding of Owlcat's situation. I have no additional information other than what I've seen you two say, though, so it's all hearsay.

old hand
old hand
I've never heard anything about Paizo telling Owlcat that they had to make 2E games from here on out, only that Owlcat staff openly mentioned during streams that they don't like 2E. I don't see any reason why Paizo would shoot themselves in the foot and risk burning bridges with Owlcat by making such a demand, considering the Pathfinder games are literally the only high profile games using the license so far, aside from possible mobile stuff none of us have heard of (and Obsidian was involved in some sort of minor online game I think, from the last time I checked their forums).

If I were in charge of Paizo, I'd snatch up Tactical Adventures for a 2E game immediately, considering that it seems WotC is keen on ignoring them.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 05/01/23 02:13 AM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
I was really excited for WOTR. I spend weeks researching my builds, and then days deciding what to play, etc. I was so excited to dig into a deep, rich, complex RPG. But the game lost me almost immediately. The characters were so ridiculous and weakly written, just immature and silly. Felt like they were designed by a bunch of woke-bent high school kids. I couldn't stand it and dropped it after like a dozen hours

Last edited by cronuss; 05/01/23 02:41 PM.
veteran
veteran
What I find most shocking is why any studio would ever go into business with WotC. Time and again they have proven themselves to be completely unreliable and untrustworthy partners in developing video games. I feel really bad for Hidden Path and OtherSide that they got stabbed in the back like this. The best decisions Bioware and Obsidian made were to walk away from WotC and never look back. And this also means that now I have even more incentive to blacklist and boycott anything associated with WotC, which includes D&D itself as a franchise. frown

Page 92 of 105 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 104 105

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard