Print Thread
#839810 04/01/23 08:47 PM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Greetings,

As a player who enjoys playing with a friend I've had a lot of fun with the Early Access so far. One of the points that has bugged me the most, however, is how the dialogue works. I'm not talking only about the dialogue between the two player characters, which I believe is definitely an Early Access problem (half the time I can't tell which of the PCs are speaking, nor what dialogue option my friend chose), but of the actual dialogue between PCs and NPCs. I think the current system, where the player who's not doing the speaking is basically a passive observer, being able to make suggestions is definitely not enough, in my opinion. What I suggest to address this issue, although more ideas are always welcome, is to use a similar system to Star Wars: The Old Republic, where both players can choose a dialogue option and it affects their alignment (for BG 3 I think this could translate into the opinion your companions have of you). Another feature of this system is deciding which of the PCs actually get to choose the dialogue option with a throw of the die. Although I don't think this second feature is ideal, it is definitely better than the current system, where the player who initiates dialogue makes all the decisions.

In sum: Multiplayer dialogue needs to be more engaging for both players, not just whoever initiates the dialogue. All players should be able to influence their companions' opinions, if participating in the same dialogue, at the bare minimum.

Kind regards,

Classique

veteran
veteran
+1. For multiplayer I like to have everyone included in dialogue, and SWTOR does this the best of the games I have played.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I agree, Larian should at least give some news on whether the dialogue system will be modified or stay as it is now. +100

Last edited by DrBayo; 23/03/23 02:09 AM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
Agree it needs to be fixed. I just tried the game coop with a friend and the dialogue really destroys the experience, since you will miss story and what the other player thinks and chooses doesn´t matter. Make it like SWTOR.

veteran
veteran
+1

You would think this system would be in BG3, as Larian already implemented this type of thing for DOSI. Players played rock-paper-scissors to determine whose decision was selected. For BG3, it'd be appropriate to make it a contested d20 roll between all players (maybe adding their Cha and/or Wis bonuses, to represent some combination of persuasive ability, force of will, stubbornness, and innate wisdom of their decision).

Link Copied to Clipboard