Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 29 30
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dwig
Based on what I have read about Bloodlines 2 I was just expecting it to be terrible.
And ... what have you read? smile

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Wormerine
@robertthebard We really got off topic so I will put reply in spoiler tag

That WOTC signed on it, doesn't change a thing. And yes, the plot might have an indepth connection to the originals that is relvealed later on, but I still think it is irrelevant. It seems you are, like Rag, talking about sequels in film/book sense, but those are games we are talking about. I will paste again definition as descriped by a giant bomb, because we are talking about games, not films.
https://www.giantbomb.com/sequel/3015-3178/
https://www.giantbomb.com/spin-off/3015-1100/

I would argue that BG3 departs too far from the template of the originals. Some departures, sure, but one would be hard pressed to find similarities between originals and BG3 aside from generalities (there is leveling, there are companions, there are items) that would apply to many if not all cRPGs.

The issue is, that whenever BG3 continues story or has characters from BG1&2 is pretty irrelevant. With Bhaalspawn Saga being finished, there is no narrative need to continue the story. They could have made a Baldur's Gate3 that would start a new saga, and as long as it would mechanically continue and evolve what BG1&2 were doing, it still would make for a decent sequel. I would still say: "What's the point of calling it Baldur's Gate, as the series established their identity already", but creatively I think it would still be more valid that what Larian is doing. One would still make a Baldur's Gate game, just start a new story, because the old one was finished.

Giant bomb describes spinoff as: "A game that takes gameplay mechanics, characters, or story elements from an existing series in a separate and different direction, sometimes changing genres along the way." On the other hand, "In video games, there is often no narrative at all to link a game to its sequel (for instance, Forza Motorsport and Forza Motorsport 2,) and many story-focused sequels drop some or all of the characters, settings, and themes found in the original game."

I don't think it applies 100% to Baldur's Gate3, as the series have established world, so some narrative continuity is necessary, but games are games. They are to be played, not read or watched. As such, how the game plays is the most important aspect.

Ok, so you don't think that tamplate as established by Bioware can or should be used. So you reboot the franchise - not narratively (though even if plot and some character re-appear, I still see BG3 world as rebooted - just see recent conversation about mature content in what used to be a Teen adventure) but mechanically - God of War situation.

I would also refer you to Persona5: Strikers - it narratively continues Persona5 storyline, but as a game it is a spin-off. If they were to call it Persona5-2, it would create much different expectations.

Baldur's Gate series as such a done for, and BG3 isn't meant to complement them, but replace them, so it isn't a spin-off but a reboot. It is reimagening of BG1&2 basic concepts with focus on different elements than the originals, with bigger focus on systemic sandbox (with inconsistent result so far) and coop multiplayer. Not necessarily a bad thing (Bhalspawn saga is done and finished, and as you mention 5e doesn't lend itself to exact gameplay that BG1&2 had) but a sequel it is not.
But we end up, predictably talking about BG3, thanks to myself and Rag, while the tread is about discussing other games specifically.

Bloodlines finished its narrative neatly in one game. There isn't really much to continue, outside doing another decent story in the world of that game. As such, the only sequel one can do is the one that pays homage to Bloodline's design. Otherwise it is less Bloodlines2 and more of "another game in the same universe".

Except that there was coop MP in BG 1 and 2, my GF at the time and I spent countless hours playing it over LAN. As I said earlier, we have connections to the previous titles, enough so to justify using the name. I'm happy that you found someone to define terms for you that fit what you want to say. I'm sure, if I were interested in doing so, I could find someone to do the same for me, but I'm not interested in that. Just as I'm not interested in another round of "but it's DOS 3".

The Bhaalspawn saga is done for. Why do I keep getting "not the Warden" vibes here? Because it's not the Bhaalspawn? I mean, the exact arguments you're trying to use here are the same arguments made to imply that Dragon Age 2 wasn't a Dragon Age game, as well as Dragon Age Inquisition. I was there for all of that. We even had "Mass Effect is Shepard's story" things for Andromeda... That series made a lot of changes between each iteration. It's nice that you've chosen to assign the intent of the developers, but can you provide any links to where they said they were replacing the original games, or is this another half-baked argument offered up because that's how you feel about it?
Most of the games I play are excluded by age. Over the last couple of weeks I've been playing a lot of Skyrim, for example. Now prior to that I had some WotR, some Solasta, some Black Geyser, and Cyberpunk 2077. Before that I was in Fallout 4. I mean, I have 30 games just through GoG, including this one. Then there's Steam, and Origin, where I also have games, and my XBox... Suffice to say that I have plenty to do when it comes to gaming.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Based on what I have read about Bloodlines 2 I was just expecting it to be terrible.
And ... what have you read? smile

I don't think it matters anymore. Paradox will farm it out to new devs, and they will not make the game that hardsuit was going to make.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by robertthebard
[
Except that there was coop MP in BG 1 and 2, my GF at the time and I spent countless hours playing it over LAN.

(...)

The Bhaalspawn saga is done for. Why do I keep getting "not the Warden" vibes here? Because it's not the Bhaalspawn? I mean, the exact arguments you're trying to use here are the same arguments made to imply that Dragon Age 2 wasn't a Dragon Age game, as well as Dragon Age Inquisition. I was there for all of that. We even had "Mass Effect is Shepard's story" things for Andromeda... That series made a lot of changes between each iteration. It's nice that you've chosen to assign the intent of the developers, but can you provide any links to where they said they were replacing the original games, or is this another half-baked argument offered up because that's how you feel about it?

I feel I am not expressing myself clearly. I said BG3 has different focus than BG1&2, which it does, not that it has features that don't belong in BG game.

I also made clear that story continuation is less relevant, as the story was completed in Throne of Bhaal. "Not the Warden" is the complete opposite of what I said.

Dragon Age tell self contained stories, so also no need for direct continuation.

As to BG3 "replacing" originals I meant nothing by it really. Numbered entries generally aim to make a better game than the previous release. That's kinda the point, take a previous release and make it better or update it. If you make a sequel and it doesn't overshadow the original, than something went wrong, no?

And of your argument will be that Baldura Gate3 is too different to compete directly with the originals.... Than we are back to the argument that it is not really a sequel, is it.

veteran
veteran
I don't think it matters anymore.
I would still like to know ...

I mean from what i have heared (you know that type of rumors when people say i have friend, who have a friend, who knows a guy, who have a friend, wich heared that friend of his friend knows a guy who said that they are doing this) ...
It seemed like insteresting hybrid between Bloodlines and Vampyr ...

And quite honestly, i kinda liked Vampyr. laugh
Wich would be another recomendation to this topic from me ... that autosaving and "learn to live with your choices" is sometimes kinda anoying, especialy in situations where lack of intel forces you to pick between two options, where you dont really want to pick either, but mechanicaly its really enjoyable Vampire game with interesting story!´

Paradox will farm it out to new devs, and they will not make the game that hardsuit was going to make.
Should i take this as another rumor?
Since as far as i know rework was never confrimmed. smile

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 07/01/23 07:46 PM.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I don't think it matters anymore.
I would still like to know ...

I mean from what i have heared (you know that type of rumors when people say i have friend, who have a friend, who knows a guy, who have a friend, wich heared that friend of his friend knows a guy who said that they are doing this) ...
It seemed like insteresting hybrid between Bloodlines and Vampyr ...

And quite honestly, i kinda liked Vampyr. laugh
Wich would be another recomendation to this topic from me ... that autosaving and "learn to live with your choices" is sometimes kinda anoying, especialy in situations where lack of intel forces you to pick between two options, where you dont really want to pick either, but mechanicaly its really enjoyable Vampire game with interesting story!´

Paradox will farm it out to new devs, and they will not make the game that hardsuit was going to make.
Should i take this as another rumor?
Since as far as i know rework was never confrimmed. smile

Not a rumor. Just a guess.

My reason for thinking it would be terrible was all the chaos around the dev team (firing Brian Mitsoda, etcetera). No inside information or anything. Just that none of it inspired confidence.

Last edited by dwig; 07/01/23 08:09 PM.
veteran
veteran
Oh i see ...
I thought you heared something about content, or stuff ...

To me, worse find was when one of developers leaked on their Discord
that inevidable part of the story will be that your Thin Blood will be forced to commit Diablerie, in order to become full vampire ...
I mean ... its not so big shock, we all kinda expected it ... still there are other options in setting, so i hoped for some back doors. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 07/01/23 08:32 PM.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by robertthebard
[
Except that there was coop MP in BG 1 and 2, my GF at the time and I spent countless hours playing it over LAN.

(...)

I feel I am not expressing myself clearly. I said BG3 has different focus than BG1&2, which it does, not that it has features that don't belong in BG game.

I also made clear that story continuation is less relevant, as the story was completed in Throne of Bhaal. "Not the Warden" is the complete opposite of what I said.

Dragon Age tell self contained stories, so also no need for direct continuation.

As to BG3 "replacing" originals I meant nothing by it really. Numbered entries generally aim to make a better game than the previous release. That's kinda the point, take a previous release and make it better or update it. If you make a sequel and it doesn't overshadow the original, than something went wrong, no?

And of your argument will be that Baldura Gate3 is too different to compete directly with the originals.... Than we are back to the argument that it is not really a sequel, is it.

Sequels very rarely overshadow the originals though. Even with BG 1 and 2, there are factions that believe one or the other is the better game. That's fairly subjective because of why one is better than the other. Is it better because there were higher character levels, for example. I prefer 1 to 2, but I have an unhealthy amount of hours dedicated to both. However, my point was more that you can have a continuation of a series w/out having to directly tie to any one thing in the series. Dragon Age continued, and will continue, a central narrative. That's not strictly available here, since the initial story has been concluded, barring any retcons, which I hope doesn't happen. However, closer to my point, is the fact that the Bhaalspawn events weren't the only thing going on in the Forgotten Realms. We're being provided with persons and locations that do tie in to the first two games, the first one for sure, and so, I don't see using the name as just a marketing ploy. Sure, there's some marketing involved, but as I said earlier, WotC/Hasbro are way too hands on to just let Larian do whatever they want with the IP.

stranger
stranger
Baldur's Gate I & II
Divinity OS I & II
Pillars of Eternity I & II

Deadfire is my personal favorite.

T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Valis
Baldur's Gate I & II
Divinity OS I & II
Pillars of Eternity I & II

Deadfire is my personal favorite.
Thank you for bringing discussion back to topic. I prefer personally Solasta to any DIV game though.

Perhaps I am to old school in some regard, but I found none of these shooters interesting:

I do admit that I found HALO franchise of Microsoft as one of the best idea for shooters created. Well and no I am not interested in Battle Royal games.
Please do not read the spoiler about HALO story unless interested do not click for Goblins:

The Halo TV series and books might go much deeper. That said the HALO movie in a nutshell Humanity had war example other planet vs Earth... it comes to an abrupt halt when a foreign threat from outer space threatens humankind. Time to end human war and try to win battle against this huge threat.
This movie I like very much:
Halo 4 Forward unto the Dawn

Last edited by Terminator2020; 10/01/23 11:22 PM.
T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
What I find a bit time consuming here is the MMO:S that I am at least slightly interested in:

Baldurs Gate 3 is going to be released in August 2023 and perhaps it will keep one interested in it still early 2024 but even from early
2024 it is long wait for some of these MMO:S indeed.

Throne of Liberty aka Lineage 3 MMO. Unreal 5 engine and the only fantasy MMO game (that interest me) I expect full release in 2023. Unknown what will cost etc. slightly interested. but like calling it Lineage 3 instead. Release date: During 2023.
Voluntary PvP but my issues is with no classes and then PvE zerg farming bosses in outdoor dungeons and raids not balanced. Well and guess more or less buy to win elements could be included. Anyway beautiful game no doubt with Unreal 5 engine. In huge fights Lineage 3 reduce automatically graphics from what I have heard.

Ashes of Creation MMO with Unreal 5 graphics.
The ultimate PvP world. On downside not only voluntary PvP. Huge PvP battles possible example 500 vs 500 players and an Dragon in that area that can affect outcome with Unreal 5 engine and plans to not reduce graphics interesting to see how they manage to do this? We have had really big fights yes, but yet not shown 500 vs 500 players.
Hardcore old school type of MMO... Epic Raids and Dungeons instances. Slower levelup and progress.
Well not pay to win and subfee.
Release date: My guess year 2024 or 2025. During 2023 I do expect ALPHA 2 to come out and then lots of more information.

Dungeons Dragons MMO (Neverwinter ONLINE exist, but it is outdated) with Unreal 5 graphics. Developed in USA.
Release date?: Unknown Guess 2025-2028. Even the name is unknown for this MMO.

Riot (company developer of League of Legends and n other successful games) upcoming MMO. Unreal 5 graphics.
PvP will certainly be included more or less. Very unknown project, but huge budget. Will have Raids and Dungeons.
Release date?: Unknown Guess 2025-2028. Even the name is unknown for this MMO.

Unreal 5 only better graphics? No it runs better system performance. Despite excellent graphics better system performance for big /huge fights. It runs much better then Ray Tracing yet manage to look as good. It runs better then Unreal 4 engine huge fights. One of the effects that Unreal 5 manage with other technology do what ray tracing can do and with much less system requirements.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 12/01/23 11:48 PM.
T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Well and here is why Lost Ark MMO is not for me. I have played Neverwinter MMO a long time ago when released for over a year, but there has been no issue of bots in that game. I am not interested in Lost Ark MMO that has bots accounts that cheat and get gold and then ruin economy so some items become impossible to get for free players and then the forced daylies:

Last edited by Terminator2020; 15/01/23 09:24 AM.
T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Well those oldes shooters you mentioned can be fun to play.

They the leftist have ruined Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II | Warzone™ 2.0 General to total SHIT. It has no country flags example American flag. I will not buy ruined games by the left.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 03/02/23 11:56 PM.
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
It's getting slagged by a toxic community, but I am having a lot of fun with Darktide

T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Originally Posted by pachanj
It's getting slagged by a toxic community, but I am having a lot of fun with Darktide
Well a quick reserach told me it can be very good game but I would personally wait for more patches and bugfixes and performance optimization. I have nothing against that game... and I myself bought BG3 at very early stage in 2020.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 04/02/23 12:09 AM.
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
yeah, that's more than normal to wait for patches to a game like that. i'm one of the people who doesn't mind being there to feed data in to the rebalancing and fixes since the gameplay itself is so fun. i've got hundreds of hours in it already.

Last edited by pachanj; 04/02/23 12:32 AM.
K
Banned
Banned
K
Age of Empires 2 DE??? I bought it on sale for about 1/4 of what I’d usually spend on a night out just guzzling toxic substances… For a game that reuses the same maps/buildings over and over, it somehow has more diversity and imagination in every level than BG3 does in all its fights put together.

It’s really a masterpiece of imaginative design – limited resources, but they knock it out of the park with every level. Every one of the locations is ‘epic’, yet they just lean on some simple scripting and the same assets…

It just shows you. You can throw 300 people at a turd, but that particular organic matter remains the same…

Anyway, BG3 will be one of the better ‘yokes’ that falls out of the toilet of 2023 ‘entertainment’, in all its – lets be frank – mollycoddled, vacuous plop-plop-flushery.

AI is looking good though. Maybe it will advance to the point where talented writers can once again get their ‘controversial’ material out there without the zombie-gate-keepers saying ‘no’, and once again we’ll have proper stories…

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
I haven't seen "mollycoddled" used properly in a long time. A long time.

/Obiwan . GIF

K
Banned
Banned
K
Originally Posted by pachanj
I haven't seen "mollycoddled" used properly in a long time. A long time.

That spidery, velvety, not-so-nicey…mollycoddled grip: it’s the equivalent of the innocuous yet still quietly unsettling anamorphic profile-pic on twitter, a cartoon ‘creature’, queasily grinning, that looks so generic it could be the result of a mindless AI ‘model’ – because a smile is healthy, right?

Not when it’s as forced as a Jack Torrance hammer through the old doorr-e-oo.

Do you know what I’m talking about here?

Well if you don’t – I’m not calling out the BG3 reddit fanbase above: that’s not what I’m doing. Either way, it’s called sarcasm/joking – I think that’s still a thing in 2023, though some peeps are telling me that died off in 2021 and I could be castrated, disembowelled and pissed on for being ‘smart’.

Anyways, I’ve seen considerable variety in the BG3 reddit artwork, so I wasn’t mocking them, whatever you might like to fabricate. Sometimes they even showcase Astarion. I’m very impressed by the versatility of their imagination.

What I’m really calling out above is a make-belief alternate universe, where there’s a platform that apes twitter, yet all of the ‘inhabitants’ have bizarre anime profile pics (always grinning) and are, more less, evil incarnate when you actually try and converse with them..

I know, I know – doesn’t exist in reality. But that’s why I’m trying to pitch it to all of you as a potential DnD ‘epic’ story? Evil f*cking ‘harmless’ anime-type creatures who ‘welcome’ you in to their seemingly nice community – then cut off your knob.

Last edited by konmehn; 04/02/23 01:52 AM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Are you okay?

Page 4 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 29 30

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard