Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 31 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 30 31
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
I’m finding it harder to keep my mouth shut on this thread now I’ve broken my silence once, and am going to give in to temptation and make one more post before zipping it again.

I am in favour of there being an easy way to skip extended explicit sex scenes, and would certainly make use of such a function myself if such scenes are as wonkily animated and jarringly out of character for my custom MCs as I fear they will be (but will be delighted, though astonished, if Larian find a way to implement such scenes in a way that I would find convincing and engaging).

But the ability to censor every instance of nudity, vulgarity and swearing in the game seems a much bigger ask, just because those are a significant part of the way Larian seem to be envisaging the world the game is set in. Of course they didn’t need to go in this direction, and a cleaner, more family-friendly interpretation of the Sword Coast would no doubt have better suited many gamers, but I for one am glad of the artistic direction they have taken and would be disappointed to see them compromise on it, even if I wish they’d implement it slightly more subtly sometimes.

I wouldn’t tend to roleplay a crude, sweary character myself, but I find it realistic and interesting that even the purest paladin I might want to play would need to navigate a world in which they have to interact with such characters. In fact, I think one of the biggest triumphs of Early Access is the portrayal of the goblins, who are so irredeemably rude, vulgar and awful but nevertheless clearly people. I don’t think the impact they have could have been achieved in a game that was worrying about its players being exposed to vulgar content. And while I don’t have any objection in principle to Larian offering a censorship option for such content, I hope that they don’t shy away from producing a game in which such an option would be difficult, expensive, intrusive and immersion-breaking.

I’m not happy that this would no doubt alienate some gamers, I wish everyone could appreciate the darker, dirtier, raunchier world that Larian seem to be aiming for and it will be sad if some people who would otherwise have enjoyed a BG game feel excluded by its aesthetic in this area. But given that I think the game would be far less to my taste if it were good, clean family fun, I reserve the right to be pleased that Larian’s artistic vision seems on the whole, though not universally, to be in line with my own preferences!

With respect to nakedness outside of sex scenes, I have no problem with this as long as it seems appropriate in context and is not blatantly salacious. And as long as the same approach is taken to all genders, rather than there being female but not male nudity. Done correctly, I would find seeing some nudity far more realistic and less startling than seeing everyone with naughty bits conveniently and somewhat implausibly covered up. I personally wouldn’t use an option to censor nudity, as opposed to extended sex scenes, were one offered.

Okay. I have a simple solution for most of the vulgarity AND some other more annoying dialogues at the same time. Rather than censor all vulgarity, give us the option to simply turn repeating background convos into background ambiance - like people talking but you just can't hear what they're saying as in a tavern in BG1 and 2 etc. Or simply no background convos at all. This would save me from most duergar vulgarity AND I wouldn't have to listen to Rolan complain about him caring about his party's lives and futures 100 times a playthrough.

I can handle the occasional lewd comment, but hearing them repeat the same vulgar lines over and over again while I'm exploring wears on me.

But I admit, censoring all vulgarity might be rough, depending on just how much more they plan to have.

Still, I wouldn't think the autoskip sex scenes function would be that hard to implement, and having the ability to set an option to blur the presently non-existent nudity unless it's a sex scenes doesn't seem that big a deal. I mean, unless they plan on REALLY suddenly including lots of nudity, it shouldn't be too big and ask.

Last edited by GM4Him; 12/01/23 03:25 AM.
veteran
veteran
We've already seen they might have some non-nude nude models. Unless that was the work of a modder. If they leave the sex scenes with the same kind of censor that is currently there, the [Under Construction] card, is that the kind of fade-to-black that you're talking about, because there's a dialogue going on during most of those scenes with choices being made with unclear impact on the rest of the story.

I personally kind of like the idea of the Underdark being more R-rated than the rest of the world. I like worlds that with regions that separate into different genres, dealing with different themes and tones, so that people can choose whether or not they want to add those to their game merely by choosing where to adventure. Censoring your game might be as simple as choosing to go the overland route to Moonrise.

You commented the tavern chatter in the first games, and all I can hear in my head now is, "My hotel is clean as a Elven arse!"

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz
We've already seen they might have some non-nude nude models. Unless that was the work of a modder. If they leave the sex scenes with the same kind of censor that is currently there, the [Under Construction] card, is that the kind of fade-to-black that you're talking about, because there's a dialogue going on during most of those scenes with choices being made with unclear impact on the rest of the story.

I personally kind of like the idea of the Underdark being more R-rated than the rest of the world. I like worlds that with regions that separate into different genres, dealing with different themes and tones, so that people can choose whether or not they want to add those to their game merely by choosing where to adventure. Censoring your game might be as simple as choosing to go the overland route to Moonrise.

You commented the tavern chatter in the first games, and all I can hear in my head now is, "My hotel is clean as a Elven arse!"

It has been a very long time since I triggered any of the romances, so it’s hard to say concerning the dialogues. I don’t recall any of them being particularly important during the actual sex scene except maybe Minthara who had some choices that seemed to matter. SH was the most recent which I finally tried out upon hearing it was safe. It was still not totally well done - kinda glitch, if I recall, but I liked the concept well enough.

Either way, the Under Construction thing works okay for those encounters where it matters.

I do agree that the vulgarity is true to duergar culture. There's no doubt about that. The more I thought about it, I honestly wouldn't have had as much of a problem with it if it wasn't repeated over and over again while I'm exploring. The occasional off-handed dirty comment in important dialogue is something I can put up with easier. Hearing them repeat them again and again is MUCH harder.

But that's why it hit me. You know, I hate the Rolan trio dialogues for the exact same reason. Just allow us to cut out the repeating background convos and that would do wonders for both vulgarity and just plain sanity.

"I care about our lives - OUR FUTURES!" shutters intensely.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him

Oh yeah, just reading that gave me a vicarious reaction. If they just double the loop time I bet it would be less annoying, or make it trigger when you're just there, ambient conversations shouldn't loop so often that they take over the room.
On the one hand it's does remind me of all the verbal barks that have been burned into my grey matter from the first games, on the other it also reminds me of those very loud and repeated lines from other rpgs that are just obtrusive signposts "thar be questin' here".

Get me out of this Hellhole
Away with you beggar
Don't touch me...I might catch something

and one that disturbs me to this day

So I kicked him in the head, until he was dead. hya ha ha

P
addict
addict
P

Oh yeah, just reading that gave me a vicarious reaction. If they just double the loop time I bet it would be less annoying, or make it trigger when you're just there, ambient conversations shouldn't loop so often that they take over the room.
On the one hand it's does remind me of all the verbal barks that have been burned into my grey matter from the first games, on the other it also reminds me of those very loud and repeated lines from other rpgs that are just obtrusive signposts "thar be questin' here".

Get me out of this Hellhole
Away with you beggar
Don't touch me...I might catch something

and one that disturbs me to this day

I just had snippets of ambient npc dialogue run through my head, and it was one part the doomsayer from VTM bloodlines, and one part Heimskr from Skyrim.

veteran
veteran
But that's why it hit me. You know, I hate the Rolan trio dialogues for the exact same reason. Just allow us to cut out the repeating background convos and that would do wonders for both vulgarity and just plain sanity.

I HATE those, no matter the content. No matter how good your writing is, to have it constantly loop is an insane design, that Larian keeps repeating (no pun intended) for three games in the row. I just recently had to stop myself from not killing the praying Fist at the burning Inn. You explore the are an she just constantly loops her line. Why, what for?

veteran
veteran
[quote=GM4Him]

I... I can't get it out now... I remember that one... And now... It's back!... Playing over and over again...

It's playing in sync with the Flaming Fist prayer... AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

GO FOR THE EYES BOO! GO FOR THE EYES! RRRRRAAAAAASK!

veteran
veteran
Heh heh, I think the thread has morphed into its final form. I like some ambient conversations, but they have to be generic not too specific, and definitely not repeated ad nauseum

S
old hand
old hand
S
Today's fight: three lines for 50 NPCs in the game, vs. one harrowing phrase that will never stop

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Does engaging in casual sex break the Paladin's vow?

veteran
veteran
I think that would only be a concern with Devotion paladins, and even then it depends on your interpretation of the idea of Honor. One could argue that if you're honest about your intentions, treat your casaual liasons well and don't just treat them as knotches in your belt, or objects there to provide you pleasure and satisfaction, then no, you're not breaking your vow.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Arkhan
great peril

Last edited by Sozz; 12/01/23 09:42 PM.
stranger
stranger
There are a ton of super legitimate criticisms of that scene honestly, https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=750763 comes to mind as a very well-articulated one. The scene itself is kind of a mess and is all over the place as far as consistency and atmosphere.

But your nonsensical, kink-shaming rant is not even close to constructive criticism. The issue here is not even that the content you are complaining about being "forced" to pay for is completely optional, ignorable, and even skippable, to me the greater problem is that you were ok with actively engaging in dialogue about committing genocide for no reason other than "some god wants it," siding with the objectively morally corrupt Drow/Goblins (who are roasting a dead dwarf on a spit and torturing a captive), and then literally murdering every single innocent refugee and druid in the Grove. But some nipples were where you drew the line?

You are very much you projecting your own issues onto everyone else, even going so far as to shame other people for things they might like, and honestly it's pretty telling of a larger social problem in general. I'd be willing to bet money that you are from the US, or a country heavily influenced by US culture, indicated by that fact that torture, violence and literal murder are more acceptable to you than seeing a boob. This scene is completely optional, and you had to engage in some truly reprehensible shit to even encounter it. If your argument to that is "well it's a game so doing bad things doesn't matter," then maybe you should reflect on that same mentality for adult content in said game as well. If you don't like it, don't interact with it.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by VulcanEmo
There are a ton of super legitimate criticisms of that scene honestly, https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=750763 comes to mind as a very well-articulated one. The scene itself is kind of a mess and is all over the place as far as consistency and atmosphere.

But your nonsensical, kink-shaming rant is not even close to constructive criticism. The issue here is not even that the content you are complaining about being "forced" to pay for is completely optional, ignorable, and even skippable, to me the greater problem is that you were ok with actively engaging in dialogue about committing genocide for no reason other than "some god wants it," siding with the objectively morally corrupt Drow/Goblins (who are roasting a dead dwarf on a spit and torturing a captive), and then literally murdering every single innocent refugee and druid in the Grove. But some nipples were where you drew the line?

You are very much you projecting your own issues onto everyone else, even going so far as to shame other people for things they might like, and honestly it's pretty telling of a larger social problem in general. I'd be willing to bet money that you are from the US, or a country heavily influenced by US culture, indicated by that fact that torture, violence and literal murder are more acceptable to you than seeing a boob. This scene is completely optional, and you had to engage in some truly reprehensible shit to even encounter it. If your argument to that is "well it's a game so doing bad things doesn't matter," then maybe you should reflect on that same mentality for adult content in said game as well. If you don't like it, don't interact with it.
Hi. I'm from the US, even worse, I actually live in the Bible Belt of the US. I worked professionally for years as a bouncer, in strip clubs. The chances are that I've turned down more pussy than you're ever going to get. So let's leave the "but the US" out of it. While my nearly 80 year old mother might be offended by this, nobody in my circle of friends would be, and most of them would consider what we've been presented with as tame.

veteran
veteran
Well, okay. So glad we're all getting along.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Arkhan
great peril

I will go in and face the peril.

No. No. It's much too perilous.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by robertthebard
I worked professionally for years as a bouncer, in strip clubs. The chances are that I've turned down more pussy than you're ever going to get. So let's leave the "but the US" out of it. While my nearly 80 year old mother might be offended by this, nobody in my circle of friends would be, and most of them would consider what we've been presented with as tame.

I wish we had a bouncer for this thread

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by robertthebard
Originally Posted by VulcanEmo

Hi. I'm from the US, even worse, I actually live in the Bible Belt of the US. I worked professionally for years as a bouncer, in strip clubs. The chances are that I've turned down more pussy than you're ever going to get. So let's leave the "but the US" out of it. While my nearly 80 year old mother might be offended by this, nobody in my circle of friends would be, and most of them would consider what we've been presented with as tame.

I literally have no idea what you're even trying to argue here. I'm also from the US, and if you'd read my comment, you'd see that I am very much for the inclusion of adult content in BG3 and gaming in general, so not sure why you're so defensive about the fact that we have a problem with sexual maturity in this country. I'm not anti-US but you're blind if you don't believe we promote violence more than we promote sexual awareness. But congrats for making this all about the invisible pussy you never got.

veteran
veteran
Maybe he agrees with you, but thinks you just went about it in a shitty way.

stranger
stranger
Could be, would probably be good to articulate that though. And honestly, I don't think it's too shitty to call OP out for this post where they say things like " I want a cheaper version of this game because of the optional/skippable sex scene" and "I feel sorry for people who are supportive of adult content in video games" after OP decided to massacre and entire town of innocent people just to see said scene. That is a bad take and it feels fair to say so. Also seems perfectly acceptable to call out that we seem to have no issues with violence but innumerable issues with nudity and sex ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: And just so we're clear, I don't have any issues with the violence or the sex. I love the game in its current state and can't wait to see what else is in full release. What I have issues with is OP calling out the dev team and artists for adult sexual content in an adult game, and the fact that OP was cool murdering dozens of people to see the (again skippable) sex/nudity but the boobs were too far for him. Seems off to me.

Last edited by VulcanEmo; 13/01/23 08:17 AM. Reason: clarification
Page 25 of 31 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard