Print Thread
#842019 22/01/23 04:41 AM
E
EMcX87 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
During a co-op save my friend (who is playing an Oath of the Ancients Paladin) broke his oath after killing a defenseless/knocked out Goblin. He restored his Oath successfully and all was fine.
Fast forward to today (and about 4+ hours more into the game after the previous Oath), his Oath seemed to randomly break again. We didn't have a save too close to this happening and we couldn't figure out WHY it broke, but he had the extra gold to pay. We did a long rest to get to camp, he paid the 2000 and chose to restore it. After paying, he did not get his Oath restored. We loaded our quick save (I quicksave entering camp) and again, he paid the gold but no oath was restored. We completed the long rest and wanted to try again, but the Oathbreaker Paladin was no longer in camp at all.

addict
addict
just random failed your oath?
did it go away as you were talking or after a battle?
i love the idea of just paying money to make the church ok with your crimes... how very Catholic of them wink

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
E
EMcX87 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Originally Posted by Ussnorway
just random failed your oath?
did it go away as you were talking or after a battle?
i love the idea of just paying money to make the church ok with your crimes... how very Catholic of them wink

The first time it was because he attacked a goblin who was considered defenseless and neutral.. Understandable.

The second time, we just couldn't figure out what it was that triggered it. His abilities were just all changed after a battle. I believe it was just after the battle with Minthara, but not sure WHY really. Everyone was hostile because we had Halsin atthis point, so there is no option to talk it out. We didnt save scum either, so at that point we were like 45 minutes in at that point. So we went to long rest at camp to pay it, he accepted the payment, didn't give the oath back lol

Last edited by EMcX87; 24/01/23 01:24 AM. Reason: Added quote reply
Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
I broke my oath defending the grove .
After killing Minthara.
I broke my oath defending my self wen i got attacked by the zentharim.
Hells i even broke my oath on the nautiloid ship by knock unconscious 1 imp and one devil. Cuz i wanted to get the loot i killed them but they are devil's come ooon.
I think dear devs time to turn this feature off.

Its unplayable i could not mannage 1 paladin play w/o breaking my oath.
It almost feels like after completing hou do you dream at night. And awaking on the ship and as soon as you stand up bug happening an we get"PALADIN YOU BROKE YOUR OATH'.

Feedback i like the idea but i think its not ready .

Last edited by ZOZO1006; 24/01/23 06:46 AM.
addict
addict
I have a bad feeling that the Oathbreaker will cause even bigger, not to say, more trouble in the future than all the occured permutational issues with Shadowheart's artifact. I thought Larian had learned...? It would probably be wiser to make the Oathbreaker a normal subclass, or at least limit the ways you can become one... so that passionate righteous Paladins don't have to face such frequent nasty surprises. I would already feel sorry for those in the advanced game. Especially if there will be a re-spec function for all other classes as well, then the current system (which actually reminds of catholic indulgences) makes less sense.

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 24/01/23 01:31 PM.
old hand
Online Content
old hand
There are two separate things here, though. Yes, the implementation of oathbreaking in this initial release is problematic, and hopefully will be improved as there have been a number of other threads discussing.

But has anyone else come across the specific bug mentioned by the OP, which seems to be that the cash to restore the oath has been handed over but the oath wasn’t restored? It’s not one I’ve seen mentioned elsewhere.

Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
I broke my oath by tuning off the wind mill smile.
And after that i could not redem my self.

old hand
Online Content
old hand
Originally Posted by ZOZO1006
I broke my oath by tuning off the wind mill smile.
And after that i could not redem my self.

Oh dear! Was that the same kind of problem as faced by the OP, in that you handed over money but your oath wasn’t restored?

Setting aside the bizarre fact that your oath was broken by turning off the windmill in the first place, which didn’t happen with my oath of devotion paladin. Oh, but now I think about it further, I wonder whether my oath was actually intact at that point as I broke it killing a couple of goblins near the entrance to the swamp and didn’t have the cash to redeem myself immediately. I can’t recall exactly what order I did things in in the village.

I’m now also wondering whether releasing the brake and sending poor Barcus flying breaks oaths. That at least makes sense!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
I’m now also wondering whether releasing the brake and sending poor Barcus flying breaks oaths. That at least makes sense!

Other than meta information, do we know in the game that this would be this effect? Not just an accident trying to save him?

E
EMcX87 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
So I booted up the quicksave we had just prior to the bug happening and was able to recreate it and record it on OBS. Not sure if links are allowed but I could upload to like google drive or something similar to share.

Open save as an oathbreaker. Talk to Oathbreaker Paladin in camp. Pay 2000. Still an Oathbreaker. Finish long rest. Come back to camp. Oathbreaker Paladin gone. Still Oathbreaker and now no way to even fix it at all.

Like I said, this would be his 2nd time breaking his oath in this save, we're just not sure when it triggered, he just happened to notice his skills were different. I thought it was after the Minthara fight, but the save starts in the Underdark so I guess I recalled incorrectly lol.

Last edited by EMcX87; 26/01/23 12:32 AM. Reason: Adding more info
old hand
Online Content
old hand
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen

Other than meta information, do we know in the game that this would be this effect? Not just an accident trying to save him?

Good point. In fact, the only time I ever did it was very early when I clicked the wrong lever, not realising there were two. I felt awful. I guess it’s not clear just from the text “release brake” what is going to happen.

Moderated by  Nicou 

Link Copied to Clipboard