Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
The reason I want stat rolling is because I also want to use feats.
Good point. I also want to pick feats but feel forced to max main stat asap on every PC, because of how important it is. I hope next edition will separate ASI's and feats again.

Another good point is making sub-optimal builds more on-par. Like an Elven Fighter can roll 18 Strength rather than start with 14-15 which heavily railroads all elves into finesse builds.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
The reason I want stat rolling is because I also want to use feats.
Good point. I also want to pick feats but feel forced to max main stat asap on every PC, because of how important it is. I hope next edition will separate ASI's and feats again.

Another good point is making sub-optimal builds more on-par. Like an Elven Fighter can roll 18 Strength rather than start with 14-15 which heavily railroads all elves into finesse builds.

Yes! Rolling also makes MAD classes like monk and non-hexblade blade pact warlock reasonable to play. Monk for instance requires four ASI to get dexterity and wisdom to 20 if you don't roll. You could decide not to use ASI for stats, but that is usually not optimal.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
NGL, I've spent more hours clicking REROLL in BG/BG2 than I have playing BG3, and that might not change even after I've played through the new one.

The old BG character creation process is so satisfying - the only functionality it lacked was the ability to jump back and forth between creation tabs.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by pachanj
NGL, I've spent more hours clicking REROLL in BG/BG2 than I have playing BG3, and that might not change even after I've played through the new one.

The old BG character creation process is so satisfying - the only functionality it lacked was the ability to jump back and forth between creation tabs.

Hey, if some shallow rolling interaction is all it takes to part people from their money I say toss it in there for single player! There is a whole generation of los..I mean 'customers' that will sit there roiling ability scores and pay Larian $60 to do it. Then 20 years later they will talk about how BG3 let them roll ability scores into the wee hours and it was the best part of the game and how they are nostalgic for that sweet simple time before they had an AI that played games for them.

"There's a sucker born every minute"

-P.T. Barnum.

Blackheifer
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Hey, if some shallow rolling interaction is all it takes to part people from their money I say toss it in there for single player! There is a whole generation of los..I mean 'customers' that will sit there roiling ability scores and pay Larian $60 to do it. Then 20 years later they will talk about how BG3 let them roll ability scores into the wee hours and it was the best part of the game and how they are nostalgic for that sweet simple time before they had an AI that played games for them.

-P.T. Barnum.

Fun act: I would prefer it the other way around stat rolling and then never again dice rolling especially in dialogues, I would be happy to just be able to choose my answers. Hopefully there will be a kind of mod to choose answers (including fails or no fails) only without dice rolling. It would speed up dialogues so much. This endless dice rolling is exciting even for random consequences, but it is also very annoying and inhibits the flow of the game to me...

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 27/01/23 08:44 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

-P.T. Barnum.

Really?! Spending ages rethrowing virtual dice seems a pretty harmless way to get your jollies to me, and not at all deserving of repeated condescension and scorn.

I get that you see nostalgia for elements of the old BG games as symptomatic of a wider negative tendency that over-exaggerates their virtues for the purposes of criticising BG3, and that resists innovation in the name of fidelity to the original franchise. And I also agree that tendency exists, and can be a bit of a downer sometimes on these forums.

But not every instance of fondness for some aspect of the old games is tied to that broader attitude, and implying folk who have some innocent affection for the BG1/2 stat dice-rolling mechanic are losers doesn’t help make the atmosphere any more positive.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen

-P.T. Barnum.

Really?! Spending ages rethrowing virtual dice seems a pretty harmless way to get your jollies to me, and not at all deserving of repeated condescension and scorn.

I get that you see nostalgia for elements of the old BG games as symptomatic of a wider negative tendency that over-exaggerates their virtues for the purposes of criticising BG3, and that resists innovation in the name of fidelity to the original franchise. And I also agree that tendency exists, and can be a bit of a downer sometimes on these forums.

But not every instance of fondness for some aspect of the old games is tied to that broader attitude, and implying folk who have some innocent affection for the BG1/2 stat dice-rolling mechanic are losers doesn’t help make the atmosphere any more positive.

If English isn't your first language that was written tongue in cheek. I.e that means it was meant to be something of a joke. However, you are welcome to get offended anyway, but don't expect me to do anything about it. That's all you bro.

Blackheifer
I rather enjoy the dice rolling in character creation, but then I also don't overdo it. What I actually greatly disliked in BG1 was the damn skill books dropping all over the place and magic items boosting your stats to 18, etc. Just like the ogre item...it's hard to keep myself from using it, and hard to not consider it when creating a character with point buy. I mean, why put points into something if you know you're going to be able too boost it 10 minutes from now?

I'm just starting to roll custom characters for Solasta, and I find the rolling very enjoyable. But again, I only rolled for about 2-3 minutes until I got one 18 and the rest were 12-16. That's WAY good enough as far as I'm concerned.

The real fun of rolling would be if you roll a character with something like 18, 18, 18, 9, 8, 6. Then you get to make the decision if you want to have a super physical fighter that's dumb as a stump, etc. Because those characters are FUN TO PLAY!

If players would actually put some role playing back into RPGs they might realize this.

W
veteran
veteran
W

-P.T. Barnum.

If English isn't your first language that was written tongue in cheek. I.e that means it was meant to be something of a joke. However, you are welcome to get offended anyway, but don't expect me to do anything about it. That's all you bro.

Calling people losers and suckers and then saying it was a joke and on them for taking offensive is so cowardly and disingenuous. Stand by your words or keep them to yourself. Better yet, if you’re committed to being immature, just keep them to yourself.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by iBowfish
and magic items boosting your stats to 18, etc. Just like the ogre item...it's hard to keep myself from using it, and hard to not consider it when creating a character with point buy. I mean, why put points into something if you know you're going to be able too boost it 10 minutes from now?
I don't think it's good item design when they override your ability scores and make them irrelevant. Sure, you can argue that you still have to make the choice to wear such an item and not something else, but I still think your ability scores should always matter. Only min-maxing comes out of items completely overriding ability scores, knowing you can always buff an 8 to 18. Headband of Intellect would be much better granting +2 to Int and would also benefit Wizards as such.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
And just for my curiosity ...
How would you people feel about infinite point buy ... or just seting your scores however you like with no restrictions at all (except prehaps min is 3 and max is 18 ... or 20)?

I mean there will certainly be mod for that if Larian refuse to include it ...
But i just dont see why would they ... after all its basically the same as rerolling over and over (and there is no way they can restrict us from doing that laugh ) ... it only saves time ...

I'm tempted to like it. I want a wood elf (actually wild elf) Barbarian, mainly because of the looks, and I'm so jealous that a human or half elf can start with 16 str (and 16 con) and take GWM without headaches or make it an 18 at lvl 4, and I cannot. grin

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke

I mean when something tilts into absurdity it seems kind of obvious it was meant as a joke. I literally talk about AI that plays all your games for you.

Which - true story - I actually suggested that to Blizzard back in 2008 or so, before even warlords of draemamine (joke) or even Diablo Immortal - I was like "Just have them pay $15 a month to get updates on their phone telling them they are winners and showing them all the cool gear they won - It's a total moneymaker!"

I mean once they were willing to buy pointless horse armor I knew what we were dealing with here.

I got a lot of heat for saying it at the time, but I mean look what has happened since!

I am firmly on Team - "people should just give their money to Larian"

Now granted was there some truth sprinkled in amongst the preceding tongue-in-cheek writing? Sure.

Look Warlocke, whatever you do in your spare time is up to you. I don't REALLY think you are a loser for spending that time re-rolling characters that you will never play for more than 10 minutes. Now, as for some of the other stuff you get up to....(KIDDING)

Anyway, I will try to be better about labeling.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 27/01/23 03:01 PM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
and magic items boosting your stats to 18, etc. Just like the ogre item...it's hard to keep myself from using it, and hard to not consider it when creating a character with point buy. I mean, why put points into something if you know you're going to be able too boost it 10 minutes from now?
I don't think it's good item design when they override your ability scores and make them irrelevant. Sure, you can argue that you still have to make the choice to wear such an item and not something else, but I still think your ability scores should always matter. Only min-maxing comes out of items completely overriding ability scores, knowing you can always buff an 8 to 18. Headband of Intellect would be much better granting +2 to Int and would also benefit Wizards as such.

I've never really used this item for long since I don't tend to kill the ogres, but the one defence that might apply here is that with the item, you can't actually increase your intelligence beyond that, and it stops being useful once you go over 18. So you'll never get to hit a +5 ability modifier. Is that valid? Does it make sense?

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost

I've never really used this item for long since I don't tend to kill the ogres, but the one defence that might apply here is that with the item, you can't actually increase your intelligence beyond that, and it stops being useful once you go over 18. So you'll never get to hit a +5 ability modifier. Is that valid? Does it make sense?

Sure, that makes total sense from what I think of as a current gamer perspective. But I'm also from old school AD&D times where, as I remember it at least, ability scores for PCs were 3-18. Having any 18 ability score was amazing beyond belief. Having an 18 INT meant you were literally among the most intelligent people on the entire planet. You would never meet someone smarter than you, ever. The only creatures that were more intelligent were basically gods in their own right.
So even the idea of increasing an ability beyond what was "humanly" possible was a huge stretch of the imagination, or one that would come at a dire cost, like permanently reducing STR or CON or DEX by numerous points.
"Expecting" from the get go to increase one or more ability scores to god-like levels seems ridiculous to me. But like I said, I don't have a current gamer perspective.

My ideal situation for an item like this is that once acquired, you find an inscription or an NPC has knowledge that if you decide to put this on...not only will you become vastly intelligent, but you will also feel the physical effects and become as weak as a child and as sickly as a leper, even for weeks after taking the item off.
Rather than, how do I best utilize all of the god-like ability hacks to maximize my party's stats? Boring....

This may have strayed a bit off-topic, but to bring it full circle, rolling ability scores does in fact make the game more fun and immersive in my opinion. Being stuck with a stupid fighter that fails all of his INT saving throws but can just crush any non-magic foes is flavorful. I personally don't see how it's fun to play a character that's smarter, wiser, stronger, faster, etc. than any person you've ever met in your life. It's the entitlement era for sure.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Originally Posted by pachanj

-P.T. Barnum.
TF is actually wrong with people like you?

funnily enough, your posts have been reported so much I can't report them anymore because "the mods are already notified".

at least I know I'm not the only one put off by you.

Last edited by pachanj; 27/01/23 07:23 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
…

Ooh, burn! Yes English is indeed my first language. And I got that you thought you were being funny, but … eek.

Anyway, having totally failed in another attempt to appeal for mutual respect in this thread I am now going to bow out of it completely. I’m clearly not helping.

I just feel bad for poor @Accessdenied, who started this thread in all innocence with a perfectly reasonable question only to see it turn into a totally unnecessary bun fight. Sorry, @Accessdenied!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
It seems counter-intuitive to me that a "Headband of Intellect" will never be useful for an Intelligence class.

It's best for a min-maxed hybrid spellcaster like an Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight who can dump Int to 8, but will potentially greatly benefit from 17-18 Int. Encouraging min-maxing and dump statting doesn't seem like a good way to design items.

veteran
veteran
…

Ooh, burn! Yes English is indeed my first language. And I got that you thought you were being funny, but … eek.

Anyway, having totally failed in another attempt to appeal for mutual respect in this thread I am now going to bow out of it completely. I’m clearly not helping.

I just feel bad for poor @Accessdenied, who started this thread in all innocence with a perfectly reasonable question only to see it turn into a totally unnecessary bun fight. Sorry, @Accessdenied!

Humor is subjective. But if you knew I was kidding...and you took it seriously...isn't that on you? You could have responded with a dry "Haha, go to hell" - I would have been cool with that.

As to your other point, Larian has already decided what they are going to do. Mods have already decided to do what they want to do. Everybody will get what they want. The discussion is pointless.

Blackheifer
W
veteran
veteran
W
The problem with your “jokes” is that your only punch lines are “you’re dumb” and “I’m better than you.” Nobody wants to hear that. You aren’t funny. Learn to read a room.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Just to clarify... point buy and rolling for stats are going to both be available according to this thread? And if one wasn't, it seems like an easy fix. Cool. Not sure how this thread ended up where it is. Attributes are neat. Who wants to talk about attributes? I find that I default into min-maxing my character more often with point buy.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard