Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
The problem with your “jokes” is that your only punch lines are “you’re dumb” and “I’m better than you.” Nobody wants to hear that. You aren’t funny. Learn to read a room.

You think I am better than you? Aww, that's sweet.

[video:youtube]
[/video]

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I've never really used this item for long since I don't tend to kill the ogres, but the one defence that might apply here is that with the item, you can't actually increase your intelligence beyond that, and it stops being useful once you go over 18. So you'll never get to hit a +5 ability modifier. Is that valid? Does it make sense?
It seems counter-intuitive to me that a "Headband of Intellect" will never be useful for an Intelligence class.

It's best for a min-maxed hybrid spellcaster like an Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight who can dump Int to 8, but will potentially greatly benefit from 17-18 Int. Encouraging min-maxing and dump statting doesn't seem like a good way to design items.

Yeah, that makes sense. I figure it could be useful for certain wizards who for whatever reason haven't hit 18 by the time they reach it. It's also good for when players want to play characters who it doesn't make sense for them to have really high ability scores but still want to see high intelligence dialogue options. But this is really just me musing.

D
addict
addict
D
I've never really used this item for long since I don't tend to kill the ogres, but the one defence that might apply here is that with the item, you can't actually increase your intelligence beyond that, and it stops being useful once you go over 18. So you'll never get to hit a +5 ability modifier. Is that valid? Does it make sense?
It seems counter-intuitive to me that a "Headband of Intellect" will never be useful for an Intelligence class.

It's best for a min-maxed hybrid spellcaster like an Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight who can dump Int to 8, but will potentially greatly benefit from 17-18 Int. Encouraging min-maxing and dump statting doesn't seem like a good way to design items.

Yeah, that makes sense. I figure it could be useful for certain wizards who for whatever reason haven't hit 18 by the time they reach it. It's also good for when players want to play characters who it doesn't make sense for them to have really high ability scores but still want to see high intelligence dialogue options. But this is really just me musing.

For perspective, the headband of intellect is an "uncommon" magic item in the Dungeon Masters Handbook, which means that it is considered appropriate loot for lvl 1-4. A committed wizard will want a 20, so the headband isn't particularly useful beyond the early levels. I use it purely to boost INT skills in BG3, which is a fairly niche application. It can make eldritch knight or arcane trickster slightly more effective.

One big Caveat... in 5e the headband requires atunement to use, and you only get three of those. So once you get to higher levels almost everybody is going to want something better. The headband is a bit better in BG3, since the only opportunity cost is that you cannot put something else in the head slot.

It is the warped headband, maybe it should give a minus to constitution because using it gives you a headache. You'd get a boost to intelligence based spellcasting at the cost of reduced concentration on those spells.

On the other hand, I usually dump Con, so just putting it on should cause my chars head to swell up and explode! Didn't see that coming did you, Tadpole!

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Umbra
It is the warped headband, maybe it should give a minus to constitution because using it gives you a headache. You'd get a boost to intelligence based spellcasting at the cost of reduced concentration on those spells.

On the other hand, I usually dump Con, so just putting it on should cause my chars head to swell up and explode! Didn't see that coming did you, Tadpole!
Maybe it's not giving a char the headache because the tadpole has it for us 😵‍💫

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Umbra

Dump Con?! You are braver than I, crazier than I, or both. 😂

I can’t ever have anything less than 12 Con, and that’s a bare minimum. It’s just like a compulsive tick at this point.

T
Banned
Banned
T
The biggest reason I do not play really Alpha (have played before) not even interested to try level 5 (besides other games and limited free time) is that while I can now create a Paladin I know that I will not use the buypoint system when released. I am power gamer and proud of it not shamed at all. That does not mean I must do the ultimate build or min max perfect but enough so  hardest challenge levels are doable with exception not interested in any Iron man mode. Iron man means that you have only saves slot and if you die it save you are dead game over at least if all characters if any survive I guess rise dead might be possible.

As comparison I play Solasta on Cataclysm hardest challenge level and have rolled stats to Kingdom Come.

Well and I only laugh at notion to roll once attributes and keep the rolls unless you are happy with the first roll.

Now discussing what stats to dump even if rolled stats realistically there are some stats to dump. I would say classically INT is biggest dumb stat unless you are say Wizard when it is one of the most  important stats.
In DND 5.0 (not so earlier Dungeons Dragons rules example DND 3.5 and I guess Pathfinder) the INT stats does not affect how many skill points you get.

Charisma is a dump stat unless you need it example Sorcerer or Paladin. As for social interaction it is good if a party has at least one character with high charisma, but that does not need mean every character needs high charisma.

Wisdom is seldom needed high unless Cleric, but I would not recommend put a negative value on Wisdom modifier example less then 10 because you will suck on some saving rolls. Well exception perhaps if buypoint build then I would understand Wisdom 8.
Con as dump stat? No I think that is not smart at all. You could argue that with buypoint system you do not need high con but decent at least is good idea. If your roll and consider CON as dump stat that is really one of the worst tactics.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/01/23 06:18 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
The biggest reason I do not play really Alpha (have played before) not even interested to try level 5 (besides other games and limited free time) is that while I can now create a Paladin I know that I will not use the buypoint system when released. I am power gamer and proud of it not shamed at all. That does not mean I must do the ultimate build or min max perfect but enough so  hardest challenge levels are doable with exception not interested in any Iron man mode. Iron man means that you have only saves slot and if you die it save you are dead game over at least if all characters if any survive I guess rise dead might be possible.

As comparison I play Solasta on Cataclysm hardest challenge level and have rolled stats to Kingdom Come.

Well and I only laugh at notion to roll once attributes and keep the rolls unless you are happy with the first roll.

Now discussing what stats to dump even if rolled stats realistically there are some stats to dump. I would say classically INT is biggest dumb stat unless you are say Wizard when it is one of the most  important stats.
In DND 5.0 (not so earlier Dungeons Dragons rules example DND 3.5 and I guess Pathfinder) the INT stats does not affect how many skill points you get.

Charisma is a dump stat unless you need it example Sorcerer or Paladin. As for social interaction it is good if a party has at least one character with high charisma, but that does not need mean every character needs high charisma.

Wisdom is seldom needed high unless Cleric, but I would not recommend put a negative value on Wisdom modifier example less then 10 because you will suck on some saving rolls. Well exception perhaps if buypoint build then I would understand Wisdom 8.
Con as dump stat? No I think that is not smart at all. You could argue that with buypoint system you do not need high con but decent at least is good idea. If your roll and consider CON as dump stat that is really one of the worst tactics.

Ha! Brennan Lee Mulligan said it best - "All Adventures are Hot, Strong, and Dumb and that explains a lot of how players behave"

[/video]

Blackheifer
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

Ha! Brennan Lee Mulligan said it best - "All Adventures are Hot, Strong, and Dumb and that explains a lot of how players behave"

[/video]
Hahaa literally partly about me. If you want to know about my stats STR, CHA and INT in real life read spoiler my honest opinion:

STR currently mine would rank it 16.
However at best when was most fit and more young STR 18 includes 120KG that is like 264.555 pound lift several times on bench press weight. Well and more then 60 pushups in one minute could do and have been strong since teenager already.

CHA this is biggest hardest for me to rank... but the only time I have felt like superstar on Tinder was when I was in Asia this was fairly recently though in year 2020. I would rank my CHA to roughly 14... CHA is not only looks and also how people like you etc.

INT: I would rank my INT to 15 and have never been higher not in younger years or later years.
I am an engineer and I have won even a very small local chess tournament only once and that was on a summer camp. I would not say I am super smart or anything like that but not saying I am dumb. My studies include deep mathematics, physics and IT etc. and if you are dumb you will not graduate as an engineer in my field.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 28/01/23 10:13 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
There one big issue. The plot is strongly influenced by illithids whose attacks target INT saves, also the arcana skill checks will be pretty common.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by arion
There one big issue. The plot is strongly influenced by illithids whose attacks target INT saves, also the arcana skill checks will be pretty common.

Maybe the intellect circlet will be OP after all.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dwig
For perspective, the headband of intellect is an "uncommon" magic item in the Dungeon Masters Handbook, which means that it is considered appropriate loot for lvl 1-4. A committed wizard will want a 20, so the headband isn't particularly useful beyond the early levels. I use it purely to boost INT skills in BG3, which is a fairly niche application. It can make eldritch knight or arcane trickster slightly more effective.

One big Caveat... in 5e the headband requires atunement to use, and you only get three of those. So once you get to higher levels almost everybody is going to want something better. The headband is a bit better in BG3, since the only opportunity cost is that you cannot put something else in the head slot.
In PnP you would never build a character concept and min-max 8 Int around a particular item because there are no guarantees you will find such an item. Or be able to keep it if you do.

In a video game you can just go get it, and it's unlikely you can ever lose it. It changes the game completely and suddenly the "8 Int build" is great because you get to put so many ability points elsewhere. Stupid, but powerful.

veteran
veteran
In PnP you would never build a character concept and min-max 8 Int around a particular item because there are no guarantees you will find such an item. Or be able to keep it if you do.

In a video game you can just go get it, and it's unlikely you can ever lose it. It changes the game completely and suddenly the "8 Int build" is great because you get to put so many ability points elsewhere. Stupid, but powerful.
Imo this is one place where replayability should shine in BG3. Playing again with foreknowledge of the game, allowing you to create cool builds designed around items/quests/powers you'll get.

My first playthrough, I make a...Paladin (or whatever), optimizing the Paladin at character creation, not assuming I'll find any specific item.
My second playthrough, I know that the Headband of Intellect exists, so I make a Rogue (Arcane Trickster) or Fighter (Eldritch Knight) and dump INT, allowing me to raise other ability scores that would never otherwise do.

It's better than some other methods (e.g., killing off all but 3 companions) because it improves replayability without harming the first playthrough experience. Players aren't required to do multiple playthroughs to get the full experience. Like sure, if you made an Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight with 14 Int your 1st playthrough, you'll be a bit sad when you find the Headband of Intellect. But that's fairly insignificant. It's more similar to knowing where an ambush will take place in your 2nd playthrough, allowing you to ambush the ambushers.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3

Imo this is one place where replayability should shine in BG3. Playing again with foreknowledge of the game, allowing you to create cool builds designed around items/quests/powers you'll get.

My first playthrough, I make a...Paladin (or whatever), optimizing the Paladin at character creation, not assuming I'll find any specific item.
My second playthrough, I know that the Headband of Intellect exists, so I make a Rogue (Arcane Trickster) or Fighter (Eldritch Knight) and dump INT, allowing me to raise other ability scores that would never otherwise do.

It's better than some other methods (e.g., killing off all but 3 companions) because it improves replayability without harming the first playthrough experience. Players aren't required to do multiple playthroughs to get the full experience. Like sure, if you made an Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight with 14 Int your 1st playthrough, you'll be a bit sad when you find the Headband of Intellect. But that's fairly insignificant. It's more similar to knowing where an ambush will take place in your 2nd playthrough, allowing you to ambush the ambushers.

I see the point, but just don't personally like the idea of doing that. Maybe because we played through EA so many times, to try to bring back some of the early excitement, we started really trying to NOT ambush the ambushers, even though we as players knew they were there, our characters just walk right on it...
Also tried actual role playing even more than normal. Talking to each other in character (sort of) doing things that are certainly not in our best interest, but character wise more accurate. - Stopped giving poor little Astarion a pass after he tries his shenanigans in camp, even though we needed a rogue in the party. Stole all his clothes and sent him packing. - Stopped putting up with Froggy barking orders and insults after saving her. Dead Ribbit.
But I digress ;-)
It's tough to not use player knowledge to make the game easier, but a whole helluva lot more rewarding, for me at least.

veteran
veteran
That's precisely the problem imo.

Player 1 plays a Githyanki Eldritch Knight and puts points into 16 Strength and Intelligence, taking advantage of the matching racial stat bonuses.

Player 2 plays a Dwarf Eldritch Knight, dumps Intelligence to 8, has 17 Str and 17 Con, and gets to sprinkle the remaining points from the Int dump into wherever. Then, with Headband of Int, also surpasses the Gith in Intelligence and spellcasting.

Or they both end up wearing a Headband of Intellect and it's a tie in spite of the Gith having a natural 16 Int. Except the Dwarf has much higher stats elsewhere.

It's like you're actually being punished by making a "good" build and not building around one particular magic item. The only somewhat redeeming factor could be that there will be much better helmets or headbands, and NO Super Headband of 20 Intelligence. Still, if I would make a more offensive EK spellcaster, I would still prefer a Headband that would +2 the Gith's Int so it would matter that I made them smart to begin with.

W
veteran
veteran
W

Player 1 plays a Githyanki Eldritch Knight and puts points into 16 Strength and Intelligence, taking advantage of the matching racial stat bonuses.

Player 2 plays a Dwarf Eldritch Knight, dumps Intelligence to 8, has 17 Str and 17 Con, and gets to sprinkle the remaining points from the Int dump into wherever. Then, with Headband of Int, also surpasses the Gith in Intelligence and spellcasting.

Or they both end up wearing a Headband of Intellect and it's a tie in spite of the Gith having a natural 16 Int. Except the Dwarf has much higher stats elsewhere.

It's like you're actually being punished by making a "good" build and not building around one particular magic item. The only somewhat redeeming factor could be that there will be much better helmets or headbands, and NO Super Headband of 20 Intelligence. Still, if I would make a more offensive EK spellcaster, I would still prefer a Headband that would +2 the Gith's Int so it would matter that I made them smart to begin with.

A +2 Int headband wouldn’t really account for the amount ogre boss being as articulate as he is, though.

Also, if you are playing an EK as a spellcaster instead of a Fighter with a bit of magical utility and protection then you are really missing the point of the class. 😂

veteran
veteran
The headband is great early on, but there are too many more interesting options for it to be a long term slot. I did play a low INT wizard once to abuse it (before it was nerfed) and it was fun, but tying up a head slot isn't worth it to me.

Between class abilities and how malleable stats are in 5e, stat items are different from BG 1-2, you weren't playing correctly if you didn't build characters around the loot you got.

veteran
veteran

But player 2 would never make such a build on their 1st run (unless they look up game details or are otherwise informed). This scenario is only relevant in 2nd or later playthroughs, where both players are aware of the Headband's existence. Given that, Player 1 is actually *not* making a good build anymore...unless they are waiting for headgear that is better than the Headband.

Plus, part of the fun of D&D for me is crafting different builds, and foreknowledge of items in BG3 allows for a larger parameter space of feasible/powerful builds. I'm not seeing the problem if you can craft superior builds on subsequent playthroughs by using the knowledge you got from previous playthroughs - that's part of the charm of replaying games.

veteran
veteran
Imagine if the party is captured and all their gear is confiscated then the wizard with 8 intelligence looks like an ass. Or like in Solasta, and the plot rivets a crown on them.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
A +2 Int headband wouldn’t really account for the amount ogre boss being as articulate as he is, though.
Lump is largely irrelevant in the bigger picture talking about game design. They could just turn him into an Ogre Mage or simply let him be an abnormally smart Ogre.

Also, if you are playing an EK as a spellcaster instead of a Fighter with a bit of magical utility and protection then you are really missing the point of the class. 😂
Nope. The optimal way of playing an EK is to ignore Int and focus on spells that aren't affected by it. They specifically designed EK to be specialized in Evocation and Abjuration spells. But since they designed it poorly, Evocation isn't as useful and requires a stat Abjuration does not. Intelligence modifier also affecting the duration of protection spells would have been better, but they clearly wanted a simple streamlined system and this poor balance is the result.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard