Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
addict
addict
F
In TT there's a trap where the odd player sometimes thinks they're the main character and it causes problems at the table. This is because the game's true focus isn't any one character, it's the _party_.

It's true, the MC isn't a vampire, doesn't have a devil patron, deity lover, lich empress or secret cult mission. MC is more bland and generic. We're no longer playing the Child of Bhaal confronting our megalomaniacal half-brother. (Although there remains the question, why exactly was Tav snatched up? One of many or specific mark?)

Me personally? I'm a little done playing chosen ones, so I've got that bias. I like the world setting where MC dies and things continue... badly it seems.

Back to OP, MC dies and the party can't rest. That's kind of perfect. The huge ego origin characters can't agree anymore and disband. Probably all failing individually.

One little doodle I do as a DM is paste character portraits and draw connections to make a relationship map. You can also ring the party with a few important NPCs. The arrows are widened or narrowed to show strength of connections. Anyway, this little activity shows the characters most immersed in the setting, you guessed it - the de facto party (co)leader. The real purpose is to expose weak characters - and work to fix it up with those players.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by FreeTheSlaves
In TT there's a trap where the odd player sometimes thinks they're the main character and it causes problems at the table. This is because the game's true focus isn't any one character, it's the _party_.
…
One little doodle I do as a DM is paste character portraits and draw connections to make a relationship map. You can also ring the party with a few important NPCs. The arrows are widened or narrowed to show strength of connections. Anyway, this little activity shows the characters most immersed in the setting, you guessed it - the de facto party (co)leader. The real purpose is to expose weak characters - and work to fix it up with those players.

I feel quite lucky in that the group I’m DMing for right now have a great dynamic. One particular player has very much organically emerged as the group leader, but he is very entertaining and always takes the party on interesting journeys so everybody is more than pleased to let him. He is also a DM and a great improv-story-teller, so it makes sense this would happen.

I do work to make sure everybody feels like the main character of their own personal quest lines which I integrate into the main story though. Gotta make sure nobody feels left out.

Maybe it’s because I’m so used to doing this for others that I don’t mind if my character isn’t explicitly the chosen one. That and when I play in TT groups I always go out of the way to make my characters as ancillary as possible.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Hell, here is a sketch I did of the party I’m currently playing in. I’m the one of the far camera-right. The least qualified to be leader of the bunch, and that includes the rat-man gangster, Charles E. Cheese and the twelve year old with the cigarette and a bad attitude.

I promise there is a valid story reason I am dressed like that.

Last edited by Warlocke; 28/01/23 07:57 AM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Sozz
I remember us having some interesting conversations, even if most of the particulars escape me. I do remember head canons coming up quite a bit before on the forum, there are two camps of crpg players that have very different expectations from their characters, and what constitutes customizability.

I think the tadpole is a perfectly valid reason for all of our disparate characters to want to journey together, it's why Tav is de facto leader where I have to eat my ludonarrative pease.

This evident intrigue around our condition is part of the mystery box that I was referring to earlier. The dynamics of the party and our MC might change drastically at the climax of Act 1, but as it is, most of us seem to be treating this thing as a tadpole we can remove, this becomes less and less the case as we draw closer to the Moonrise plot, but it still doesn't change that Tav problem.

There's a reason I hardly play BG 1 compared to BG2, the companions are mostly just memorable catchphrases that I projected a lot onto, so we can agree there. But I don't think you need to say its a trade off to have more companions or better companions. Not to mention all the speculation around having our roster locked in after Act I. Who knows, all the characters you kill or avoid meeting might end up at Moonrise anyway, similar to the end of DOSII, and we'd have less reason for them to subject themselves to our party in the interim.

Your murderhoboism makes my lawful stupid self apoplectic. :hihi:

Murderhobo? We prefer the term amoral-homicidally-indulgent-transient, thank you very much.

Well, you don’t need to choose between more or better companions; better is subjective. But the more energy you spend on each discrete companion means you have fewer total resources with which to design more. Ideally I think it would be great to have 12 companions representing each PHB class. If we did then I think having companions more willing to leave if upset would be better justified. But since we don’t have that, I at least understand the design principle being exercised.

Just like the design decision of having companions wait at camp. I don’t like that. I actually prefer the older BG style of you are in the party or you aren’t. It feels silly to me when I meet somebody in a game and say “you, look like a worthy and capable warrior. Now please go attend the campfire and keep the fire burning vigorously because we’re all going to be exhausted after clearing this den of werewolves.”

But I get why developers do this, so I just kind of find a way to go with it. (Murder unwanted companions)

This conversation made me think though. Does your character need to be the party leader? If I decide to play the entire game doing every conversation as Shadowheart while I cuck out in the background, isn’t Shadowheart really the leader and my character just the group mother hen making sure everybody is getting along and feeling seen? How often does the game force your character into dialogue over whomever you have selected?

Last edited by Warlocke; 28/01/23 07:53 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by robertthebard
1. Why is it that my MC, one of two remaining Grey Wardens in Fereldan, is doing all the dirty work, instead of sending out their companions to do it, while making sure they survive?

2. In Inquisition, why is the Inquisitor doing all the leg work, when they have a whole force they could be using? Something that gets touched on with the War Table missions.

3. It's a pretty common observation, across a multitude of games, that the MC is really super important, and yet, they're chasing down some old woman's frying pan...

1. You're currently on the run from the law so staying in one place is a bad idea in general. Most of the leaders you go to meet have things that need doing before they agree to abide by the treaties you present them. As leader you're also the most capable person to do most of these jobs. Think about it, if you sent your companions out to do any of the quests without you, who would, in turn, lead them in your absence? Alistair explicitly admits that he's not comfortable with leadership and that's why he defers to a new recruit. It's your deciseivness and force of personality and authority as a gray warden that gets the other characters to fall in line. Without you, they wouldn't agree on a leader and they'd just all fall apart.

2. As Inquisitor, you are often going to meet directly with important people in areas. The inquisition is big and important, but also new, so you as its leader often have to be the one to establish a firm relationship with any factions. Plus a big part of your responsibility is to physically go out and close rifts, which still requires you to be present.

3. This is just true, no further expansion.

Originally Posted by FreeTheSlaves

BG3 isn't really about the party though. If it was, there would be a lot more focus given on the inter-party dynamics. There would be clearer relationships forming beyond what Tav influences. But what do Gale and Wyll think of each other? Gale and Lae'zel? Astarion and Shadowheart? If it were about the party we'd be seeing more clear dynamics like what we have between Lae'zel and Shadowheart. You can say 'this is act one, we've not seen where things are going' but my counter would be; yes, this is act one. Act one should establish the tones and themes of the story. If BG3 is a game about the dynamics of the party as a whole, we should be able to tell that by now. And that's also what I would say to those who think there's gonna be some reveal as to why everyone follows our Tav later in the game. Thus far, 'why does everyone follow us?' is not even a question we're invited to think about by the story. And again because of the origin system, if it were a question, then the answer isn't going to be anything personal to Tav, because it'll have to be able to apply to any of the origins.

Furthermore, we're going to get to play these characters as origins. Will it still be about the party when we're playing as these defined, clear characters? The story thus far is clearly constructed to have one central character, but the central character could be multiple different people.

veteran
veteran
There's a difference between having an adequate call to adventure, and being a 'chosen one'. Chosen one narratives are generally trite and tired, and I don't advocate for them as a staple - I actually kind of hate them, but that's only at a personal character level, and not relevant.

In a video game, you can give a call to adventure that is sufficiently pressing enough to push the main character into the leadership position; in an ideal situation it would be something that does not depend on the character being particularly charismatic or forceful of personality (because your character may not be), and it should be something independent of class, race, sex or background. This isn't typically difficult to do, and it does not require making the character into a super-special-divinely-mandated-chosen-one.

If you're going to have a collection of companions available for the player to take with them, or as options to pick from for playing, and they'll all be available right away at the beginning of the game, then this reason Must present itself in some tangible way at or before the time of the party forming up and choosing to follow the main character - otherwise you're left with the dissonance of the npcs following the pc for no reason beyond the out-of-character meta of their mechanical need to do so. If you don't want to present the real reason right away, then you need to present stop-gap reasons that justify it short term until your story is ready to present the true reason. Otherwise you have narrative dissonance and broken immersion.

Other games - even the games that Robert suggested, all do this correctly. To my personal experience, all of the fantasy RPGs I've played have presented some amount of internal justification for this, because that's simply a part of telling a coherent story. And to answer neprostoman, No - BG3 currently does not, and it does not even TRY to; it does nothing of the sort at all, not even broad or rough strokes. It literally does not. It leaves us at "They follow us because we are the PC and they are NPCs" meta-game mechanic and it seems satisfied for the majority of the first act to leave it at that. That's not good enough. Act 1 needs to present at least A reason for the player character being the leader and decision-maker, before or by the time important and/or powerful people start following our decisions, in order to preserve immersion and prevent dissonance.

It could do this with the tadpole, if they wanted to; It could, with a little more lore added in in some way to push our character into the leading role - and it could be done with a little bit of extra lore that pushes our character into the leading role no matter which character, custom or origin, we decide to play... but the game Does Not Do This.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by neprostoman
The other user gave actual examples of games that failed to create the perfect narrative around the MC's leadership. There will very likely be a moment in any role playing game when your party members stick with the MC instead of doing something of higher value to their made-up story/personality. This derives from the "player factor", because games are played by players, not characters. Especially in a game with a lot of sandbox elements, a player can make erratic decisions, made with the understanding that the world they explore isn't real and there is no necessity for actions that would contribute to a cohesive story.
“What-about-ism” isn’t in a great argument, especially when one brings Inquisition as a counter example. Yes, there are other games with major narrative issues. But I also don’t want to have to play through Inquisition-like ever again.

Even if every RPG in the past would fail to narratively explain MC’s leadership role, it doesn’t stop being an issue - gameplay and story should be one of the same. If Larian can’t set appropriate mechanics to their story, or doesn’t create the story to match their mechanics it is the flaw in their craft. This is also issue that exists without player’s input so player unrestrained freedoms isn’t even part of the problem.

If Larian’s intend is to create an unlikely band of survivors tied by circumstances, rather than a hero and companions, they are free to do so. But they are far from achieving that goal IMO - they would need to change the power dynamic between MC and companions from gameplay and interaction perspective. The game is confused in its messaging and that’s a problem. Maybe not the game killer, but definitely makes it difficult for me to care for the narrative.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
Other games - even the games that Robert suggested, all do this correctly.
Yes, though Robert didn’t actually address the issue you raised, but quoted games with other potential unrelated narrative issues.

1. Why is it that my MC, one of two remaining Grey Wardens in Fereldan, is doing all the dirty work, instead of sending out their companions to do it, while making sure they survive?
Not even a problem - their status as a Grey Warden is the key to fighting and defeating darkspawn, and forging alliances. Arguably yes, if both Alister and MC died that would be bad, as there would be no one left to defeat archdeamon but that’s not the information characters have for the majority of the game. And no, DA:O companions don’t strike me as a sort of people who would do your job for you. Help out sure, but most of them have reason to see YOU succeed not go on a quest themselves.

2. In Inquisition, why is the Inquisitor doing all the leg work, when they have a whole force they could be using? Something that gets touched on with the War Table missions.
Barely existent story and herb gathering, with most interesting content happening in the war table has been a common criticism. That said, as a anchor holder, Inquisitor is the only one capable of shutting down tears. He is also half prophet so again, make sense for him to be out doing work more, than hanging out in the keep. Still a terrible game though.

3. It's a pretty common observation, across a multitude of games, that the MC is really super important, and yet, they're chasing down some old woman's frying pan...
Ah, Witcher3. A for hire odd job man, doing an optional curious odd job as he runs across a grandma and helps her out. The frying pan is even literally there, so it’s not like you go one a lengthy errand postponing a grand quest in the process.

Last edited by Wormerine; 28/01/23 12:00 PM.
veteran
veteran
I fully agree with Niara on the matter, but I guess it won't ever be solved in Larian's games because of multiplayer.

How is that handled in BG1/2 EE ? I guess the host is the bhaalspaw while others players are just blank companions ?
Not sure how it works in other multiplayer cRPG but I have to admit that I would not like to play a "blank" follower for dozens of hours.

That said I'm a solo player and as it has been said countless time : all other cRPG I can think of did a way better job at making my character well grounded in the story and the world.
The leadership issue is also a lot more noticeable than it could because most companions backstories are over the top right at the beginning. If Tav is going to be less blank at some point, we should already have clues about it all along act 1 so that its branching out into the story to be equally engaging.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 28/01/23 12:53 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
It is not what-aboutism, it is about high statistical probability of ruined immersion applied to players with a certain mindset, which is not applicable to role playing games, but more to books and/or cinema or visual novellas, where there is no interactive elements and therefore high demand for a certain level of logical coherence. Broad strokes are in place in BG3 and they make sense. The specifics of the genre allow plot stretching and interpretive thinking and justify some of the smaller plot holes. If BG3 was a linear visual novella with a set protagonist, plot coherence would become much more crucial. But BG3 is an RPG with a high emphasis on replayability and changeable characters. It is not that kind of game that "plays itself" but the one where you are free to justify your leadership as you see fit, according to your character's lore. I am all in for more dialogue options to help me project that lore onto the world, but it has nothing to do with other companions being interesting and unique. They are unique, yes, but they are also flawed. And that is what makes them interesting and not at all Mary Sues.

old hand
old hand
Niara, the other games do a better job at justifying leadership because they have a much more linear structure to the plot. Dragon Age has a character creation system, but it forces you into the shoes of a Grey Warden/Hawk/Inquisitor. BG3 doesn't force you to become a plot-navigating tool right from the start. You play not as a "new recruit of this faction" but as your character with their own story put into the crazy circumstance. It needs a different approach to develop on the plot issue, I think. The mentioned games' experience is not very applicable.

veteran
veteran
It is not what-aboutism, it is about high statistical probability of ruined immersion applied to players with a certain mindset, which is not applicable to role playing games, but more to books and/or cinema or visual novellas, where there is no interactive elements and therefore high demand for a certain level of logical coherence. Broad strokes are in place in BG3 and they make sense. The specifics of the genre allow plot stretching and interpretive thinking and justify some of the smaller plot holes. If BG3 was a linear visual novella with a set protagonist, plot coherence would become much more crucial. But BG3 is an RPG with a high emphasis on replayability and changeable characters. It is not that kind of game that "plays itself" but the one where you are free to justify your leadership as you see fit, according to your character's lore. I am all in for more dialogue options to help me project that lore onto the world, but it has nothing to do with other companions being interesting and unique. They are unique, yes, but they are also flawed. And that is what makes them interesting and not at all Mary Sues.

I would argue that we don't have the choice to justify our leadership according to our character's lore. The game never asks us to justify it, it just assumes we're the leader and that's it. Everyone treats us as the leader of the party, it's never really called into question. Sure we can create all kinds of headcanons for our characters - I am a big supporter of that - but as far as this point is concerned, it doesn't matter if we make our character the lost heir of a far off kingdom, groomed from birth to be monarch or a country bumpkin who was working as a caravan guard and is used to taking orders. We'll both be equally the leader. You think the Dragon Age games aren't a good comparison, I'll bring up a game that I think is a perfect comparison; pillars of eternity. In that game you start off as some random traveller. At the very start of the game you get to talk to someone about the specifics of your past, at least some of them. And then going forward, you pull the party together yourself. Everyone follows you because right at the start they agreed to follow you for whatever their reasons are. They all have their own things you agree to help them with, and in turn they're helping you with an explicitly personal problem. You don't realize the full scale of the threat until a while into the game, until that point your problem isn't anymore important to the wider world than any of your companions' problems are to them, so it wouldn't make sense forone ofthem to want to take control. Not so here, where most companions have their own opinion on how to fix this problem afflicting all of usand no reason not to try and take control.

old hand
old hand
You know, Robert... I don't think I've ever seen you jump into a thread without doing so seemingly for the sole purpose of being contrary and fractious. What do you get out of it? It's fine if you don't see the problem as being one - but a lot of people do. We're not stupid, we just care about immersion in space, especially in story-driven games.

Your sole comment here boils down to "It's the mechanics, don't question it!" ... which is a valid opinion to have, and which you could have said in a couple of sentences and saved everyone some effort.

We are all aware that the player character is the main character and the driving decision-making force in purely mechanical terms; we are the single player playing the single player game, of course we are. That's the mechanics. That's not the story; that's not the setting; that's not an in-space, in-world reason. It's the out-of-character reason - there is no in-character reason presented, and that's a problem. Having such a reason is important, and good games provide one. BG3 does not... and as I discussed "It hasn't yet!" is not an adequate response; it is past the point where it needs to have done so.

Immersion and consistency in world space matter - and if they don't matter to you, or you've just gotten used to playing games that treat them like they don't matter (in which case, BG3 will be excellent for you, I'm sure...), that's fine - but there are higher calibre games out there that don't do that, and do treat the in-universe story as meaningful and relevant, and any good story-driven rpg should do as much. Most of the ones I've played do.

No, the tadpole is not such a reason; I discussed why it fails to be so above, which you suggested you would address, but didn't. It doesn't serve to justify why everyone with their very important histories and very important personal goals have decided to make those goals second fiddle to the choices that our player character makes, and to designate them, specifically, as the defacto leader of the group. It's a shared danger that serves to keep the party together and justify them travelling and working together as a group, but it doesn't justify making our player character the leader and decison-maker.

Yes, the reason that we are the defacto leader of the group and the others are following our decision-making should be established right away, from the time that others start doing so. That doesn't mean starting at the end and spilling all the beans on everything right away - it means giving a sensible, in-universe reason for an obvious and mundane question (Why are you the one we're all following the lead of?), the lack of which is jarring and immersion-breaking.

I do complain about the mary-sues, though mostly because of the writing, and the way in which our character often exists purely for them to dunk on and to feed them the fall-guy lines that they can respond to, to upsell their own awesomeness... but the complaint here is mainly around such important, established and epic people following our player character and bowing down to their decisions, when none of them have a reason or disposition to do so. That's a problem. The reason to follow our character should put the character at least on reasonably equal footing with the importance of the other characters and their other objectives, and enough above or more urgent enough to make the choice from them of putting those personal objectives on hold and to put their opinions on what we should do secondary to what this other person says we all will do, seem like a reasonably believable and sensible decision. Right now, BG3 does not provide this, and it really should.

Maybe it's just all you remember? I mean, I remember being dragged for pages by you and GM for agreeing with something GM suggested, with a caveat, instead of just yelling "YEAH" at the top of my lungs and grabbing a pitchfork. That does seem to be something that gets people dragged around here, or, perhaps suggesting some things they found that were positive about the game, and having their thread derailed because "squeaky wheel"? This may hurt your feelings, but I didn't come here to join a faction, I came here, when I do, to discuss the game. This may be shocking to you, but it's possible to disagree w/out having to be "contrary or fractious".

My point isn't that it's a mechanic, don't question it, but it's a mechanic, have you been on the forum of almost every cRPG that's ever been made complaining about it, or is this a special case? I notice you ignored my examples, maybe they were too "contrary and fractious" for you to address? To be clear here, as well, the thing that is so important to the narrative that it gets a cutscene every time you meet a new companion isn't a good enough reason for the companions to follow you? From a purely pragmatic standpoint, that seems like a relevant enough reason to me. Do I team up with this stranger that's sharing the same problem I have to find a solution, or continue to fumble around on my own? Maybe it's just a better grasp of subtext, instead of pragmatism?

Then there's the root cause of the resentment of the companions, right? The whole "but they can be the main character" argument? Except that, once you roll Tav, they can't. Additionally, once you pick one of them to be the main character, after release, the rest of them can't. My usual counter to this is that even if they couldn't be the main character, or if Larian completely backpedals on having them selectable as the main character, they'd still have to have stories associated with them to make them interesting, unless you're looking for Skyrim level companions, that simply exist to fill a role and to marry? This is usually met with something along the lines of "but Larian needs to provide backstory for Tav, instead of allowing the player to do it", completely missing the point of a blank slate character. I've said this before, but this is the first time I've ever been to a game forum where the argument is "I want to play the GM's character" instead of "I don't want to play the GM's character".

Why is it that, in Dragon Age Inquisition, Cassandra, Varric and Solas are following your lead at the beginning of the game? You were, a short time ago, a prisoner, suspected of killing the Divine, and yet, all of the decision making is left to you. Cassandra is notorious for being headstrong, and yet, she defers to you. Why? After the destruction of Haven, it's clear why, but up to that point, it's "Main character syndrome". This isn't some Larian construct that needs to be dragged at every oppurtunity, but an established RPG trope. Some games handle it better than others, Mass Effect, for example, since even with nothing else, Shepard outranks them. Even in Inquisition, there's the Mark, but really, at that point you should be an asset, not the leader of the whole faction. Yet, you're the de facto leader. Nothing gets done on the War Table in Haven until you authorize it. You can sway things in Haven, such as how Leliana deals with a traitor in her ranks. Not bad, for someone that was recently in chains, eh?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost

I would argue that we don't have the choice to justify our leadership according to our character's lore. The game never asks us to justify it, it just assumes we're the leader and that's it. Everyone treats us as the leader of the party, it's never really called into question. Sure we can create all kinds of headcanons for our characters - I am a big supporter of that - but as far as this point is concerned, it doesn't matter if we make our character the lost heir of a far off kingdom, groomed from birth to be monarch or a country bumpkin who was working as a caravan guard and is used to taking orders. We'll both be equally the leader. You think the Dragon Age games aren't a good comparison, I'll bring up a game that I think is a perfect comparison; pillars of eternity. In that game you start off as some random traveller. At the very start of the game you get to talk to someone about the specifics of your past, at least some of them. And then going forward, you pull the party together yourself. Everyone follows you because right at the start they agreed to follow you for whatever their reasons are. They all have their own things you agree to help them with, and in turn they're helping you with an explicitly personal problem. You don't realize the full scale of the threat until a while into the game, until that point your problem isn't anymore important to the wider world than any of your companions' problems are to them, so it wouldn't make sense forone ofthem to want to take control. Not so here, where most companions have their own opinion on how to fix this problem afflicting all of usand no reason not to try and take control.

The same thing happens here, in a narrated cutscene even.

S
old hand
old hand
S
I do hope this will be addressed once we arrive in Baldurs gate. I find the subject difficult to judge without having the full game.

What I haven't seen anyone mention in skimming through the last page is... well. The tendencies of mindflayers to form a hive mind. Even lone mindflayers who break free from the elder brain's subjugation are destined to evolve into elder brains themselves. (If I understood that lore video?)

You know where this is going :P

In absence of any evidence otherwise, I like to sit on my conspiracy theory. Mostly because everyone thinking "wow, I'm feeling so fine and myself right now!" while under the thrall of some hive forming instinct is hilarious.

For the record, I don't actually /think/ it's true. But, it's how I entertain myself when Tav has 9 charisma.

veteran
veteran
There's also the influence of the artifact at play, at least it forces Shadowheart to stalk us, driving her mad if we refuse to journey with her. If maybe there were some more subtle clues in that direction i'd certainly be mollified.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Sozz
There's also the influence of the artifact at play, at least it forces Shadowheart to stalk us, driving her mad if we refuse to journey with her. If maybe there were some more subtle clues in that direction i'd certainly be mollified.
You know... since... when we don't have shadowheart in the party... the artefact senses the player in danger... laugh

It is clearly already in our heads. They should really work with it more.

veteran
veteran
Don't forget the video of Swen lamenting what contortions railroading the artifact into the party was causing the writing process. If it's that important, turn your problem into an asset.

Also check out the A Theory if you haven't. Fun speculation

L
addict
addict
L
Has anyone done any testing with scenes like where Lae'zel runs away to meet with the gith patrol ..... and see how that functions if she's the only living party member?

Looking at how the game handles stuff like that, or the post-grove battle party at the camp or the asterion bite scene might be good to see how the game handles a dead main character.

I kinda suspect you would get a game over since you would have no living party members in the first instance and that the game just grabs a random party member to do the speaking in the case of the latter. Some scenes probably just don't trigger at all, like romance scenes.

Anyways, The game is set up like DOS and DOS2 so that everyone is a sorta a main character, both from a story perspective and to a lesser degree- a gameplay one. This presents a lot of hurdles IMO that Larian has to work with. In the original BG, if you did multiplayer IIRC the other player had no say in dialogues and pretty much just followed the 'primary' player's lead, so the story was still oriented around a singular main character. Not the case here. BG III seems written such that barring special 'character moments' events and dialogues are more oriented around addressing the party and the tag system of whomever is the 'speaker'.

I kinda suspect that aside from the inability to initiate conversations with other party members, the game will hardly notice the MCs death. The perspective of certain party member scenes might change if only one party member is left alive. You can already initiate conversations/cutscenes with npcs with your non-MC party members.

Anyways, I won't add any more except to say that I'm not a fan of this system as it is in BG III. I feel like it is going to have similar shortcomings compared to DOS2 in that while it may have a more robust tag system, the game being unfocused in regards to the main character, particularly if you roll a custom character. Too much has to be surrendered to make the Origin system work, to make the multiplayer work the way they intend.

I do have some confidence that Larian will work in a 'Tav-exclusive' storyline at some point. Hopefully, maybe. Since IIRC they did mention they didn't want to have that particular same failing as DOS2 did with their custom MCs.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Other games in this genre handle it by tying your MC directly and intrinsically to the core plot of the game in a way that the other companions are not; this gives them a very good reason to follow and ultimately defer to the main character's decisions

Fair point that Larian’s approach of making a number of potential origin characters who are also companions, and giving high priority to the multiplayer experience, leaves them with multiple characters tied in the same way to the plot and therefore no compelling reason for the player character to be the leader. I hope they can actually make a virtue of this, and I for one would be totally up for a single player experience in which “my” character isn’t obviously the leader (at least to begin with) but is convincingly just one of a party of individuals who have been thrown together by circumstances.

It’d be a tricky illusion to pull off, given BG3 isn’t a game like IWD or Solasta where the player is effectively acting as the party rather than an individual, but would need to have elements of this where they step into the shoes of other party members or direct the party’s story as a whole, without losing their identification with their insert character. But I do think BG3 sometimes almost pulls this off, and it is the way I try to interpret this initial act: not as the rest of the party members following the lead of my main character but as the party as a whole (more or less) agreeing on a course of action.

I will easily admit the way EA plays doesn’t always make perfect sense when read this way, but if Larian could find a way to fix their problem not by giving our main character reason to be the leader early on, but by *not* making them the leader at least until that had been earned, then for me that would be a more interesting and novel dynamic.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
I'm torn about this.On the one hand I do think that a game made like that would be interesting, genuinely. But for BG3 in particular, I don't really like the idea because our custom characters are already pretty nothing presences to the plot. That sort of dynamic would only add more emphasis to the origin characters at the cost of making our custom characters even less important than they already are. If we're not even the character everyone defers to to make decisions, then what's to keep Tav from faiding to the background compared to everyone else?

Also just from a technical angle, I don't think trying to implement that at this point would be a good idea at all. I think for a system like that to work, it has to be envisioned and implemented from the ground up. And for it to work with a custom character, that custom would need to have their own 'thing'. Their own motivation that's either directly tied to the main plot or seperate to yet still influenced by the main plot, same as the companions. Otherwise their reasoning for following or not following any given option that the others provide boils down to 'I don't want to.'

I think the problem can be illustrated thusly- the origin characters each have more narrative weight, you could call it. They each have stuff going on around them that impacts the direction of the story. Our Tav doesn't have that. Nothing about any Tav you can create will fundamentally alter the ability for the plot to happen. Tav is always incidental to the story and the plot. No matter what backstory you create for your Tav, they don't bring any of it into the story. They can just be plucked out and narratively speaking, any ofthe companions could step into their place. To tie this back to the question of the thread; we know for a fact purely because of the presence of the origin system that if Tav dies, then narratively, one of the other companions can just step in and take their place and nothing will change.

Originally Posted by robertthebard
The same thing happens here, in a narrated cutscene even.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're refering to when you say this. I mentioned a couple different things in my post.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard