Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 30 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 29 30
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Piff
Anyway...

The AAA games industry and me haven't been friends in a long time, and when all I hear about a game is it's big tech numbers, it usually tells me that the game is probably not aimed at me.

So my most anticipated releases for 2023 are almost all indie pixel games, and small studio releases, with the exception of Legend of Zelda. I'm also keeping an eye on the development of Wild Hearts, even though I've never been a big fan of Omega Force's games in the past.

Same for me for the most part. I will say, my guilty pleasure is going to be trying out that Harry Potter game, brings me back to the ps2 days I think it was. Was great. Other than that though, AA and indy games are just way more worth while. I'm actually trying out Mechwarrior 5 right now, got it on sale, it's pretty fun, albeit very frustrating for someone new to this kind of game.

P
addict
addict
P
I've been having a lot of fun with graveyard keeper, which is a stardew valley inspired sim game, except instead of farming and romancing townsfolk, I desecrate graves and make zombies. I'm not seeing a lot of replay value, but that's normal with games like this.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Anyway...

The AAA games industry and me haven't been friends in a long time, and when all I hear about a game is it's big tech numbers, it usually tells me that the game is probably not aimed at me.

So my most anticipated releases for 2023 are almost all indie pixel games, and small studio releases, with the exception of Legend of Zelda. I'm also keeping an eye on the development of Wild Hearts, even though I've never been a big fan of Omega Force's games in the past.

Same for me for the most part. I will say, my guilty pleasure is going to be trying out that Harry Potter game, brings me back to the ps2 days I think it was. Was great. Other than that though, AA and indy games are just way more worth while. I'm actually trying out Mechwarrior 5 right now, got it on sale, it's pretty fun, albeit very frustrating for someone new to this kind of game.
mechwarrior is a deep dive. but it's very rewarding

T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T

Well so it will support both the Console and PC. It has UNREAL 5 engine smile.

Well will I play it??? I wait for information will Throne of Liberty MMO (Lineage III) have subfee, cost to buy and if so price to pay, pay to win, how much pay to win JADA JADA all that is unknown they will tell that later. It is a bit extreeme they still do not tell this after all release is going to be June 2023 or earlier that is the plan at least.

Yes but how about test it in Open Beta? If I understood correctly Open Beta would require to travel to Korea they will have physically it there. Well and if someone actually is willing to travel there even then I would make sure that you fit in if it is physical location and not so you travel there and they tell sorry it is full you can not enter.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 04/02/23 09:27 AM.
stranger
stranger
I just play some 'cities skylines', some old school RPGs like "Betrayal at Krondor".

My favourite old school RPG is "Baldurs Gate 1", but i have played through this game so many times... :O)

Electronic Music - www.thetuneproductions.com
journeyman
journeyman
Been deep into Dragon Age: Inquisition again.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by pachanj
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Anyway...

mechwarrior is a deep dive. but it's very rewarding
Not trying to derail the topic or anything, but it says pachanj was banned? Why? Don't the mods usually warn you first?

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Not trying to derail the topic or anything, but it says pachanj was banned? Why? Don't the mods usually warn you first?

Probably best not to speculate on exactly why, as it’s possible they’re still looking at the forums even if they can’t post and it seems rude to talk about someone when they might be listening and can’t answer back.

But I am sure that yes, except for cases where behaviour is so bad that it warrants an immediate ban, mods would indeed give warnings, though these might be by private message rather than posted publicly in threads.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
enthusiast
enthusiast
Manor Lords, Hogwarts Legacy, Atomic Heart, and The Invincible are the ones I am most looking forwards to this year. Tentatively excited for Dreadwolf as well (whenever it happens ). I think Vampire Masquerades will be poopy because of development hell (which is a shame as original game was great).

For old games, I return often to Dragon Age Origins. Best rpg of all time for balance of role play, choice and consequences, world building, and gameplay options (spell combos, setting tactics for party members, etc). Would be over the moon if an original IP with that type of player agency was developed with updated graphics! Still hoping!

I also weirdly liked the Dreamfall games. Shit gameplay, but such an original and beautiful world and story.

I also fire up TW3 occasionally just to experience a game made with love and a protagonist I enjoy. And to wash Cyperpunk epic fail from memory.

If all else fails, I make pretty things in Planet Coaster 😝

Last edited by timebean; 04/02/23 07:22 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm excited for Hogwarts-A Legacy. As a big Harry Potter fan,, this is a must for me.
At the moment I play Guild Wars 2. I like the story and the new take on well known fantasy races. At the moment, I mostly play my Sylvari ranger and my Asura necromancer. I love especially the Asura.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Don Bartenstein
Love Dragon Age

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by Don Bartenstein
Love Dragon Age

Prompted by the recent discussion about voiced protagonists where it was brought up, I was thinking just the other day that I might try my first DA:I run for years and reinstalled it, only to run aground on character creation against the awful hairstyles. Why are BioWare so bad at hair when they’re so good at so much else? Not that I’m shallow … okay maybe I am. (And I know there are mods but even with those I can’t find a DA:I hairdo I like for my “canon” Inquisitor.)

I probably will get over myself and try another run at some time before Dreadwolf. I might even start at the beginning and play DA:O and DA2 as well, but even though it’s been a few years since I’ve done so, I’ve played both so much that I suspect they’ll still be too familiar. I do enjoy combat in the first two DA games way more than DA:I, though, so they’re probably worth replaying just for that.

I’ll also probably run another character through BG1/SoD/BG2 before August too, and like the relaxed feeling of playing these on my iPad. I also enjoy Civ VI on my iPad when I want to play games less intensely.

I’ll probably get KotOR2 for my iPad as well (KotOR was another iPad port I’ve already enjoyed), but only if it’s possible to apply the restored content mod (I think I’ve read we can, but haven’t got round to investigating properly). I loved KotOR2, perhaps even more than the original, but it really suffered from being rushed at the end and I know I’m far from being the only player who feels it desperately needs that mod to be satisfying.

I’ve also got an increasing list of RPGs I’ve started but abandoned, not because I think they’re bad but I just got distracted and they hadn’t grabbed me quite enough to pull me back in. I’ll eventually get round at some point to finishing DOS2, PoE2, Witcher 2, Solasta and Pathfinder: Kingmaker I’m sure. And then I can finally play Witcher 3 and WotR and experience for myself what folk have been raving about!

I also picked up Disco: Elysium in the January Steam sale, so looking forward to that!

Given all the existing games mounting up on my to be played list, I’ve not really been paying much attention to additional new games other than BG3. Dreadwolf and Mass Effect 5 will also be auto-buys for me, but info seems pretty thin on the ground so far so I’ve been trying not to torture myself by thinking about them too much.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Do I need to finish Origins to enjoy DA2 and Inquisition? I was 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through when I lost my save and I've got mixed feelings about replaying.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Do I need to finish Origins to enjoy DA2 and Inquisition? I was 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through when I lost my save and I've got mixed feelings about replaying.

I wouldn’t say so. If you don’t import a DA:O save to DA2 there’s stuff you won’t see in DA2 as it will just use a bunch of default assumptions about what happened, but with the exception of a few guest appearances the story largely diverges from DA:O after Ostagar/Lothering and you’ll have already got past those.

DA:I uses the web-based Dragon Age Keep to set up your world state rather than imported savegames so in a way it matters even less if you’ve not played DA:O to the end, though if you try to use the Keep to specify what happened at the end of DA:O without having played it some of the options might not make a lot of sense. Or you can just take the default world state and run with it. The character you play won’t have known the Warden from DA:O, so it makes perfect sense to play them without knowing what exactly happened in the earlier game. There will just be some references and perhaps characters which don’t mean as much to you as a player as they otherwise would have, or stuff that you’ll find out in DA:I that you might already have known if you’d played DA:O to the end.

All that said, DA:O is probably my favourite of the three, so if you’re not sure about finishing that then I don’t know how much you’ll enjoy the next two. Though they do have different virtues, as well as different flaws, so still possibly worth a try.

EDIT: DA:O also had a fairly large expansion called Awakening that I think is quite good if not fantastic. I think it’s also possible to play Awakening without finishing DA:O (though you’ll need DA:O installed) and it will just assume your DA:O warden died resolving the events of that game and a new Grey Warden from Orlais has been dispatched to be the hero of the expansion. I confess I only ever played Awakening as a long epilogue to the main DA:O story though.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Also if this is a recommendation thread, I'm looking for something new to play. Relatively recent, but I'll take must-play classics. I've most enjoyed:

-Bioware Games
-Bethesda Games
-Larian Games

Also Thanks, Red!

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 04/02/23 04:33 PM.

veteran
veteran
DA2 is a sidequel that sets up DAI. There is, or was, a pretty extensive 'tapestry' system for recreating your playthrough of DAO because it came out so much earlier than Inquisition that most people didn't have their save anyway. There's some stuff with Morrigan and the Wardens that makes an appearance in DAI, otherwise you've probably gotten everything you need in the first two-thirds.

veteran
veteran
You don't need to finish Origins to enjoy DA2. It's a mostly separate story entirely, aside from a few cameos/references. In fact, iirc, the most relevant details only happen in the DLC to DA2, and reference the post-game DLC to Origins:Awakening.

For Inquisition...I would say that DA2 is much more relevant than DAO. Again, Inquisition references things that happened in DAO and has cameos, but if you played ~halfway through DAO then you're probably familiar enough with all the characters.

That said, DAO is a great game, and the post-game DLC: Awakening is considered one of the best DLCs for video games, so I recommend playing both. Or you could just start with Awakening if you really don't care to replay DAO, but think you'd enjoy high-level gameplay of Origins.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 04/02/23 04:41 PM. Reason: lol, apparently we all decided to write our posts at similar times.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Last edited by mrfuji3; 9 minutes ago. Reason: lol, apparently we all decided to write our posts at similar times.

At least we all gave more or less the same advice smile. Could have been worse!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Last edited by mrfuji3; 9 minutes ago. Reason: lol, apparently we all decided to write our posts at similar times.

At least we all gave more or less the same advice smile. Could have been worse!
smile

Judging by the size of the old Dragon Age Next Gen RPG? thread, there are a few DA fans around.
Also if this is a recommendation thread, I'm looking for something new to play. Relatively recent, but I'll take must-play classics. I've most enjoyed:

-Bioware Games
-Bethesda Games
-Larian Games

Also Thanks, Red!
I'm not sure there's a lot that most Rpg nerds won't have played from those three. Alpha Protocol was a really interesting game, but you can't buy it online. Dragon Commander was a shit tactical game, with a fun story rpg element trawled on top.

If you haven't you could looking to the ways people are modding games, like the people transferring Morrowind into Skyrim's engine, Skywind I think it's called. There are also some pretty good mods for Neverwinter Nights. Also people have good things to say about Neverwinter Nights 2, especially one of its expansions.

Last edited by Sozz; 04/02/23 05:47 PM. Reason: link added because why not
T
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
T
Hahaa and then there is me Dungeons Dragons games fan (Pathfinder included it rules were developed from DnD 3.5 and reminds of that) but I am also MMO player.
Oh and I am not DOS fan enough said. Like more Solasta, Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder games.

Currently I play no MMO but I wait for these:
Throne of Liberty aka Lineage 3 MMO. Unreal 5 engine and the only fantasy MMO game (that interest me) I expect full release in 2023. Unknown what will cost etc. slightly interested. but like calling it Lineage 3 instead. Release date: During June 2023 or earlier.
Voluntary PvP but my issues is with no classes and then PvE zerg farming bosses in outdoor dungeons and raids not balanced. Well and guess more or less buy to win elements could be included. Anyway beautiful game no doubt with Unreal 5 engine. In huge fights Lineage 3 reduce automatically graphics from what I have heard.

Ashes of Creation MMO with Unreal 5 graphics.
The ultimate PvP world. On downside not only voluntary PvP. Huge PvP battles possible example 500 vs 500 players and an Dragon in that area that can affect outcome with Unreal 5 engine and plans to not reduce graphics interesting to see how they manage to do this? We have had really big fights yes, but yet not shown 500 vs 500 players.
Hardcore old school type of MMO... Epic Raids and Dungeons instances. Slower levelup and progress.
Well not pay to win and subfee.
Release date: My guess year 2024 or 2025. During 2023 I do expect ALPHA 2 to come out and then lots of more information.

Dungeons Dragons MMO (Neverwinter ONLINE exist, but it is outdated) with Unreal 5 graphics. Developed in USA.
Release date?: Unknown Guess 2025-2028. Even the name is unknown for this MMO.

Riot (company developer of League of Legends and n other successful games) upcoming MMO. Unreal 5 graphics.
PvP will certainly be included more or less. Very unknown project, but huge budget. Will have Raids and Dungeons.
Release date?: Unknown Guess 2025-2028. Even the name is unknown for this MMO.

Unreal 5 only better graphics? No it runs better system performance. Despite excellent graphics better system performance for big /huge fights. It runs much better then Ray Tracing yet manage to look as good. It runs better then Unreal 4 engine huge fights. One of the effects that Unreal 5 manage with other technology do what ray tracing can do and with much less system requirements.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 04/02/23 06:11 PM.
Page 6 of 30 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 29 30

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard