Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
O
so im seeing that i cannt buff myself? only party members?

why did they make it like this?--especially as a valor bard, where I want to be upfront in combat.

or am i doing something wrong?

veteran
veteran
It's D&D - it's class, team based game. Classes are meant to synergise with each other, not just with themselves.

As a skill it wouldn't make much sense - one inspires others not themselves.

O
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
O
I DISAGREE

bards arent 1 person buff class-- they inspire the party.

veteran
veteran
Well, no. In 5e bard picks one person to inspire. I mean you can inspire whole party (aside from yourself of course) as long as you have enough barding inspiration dies.
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Bard#content

Bardic Inspiration
You can inspire Others through stirring words or music. To do so, you use a bonus Action on Your Turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you. That creature gains one Bardic Inspiration die, a d6.

Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, Attack roll, or saving throw it makes. The creature can wait until after it rolls The D20 before deciding to use the Bardic Inspiration die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Once the Bardic Inspiration die is rolled, it is lost. A creature can have only one Bardic Inspiration die at a time.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (a minimum of once). You regain any expended uses when you finish a Long Rest.

Your Bardic Inspiration die changes when you reach certain levels in this class. The die becomes a d8 at 5th Level, a d10 at 10th level, and a d12 at 15th level.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Oldnight
so im seeing that i cannt buff myself? only party members? why did they make it like this?--especially as a valor bard, where I want to be upfront in combat.

As far as I’m aware, this feature is in line with 5e RAW so this is probably a question/objection for WotC rather than Larian. Personally, I’m fine with this though it is a change from what I was used to from other games. Be aware, though, that level 5 combat inspiration is bugged, which does make playing a valour bard at the moment disappointing, in addition to the fact that we don’t have level 6 yet which is when they get their extra attack.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Across the various subclasses, there are ways that different bards get to spend their bardic inspiration on buffs and benefits for themselves, but as of yet we can see only the 3rd level perks of two subclases (some of which do not even work as they claim to in game), neither of which include features like that. The features do exist, at higher levels and in other colleges, but we'll just have to wait and see whether Larian chooses to implement any of them, and how they do if so.

O
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
O
you are correct

as it stands now, there really isnt any reason to play a bard, as other classes are doing that bards do much better.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Oldnight
you are correct

as it stands now, there really isnt any reason to play a bard, as other classes are doing that bards do much better.
Bards can solo the gith patrol if played well, even in patch 8

Baldurs Gate 3 [EA] – Valor Bard solo Githyanki Patrol – Boss Battle
YouTube · sin tee

https://www.google.com/search?q=bard+solo+gith+patrol&client=ms-android-xiaomi-rvo3&bih=707&biw=393&hl=de&tbm=vid&sxsrf=AJOqlzWR8kFjLiF8L5YWeqYpYUjqGtG3yw%3A1676860114682&ei=0tryY9-kKY36kgXynLmYAQ&oq=bard+solo+gith+patrol&gs_lcp=ChBtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXZpZGVvEAMyBAgjECcyCggAEPEEEB4QogQ6BwgjELACECdQwwVYoQdg5wpoAHAAeACAAX6IAckCkgEDMS4ymAEAoAEBqgEQbW9iaWxlLWd3cy12aWRlb8ABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-video#

When the class works unbugged, it, like the moon druid, could be worse. Having only level 5, it is the time of the fireball sorcerer and two handed melee using their extra attack

veteran
veteran
OP, I think you are expecting a very specific thing from bard and are upset that D&D bard doesn't fulfill that expectation, rather than looking at the class actually offers. For example Bard is pretty good at passing skill checks with a lot of skill proficiencies and jack of all trades feature.

If your only goal is to build a fronline, melee swashbuckler, that yes, maybe bard isn't the best class for you. That is fine. Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited by Wormerine; 20/02/23 11:24 AM.
S
addict
addict
S
I too hate buffing others. I want to hog all the glory myself! As a fellow egomaniac I therefore suggest downloading the mod (on nexus) that implements the Swords Bard whose inspiration is very much centered around making yourself look good. Also, the Lore Bard's Cutting Word is very strong in the game given it debuffs enemy saving throws (instead of debuffing enemy damage rolls). Debuffing targets is akin to buffing yourself (or your companions depending on).

veteran
veteran
College of Swords Bard would sound like the exact sort of flamboyant, flashy, front-liner, self-enhancer that the OP wants to play - here's hoping Larian adds the subclass for launch or after.

O
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
O
yes-- -i thougbt the valor bard was going to be the fontline melee finesse brawler like a swordsinger

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Also weird that you seem to be locked at 3 uses. You're supposed to get uses equal to CHA modifier. you can get a +5 modifier in EA, but still only 3 uses per long rest.

EDIT: just hit level 5 and saw that there are 4 uses then. Connected to proficiency bonus?

Last edited by BROttorney; 29/03/23 03:16 AM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Bard just feels overall weak in BG3. Enemies here hit like a truck, and bard power scaling just does not go up enough like other classes in EA for me at least. It feels almost as bad as low lvl pathfinder. What I did instead is just focus on Druid or Warlock and take a feat with human for bard. That way I can still get the good buffs at lvl 4, and have 3 uses or inspiration

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by AusarViled
Bard just feels overall weak in BG3. Enemies here hit like a truck, and bard power scaling just does not go up enough like other classes in EA for me at least. It feels almost as bad as low lvl pathfinder. What I did instead is just focus on Druid or Warlock and take a feat with human for bard. That way I can still get the good buffs at lvl 4, and have 3 uses or inspiration

The bard gets a power big spike at level 6 because of magical secrets and extra attack depending on subclass.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard