Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
addict
OP Offline
addict
I may have mentioned this before, but always let Asterion take the mark from Priestess Gut. If you plan on using him. It is wholly lore friendly to do so and he can use some great gear. Match him with the Gauntlets of the Absolute and he is even more so a monster.

RP it as he did it discreetly…. Anything is better than his last master…

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 03/03/23 03:11 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'd think he would be less likely to get the mark given his history.

Blackheifer
S
old hand
old hand
S
I... don't think he's stupid enough to brand himself with another magic symbol. Seems like a fuck up once, but not twice kind of guy?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I do not think he would do this, either, for the reasons already mentioned by Blackheifer and Silver/ .

I think the thing Astarion wants most is his personal freedom, so at least for me, it would not make that much sense for him to join the cult of the Absolute, especially if he can already use the tadpole powers without joining them.

old hand
old hand
I normally have Wyll or Lae'zel take it... Both for the power all though the dagger really is more useful to Wyll than the gloves

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ussnorway
I normally have Wyll or Lae'zel take it... Both for the power all though the dagger really is more useful to Wyll than the gloves

If going in that direction it's best to have the entire group take it so you can use the Warboard of the Absolute power.

It acts like Shield of Faith - but affects the entire party until Long rest and it doesn't rely on concentration at all. So it can't be removed.

Blackheifer
addict
OP Offline
addict
I would say he links the worm (that has given him his freedom, even if short lived). He is getting the same type of dreams Tav is and the promises of more power. He craves the power and freedom. As it stands the party is assuming the Absolute and the worm are connected. Get the brand get more from the Absolute…

veteran
veteran
the dagger really is more useful to Wyll than the gloves
What dagger?

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
I would say he links the worm (that has given him his freedom, even if short lived). He is getting the same type of dreams Tav is and the promises of more power. He craves the power and freedom. As it stands the party is assuming the Absolute and the worm are connected. Get the brand get more from the Absolute…
No, I understand your direction completely. But... the way I see him, the trauma from his last only seemingly harmless tattoo still haunts him by the daily.

You can RP a lot. It's just that extra factor of disbelief you need to get over. I'm also struggling with companions just knowing being branded will let them use the seemingly baned equipment. Without being really aknowledged by the absolute?

If I had to play it straight, I'd get the mark to pass better disguised among the absolute's minions. Believing Halsin will cure us soon. Then figure out the gear doesn't look as ominous as before...

I usually have given Astarion the book of Thay by that point, though. Maybe the darker story beat may be started here, encouraging him to commit fully to the tadpole...

Altogether it's a very Wyll in proportions of low wisdom thing to do. I guess if your MC is high charisma, through /incredibly/ stupid, you may convince the full party to run around with the warboard lmao

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
What dagger?
Ritual Dagger uses a [bonus action] called Sacrifice which adds a d4 extra attack to the dice roll [around 10% allowing for armour and rounding down]

[Linked Image from gog.com]

as for the shield, by the time you get the mark there are better options and i don't carry more than 1 in my party so just sell it

edit its also a normal magic dagger in melee

Last edited by Ussnorway; 04/03/23 10:33 PM.

veteran
veteran
What dagger?
Ritual Dagger uses a [bonus action] called Sacrifice which adds a d4 extra attack to the dice roll [around 10% allowing for armour and rounding down]

as for the shield, by the time you get the mark there are better options and i don't carry more than 1 in my party so just sell it

edit its also a normal magic dagger in melee

You seem to have an issue with proper labels, what shield are you selling?

Blackheifer
S
old hand
old hand
S
Pretty sure it's the warboard. Though, + 2 AC for everyone sounds great to me. It's technically the best shield in the game (2+2) and let's you bane the odd enemy. At cost of a bonus action instead of action. Up to 3x/day

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Silver/
Pretty sure it's the warboard. Though, + 2 AC for everyone sounds great to me. It's technically the best shield in the game (2+2) and let's you bane the odd enemy. At cost of a bonus action instead of action. Up to 3x/day

Yeah, I was hoping he didn't mean The Absolute Warboard since that the best shield in the game - especially if your entire party has the Mark. I think maybe he doesn't understand how it works.

You don't even have to keep wearing it, just use its ability on the rest of your crew (No Pets/Summons) and then equip something else. Its a free +2 AC each for your 3 other teammates and it can't be dispelled.

And yeah you can also use it as a Mass Bane. LOL

Last edited by Blackheifer; 05/03/23 04:23 AM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
What dagger?
Ritual Dagger
I still feels like i dont really get it ...

Dagger you loot on the table next to Abdirak ... Gloves you loot from Goblin attacking the grove ...
Dagger dont require you to have Mark ... Gloves do ...
Dagger incerases your hit chance ... Gloves decerases your target hit chance ...
And they are in different slots.

Why do you even pick between them? O_o
I mean, you can easily have and use both, dont you?

old hand
old hand
you can't really use the gloves until you get the mark so they both come at the same time [ok you can but its a dum move without the mark]
if you make Wyll a melee fighter the yes the gloves and dagger work but most people use him as a range fighter so [in that scenario] the dagger is more important to him

to answer your question i pick between them because there is only one of each item and i make a point of trying every kind of build as i test so i try siding with the Goblins, with the druids or just ignore them both

veteran
veteran
I still dont see any relation the the topic, sory. :-/

veteran
veteran
you can't really use the gloves until you get the mark so they both come at the same time [ok you can but its a dum move without the mark]
if you make Wyll a melee fighter the yes the gloves and dagger work but most people use him as a range fighter so [in that scenario] the dagger is more important to him

to answer your question i pick between them because there is only one of each item and i make a point of trying every kind of build as i test so i try siding with the Goblins, with the druids or just ignore them both

I mean the Dagger uses Dex and the handaxe uses strength - neither require the mark of the absolute though nor are they absolute weapons.

Gloves of Power
Wearer can bane other creatures on hit. If no Mark wearer gets bane on themselves.

Faithbreaker Warhammer
Wearer gains Absolute Power (attack) - No penalty for not having Mark.

The Absolute's Warboard
Party but NOT wearer gains Absolute Protection (+2 AC) - major penalty for not having mark (BANE)

Absolute's Talisman
Wearer gains The Absolute's Mercy - no known penalty for not having mark

Vision of the Absolute
Spear that is anti Spectator. No penalty for not having Mark.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 06/03/23 01:57 PM.

Blackheifer
L
addict
addict
L
I get the whole team marked. Just incase they want to use the shield or gloves.

veteran
veteran
Vision of the Absolute is actually a pretty weird weapon when you think about it. Why does it do extra damage to creatures with multiple eyes? That's a really specific effect, why would the cult create this spear in-universe? What multi-eyed thing are they dealing with often enough to make such a particular weapon?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Vision of the Absolute is actually a pretty weird weapon when you think about it. Why does it do extra damage to creatures with multiple eyes? That's a really specific effect, why would the cult create this spear in-universe? What multi-eyed thing are they dealing with often enough to make such a particular weapon?

Probably shit in the underdark. I hear it only works on the Spectator Beholders anyway. Need to test this.

I mean from a lore perspective maybe it's used to keep certain creatures In line? Driders, Spiders, Beholders, what else?

Blackheifer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard