Several people have run into a problem trying to kill Josephine where she either ran through the wall, or got stuck there after they left and returned. Area effect spells would do damage, but then just force her back farther out of range. She could not be targeted behind the wall, so a bow was not of much use either. If you do not have a recent save to re-load (or waiting, saving and re-loading do not help) there is a problem. Josephine must be defeated to complete the quest, and you must complete the quests to finish the game.
There are a couple of workarounds, however. The first is simply to get though the wall yourself to be able to target Josephine, while the second involves file swapping to get her back into the normal play area (restoring the original file means you don't get the XP for defeating her).Method A
- better / easier / safer
Rather than try to get through the wall in Josephine's room, head upstairs, so you have time to prepare before confronting her again. If you could find a spot to get through the wall there, you would likely be attacked immediately.Procedure
1) Make sure you have both teleporter stones with you. If necessary, drop and use one, pick up the second and use it to return to the cave, then pick up the first.
2) In the room that has the floor tile that leads to Josephine, stand near the top left corner of the room.
3) Drop a teleporter stone in the corner, close to the walls. From there, click and drag it to the opposite side of the wall, and move it around to find a spot where there is no red X, then drop it.
The place where you can drop the teleporter stone on the other side of the wall will depend on where it is in the corner and maybe where the character is standing. Here is a screenshot
showing one place I was able to drop it.
4) Drop the second teleporter stone on the ground and use it to teleport to the other side of the wall, then pick up the first.
5) Maybe make a save and head south to find Josephine. Once she is defeated, collect any loot, then use the teleporter stone in your inventory to get back to the normal game area, pick up that teleporter stone, and continue playing.Method B
- the original workaround, useful if you can not target Josephine at all, or hit her with area effect attacks.
NPC locations are stored in the data.000 file, her location, as well as your own. By swapping a data file from a saved game just after talking to Josephine, her location will be moved into range. I saved a game after killing the evil dwarves, with my location south of the ladder, Josephine north of the ladder. You can download my data file here
1) Save your game under a new name
, such as 'fix'.
2) Make a backup of the data.000 file in the newly saved game folder, by re-naming it or moving it to a subfolder. Important
: this file must be restored at the end of the procedure.2b
) Confirm that you have completed step 2.
3) Copy my data.000 file into this new save.
4) Re-load the 'fix' save game, and be ready to fight. At this point in the game I was a level 39 warrior (did not have any problems), so that is how you will be doing this fight.
5) Defeat Josephine and save the game under a new name, such as 'fix2'.
6) Delete the data.000 file from the 'fix2' game folder, and restore the backup
copy of that file from the 'fix' folder.6b
) Confirm that you have completed step 6.
7) Re-load the 'fix2' game.
You will now be back to your original class/gender/level. You will loose the experience points gained for defeating Josephine, but the game will still count her as defeated and the quest can be completed.
One person returned to Bronthion and recruited him for the council before restoring his original data file. During the blessing ceremony after hitting the gong, when the game switched to the elven council member, the screen went to the dwarven forest; Bronthion was nowhere to be seen, but his dialog came up fine.