Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#846916 08/03/23 11:31 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Any hope they'll be implemented? I mean, the Dodge action should be extremely easy to implement, and kinda needed for monks. But Ready might be trickier... still, if Solasta could... I don't know. What do you guys think?

veteran
veteran
We've been calling for these since day one, more or less. No sign of it yet, so the only 'hope' we have at this stage is that they are prepared and coded already, but that they're being held back for release, since the game is now feature complete and being 'polished', according to interviews.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Honestly, I can't fathom why Dodge isn't already in. As far as Ready, I'd be fine with just readying an attack or cantrip when an appropriate target presented itself. It would need to be added to the Reaction System, ideally. Otherwise, the casual player wouldn't know it would expend their reaction. I suppose the casual player also wouldn't know readying a spell would break concentration either though, but I don't know how they'd implement it in the end.

L
addict
addict
L
The game has some code for dodge. Modders have already added the rules in.

As for ready an action. One option: at the cost of your reaction you can delay your turn ( go later in the turn order so you let the enemy run up so you can attack them).

More difficult option: use your reaction to set up an attack when an enemy comes into range. You might just pick first enemy to approach or maybe pick a specific enemy. Maybe you pick an area, a cone, and you automatically attack the first enemy that enters that area until your next turn.

F
addict
addict
F
Dodge can exploit weaknesses in AI if not taken into account.

A high AC character can dodge past foes to draw OA for rest of party to not need to disengage. If the AI fixates on a PC you can use dodge to leverage better action economy. This gets exploitive if the party is ranged with one high AC dodger drawing agro. Then there’s the end of fight where the repetitive smart money is to just dodge while rest of party chips foes down.

addict
Online Content
addict
What is the utility of the "Ready"action? No asking sarcastically just trying to understand.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ranxerox
What is the utility of the "Ready"action? No asking sarcastically just trying to understand.

You don't want to move your fighter because he is blocking a door to protect your weaker character. Ennemies are not engaged yet and you don't want to loose your action : you use ready and plan a melee attack on the first ennemy that engage you.

You don't want to move your wizard closer to the ennemy for a reason so you use ready and cast the spell you defined on the first ennemy entering your range.

I guess there are a lot more use in the TT but in Solasta it is basically an improved overwatch skill, which is always gpod to have in turn based games imo.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 09/03/23 04:59 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
F
addict
addict
F
Ready is essential to combat the likes of shadows and wraiths that move in and out of floors and walls, plus swooping flying creatures. Otherwise you can't target the former and can only do ranged attacks against the latter.

addict
Online Content
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by Ranxerox

You don't want to move your fighter because he is blocking a door to protect your weaker character. Ennemies are not engaged yet and you don't want to loose your action : you use ready and plan a melee attack on the first ennemy that engage you.

You don't want to move your wizard closer to the ennemy for a reason so you use ready and cast the spell you defined on the first ennemy entering your range.

I guess there are a lot more use in the TT but in Solasta it is basically an improved overwatch skill, which is always gpod to have in turn based games imo.
Originally Posted by FreeTheSlaves
Ready is essential to combat the likes of shadows and wraiths that move in and out of floors and walls, plus swooping flying creatures. Otherwise you can't target the former and can only do ranged attacks against the latter.

Tks

veteran
veteran
Not a problem if you don't have truly flying creatures in your video game!

Or in general change the abilities of creatures that'd otherwise rely on PCs readied actions to defeat (e.g., Phase Spiders).

There is no reason Dodge shouldn't be in BG3. It's a core action.
Ready is a bit more difficult, but with the reaction system in BG3 it should be relatively simple to add at least a basic Ready functionality. I like the suggestion above that essentially you can use your reaction to Delay.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 09/03/23 07:27 PM.
F
addict
addict
F
That's right, ready is platform dependent. Imo, it's not really missed in BG3 as it currently plays.

Dodge is matching action to Help, not many people are asking for that one. These are tactical actions that are currently simulated by withdrawing a distance to trigger enemies to dash, or simply bonus action hiding.

Dodge's place in the monk class deserves special consideration.

Sure, the extra tactical edge Help and Dodge give would be appreciated by us with rules mastery. But I'd want monsters to use or account for these too, I wouldn't want an edge to become exploit.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Dodge should be super easy to implement and it's not like people would HATE having another option in fights, right?
Ready is probably harder to implement but given they have a reaction system I find it hard to believe it wouldn't work.

apprentice
apprentice
We urgently need a READY action for the gameplay dynamics.

I believe that the vast majority of tactical RPGs have this option or something similar.

I remember how necessary it was to use this in XCOM and Shadowrunners.

Honestly, I don't see why it hasn't been implemented yet.

Combat strategies would become much more complex and complete.

M
M
+1 both dodge and ready action are on my wishlist for this game

O
stranger
stranger
O
Dodge can exploit weaknesses in AI if not taken into account.

A high AC character can dodge past foes to draw OA for rest of party to not need to disengage. If the AI fixates on a PC you can use dodge to leverage better action economy. This gets exploitive if the party is ranged with one high AC dodger drawing agro. Then there’s the end of fight where the repetitive smart money is to just dodge while rest of party chips foes down.

The concern with this is real. For example if stealth stays on a bonus action and the AI is as bad on release as it is now at finding stealthed characters, it is very easy and boring to exploit dodge.

Ready action should be a thing though, if only as an overwatch mechanic. The shared initiative we can sometimes take advantage of is not nearly enough. It would reward positional gameplay in a more satisfying way. Maybe the AI could profit here as well, since it does feel a bit dumb when everyone and their mother just dashes on top of my fighter or paladin when they can't get in range to attack.

Link Copied to Clipboard