Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 30 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 30
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz
Im exited for Starfield too but I have to think that it probably won’t be worth the price of admission until months after release.
Well, it will be on gamepass, so not a reason not to give it a quick look. Being Bethesda game I don't expect it to keep me occupied for too long.

veteran
veteran
If it is Spacerim it really won’t fully flower until the modding community has had a go

I couldn’t imagine ever playing Skyrim without Sky-UI, Starfield will probably be the same

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Roktar
BG3 is targeted for another more mature audience.

*Looks at BG3 subreddit full of fanart and meme posts*

riight, the more 'mature' audience.

addict
addict
Will buy and play both. One for a week then another for a week or as my chaotic whims direct me smile

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
BG3 is targeted for another more mature audience.

*Looks at BG3 subreddit full of fanart and meme posts*

riight, the more 'mature' audience.
Pointing at Reddit is cheating, every game sub is like that.

addict
addict
Starfield looks so sci-fi generic, I don't know why people are so looking forward to it. It has the worst things of all the other sci fi games and combat is super boring and unimpactful.

Shooters and first person shooters are for kids, BG3 is targeted for another more mature audience.

Got a good chuckcle at this. BG3...Mature???? (because of the silly Disney flavor cartoon sex and blood ?!? really?) The game is so incredibly immature on so many levels. First being THIS IS A LARIAN GAME lol!
Like are we talking about 8 to 12 year old mature or 13 to 21 year old mature? Cause Im not seing any <mature> content that goes above that.
Not even mentioning Larian's OWN social media pages (particularly Instagram, Facebook) were the stuff they post is on level with 8 year pee pee jokes maturity.

Starfield in ALL levels destroy Larian at all maturity contests.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 12/03/23 08:18 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
Playing Cyberpunk, Hogwarts, Diablo 4 (beta soon), FF14 and Horizon Zero Dawn while I wait.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
Starfield looks so sci-fi generic, I don't know why people are so looking forward to it. It has the worst things of all the other sci fi games and combat is super boring and unimpactful.

Shooters and first person shooters are for kids, BG3 is targeted for another more mature audience.

Got a good chuckcle at this. BG3...Mature???? (because of the silly Disney flavor cartoon sex and blood ?!? really?) The game is so incredibly immature on so many levels. First being THIS IS A LARIAN GAME lol!
Like are we talking about 8 to 12 year old mature or 13 to 21 year old mature? Cause Im not seing any <mature> content that goes above that.
Not even mentioning Larian's OWN social media pages (particularly Instagram, Facebook) were the stuff they post is on level with 8 year pee pee jokes maturity.

It's funny I was just going over the differences between DOS2 and BG3 on reddit and one of the things i mentioned was that BG3 is a LOT less silly than DOS2 "but that some people refuse to see it"

Objectively Bg3 is a lot more mature and less silly, there is no 4th wall breaking, no self-referential humor, that snarky narrator from DOS is gone. There is still humor but it's not over the top ridiculous stuff like that dumb squirrel riding a skeletal cat.

DOS2 felt like it wasn't taking its own story seriously. There is a lot more gravitas in Bg3 and its story because this is a team that understands what is at stake. That this story is now D&D Cannon forever.

If you can't see that then that would be a you problem. Although spare me the irony on a guy named after the most ridiculous/silly character in Bg2*.

*Granted jan Jansen worked because the silliness was a cover for his aggressive behavior and violent schemes to overthrow despots and villains.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran

+1

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
It's funny I was just going over the differences between DOS2 and BG3 on reddit and one of the things i mentioned was that BG3 is a LOT less silly than DOS2 "but that some people refuse to see it"
No doubt about it. Than again D:OS1&2 were VERY silly, and a lot of it's DNA was retained in gameplay and "style". I don't think BG3 is as cohesive as D:OS1&2 were.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
I think Wormerine is onto something with that. The gameplay style is sillier than the world and story around it.

veteran
veteran
I am playing WotR now, and it is just as silly as BG3. A bunch of mimics showed up and wanted to be part of my court. I let them join, and now when I walk around court, there are random pieces of furniture sitting around. hahaha

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I am playing WotR now, and it is just as silly as BG3. A bunch of mimics showed up and wanted to be part of my court. I let them join, and now when I walk around court, there are random pieces of furniture sitting around. hahaha
Isn't it an azata exclusive thing? WotR has its dedicated "silly" paths in the forms of the trickster and the azata.
It also has its incomplete paths with gold dragon and devil, and its sociopath classes with swarm and lich. Overall, paths in this game are a mess...

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I feel like there's a difference between humor and "silly."
One is the manipulation of expectations to achieve comedic effect.
The other is to manipulate the tone of the story and suspension of disbelief for comedic effect.
RPGs can have humor and still be serious/mature.
But if they fuck with tone and suspension of disbelief in the story, then the "butt of the joke" is the plot. Which makes it silly.
Does that make sense?

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Revising what I said earlier about pulling back the release date:
BG3 is releasing close to Starfield, and Starfield is BY FAR the heaviest hitter in the RPG space in Q3. Q2 has some hitters. Releasing after Starfield is a mistake. I would move to a mid-August release absolutely if looking for a media-monopolized debut for RPGs. Releasing at the same time as a "major" game from a "major" studio in the same genre is a huge mistake. Give BG3 an extra week or two of legs please.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I would move to a mid-August release absolutely if looking for a media-monopolized debut for RPGs. Releasing at the same time as a "major" game from a "major" studio in the same genre is a huge mistake.
Is it in the same genre though? One is coop, top down, turn based D&D RPG, and another is… what, an open universe space exploration game with unknown degree of RPG systems? I know Bethesda said they are coming back to their RPG roots (would that be Morrowind?) but I still don’t know what they mean exactly.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I would move to a mid-August release absolutely if looking for a media-monopolized debut for RPGs. Releasing at the same time as a "major" game from a "major" studio in the same genre is a huge mistake.
Is it in the same genre though? One is coop, top down, turn based D&D RPG, and another is… what, an open universe space exploration game with unknown degree of RPG systems? I know Bethesda said they are coming back to their RPG roots (would that be Morrowind?) but I still don’t know what they mean exactly.
Better safe than sorry.
Also it's not just about being the exact same game; it's about competing for online attention. Youtubers, streamers, journalists, pop culture, social media, it's all important in monopolizing attention for a single genre.

veteran
veteran

And Starfield isn't out and you haven't played it. What are you even talking about? Look, Bethesda is like the Nickelback of the gaming world. A lot of people with zero actual taste or skill at games like it because it is so vanilla and unthreatening - by design.

If you'd had said Elden Ring I might have taken you seriously, but we both know how you'd have fared in that game.

"You're VH1, Robocop 2 and Back to the Future 3. You're the center slice of a square cheese pizza. Actually, that sounds delicious. I'm the center slice of a square cheese pizza. You're Jim Belushi."

Evil Abed.

Blackheifer
old hand
old hand
It is difficult to compare games like Elden Ring and Starfield or maybe Skyrim. Many people like "Souls games", for whatever reason. But judging all games by the extent they are demanding on finger wiggling and the ability to enjoy the die-and-repeat-hamster wheel-mechanic is not appropiate.

I bought BG3 at EA release, would buy it immediately at release if I hadn't it already, and I will buy Starfield at release, the dates are not important. Both are surely quite a different experience. SciFi games are not even my main interest, I prefer environments where you can run around more scarcely clothed (mature, isn't it?). But I'm just curious about the exploration aspect of the game, sounds promising. Then wait for mods. I can already say that I most probably don't like the HUD of Starfield, I prefer to see nothing, especially no fat crosshair or hit markers or ammo and stats infos, on my screen. I'm also curious wether Bethesda this time succeeded to model the human feet, from their former games one has to conclude that all of their artists/programmers lack this ability.

If Larian would release earlier (they will not), for marketing reasons, that would be fantastic, less time to wait. grin

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by geala
Many people like "Souls games", for whatever reason.
Being genuinely GREAT helps a lot.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 27 of 30 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 30

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard