Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
enthusiast
enthusiast
Led Zeppelin out of place in fantasy? I admit I lol’d at that.

They ref Tolkien, Norse mythology, Greek mythology, and Arthurian legends in their songs. Those British boys loved the fantasy vibe.

Hell, Jimmy Paige basically dressed like wizard most of the time. Silver moons and stars twinkling on those bell bottoms? He loved it! 😝

Last edited by timebean; 16/03/23 01:54 AM.
veteran
veteran
I have low expectations for a D&D movie. If it's like A Knight's Tale but D&D, I'll be thrilled.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by timebean
They ref Tolkien, Norse mythology, Greek mythology, and Arthurian legends in their songs. Those British boys loved the fantasy vibe.
I have no doubt that this true. I also have no doubt that this is not the reason "Whole Lotta Love" was picked for the clip.

My best guess is that it's a throw-back favorite of some decision-maker associated with the show who never saw Led Zeppelin "live." If anyone does know why it was picked, I would genuinely love to know. Until then, I'll have to assume it's a lot cheaper to source classic rock than to write an original score.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TheOtherTed
If anyone does know why it was picked, I would genuinely love to know.
Because Thor:Ragnarok used “Immigrant song”?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Funny… I think the exact opposite. Anyone who knows anything about classic rock knows Zeppelin = rockerboy fantasy. Just watch the hilarious “fantasy dream sequences” in the Song Remains the Same rockumentary. The moment I heard Zeppelin, I smiled nostalgically and thought “makes perfect sense for a DnD movie”.

My mind did not go to marvel movies because I don’t watch them. If anything, I recalled Sabatoge (Beastie Boys) in the Star Trek trailers. Why that song? Because the director knew his audience (old sci fi nerds).

It is entirely possible that it was cheaper than a new score as you say (tho I am sure there will be a score in the film). However, I do think it is more likely that zepplin was chosen for fantasy connotations for old dnd nerds rather than trying to be like marvel movies (with their different audiences).

Similar to how Dark Side of the Moon was used for Dune (for more complicated reasons, of course). I think these decisions are usually well thought out…even for cheesy cash grabs.

Last edited by timebean; 16/03/23 12:04 PM.
P
addict
Online Content
addict
P
I've been waiting for a movie to use Blind Guardian's the Bard's Song for their trailer/montage for many years now, but I guess they just aren't known well enough, or are too recent for big studios.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I want some Uriah Heap —The Wizard or Rainbow Demon, personally!! 😝

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by timebean
Funny… I think the exact opposite. Anyone who knows anything about classic rock knows Zeppelin = rockerboy fantasy. Just watch the hilarious “fantasy dream sequences” in the Song Remains the Same rockumentary. The moment I heard Zeppelin, I smiled nostalgically and thought “makes perfect sense for a DnD movie”.

My mind did not go to marvel movies because I don’t watch them. If anything, I recalled Sabatoge (Beastie Boys) in the Star Trek trailers. Why that song? Because the director knew his audience (old sci fi nerds).

It is entirely possible that it was cheaper than a new score as you say (tho I am sure there will be a score in the film). However, I do think it is more likely that zepplin was chosen for fantasy connotations for old dnd nerds rather than trying to be like marvel movies (with their different audiences).

Similar to how Dark Side of the Moon was used for Dune (for more complicated reasons, of course). I think these decisions are usually well thought out…even for cheesy cash grabs.
Yup. Led Zeppelin is my GOAT rock band, and I totally agree.

Originally Posted by Wormerine
If anyone does know why it was picked, I would genuinely love to know.
Again, a great match for that movie given Immigrant Song's lyrics. Plus, it is such an awesome-cool song!! smile

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
That song makes pretty clear references to the Norse. What fantasy-themed references does "Whole Lotta Love" make?

Don't get me wrong, I car-dance to Zeppelin on the regular - but that song doesn't seem to match any context in the clip - aside from being fast-paced.

enthusiast
enthusiast
That song makes pretty clear references to the Norse. What fantasy-themed references does "Whole Lotta Love" make?

Don't get me wrong, I car-dance to Zeppelin on the regular - but that song doesn't seem to match any context in the clip - aside from being fast-paced.

I thought it was just a tongue in cheek reference to led zepps hilarious role playing fantasy sequences in their rockumentary (they were soooo bad! Lol). However, I did not know Immigrant Song was used in Marvel trailers, so entirely possible they are just jumping on the classic rock song for trailers bandwagon.

But I mean…look at these silly boys! 😝

[Linked Image from content.invisioncic.com]

[Linked Image from content.invisioncic.com]

Last edited by timebean; 16/03/23 03:31 PM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Heh, all they need is an 18-inch Stonehenge and a couple of leprechauns dancing around...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Heh, all they need is an 18-inch Stonehenge and a couple of leprechauns dancing around...

🤣

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Thor: Ragnarok was five years ago. I think if there's any bandwagon being hopped on, it's not Thor's. I'm also quite certain it wasn't the first trailer for something fantasy-ish or fantastical to use a rock or otherwise seemingly incongruous song in its trailer.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Here is an actual uninterrupted clip of the movie. Good stuff in here.

Blackheifer
P
addict
Online Content
addict
P
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Thor: Ragnarok was five years ago. I think if there's any bandwagon being hopped on, it's not Thor's. I'm also quite certain it wasn't the first trailer for something fantasy-ish or fantastical to use a rock or otherwise seemingly incongruous song in its trailer.

If anything, Ragnarok was continuing the trend started by the first two avengers movies.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Here is an actual uninterrupted clip of the movie. Good stuff in here.

That’s fun.

R
R
Originally Posted by Sozz
If you had to choose one city in FR to have a Rome style HBO miniseries set in, which would it be?
I would say Bezantur, deprived Thay would make for an interesting Rome style miniseries.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Where are those stellar reviews? Yes it has a good score on RT, but many of the fresh reviews are 6/10 and not 8/10.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ixal
Where are those stellar reviews? Yes it has a good score on RT, but many of the fresh reviews are 6/10 and not 8/10.
Unlike gaming journalist movie reviews don’t shy from rating mediocre films as mediocre. I don’t think anyone expects it to be a classic of fantasy adventures - just an entertaining generic licenced flick.

addict
addict
I will watch it...have seen all the DnD flops so far. Why can't someone do DnD like Game of Thrones or like LotR: Two Towers? Why can't we have an epic DnD move with a good story/plot?

This movie feels like someone asked a bunch of DnD fans what they liked then someone made a checklist. Displacer beast, check. Mimic, check. Dragon, check. Gelatinous cube, check.

I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard