Next Thread
Print Thread
I
ioci Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I
So, it is it, full release on Sep -1. But there are still many mechanics in the Act 1 show case that aren't polished.

1. Exp gain:
the exp gaining pace is way too fast. For higher difficulty options, I hope it's about exp gain reduction instead of making enemy hit harder and harder to kill. For example, remove the exp gain from killing enemies. or making exp gain from killing irrelevant to whole party. Otherwise why would I want to use worm power to command the gnoll queen? I can simply kill them all because my party is so strong.

2. Quest Reward:
I hate the MMORPG style of quest reward selection in this game. It's killing BG3. For instance, there is a NPC before meeting Nere, if you give her back her boots, she will offer you a quest reward, but you get none of those reward if you simply kill her.

3. Vendor:
vendors got tons of gold and buying everything. Also the economy is broken, and none of them's inventory actually tells story that match the background. They are just so isolated from BG3. Lame.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by ioci
why would I want to use worm power to command the gnoll queen?
Ever heard about "roleplaying"? Its even in the game genre name, RPG > Role-playing-game ...
So that would be one reason.

Different outcome, since it would be quite boring to replay game exactly the same way imho. O_o

And finaly, to get your XP ... since, as far as i know, if you do, you get XP for killing her, and some bonus XP on top of that. laugh

she will offer you a quest reward, but you get none of those reward if you simply kill her.
Agreed ...
Items should not materialize from thin air, we should have options to steal them, loot them, or get them as rewards.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
the exp gaining pace is way too fast.

It's hard to tell if it's fast or slow pace since we don't know how much of the content from the full game is EA covering

veteran
veteran
1. Exp gain:
the exp gaining pace is way too fast. For higher difficulty options, I hope it's about exp gain reduction instead of making enemy hit harder and harder to kill. For example, remove the exp gain from killing enemies.
I wouldn’t worry about XP gain for now - pacing XP should be as simple as Larian checking how much XP they have per chapter, deciding how fast they want players to progress and tweaking the numbers appropriately. There are a multitude of reasons why XP gain might have been set like that for a testing build.

XP gain not being granted when sparing enemies is an issue. A minor one, but still. XP for kills is always a troublesome system - if solving quests without combat gives XP, that usually the optimal thing to do is to kill NPC involved for additional XP. Again, minor issue but still a sloppy design.

I prefer if XP is granted for completing tasks rather than usual actions (Deus Ex, Pillars of Eternity) - that way game encourages roleplaying/efficient play rather than none sense all play. Alas, it seems so many people are trained to expect XP after each kill that they fail to see the truth hehe

2. Quest Reward:
I hate the MMORPG style of quest reward selection in this game. It's killing BG3. For instance, there is a NPC before meeting Nere, if you give her back her boots, she will offer you a quest reward, but you get none of those reward if you simply kill her.
Yeah, I don’t like the feel of the system either. You also highlight this annoying inconsistency in BG3 design. On one hand Larian seems values systemic consistency to the point of breaking the balance of their games. On the other hand, they also completely disregard any systemic logic at random points for whatever reason.

I
ioci Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I
Originally Posted by Bardhuk
the exp gaining pace is way too fast.

It's hard to tell if it's fast or slow pace since we don't know how much of the content from the full game is EA covering
The combat encounters' difficulty and how much actual challenge each of them poses to the player party will tell if the exp gaining pace was fast or slow.
For example, if I kill those 3 cambions and 2 mind flayers on the ship, I will quickly get to lvl 3 after landing. Means the combats in ruin temple will pose even less challenge. And if I don't kill any of them on ship, then I will only reach lvl 3 after clearing both the ruin temple and the goblins at the gate. I think it makes a big difference since, each lvl up gives quite some HP and useful skills. With only lvl 2, charge blindly into those skeletons might still cause one or more man downed during this encounter, but if I got lvl 3, charging blindly into them will be quite a safe thing to do. With lvl3, I can easily cleave through blight village with little to no problem, but if I only have lvl2 at the time, then the windmill fight and the ogre fight can still pose great challenge even I ambush them. When I reach the Goblin Camp, having a party of lvl3 or lvl4 will make a great difference as well(if not using the explosive barrel to cheese). Goblins usually do less than 6dmg per turn each, lvl4 means extra HP, extra feat and extra skills. So, a lvl4 party can quickly clear the swarm while even the HP of Gale can endure any of these swarm fight, piece of cake. But if I only have lvl 3, I may want to first save the druid and then with the help of him clear the threat of goblins.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
why would I want to use worm power to command the gnoll queen?
Ever heard about "roleplaying"? Its even in the game genre name, RPG > Role-playing-game ...
So that would be one reason.

Different outcome, since it would be quite boring to replay game exactly the same way imho. O_o

And finaly, to get your XP ... since, as far as i know, if you do, you get XP for killing her, and some bonus XP on top of that. laugh
Exactly, the roleplaying. If I got obviously overpowered the foe, then I don't get the needs for outsmart such foe due to the roleplay. The first time I met the gnoll queen, I did use the worm trick. The second time I further command her to kill the zhentarian guards. But the third time, I get tried to fight them gnolls all together, and here comes the frustration: the fight is too easy unless I walk into them directly through the lower valley, making me don't want to trick the gnoll queen ever again even on my Absolute's pawn run. So, I think for Act1, the game either need to lower the player's exp gaining pace to make the player meeting them with only less than lvl4, or make bosses having at least one more lvl.

Originally Posted by Wormerine
I prefer if XP is granted for completing tasks rather than usual actions (Deus Ex, Pillars of Eternity) - that way game encourages roleplaying/efficient play rather than none sense all play. Alas, it seems so many people are trained to expect XP after each kill that they fail to see the truth hehe
+1
PoE's exp gaining system is quite solid. Killing enemies only brought exp for a limit of times for each type, while finishing the quest one way or another was the main exp income source, which as an additional perk, makes pacing the exp gain became a more doable job for the designer. (Haven't played DE)
Some other game such as Colony Ship or Elder Scroll has a Use-to-Improve exp system which is also smart, making talker a better talker, fighter a better fighter, too bad it won't fit in with DnD ruleset. Especially not for BG3, in which everyone can do everything including using a scroll. Oh man I miss old BGs where I can be too dumb to read.

Link Copied to Clipboard