Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
ioci Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I
Now I'm doing a run with only 2 companions, because haven't figure out anything else to increase the combat difficulty. And there are 5 months left til full release.

journeyman
journeyman
There won't be any big patches only little updates, 9 was the last patch

My Name is Regulator and im a Hoarder in the lands of Faerûn.

how much stuff is to much stuff, because its certainly not enough stuff.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Technically, you can play the release version of the first act 3 days before release with the special edition. Other than that, no.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by snowram
Technically, you can play the release version of the first act 3 days before release with the special edition. Other than that, no.

sweeeeeet

My Name is Regulator and im a Hoarder in the lands of Faerûn.

how much stuff is to much stuff, because its certainly not enough stuff.
I
ioci Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I
Thanks, guess they are really focus on the delivery.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Are those of us who have pre-ordered the game getting those free 3 days early? I know they mentioned we get the DOS2 inspired items which is neat as they will make act 1 more fun. I am hoping that we get an option to meme around and set up some skins for tav that have weapons directly inspired by act 3 dos gear.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by AusarViled
Are those of us who have pre-ordered the game getting those free 3 days early? I know they mentioned we get the DOS2 inspired items which is neat as they will make act 1 more fun. I am hoping that we get an option to meme around and set up some skins for tav that have weapons directly inspired by act 3 dos gear.

Yes, everyone who has preordered will be getting early access to the full version of act one three days early.

addict
addict
I don't think we get any more content patches, but I wouldn't be surprised to see hot fixes and bug fixes. On the other hand, the farther(further?) their dev code changes beyond patch 9, the more likely it breaks existing content, so maybe not?

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
I don't think we get any more content patches, but I wouldn't be surprised to see hot fixes and bug fixes. On the other hand, the farther(further?) their dev code changes beyond patch 9, the more likely it breaks existing content, so maybe not?

I think it would be wise of Larian to not touch the Early Access content - but rather start to trickle out information at various events and a Panel From Hell.

- XBox announcement.
- However many other companions there are at launch.
- Any secret races or classes that they might have been working on.
- Multi-classing if it is going to be included at launch.

So on, so on. They can tease stuff without actually putting it in the game to keep the interest high.

L
addict
addict
L
This is what I'm expecting. We won't see monk, Half-orcs, Playable Origin characters, new companions etc before release from the player's perspective, but they will reveal them before release. I can't imagine a scenario where Larian keeps stuff like playable races/classes/characters secret until release day.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Don't expect any more content in the full game than what we have seen or what has been annnounced recently (within 1 year at most)

Everything else sets you up for disappointment.

veteran
veteran
Larian have dropped hints but little actual details
there should be no more patches but they said before that there would be so decide whuch time you pick to beleave them as already noted we didn't get the things they said we would like Monk etc but its the lack of testing that worries me... patch 9 actually busted the launcher making the game unplayable and Larian had to race back from Xmas break to work out how they fucked it up

will we get more content \ early access or special items = maybe

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I thought Swen quite specificaly told us that there will be nothing till full release. O_o

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
That's what I got from it, too. But Larian also said that Act 1 in the release would offer something new even to people who played EA to death. That cannot just be the Monk class or a new ugly race. Wether it will be new story content, even more superfluous magical stuff, less superfluous magical stuff or just a new color of an armor, who knows? I'm curious.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
So ...
I rewatched last PFH ... and i find out that i was wrong!
Can you imagine? Yeah, me neither. laugh laugh laugh

Swen indeed said that Patch 9 is last "big content patch" ... so i gues we can forget about races, classes, subclasses, levels, zones and other stuff ...
But he also said that there is possibility that they will release some small mechanic contest for us to test, bcs they still have some ideas they would like to try. O_o

I
ioci Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
So ...
I rewatched last PFH ... and i find out that i was wrong!
Can you imagine? Yeah, me neither. laugh laugh laugh

Swen indeed said that Patch 9 is last "big content patch" ... so i gues we can forget about races, classes, subclasses, levels, zones and other stuff ...
But he also said that there is possibility that they will release some small mechanic contest for us to test, bcs they still have some ideas they would like to try. O_o
Oh, I wish these small mechanic contests to be:
1. vendor rework, including the vendor inventory, the trade/bargain interaction,;
2. hotkey bar and inventory system rework;
3. MMORPG-ish quest reward rework

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by ioci
1. vendor rework, including the vendor inventory
If you mean by this what i think you mean ...

And that is that Vendors should have all their stuff on themselves, so we can either buy ... or steal ... or loot after we kill them any of it.
Then im affraid that is not going to happen, since that was the case in early builds ... and it was (to my sadness) quite fast changed to curent state.
Probably in order to make it little harder for people to get ridiculously rich. :-/ Wich is still ridiculously easy, but at least they tryed. laugh

I
ioci Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I
Yep, I did mean that. But I think the only natural way to prevent player party getting ridiculously rich is by doing the following tweaks:
1. not letting vendors buying everything;
2. not letting vendors' cashier box & inventory replenish every time we take long rest;
3. making the vendors to have reasonable inventory and cash amount;
4. not letting trash item to worth anything at all.

For example:
the Tyr's paladin vendor, why does she have that many gold pieces with her and why is she willing to buy anything? She should only accept supplies like food, scrolls, potions and bombs.
the tiefling blacksmith, he probably should have some decent amount of gold pieces so he can restart his business in BG, but why would he buying more armors and weapons that would only add needless weight for his journey? He should only trading his armors and weapons for things like rings, gems and jewelries because these are easier to carry and he can later use these into his craft after he setup a proper workshop.
the druid vendor, he should only have very little gold and all he sell should be just some food and basic weapons that the druid circle could share and even charging them at very low price.

The game's current solution is making disappear the gold pieces and the named unique items. It doesn't work well. For example that paladin vendor, I can sell everything I have to her, take long rest, keep selling everything to her, then kill her and loot everything back, a repetitive dull work, but still easily getting ridiculously rich in the end. So, in fact, it doesn't work at all. Hope they can try harder. xD

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ioci
But I think the only natural way to prevent player party getting ridiculously rich is by doing the following tweaks:
1. not letting vendors buying everything;
2. not letting vendors' cashier box & inventory replenish every time we take long rest;
3. making the vendors to have reasonable inventory and cash amount;
4. not letting trash item to worth anything at all.
[...]
For example that paladin vendor, I can sell everything I have to her, take long rest, keep selling everything to her, then kill her and loot everything back, a repetitive dull work, but still easily getting ridiculously rich in the end. So, in fact, it doesn't work at all. Hope they can try harder. xD
Alternatively, make vendors appropriately powerful and/or the consequences for stealing severe enough.

A vendor that has magic (or any valuable) items should probably be some combination of personally powerful, has hired guards, and/or owns a hard-to-pick lockbox.

A vendor that routinely notices stuff missing (things are stolen from them 2 or maybe 3 times while you're in the area) stops doing business with you and becomes significantly more wary when you're around. Possibly they tell the guards/locals their suspicions, decreasing everyone's attitude toward you.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Alternatively, make vendors appropriately powerful and/or the consequences for stealing severe enough.

A vendor that has magic (or any valuable) items should probably be some combination of personally powerful, has hired guards, and/or owns a hard-to-pick lockbox.

A vendor that routinely notices stuff missing (things are stolen from them 2 or maybe 3 times while you're in the area) stops doing business with you and becomes significantly more wary when you're around. Possibly they tell the guards/locals their suspicions, decreasing everyone's attitude toward you.

The "problem" with all these good suggestions is that they start from the assumption that Larian wants to prevent or at least contain exploits.
Disappointingly enough this couldn't be further from Larian's goals, which is to embrace and endorse exploits as a way to "reward" players for "being clever", as Swen Vincke confirmed explicitly in several circumstances, like his famous DOS 2 post-mortem presentation at GDC. Here it is, directly from the horse's mouth (57:36).

"We did it on purpose. We did it because we know players like to glitch the game, so..."

What this angle doesn't take into account, sadly, is that players will always find ways to break systems and exploit mechanics anyway, so ideally the designer's work should be to minimize the holes in the keg to avoid the spilling, rather than adding their own drilling on the wood to make it more amusing.

Last edited by Tuco; 20/03/23 07:41 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard