Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#847909 21/03/23 03:20 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've been limping along in "lowest settings" for 3 years now.

Since it is finally set for August, I took the plunge and ordered https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gam...CWulQm-HRNoyRokZitX6Wvx_0bUqTYAj6CC8_gsQ

OMYGoodness it is better than night n day the actual play now. (Still can't figure out how to look Up in the world)

This game rocks and I cannot wait to lose a lot of sleep in August 2023!

Thanks Larian.

When in doubt, read the instructions.
veteran
veteran
wow that overpriced but the cpu and Gpu will halp... a Windows 10 OS would run better but extra Ram and a faster drive [later down the road] should help play your modern games

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
veteran
veteran
Yeah, that's should be a complete overkill for most titles. If you don't have one I recommend a nice freesync/gsync screen to take advantage of high framerates. It funny how I suddenly got much better in competitive games since I am not running games in sub 60FPS.

old hand
old hand
Computers seem to be cheaper in the US than in my country. well

Nice machine, but what I do not like is the small SSD. The memories of my computers sooner or later always become clogged. Because my PC is some years old and the possibility of blackouts becomes more real in recent times I considered getting this: ASUS ROG Strix SCAR G16 G634JZ-NM002W, 16" WQXGA IPS, Intel Core i9-13980HX, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, RTX 4080, Windows 11, it's about 3,800 €. However actually I don't necessarily need a notebook that much and it's difficult to convince myself to buy. grin

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SoKel Galanodel
I've been limping along in "lowest settings" for 3 years now.

Since it is finally set for August, I took the plunge and ordered https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gam...CWulQm-HRNoyRokZitX6Wvx_0bUqTYAj6CC8_gsQ

OMYGoodness it is better than night n day the actual play now. (Still can't figure out how to look Up in the world)

This game rocks and I cannot wait to lose a lot of sleep in August 2023!

Thanks Larian.

That's a beauty, and should last you a good while. What are you doing for monitors?

With a system that good you really want to invest in a high end primary monitor.

Blackheifer
apprentice
apprentice
Dude, you're buying a beast of a PC!
Here in Brazil, PCs and peripherals are overpriced.

I believe that with the same amount of money over there, you can get something much better (maybe not as beautiful as this one, though...).

Anyway, it's a great acquisition, but as some have already mentioned, it's no use having such a beauty if you don't have a nice 240Hz monitor! LOL!

And while we're at it, is there really any difference in FPS for cross-platform games like this? I understand that a PS5 can reach a maximum of 120fps, so the game was probably optimized for that limit. Does it really benefit me to increase the FPS to 144 (like my monitor)?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aurimas_IGL
Dude, you're buying a beast of a PC!
Here in Brazil, PCs and peripherals are overpriced.

I believe that with the same amount of money over there, you can get something much better (maybe not as beautiful as this one, though...).

Anyway, it's a great acquisition, but as some have already mentioned, it's no use having such a beauty if you don't have a nice 240Hz monitor! LOL!

And while we're at it, is there really any difference in FPS for cross-platform games like this? I understand that a PS5 can reach a maximum of 120fps, so the game was probably optimized for that limit. Does it really benefit me to increase the FPS to 144 (like my monitor)?

I would say a 144mhz/IPS display would probably be the best for Bg3 to really make those colors pop.

If I were buying it I would go for an Acer Predator XB283K. It's not inexpensive though.

Blackheifer
apprentice
apprentice
So when I talk about FPS, I'm referring to the fluidity of the frame rate. For example, in a game like Counter-Strike, a FPS of 60 will disadvantage you because the character enters your screen at a slower speed than your opponents who are running the game at 120 FPS.

My question regarding FPS is whether there is really such a big difference in playing an RPG that runs on the PS5 (which is capped at 120fps in primary developments, as far as I know) with more than these 120fps that the game was developed for?

Just to clarify, I play BG3 on a PC capped at 60FPS due to machine performance issues, and I don't see much difference from the times I played with 144FPS (which is my monitor's capacity).

Now, if I were to buy an outstanding monitor, I would aim for the AlienWare AW2521HF, which is one of the best available in Brasil.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aurimas_IGL
So when I talk about FPS, I'm referring to the fluidity of the frame rate. For example, in a game like Counter-Strike, a FPS of 60 will disadvantage you because the character enters your screen at a slower speed than your opponents who are running the game at 120 FPS.

My question regarding FPS is whether there is really such a big difference in playing an RPG that runs on the PS5 (which is capped at 120fps in primary developments, as far as I know) with more than these 120fps that the game was developed for?

Just to clarify, I play BG3 on a PC capped at 60FPS due to machine performance issues, and I don't see much difference from the times I played with 144FPS (which is my monitor's capacity).

Now, if I were to buy an outstanding monitor, I would aim for the AlienWare AW2521HF, which is one of the best available in Brasil.

Yeah, FPS isn't going to make much difference in BG3.

That AW2521HF is a solid monitor, it's also an IPS (In-Plane Switching) display which are really the best for these sorts of games. It's slightly smaller than the Predator, but also less expensive.

Blackheifer
C
C
Hehe, I bet these last few days were really exciting for you. Congrats! I paid 3k on my PC 3 years ago, and now it feels so old considering how fast the technology advances, but still can play everything at highest graphics.So your PC will live to see BG3, GTA6 and Witcher4 in their grandest form.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard