Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
veteran
veteran
W
5th edition barely has any rules regarding alignment. There are a few legendary weapons and items that can change your alignment, and I think that is it.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I know Niara has posted some details about the 5e approach to alignments, and there’s been some interesting debate on these forums about BG3 and alignment, eg

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=828433
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=841967

(A couple of the more recent examples I recall, I think it’s also come up in some of the paladin discussions for example.j

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Commodore_Tyrs
D&D without alignments?

So no alignment based weapons?

I can dig it, but don't see the reason to exclude them. They are in 5e. I'm assuming they didn't want to code it if under time or budget constraints...

Im still very excited for the game though.

It's more that they moved fixed alignments to Outsiders.

So Fiends, Modrons, Celestials and so forth all have fixed alignments. If they have an alignment change they cease to be that creature type. When Zariel fell her alignment changed at the exact same moment as her creature type.

Mortals have individual alignments that can change over time or they have "cultural alignments", which can also change without the creature type changing - it usually just involves 'leaving' that culture. This is how Goblins, Githyanki and so forth can be Neutral or even Good.

I appreciate this more nuanced approach because it opens the door for a lot more starting character race options and more leeway in regards to dealing with different groups. It also severely limits the Lawful Stupid, Self-righteous paladin types. If they run around slaying every "evil" Goblin they see then they will break their Oath.

Finally it makes getting to know characters a part of the game, which opens the door to ambiguity and betrayal. BG1 and 2 did a terrible job handling this.

1. Alignments were a listed character trait - which ruined character interactions.
2. Evil alignments demanded you have a negative reputation, which made no sense.
3. Evil character would actually leave if your were not being chased by guards and couldn't buy from vendors.

Blackheifer
OP Offline
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I know Niara has posted some details about the 5e approach to alignments, and there’s been some interesting debate on these forums about BG3 and alignment, eg

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=828433
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=841967

(A couple of the more recent examples I recall, I think it’s also come up in some of the paladin discussions for example.j

Very interesting reads. TY for those recommendations - time well spent!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
D&D without alignments?

So no alignment based weapons?

I can dig it, but don't see the reason to exclude them. They are in 5e. I'm assuming they didn't want to code it if under time or budget constraints...

Im still very excited for the game though.

It's more that they moved fixed alignments to Outsiders.

So Fiends, Modrons, Celestials and so forth all have fixed alignments. If they have an alignment change they cease to be that creature type. When Zariel fell her alignment changed at the exact same moment as her creature type.

Mortals have individual alignments that can change over time or they have "cultural alignments", which can also change without the creature type changing - it usually just involves 'leaving' that culture. This is how Goblins, Githyanki and so forth can be Neutral or even Good.

I appreciate this more nuanced approach because it opens the door for a lot more starting character race options and more leeway in regards to dealing with different groups. It also severely limits the Lawful Stupid, Self-righteous paladin types. If they run around slaying every "evil" Goblin they see then they will break their Oath.

Finally it makes getting to know characters a part of the game, which opens the door to ambiguity and betrayal. BG1 and 2 did a terrible job handling this.

1. Alignments were a listed character trait - which ruined character interactions.
2. Evil alignments demanded you have a negative reputation, which made no sense.
3. Evil character would actually leave if your were not being chased by guards and couldn't buy from vendors.

I get it. You have a valid argument. No alignment system could uniformly satisfy a D&D fanbase. I played up to 3rd edition on the tabletop. 1st ed 2nd ed & 3rd ed. Alignments would be wicked to code. I love how DDO simplified it. Alignment weapons versus the alignment of the monsters. It works out pretty well, without getting into real time decision making which is very limited in any computer game. This is why tabletop still has life to it. Nothing on a computer beats a great DM in the right tabletop setting. Not going to happen.

For me I'd rather see alignment weapons... and mobs with their own alignments. It adds "color" and depth for me. BUT, its not a deal killer in BG3 to me.

What makes BG3 live or die IMHO is its PARTY PLAY. THAT has to be killer! Solo play is great. But its short lived for most. TEAM PLAY & CAMERADERIE get people coming back for more!

Imagine if D&D were just a solo game. It'd be a quiet table.

Last edited by Commodore_Tyrs; 25/03/23 06:57 AM.
veteran
veteran
[quote=Blackheifer][quote=Commodore_Tyrs]

What makes BG3 live or die IMHO is its PARTY PLAY. THAT has to be killer! Solo play is great. But its short lived for most. TEAM PLAY & CAMERADERIE get people coming back for more!

Imagine if D&D were just a solo game. It'd be a quiet table.

We are 100% in agreement. The Party play in Bg3 is amazing. I was just saying that the long term life of the game will be centered around it's multiplay and whether they can leverage the engine as a platform to make additional adventures.

Single player folks tend to burn through games and then toss them on the pile and move on.

Just thinking of Neverwinter Nights (2003) and how much longevity that game had/has because of it's great multiplayer.

What other CRPG's does your guild do? Mine is mostly DOS2 right now while waiting.

Blackheifer
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
[quote=Commodore_Tyrs][quote=Blackheifer][quote=Commodore_Tyrs]

What other CRPG's does your guild do? Mine is mostly DOS2 right now while waiting.

Path of Exile.

We also launched in MMOs such as DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online), Neverwinter, Elder Scrolls Online, Guild Wars 2 and we are even putting together a Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition group!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard