Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Commodore_Tyrs
I like it but this is D&D. A Dungeon Master narrates! smile (Just having some good-natured fun with this rule) But yes, I get it. FUN is the purpose of D&D, so everyone that reads your rules should GET IT. If you need to tweak something in the future, you will Im sure. This is a newish kind of rule and you must have already had to deal with the scenario. Not everyone likes the Howard Stern Show, or the Tonight Show, or the Bill Burr stand up routine! smile People are here for a D&D experience. BG3 will require GOOD party leaders that encompass the greatest parts of D&D and coop MMOs and even RPGs without going overboard while sticking to the Motus Operandi of your guild rules. This is what I feel a guild can add MOST to the greater BG3 player community. A family of close-knit gamers who's playstyles and same goals are similar or at least on the same wavelength. We have also discovered that enjoyment adds to REPLAYABILITY and keeps guildies coming back for MORE. Thats a good thing for everyone.

Few things here:

1. Bg3 doesn't have a DM mode, and won't have one at launch and may never get one.
2. Self-narration is different than narration. Self-narration is a player telling you everything they are doing and thinking non-stop. Narration is describing the environment and actions of all players. Do you see the difference?
3. It sounds like you have not experienced this or its something you do and are not aware of it. Hopefully the former.
4. Do you guys impose a DM on the Bg3 multiplayer games you play? How does that work?

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
It sounds like you're not interested in joining their group. that's fine, but I'm not sure why you're interrogating the OP here/criticizing their group, move on. It's not a good look for the forums.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
It sounds like you're not interested in joining their group. that's fine, but I'm not sure why you're interrogating the OP here/criticizing their group, move on. It's not a good look for the forums.

Seriously.

veteran
veteran
[a variety of responses]

Thanks for your answers, I appreciate you calming down your tone to speak more candidly. I still felt like I needed to skim past quite a lot of sections where you took breaks to sing your own praises in ways that weren't related to the question on the table - and that made the response harder to read properly and less engaging - but I do appreciate that you listened to my request and made an effort to speak more plainly.

Regarding spoilers, many social platforms would let you designate channels as spoiler free and non-spoiler-free zones, so that may be one avenue you could use to better distinguish things.

Regarding sign-ups and guild-first requirements; I'd recommend looking at the way your formal rules are written to clarify what you mean - your latest explanation makes much better sense and is much less worrisome, but that isn't how the rules as stated currently read, which was the source of my initial concern as a new reader. - I most certainly would not join a guild that implied that it would expect me to sign my daughter up to their membership as well, if I wanted to be in their guild, but also play with her, and that was what it currently implies just as written (I do not have a daughter, this is just a thought experiment).

This guild is still a hard pass at a conceptual level for me, sorry, but hopefully the conversation will allow others to make informed choices.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I like it but this is D&D. A Dungeon Master narrates! smile (Just having some good-natured fun with this rule) But yes, I get it. FUN is the purpose of D&D, so everyone that reads your rules should GET IT. If you need to tweak something in the future, you will Im sure. This is a newish kind of rule and you must have already had to deal with the scenario. Not everyone likes the Howard Stern Show, or the Tonight Show, or the Bill Burr stand up routine! smile People are here for a D&D experience. BG3 will require GOOD party leaders that encompass the greatest parts of D&D and coop MMOs and even RPGs without going overboard while sticking to the Motus Operandi of your guild rules. This is what I feel a guild can add MOST to the greater BG3 player community. A family of close-knit gamers who's playstyles and same goals are similar or at least on the same wavelength. We have also discovered that enjoyment adds to REPLAYABILITY and keeps guildies coming back for MORE. Thats a good thing for everyone.

Few things here:

1. Bg3 doesn't have a DM mode, and won't have one at launch and may never get one.
2. Self-narration is different than narration. Self-narration is a player telling you everything they are doing and thinking non-stop. Narration is describing the environment and actions of all players. Do you see the difference?
3. It sounds like you have not experienced this or its something you do and are not aware of it. Hopefully the former.
4. Do you guys impose a DM on the Bg3 multiplayer games you play? How does that work?

1 & 4. We'll have a party leader that's it. A party leader is essentially a computer version of a DM. They can set the parameters.

2 & 3. We never focus on "self narration." I get it that its your pet peeve. We encourage people to speak during the quest to enhance guild camaraderie. Some people are very shy or introverted. In that case we'll ask people to just LISTEN IN! No need or pressure to talk. We find that days, months or years later some people break out of their shell and feel comfortable enough to talk. We fully support this. As for a player telling you everything they are doing and thinking non-stop? We don't have this issue. Once we had someone that thought they were a talk show host and would take over every conversation and had to be coached and finally dismissed because it was affecting a large swarth of the guild player experience. But other than that we encourage camaraderie!

Last edited by Commodore_Tyrs; 17/03/23 03:53 AM.
OP Offline

I am asking legitimate questions to try to peer past the marketing and get a sense of what this group is about to see if I - as a GM - want to collaborate with them AND to see if I can learn anything from them.

Why are you here? Did you just roll up and decide "I am going to involve myself even though I have nothing to contribute and no understanding of what's going on?"

Look, you are welcome to not interact with me. I think we would both profit from that.

Blackheifer, I've been more than happy to discuss what we are about, but this is OUR GUILD RECRUITMENT THREAD. Its a space where players that are looking for a guild can learn about the Tyrs Paladium guild. You are very much encouraged to fill out a guild recruitment thread of your own and tell prospective guildies what you are looking for. I've been hoping that they create a GUILD SECTION in the forums where players LOOKING FOR A GUILD can research them.

I think we've covered just about every question you've had. Lets continue dialog and strategies in another thread about guild play in BG3. That might be better... I'm very willing to participate.

Last edited by Commodore_Tyrs; 17/03/23 04:23 AM.
veteran
veteran

I am asking legitimate questions to try to peer past the marketing and get a sense of what this group is about to see if I - as a GM - want to collaborate with them AND to see if I can learn anything from them.

Why are you here? Did you just roll up and decide "I am going to involve myself even though I have nothing to contribute and no understanding of what's going on?"

Look, you are welcome to not interact with me. I think we would both profit from that.

Blackheifer, I've been more than happy to discuss what we are about, but this is OUR GUILD RECRUITMENT THREAD. Its a space where players that are looking for a guild can learn about the Tyrs Paladium guild. You are very much encouraged to fill out a guild recruitment thread of your own and tell prospective guildies what you are looking for. I've been hoping they great a GUILD SECTION in the forums where we can do this where players can go research guilds.

I think we've covered just about every question you've had. Lets continue dialog and strategies in another thread about guild play in BG3. That might be better... I'm very willing to participate.

I understand. Good luck with everything.

Blackheifer
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Niara
[a variety of responses]

Thanks for your answers, I appreciate you calming down your tone to speak more candidly. I still felt like I needed to skim past quite a lot of sections where you took breaks to sing your own praises in ways that weren't related to the question on the table - and that made the response harder to read properly and less engaging - but I do appreciate that you listened to my request and made an effort to speak more plainly.

Regarding spoilers, many social platforms would let you designate channels as spoiler free and non-spoiler-free zones, so that may be one avenue you could use to better distinguish things.

Regarding sign-ups and guild-first requirements; I'd recommend looking at the way your formal rules are written to clarify what you mean - your latest explanation makes much better sense and is much less worrisome, but that isn't how the rules as stated currently read, which was the source of my initial concern as a new reader. - I most certainly would not join a guild that implied that it would expect me to sign my daughter up to their membership as well, if I wanted to be in their guild, but also play with her, and that was what it currently implies just as written (I do not have a daughter, this is just a thought experiment).

This guild is still a hard pass at a conceptual level for me, sorry, but hopefully the conversation will allow others to make informed choices.

Ok this is a GUILD RECRUITMENT THREAD. I have chosen to answer questions and respond to your assumpsions in a way that someone who would like to JOIN OUR GUILD can read and learn about the way Tyrs Paladium operates, and to see if it would be a good fit for them. I willingly answered EVERY question and EVERY opinion/accusation. Some of your statements are coming off as trollish to me at this point, I'm sorry Niara.

If you want to continue, let's do it privately or maybe even better in a guild strategy-type thread. I'm there if you post it!

This thread is mainly designed for players LOOKING FOR A GUILD that wish to learn about Tyrs Paladium.

As for our guild rules, we are very comfortable with the way they are written, but I appreciate your input. In fact, we might CLARIFY the friends and family parts because that is a VERY important element that some in the BG3 playerbase might not understand. For those without an MMO background, guilds are a foreign concept. In all the games we are in, our Guild Rules are our bible, quite welcomed to those who enjoy our playstyle, and work fantastically to avoid issues, and a guideline when issues arrise. I appreciate your input and you've given us something to think about for our BG3 Chapter, so I thank you for that.

Last edited by Commodore_Tyrs; 18/03/23 08:14 AM.
OP Offline
Good luck with everything.

Thank you Blackheifer. Back at ya. Im also open to learning ... especially when it comes to our new community here. We are ALL learning.

What's your guild name?

OP Offline
[Linked Image from thesocietypages.org]

Yep, we are Old School. And proud of it.

This is TSR before they were cool, before they were fools.

Many in Tyrs have played pen & paper D&D for many years, and some still do.

We accept players from every walk of life and game experience level. Yet, we are quite selective who we choose. We are looking for people who want to learn, and want to give back to others in the guild. We seek D&D and RPG veterans who share our style of play. We seek those that want to be part of a tight band of brothers and sisters.

Are you an old school gamer? Ever play PnP and/or D&D video games before or currently?

Or, you may be one of the truly brave, such as US Navy and retired Policeman Og.

In Tyrs, you get to play amongst good people who play to have fun. The character we seek is a unique blend, you either have it, or you don't.

If you think you'd be a good fit, and you care about playing hard, having fun, but never leaving your guildie behind, hit me up in the thread, or personal message.

veteran
veteran

Thank you Blackheifer. Back at ya. Im also open to learning ... especially when it comes to our new community here. We are ALL learning.

What's your guild name?

As it turns out we don't release our Guild name publicly as we don't advertise. However, you can call us The Nation.

Our recruitment is solely through online play on the Larian Discord. Our admins are always there evaluating people. If they are good team players with decent interpersonal skills they get an invite. If not, no hard feelings.

Look, if you ever want to discuss logistics on the whole BG3 multiplayer thing, feel free to reach out to me on the Larian discord or here privately. I am still interested in understanding how other people are looking to tackle the unique problems of long term games with BG3 and we are happy to share whatever knowledge we have with you.

"My kind transcends your very understanding. We are each a Nation - independent, free of all weakness. You cannot grasp the nature of our existence."
-Sovereign from Mass Effect

P.S. For the record I wasn't trolling you. I was just excited to meet another guild and wanted to understand you better. We have different ways of doing things but that's fine ofc. Also I don't think Niara was trolling you either, she doesn't do that. She just gets intensely focused on things and can be very direct. Her work is genius though- but the neurodivergent can be a bit of a pill at times ;D

Last edited by Blackheifer; 17/03/23 03:04 PM.

Blackheifer
OP Offline

What's your guild name?

As it turns out we don't release our Guild name publicly as we don't advertise. However, you can call us The Nation.

Our recruitment is solely through online play on the Larian Discord. Our admins are always there evaluating people. If they are good team players with decent interpersonal skills they get an invite. If not, no hard feelings.

Look, if you ever want to discuss logistics on the whole BG3 multiplayer thing, feel free to reach out

P.S. For the record I wasn't trolling you. I was just excited to meet another guild and wanted to understand you better. We have different ways of doing things but that's fine ofc. Also I don't think Niara was trolling you either, she doesn't do that. She just gets intensely focused on things and can be very direct. Her work is genius though- but the neurodivergent can be a bit of a pill at times ;D

Well there you go. We have our strategy and you have yours. We prefer to get our Tyrs mission and vision out there because many of our guildies yearn for playing D&D together online with an older, drama free group. Some however are not extroverted, and we support their style of play and communication as well. Or some may be unable to due to special needs or disability. We support this community as well. We find that in time many open up and become integral members of our family. Even if they just listen in... they are just as valuable to us. If they are enjoying themselves -- so are we.

Yeah its great to see other guilds here FINALLY. Logistics on the whole BG3 multiplayer thing is an important topic. This will be confusing to many so just as well get it organized on that front before launch.

As for Niara, I get it now. Im totally open to strategizing with you both. The BG3 community seems to be picking up! This Larian forum is dated and that will be a potential issue attracting forumites. But that's ok too because WE STILL USE forums for organizations purposes and news releases and all the other guild goodies. Discord of course will be a major play in BG3 since we definitely like the opportunity and benefits of in-quest banter, direction, camaraderie and teamwork!

Last edited by Commodore_Tyrs; 17/03/23 06:02 PM.
OP Offline
I don't think Niara was trolling you either...

Yep, you were spot on here. We spoke privately, she's great.

veteran
veteran
Thank you both for the kind words, it's appreciated.

OP Offline
You are very welcome Niara! /respect

Last edited by Commodore_Tyrs; 26/03/23 02:42 PM.
OP Offline
This forum is a great way to learn about the game - but even better is joining a great guild. Nothing will improve your BG3 replayability than joining a group of like-minded players. This is where Tyrs and guilds in general try to help out.

Who is ready to play with us upon launch? Camaraderie IS King 'round these parts!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Commodore_Tyrs; 26/03/23 02:45 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
As someone who doesn't play many/any multiplayer computer games for the most part, can someone explain what guilds are / what they're for / what they do??

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
As someone who doesn't play many/any multiplayer computer games for the most part, can someone explain what guilds are / what they're for / what they do??

Depends on the game. In Bg3 I would say;

1) Providing a group of like-minded players who have been vetted so you don't end up in groups with abusive, unfriendly or incompatible players.
2) Managing the logistics of a game that is going to take multiple session/months to complete.
3) Having an impartial group of people that can help settle disputes if they arise or manage conflict in a mature and respectable way.
4) Access to help with learning how to play the game, or get better at it.
5) Being part of a group of people that are D&D, BG3 and gaming geeks to socialize with.
6) Social events around your core interests.

if you are looking at a game like Vanilla WoW you can add.

7) Assistance with the economic aspects of the game
8) Managing Raids
9) PvP groups so you can steam-roll the anti-social muggles.
10) Assistance with Large scale events/ world bosses/ world pvp.

Blackheifer
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

Howdy Zerubbabel!

Well Geeze, Blackheifer answered your question in fine fashion! smile

I will add a few details to his list. Tyrs Paladium is filled with old school gamers. Many in our guild have been playing tabletop D&D or D&D computer games on and off since the very beginning. Playing TOGETHER with like-minded players who have been vetted is a gift that you'll fully realize after you've been gifted it. We know how to eliminate the typical abusive, unfriendly, and/or elitist player mentality of the modern gamer. What's left is a camaraderie that is addictive and just pure fun. Some guildies have forged friendships that can last a lifetime.

Replayability. D&D Lore. Rekindling memories of playing D&D in our childhood. Camaraderie. Purpose. Monitoring player environment to ensure drama free play. Top quality adventure. Discrimination-free zone. These are some of our most basic benefits & goals.

What do guilds do? They set the tone to ensure that you'll have quality people to talk to and hopefully run with on any day and at any time that you have to play. A guild can organize & structure player excellence for you so that when you CAN schedule time to play around your work and family time, it's QUALITY time and as fun as possible.

OP Offline
Tyrs Paladium is proud to announce our commitment to Baldur's Gate 3, DDO, Neverwinter Online and Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition going forward. With Baldur's Gate 3 launching on August 31, 2023, we can now offer our guildies FOUR official D&D licensed games to play. What's great is that Baldur's Gate 3, DDO, Neverwinter Online and Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition communities speak freely on our website each day, and are getting along so well.

That's the benefits of a truly drama free community. Play the game you want to play, your way. Together.

We have earned quite the recognition in the DDO and Neverwinter communities to date, thanks to many of our guild mates who have offered their voice and opinions on the official game forums and quality of play in game. Our reputation will be built day by day, through displays of camaraderie that cannot be simply overlooked.

The key to our success is we put our guild rules to good use. They are not "rules to follow" for us, they are the way we carry ourselves, it's our character.

As the great Abraham Lincoln once said, "Character is like a tree and reputation is like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing."

If you'd like to join Tyrs Paladium in Baldur's Gate 3, and/or venture with us to the outer city and beyond, hit me up in this thread or send me a PM!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Commodore_Tyrs; 31/03/23 12:44 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard