Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#848357 01/04/23 12:39 AM
addict
OP Offline
addict
Larian released a video on Facebook saying that your 6th level Druid can transform into one “just like in the movie”…

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 01/04/23 12:40 AM.
veteran
veteran
Yay for owlbear!!!🦉🐻

addict
OP Offline
addict

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 01/04/23 03:44 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Yay for owlbear!!!🦉🐻

I can only agree! I haven't played a druid yet, I should definitely give it a try on full release.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Nice to see even an enormous company like Paramount can treat criticism with good humour (while also basically saying people should just deal with it).

veteran
veteran
So it seems to be a wider move across the D&D.

Does D&D One have druid class released? Will druids be able to turn into an Owlbear there?

F
addict
addict
F
I've made a TT druid, core rules only, and as she leveled up, she had to go the route of weird and wacky animals. Lemme see...

Cave bear, Sabretooth, Giant scorpion and Killer whale - and now Water elemental.

Owlbear is better than Sabretooth, although doesn't have the stealth nor the at-will 20' jump. But no better than the scorpion, certainly doesn't have the control. Killer whale is obviously most powerful but waterbound.

Getting it at level 6 is about right. By memory it's possibly a level early, but that's quibbling. It's little more than a bear upgrade and regardless, gets overshadowed later by any elemental form.

Lorewise, the 1E MM speculated whether the owlbear was chimera or beast. I guess they've decided despite its monstrous origins, it's become a stable enough creature within nature.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dagless
Nice to see even an enormous company like Paramount can treat criticism with good humour (while also basically saying people should just deal with it).

approvegauntlet No hate for owlbear!!!

Last edited by Icelyn; 01/04/23 05:35 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
@Dagless

Great find LOL 😂

That one should also go in meme thread!

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 01/04/23 09:13 PM.
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Wormerine
So it seems to be a wider move across the D&D.

Does D&D One have druid class released? Will druids be able to turn into an Owlbear there?

It does, and no you can't, but that's only because the onednd druid doesn't actually turn into beast/monster shapes by statblock, they get their own wildshape statblocks with flexible statistics, but you can just flavour it as appearing however you want. So you wildshape into your Animal of the Land form, and flavour it to look like an owlbear.

veteran
veteran
of course they did... why do you think the druid in the movie turns into an owlbear in the first place

yes that makes the subclass bullshit but as long as it sells a few more copies who cares wink

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
F
addict
addict
F
They've tried that approach (generic forms) many times and it's always dreadful, won't be any different this time. Players want to actually transform into specific beast. Generic forms are balanced, practical, but don't scratch that itch.

Yes, I know it means extra pages of stat-blocks appended to your character sheet. Thems the breaks.

Hardcore DMs require druids to meet the animals in nature first before Druids can wildshape (or Polymorph) into them. This serves two purposes, 1) keep beasts mysterious before discovery, and 2) make finding new beasts part of the exploration game.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by FreeTheSlaves
They've tried that approach (generic forms) many times and it's always dreadful, won't be any different this time. Players want to actually transform into specific beast. Generic forms are balanced, practical, but don't scratch that itch.

Yes, I know it means extra pages of stat-blocks appended to your character sheet. Thems the breaks.

That's pretty much exactly what most of the criticism regarding the wildshape changes is saying. It's the innate abilities that actually give monsters their flavour and variety that people want, not just a generic blob. They've misjudged what people want out of wildshape, and how it's used by non-moon druids.

veteran
veteran
For the record, the survey for feedback for One D&D relating to druids and the rest of the current round, is up currently, and will close on the 10th, so, if you don't want a wildshape that uses your own hit points, is a formless blob, and doesn't let you benefit from the abilities or strengths of unusual creatures OR the higher ability scores they come with... then be sure to fill out the survey and say so.

stranger
stranger
I love druid so far and more options are always better. I know Moonie is a touch weak at the moment but I have faith itll be great on full release.

“Who am I? I am Lore-Axe. I speak for the trees.”
Erekhar Lore-Axe, Druid of the Emerald Enclave
V
stranger
stranger
V
I hope they'll be something to set it apart from bear form gameplaywise.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Kick ass.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Originally Posted by VonFoxFire
I hope they'll be something to set it apart from bear form gameplaywise.
Like be actually good?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Some more info on owlbear Wild Shape abilities from our latest Twitter post, in case you missed it!

Rupture: Crack the Earth, causing debris to tear through nearby objects and creatures. Great for crowd control!
Enrage: For 3 turns, increase your strength by 2. Has a chance to make nearby creatures fearful!

S
old hand
old hand
S
Really glad to hear owlbear isn't a glorified bear! It gives me some hope for the moon druid not being a subpar class.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard