Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
… accessing special arrows is already pretty easy, on PC at least. Simply click on the icon for your ranged weapon to the right of the character
I have been using this system for sure, but it is not ideal - if my memory serves me well, icon autosorting for this list view is a bit of a mess, and arrows need to be on the hotbar to be displayed in the first place.

Arrows don’t need to be on the hotbar (or at least I’ve tried removing them from the Items hotbar and they still appear in this quasi-quiver view, though I do have them set to auto-add to hotbars generally). And I confess I’ve never felt the lack of better autosorting given the relatively limited number of different arrow types I’ve tended to have at one time, but I can see finding arrows we want getting more problematic as the game progresses and we get more different arrows, or if we build a character around stocking up on special arrows rather than just use ones we happen to find which has tended to be my approach. I guess sorting is a problem that would need to be solved for an enhanced quiver mechanic, too, or at least I personally have no interest in a mechanic where I have to manually add and shuffle around arrows in a quiver.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
I have to manually add and shuffle around arrows in a quiver.

You woudn't have to shuffe anything you presshold the quiver icone or presshold the shortkey and radial or normal menu opens up and there you have all the arrows.
Same as using your tip btw the difference is no other stuff is in there.(it could help with balance if they wanted to improve it because you can limit how many types of arrows you can use...) i wouldn't have to use backpacks and we get a quiver items with visuals. Same could be done for belts and potions/grenades.

You can click the arrow you want OR release the button when you hover over the one you want and that one is picked automatically. They could even add a turn on/off AoE for arrows on it to make Archery more interesting. Something like the tiny dualing icone on/off that we have for melee weapons.

LIke i said the corrent UI still feels wonky IT's was improved since the last version and they used alot of suggestions we made but still it feels half done in some places.

THe key is that just arrows are shown and you have a quiver Item slot that can have magical quiver that give effects.
God knows itemization is lacking in dnd for video gaming so anything that could be added is welcome in my book.

Arrows could finally work as ammunition instead of scrolls. Right now is use battle master maneuvers or use an arrow. Or like for some strange reason off hand crossbow can't shoot special arrows, that could be fixed as well.

Example as a rogue you are kinda force to just use sneak attack most of the time. But that makes archery way less fun compared to what it could be for a rogue. I know that maybe they gonna fix sneak attack and make it work like smite hopefully, but there are still many other abilites that have the same problem so.

Don't know about you but that combined with the quiver item slot alone is huge and makes me want to have this system.

When it comes to your tip like i said yeah that works if you don't use backpacks and are happy with a mess of a inventory but i can't play with untidy inventory that's flooded with huge amount of icones.

Last edited by Lastman; 22/04/23 03:10 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Lastman
I have to manually add and shuffle around arrows in a quiver.

You woudn't have to shuffe anything you presshold the quiver icone or presshold the shortkey and radial or normal menu opens up and there you have all the arrows.
Same as using your tip btw the difference is no other stuff is in there.(it could help with balance if they wanted to improve it because you can limit how many types of arrows you can use...)

Yes, I was responding specifically there to the point that autosort on the hotbar for the virtual quiver system we have now wasn’t good. My point was that even if a full quiver system were implemented then that wouldn’t automatically solve that problem. Though given the only other stuff shown in that view is other stuff you can do with a bow (eg Dip) I don’t think that adds significantly to clutter. The mess, insofar as there is any, I’d say comes from the variety of different arrow types.

But while I don’t see much benefit for me personally from adding a quiver on top of the functionality we have now, I do 100% agree with your point that the implementation of sneak attack should be updated on the pattern of divine smite so that it can be used with special arrows.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
I
stranger
stranger
I
Originally Posted by Omkara
Originally Posted by Brewman
An extreme amount of realism does not a fun game make.
I don't want to see a backpack on my chracter it looks ugly.
I do agree though that weapons should be sheathed properly isntead of just weirdly hanging on my back (when dual wielding).

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. While I appreciate that you have a different opinion regarding backpacks and their appearance in games, I must disagree with your statement that an extreme amount of realism does not make a fun game.

In fact, a logical amount of realism can add an extra layer of immersion to the game and enhance the overall gameplay experience. While there are certainly more critical aspects of a game that should be prioritized, there is no harm in paying attention to small details that can make the game more enjoyable, especially when it could be added as a feature that can be enabled or disabled, similar to how it was handled with Pathfinder. Regarding the appearance of backpacks, I understand your concern that they may look unappealing. However, I believe that it is possible to design a visually appealing backpack that can still http://essaypapers.reviews/ convey the necessary function of carrying loot and equipment.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com][Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com][Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Furthermore, as you mentioned, having weapons floating on the back of a character when sheathed can be distracting and detract from the game's immersion. The same can be said for being able to carry unrealistic amounts of loot without any logical explanation. In conclusion, I believe that a logical amount of realism can enhance the gameplay experience, and I hope that we can agree on the importance of paying attention to small details that can make the game more enjoyable.

Thank you for your response, and I look forward to hearing more thoughts from the community.

Originally Posted by LostSoul
If they can fix sheathing and fix clipping that would be fantastic.

Fixing that is definitely a priority wink
This one looks much better!

Last edited by isaashmead62; 25/04/23 07:08 AM.
L
addict
addict
L
Some players may not know you can place a bag on the hotbar, then move your arrows into the bag.

When you want to fire them just open the bag.

old hand
old hand
No backpack of whatever size would be big enough to take the amount of stuff we get. But a bigger backpack in reality would hinder in combat, so it would be less immersion for me to have one in game, except you could and should remove it before combat. Some carrying animals would be a nice idea but would make group movement even clumsier. So a magical carrying and delivery service seems to be the best solution, aka like it's now.

On the other hand no sane person ever would run and jump around with sharp and pointy weapons attached to the body without sheaths or covers. I would really appreciate if we got sheaths and carrying systems (belt, baldric or such) for weapons. Including quivers for arrow and bolts.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LostSoul
Some players may not know you can place a bag on the hotbar, then move your arrows into the bag.

When you want to fire them just open the bag.
Nah, that’s been my way of dealing with hotbar in D:OS2 and pre-UI revision BG3. It’s good, except for having to place every arrow there manually, and (last time I tried) you can’t sell content of the bag when shopping.

J
stranger
stranger
J
I'm unfamiliar with how to post in these forums, so forgive me if this reply is not in the right place. I have to voice my opinion, though. From everything I'm reading and seeing with early access gameplay, I still don't see any additions of Quivers or Scabbards in the animation/3D models. This is a game-breaker for me and 100% unengaging. I understand that every 3D model needs to be rendered with these items, BUT come on, guys. That's your job. Fantasy games constantly leave out these aesthetics, and it's extremely annoying. I was sold on this game until I saw how the weapons were slung without scabbards, and arrows had no visible quiver. Another failure for fantasy games. If there are no updates with the addition of Quivers and scabbards(especially for daggers), then no money from me. I also do not like that when you upgrade a scimitar or dagger to +1 it adds a handle guard. Handle guards are a terrible aesthetic. Is there a way to keep the base-level weapon's look after it has been upgraded? Again this is another deal-breaker for me. I'd like to be able to upgrade my weapons without a change in what they look like and put them into a visible scabbard on my back or hip. I feel like the developers or animators put too much into things they shouldn't and not enough into things they should. This game was so close, but for me, I want my character to appeal to me in every way visually. Please make these changes before release. That's how you get my money.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by JackNeptune
I'm unfamiliar with how to post in these forums, so forgive me if this reply is not in the right place. I have to voice my opinion, though. From everything I'm reading and seeing with early access gameplay, I still don't see any additions of Quivers or Scabbards in the animation/3D models. This is a game-breaker for me and 100% unengaging.

Welcome, and yes this thread is a perfectly okay place to post preferences for quivers and scabbards. Though I’m sure there have also been other threads discussing this over the years.

Possibly if this is something that’s not in the base game, modders might be able to help. I’m sure that at least reskinning items is something that can be achieved, if it hasn’t been already. I’ll admit it’s not something I’ve looked into as, though I’m sure if there were nicely polished sheathing and quiver animations (that didn’t compound clipping issues) then I’d appreciate it, these are bells and whistles rather than essential features for me. We are all entitled to our different priorities, of course!

J
stranger
stranger
J
While I agree with you about the bells and whistles not being essential features for gameplay, I believe if I game is going to be immersive and allow the player to create their own characters, then those bells and whistles are essential. That is just my opinion. I mean, part of the lure of D&D is to customize and create a character that is essentially you in the Forgotten Realms. To be able to create weapons and items at a forge or set off on an adventure to find raw materials to make an item you desire is all part of that experience. Games like Skyrim and Elden Ring do this well, and while they may have a bigger budget, they also have a bigger following because they understand what makes these RPG games so appealing to gamers like myself. Cosmetics are a big part of the character creation process. Fromsoftware acknowledges this 100%. They know it is about the look of their character for many players. Sure, there is clipping, but unlike you, that is not an issue for me. I'd much rather see a scabbard on my character's back that may dip into the ground when they sit than nothing. Think about it. An archer without a quiver? A shield that isn't slung and disappears? These are common-sense cosmetics that should have been added to the 3D models from day one. Games like this are meant to be immersive in every way, not just a game to beat or speedrun. Why make a D&D game if you can't go for broke? I love the lore and world of Baldur's Gate and everything I've seen with this game, but the cosmetics are severely lacking. I pray the open-world D&D game in development delivers where every single developed D&D videogame to date has failed.

Last edited by JackNeptune; 26/05/23 05:51 PM. Reason: mistake
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard