Print Thread
H
Houdini Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Hi there.

Does anyone know of a way to export a savefile to a different PC?

A friend and I have a playthrough where I have been hosting our play sessions, but for some reason (probably mods) he can no longer join my direct connections. I can join his though.
But since I have been hosting our sessions we cannot keep playing. So the question is if there is a way to transfer "my" game and savefile to his computer?

I have tried transferring the latest save from %localappdata%\larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\playerProfiles\Savegames\story\"LATESTS SAVE FILE", but when he tries to load the save his game crashes.

Wondering if the savefile might have a hook to the player profile as well maybe.

(we both started troubleshooting our mods before thinking of this solution but to no avail.)

old hand
old hand
the save games are locked to profiles so you would need to hack the system i.e, log into your account from the mates computer and then enable cross-save to download it

the path should be C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\PlayerProfiles\Public\Savegames\Story unless you use offline installers

personally i'd just start a new game

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
H
apprentice
apprentice
H
First off all I would like to point out that since the last update savegames are no longer per profile. You don't have profiles anymore (sad but true...)
Secondly I think you certainly can transfer savegames.
Just look in the directory C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\PlayerProfiles\Public\Savegames\Story for the save you want to copy, and transfer the directory found.

old hand
old hand
Actually you do have profiles... It's just everyone has a 'public' profile now and this multiplayer lock out would be the driving force behind that change

stranger
stranger
I am on steam but would like to play BG 3 on my second drive .. would it matter what drive type i use?

Hi, I am new to BG3, playing on an old system Intel I5-8400, GTX 1660 and 8 gb ram. I know I need to upgrade. What kind of system would be optimal for BG 3 ? thanks

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by teaspot
I am on steam but would like to play BG 3 on my second drive .. would it matter what drive type i use?

Hi, I am new to BG3, playing on an old system Intel I5-8400, GTX 1660 and 8 gb ram. I know I need to upgrade. What kind of system would be optimal for BG 3 ? thanks

You’ll be better off with an SSD than traditional hard drive, but other than that I’d just go by the recommended specs on Steam, though there’s the possibility they’ll change before full release.

Alternatively, if you have a decent internet connection then a streaming service like GeForce Now might be worth looking into, or some folk have been positive about playing the game on Steam Deck. Those might be options if you don’t think you’ll get enough other use out of a high spec games PC.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
C
C

You are right there, it should work on minimum settings. Only problem I see it's the ram, If I were you I would look on some guides how to increase the virtual memory - transpose the storage into vram.
With your setup, PC will run at full cillinders/steam, but playable.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by crst

You are right there, it should work on minimum settings. Only problem I see it's the ram, If I were you I would look on some guides how to increase the virtual memory - transpose the storage into vram.
With your setup, PC will run at full cillinders/steam, but playable.

+1 On this.

But I would add if your HD is an old style NON-SSD drive then don't create VRAM out of it as it will slow your system to a crawl. An m.2 drive would best short of increasing actual RAM, or an SSD. It's such a smaller pipe with hard drives compared to RAM that it will cause all sorts of problems.

As far as moving save files, I have done this - or at least I had one person who was hosting send me the save file so I could take over hosting. It is possible, but you need to use FTP to move the file since it's so large. There are two files - one is the graphics thumbnail, which you don't need and the other is an .lsv file that is about 11-13 MB.

Local Disk - -. Users (your username) -> AppData -> Local -> LarianStudios -> BaldursGate3 -> PlayerProfiles > (Profile Name) -> SaveGames -> Story (This is OLD path when we used Profiles)
Local Disk - -. Users (your username) -> AppData -> Local -> LarianStudios -> BaldursGate3 -> PlayerProfiles > Public -> SaveGames -> Story

Then just look up a Free FTP (File Transfer Protocol) site and you can move the file that way)

Good Luck.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 09/04/23 04:54 PM.

Blackheifer
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Just to back up what others have said about RAM, my gaming laptop came with 8GB and BG3 ran okay but loading times got longer and longer … and longer. Adding more RAM fixed that problem for me. Our systems aren’t necessarily comparable in other ways, so from advice here it sounds as though it might be worth giving the game a go with your current setup before splashing out!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
stranger
stranger
Hello thanks all , some great ideas . It seems very difficult to find ram.\

ironically, the RAM i have is Ballistix DDr 4 which was discontinued in 2022,

It is one strip of ddr 4 for 8 gb of Ram. Going to replace with 2 strips of good ddr 4 Ram

i think it will work . MB seems to be a no-name. Is any RAM DDR 4 good ?

I do have a WD 500mb SSD so that is nice ... and an ordinary 1T WD HD

Or look for a graphics card with 16 vram? not sure here but waiting is likely best idea

thanks

old hand
old hand
just buy a single stick of 4G Ram and put it in the other slot for a total of 8... no name Ram [of the same type and speed] will be fine
if you can't match the speed then go for something faster not slower

you could also go for a 8 G for 12 total...

Last edited by Ussnorway; 26/04/23 11:59 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Regarding RAM, as I alluded to above I found the single 8GB stick of DDR4 RAM that came as default with my gaming laptop wasn’t nearly enough and loading times were ridiculously long: at least 5 minutes and often significantly more, from an SSD hard drive.

I tried playing around with virtual RAM to no avail, through admittedly there could have been some more fine-tuning I could have done. But as I’d always intended to add more RAM I just bought an additional stick and popped it in. I bought 32GB for a total of 40GB which is totally unnecessary for BG3, but as it wasn’t that expensive at the time thought I might as well future proof. The additional RAM solved my loading times issue.

But from what others have said, for good BG3 performance I suspect you’re going to find yourself wanting to add another 8GB for a total of 16GB. I agree that it doesn’t seem necessary to match exactly, not that I’m an expert. I bought another stick of the same type and speed but a different brand and everything seems fine. (While it looked like there were limits to how much benefit I could get from parallel use of RAM sticks of different sizes, as far as I could tell that was probably going to be outweighed by just having more RAM in total, but wouldn’t be a problem for you anyway if you were going to buy another 8GB).

B
B
Hi,

To transfer the savegame files from one PC to another for a singleplayer game, is it sufficient to simply copy the content of
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\PlayerProfiles\Public\Savegames ??

I see files like "profile8.lsf" in the "Public" folder but this does not seem to be relevant, i.e. I only copied the actual savegame files and am able to continue palying on the 2nd PC without issues so far. Just wanted to ask in case someone knows that additional files are required. Thanks!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Bomor
Hi,

To transfer the savegame files from one PC to another for a singleplayer game, is it sufficient to simply copy the content of
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\PlayerProfiles\Public\Savegames ??

I see files like "profile8.lsf" in the "Public" folder but this does not seem to be relevant, i.e. I only copied the actual savegame files and am able to continue palying on the 2nd PC without issues so far. Just wanted to ask in case someone knows that additional files are required. Thanks!

The other file is just a thumbnail, no you don't need it.

Blackheifer
B
B
Thanks, apprechiated!

Link Copied to Clipboard