Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
old hand
old hand
S
To be fair, this movie had to compete against the bulldozer that is the Mario movie. Even with the DnD movie having a big critical success and the Mario movie barely having a plot, people will always flock to the most recognizable and marketed one. At least we can expect a long term success as an underrated gem and this will spawn sequels in better times.

veteran
veteran
Regarding the Mario movie, its a kids movie and kids movies have an in-built advantage. For every kid who wants to see it, you sell at least two tickets, one for the child and one for their chaperone.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by Warlocke
I also finally got around to seeing it and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It really nailed the feeling of D&D.

I especially love how they portrayed a Paladin. Completely badass but also utterly insufferable.

I’m bummed that the movie didn’t do better in the box office. This seems like sort of movie that would have definitely found it’s audience and earned enough money to justify a sequel back in the days of home video releases, but only pulling in $200 million in ticket sales in 2023 might prohibit another film. Really a shame.

$200 Million so far with a $150 Million budget - which vastly exceeded expectations. That's just Box office - there are other tie-ins that we won't have the numbers for. They already have a series planned which Paramount+ has agreed to distribute and they are discussing a sequel or other films now in the same universe.

Also, it released 2 months ago, we have not seen home purchase sales or rentals yet (they just became available a few days ago) and it's not on any streaming service. So all told I think you can probably expect another couple hundred million out of this from everything.

$200 million is not exceeding expectations. That is a significant underperformance. With ticket sales, only about half of the price goes to the studio, and that $150 budget probably doesn’t include marketing, so the movie is very much in the red.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I also finally got around to seeing it and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It really nailed the feeling of D&D.

I especially love how they portrayed a Paladin. Completely badass but also utterly insufferable.

I’m bummed that the movie didn’t do better in the box office. This seems like sort of movie that would have definitely found it’s audience and earned enough money to justify a sequel back in the days of home video releases, but only pulling in $200 million in ticket sales in 2023 might prohibit another film. Really a shame.

$200 Million so far with a $150 Million budget - which vastly exceeded expectations. That's just Box office - there are other tie-ins that we won't have the numbers for. They already have a series planned which Paramount+ has agreed to distribute and they are discussing a sequel or other films now in the same universe.

Also, it released 2 months ago, we have not seen home purchase sales or rentals yet (they just became available a few days ago) and it's not on any streaming service. So all told I think you can probably expect another couple hundred million out of this from everything.

$200 million is not exceeding expectations. That is a significant underperformance. With ticket sales, only about half of the price goes to the studio, and that $150 budget probably doesn’t include marketing, so the movie is very much in the red.

True, it needs to hit about $400 million worldwide to be truly profitable or 2.5x it's production budget.

Again, though, there are a LOT of tie ins for this movie where the movie acts as a form of marketing. Hasbro is making a bet on this increasing interest in D&D's other properties and improving sales. Then you still have Rental and purchase sales and streaming sales.

Three things though that - in my opinion - make this film successful.

1) The show has a 90% on RT - which is really excellent. A record for D&D movies.

2) The 38 Million it made opening weekend exceeded the studios expectations on this.

3) There is already additional content planned, and sold to a distributor as I mentioned before.

Blackheifer
W
veteran
veteran
W
I certainly hope that it does pull in enough revenue to warrant a sequel, but it’s going to be an uphill climb. Even if there were already plans to expand the franchise, a poor first showing will scare away a studio like nothing else. WotC already scrapped their plans for more D&D games aside from BG3. The reception of the movie could very well push them in the same direction.

veteran
veteran
$200 Million so far with a $150 Million budget - which vastly exceeded expectations.
Nay. that's a big flop. General rule of thumb is to double production budget to account for marketing - the more expensive the film, the more cash will be spend to sell it. So the film would need to make more or less $300m to break even.

For example Blade Runner 2049 costed similar amount to produce (&155 million), it made $240 million worldwide, and greatly underperformed - it was reported it would need to make about $400million to break even.

Not all of the money the movie will make will come back to studio who makes the film. Rule of the thumb is to count 1/2 of domestic gross and 1/3 of worldwide gross.

addict
addict
I wanted to enjoy it - but it was just bad - not sure what I was expecting but to much one liners & not much else - very disappointed

enthusiast
enthusiast
I (finally) watched Honor among thieves today, and I really enjoyed myself, I think it is a very good and very entertaining movie (I think it doesn't always has to be Oscar-worthy drama to be a "good" movie).

It was funny, warm-hearted and cute (yes, that's maybe a weird adjective by which to describe a magical heist movie 😄) To me, it felt like a D&D campaign brought to the big screen, with a great ensemble cast.

I liked the attention to detail, e.g. you can see the Tears of Selûne (I immediately had to think of Lae'zel), or very briefly some little rust monsters fighting over scraps in the streets.
I loved to see all the D&D creatures, and to see the spells in action. I don't want to spoiler too much, but there is a lot to be seen.

Spoiler alert for an easter egg (I don't know if this has already been mentioned, so spoiler tags just in case):
And I love that they included the party from the 80s Dungeons & Dragons cartoon as competitors in the maze. It was hilarious.

I'm hoping for a sequel, and once the movie is on streaming platforms, it's going to be my cinematic comfort food.

Last edited by Lyelle; 16/05/23 11:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
veteran
veteran
It looks like it is streaming now on Paramount+ !😊

veteran
veteran
I really would love to see a sequel, I really liked that group.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran

veteran
veteran
Well, since Honest Trailer is here ...
It feels only fair to post this aswell:

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Icelyn

Thank you for the information! I must admit that I didn't even knew Paramount has their own streaming service. Maybe I will have to buy it then, signing up for yet another one is a bit too expensive on the long run.

Originally Posted by fylimar
I really would love to see a sequel, I really liked that group.

Me too, I would love to see them going on more adventures together.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn

Thanks for the tip - was able to see it with a trial subscription. Yaaah.

It was great fun! Was interesting to see the similarities between the way the underdark was portrayed in the movie and the game. And it was just nice to see locations like Icewind Dale appear on the screen.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Well, since Honest Trailer is here ...
It feels only fair to post this aswell:
The eyes (go for'em, Boo!) of the dude do not inspire confidence ...
Am going to a theatre with my Baby Boy on the Saturday. Will comment on the movie then.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Thanks for the tip - was able to see it with a trial subscription. Yaaah.
approvegauntlet

B
old hand
old hand
B
Me and Sweet Pea both enjoyed it. Our expectations were not high, though.
A very well made B movie.
Pudgy dragon was The Best! And Miss Evul!too!

While watching it I kept on thinking - how coordinated are BG3 and the movie by WotC's marketing department? I mean, the cute white Owlbear?

Last edited by Buba68; 21/05/23 05:46 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I genuinely liked the movie, I truly hope it’s successful and we will see more big budget cinema about Forgotten Realms.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ladydub
I genuinely liked the movie, I truly hope it’s successful and we will see more big budget cinema about Forgotten Realms.

Me too. And I'm glad RagnorokCzD posted Greenwood's review - I didn't even know he had a channel! Been listening - his realms is the realms I really like. I just enjoy the childlike glee he communicates and enjoy his stories about cities having a new sense of hope and being united in a vision of all species living together side by side.

Also found it interesting that he disagrees with Hasbro on what is cannon - apparently he seems to think that a legal agreement he signed makes the novels cannon.

B
old hand
old hand
B
BTW - what was the birdman on the Parole Review Panel?
Gave me bad vibes reminding me of the petting zoo freakshow of Star Wars.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard