Page 41 of 41 1 2 39 40 41
stranger
stranger
Thanks for your feedback, RagnarokCzD!
It was really helpful.

Yet to this I must counter the following:

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
While this may seem like reasonable request ... its not. :-/
Your prices are reflecting your reputation in said city ...

If your Thief (and i dont mean rogue, i mean person who is stealing no matter the class) will be caught 3 times, people will not like him ... and will not give him any discount ...
In your model, they would.

We are talking about a game, where i can send items to a far away camp in an instant. For quality of life reasons.
Where i can send an item to a companion literally hundreds of meters away. For quality of life reasons.
Where a key is teleported to the very charakter, that wants to open a locked door via "magic pockets". For quality of life reasons.

In said game suddenly the "role playing" kicks in full force, when i want to sell stuff? Really?

And that "role playing" is outmatched (to stick to your example) by someone who simply takes stuff from the "evil / not liked" character and sells it for a hefty sum, while the evil character is standing right behind him?!
Come on...

No, all i am asking for is a simple quality of life feature.

Once we start checking everything against realistic and/or role-playing standards, many, many things would have to be changed.
And don't get me wrong. I don't want that. I just don't want anyone to force me to move the entire inventory every da... every single time I want to sell items.

Last edited by pipboy2000; 30/03/23 03:15 PM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Exactly as you say ... all those things are just Quality of Life things ... you can easily pretend they happened, and game just didnt bother you with doing them manualy ...

You went to camp to store things there ...
You went to companion to give them said item ...
Or key ...

I think i expressed myself poorly on previous page tho:
I dont like curent system either.
Exactly for reasons that was mentioned ...

In my honest opinion, when we are talking about vendor prices, our group should be concidered as a whole ... i mean, from roleplaying perspective it makes sense for Vendors to have "You three belongs to that thief? Well no discount for either of you!" kind of attitude ... it also seems more believable that Vendors will approach all of us as "just group of travelers/strangers" rather than keep track of good, and bad deeds of each and every follower or Tav we create or bring. laugh

But i also really liked that idea that i supported on previous page ... i believe it was Red Queen who wrote it ... that game should use Charisma modifier of that character who initiate the selling/conversation.
I know it may seem odd, but sometimes you just dont want to have best possible outcome. wink
And when i decide to play a game of really poor Tav with just 8 charisma, intending to struggle (at least to some extend, since there is really lots of potential ways to get litteraly thousands of gold coins) with lack of money ... i dont really want to be restricted from having Warlock, Sorcerer, or Paladin in my group just bcs the game automaticly picks something for me. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 30/03/23 07:57 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
While this may seem like reasonable request ... its not. :-/
Your prices are reflecting your reputation in said city ...
It's a totally reasonable request. Thing is, it has no real effect, other than what character you choose to start the interaction with.

You talk to the merchant with the character that gets the best discount. While in the buy/sell window, you can switch between characters and pass items from one character's inventory straight into the one that gets the best discount. You don't even have to back out of the transaction screen. So the reputation for the individual characters has zero effect. The way it's set up now, it just adds unnecessary tedium by forcing you to pass items between inventories. It doesn't stop you from still getting the best price. So they should just change it so no matter what inventory you're selling from in the active party, the price is set by the rep of the one that interacted with the trader to start the buy/sell process.

*edit* Somehow missed all the previous responses. Not sure what happened there, as I refreshed the page. Anyway, I see the conversation has gone beyond my response long ago... :P

Last edited by Malaroth; 03/04/23 05:31 PM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
How many people have commented that "until long rest" spells and potions are OP?
Also - the headbands of intellect should be items granting +1 and +2/3 bonuses. Or the item grants +3 bonus to INT related tests.
Otherwise - as already suggested in a "muscle wizard" build, the go-to minmax wizard build will feature 8 INT, as grabbing the icky headband from the ogres is possible half an hour (or less) out of the nautiloid..

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Buba68
How many people have commented that "until long rest" spells and potions are OP?
I didnt count them, but it was mentioned few times.
General presumation: Its a bug.

Also - the headbands of intellect should be items granting +1 and +2/3 bonuses. Or the item grants +3 bonus to INT related tests.
I believe they do ...
They just dont overwrite your stats.

And personaly, i really like it this way. laugh
Exactly for that reason so "muscle wizard" you mentioned is not so appealing. smile
Bcs it first take your stat bonus (-2 in case of 8Int) ... and then it adds bonus from items (+3 if i remember corectly it gives 17) ... so you still benefit from the crown, just not as much. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Honestly? They may be but I would hate a lot more if Larian went for "This potion lasts 10 minutes. In a game where actually pausing the game is impossible and you'll waste half of that time doing busywork in the inventory or fighting the UI in other ways".

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
B
old hand
old hand
B
OK. I read the headband's description as resetting a character' INT to 17 (or 19, I've seen another such item mentioned).

My plans to play a
STR16 DEX14 CON16
INT8 WIS12 CHR10
Human Wizard are thwarted! :P

Last edited by Buba68; 19/05/23 04:10 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Otherwise - as already suggested in a "muscle wizard" build, the go-to minmax wizard build will feature 8 INT, as grabbing the icky headband from the ogres is possible half an hour (or less) out of the nautiloid..

I hope some of the combat-focused until long rest spells and potions will be nerfed to last, say, an hour instead, but I disagree on the Headband of Intellect, at least now it’s been reduced to INT 17 (I think it might have set INT to 18 in earlier patches). That’s on the assumption that it’s a one off item specifically to make sense of Lump, which I think is a fun mini story line that wouldn’t really work if his INT were only boosted by a couple of points. Sure someone could exploit the headband to make a muscle wizard/eldritch knight/eldritch scoundrel build, but 17 INT isn’t really enough for the long term for a build that really relies on INT so except for some very specific characters its use seems more limited to the early game. As a result, I think it’s less unbalancing in general than a headband that would boost INT even for characters that had a high stat to begin with. (Plus it has a fun echo of the ring that boosted CHA to 18 available early in BG2.)

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
B
old hand
old hand
B
To explain Lump - "if lower, this snazzy fashion accessory increases user INT to 12"?
Or - "for inexplicable reasons - who can truly divine the intentions of a Wizard who crafted this item - it brings forth its full potential exclusively when used by an ogre. For users of any other race the benefits are limited to .... "

As there is lots about 5ed/BG3 I don't know/understand, my gut reactions can be off smile

Last edited by Buba68; 19/05/23 04:22 PM.
veteran
veteran
OK. I read the headband's description as resetting a character' INT to 17 (or 19, I've seen another such item mentioned).

My plans to play a
STR16 DEX14 CON16
INT8 WIS12 CHR10
Human Wizard are thwarted! :P

Your understanding is right. The headband raises your Int. to 17, giving you a +3 overall. It's not less helpful if you started with an 8.

Although, a 17 isn't great for a wizard in the long run. It's certainly okay for the early levels, but later on I imagine that 17 will feel awfully low when you're wanting a 20 instead, and there's no way to upgrade.

It seems to me that the headband is pretty useful for an eldritch knight or an arcane trickster, though. It's a solid stat for a class that's multi-stat dependent. That said, I just haven't been that impressed with those subclasses in comparison to their alternatives. The Thief is so much better than the Arcane Trickster, in my opinion. Same with the Battlemaster and the Eldritch Knight.

Basically, I'd argue that the headband isn't OP, not at all. In fact, as a player, I would much prefer a headband that gave a +2 to Int. (Heck, even a +1 would be better to my way of thinking.)

apprentice
apprentice
Things to improve in random order:

1. Stealth: It's a broken mechanic. It allows you to hit, hide, wait for the enemy's turn where they do nothing, hit again, hide, etc. in a loop. It usually works if you are on high ground. The mechanic needs a complete overhaul. My suggestion: Enemies should move in their turn to search for you, but in a "random, yet plausible" direction. That way, they won't have a radar to locate you, but they won't keep getting riddled with arrows either.

2. Vendors: They don't sell anything interesting (maybe because it's easy to rob each vendor individually), and in general, money doesn't serve much purpose at the moment, similar to DOS2. The best equipment is obtained through quests and exploring dungeons.

3. There are no finishing animations for melee or ranged attacks. Decapitations, impalements, arrows to the head would have been cool. I would have included some special ones based on whether the enemy is finished off with a critical hit. Overall, even for spells, there isn't much variety in visual effects other than elemental effects.

4. There are no heavy armors in the early game. This is a disadvantage for strength-based characters.

5. Special weapons have almost always very situational and strange effects. Essentially, they are a waste. If the weapons are useless, it's better not to include them at all.

6. The prologue on the nautiloid with githyanki, cambions, dragons, etc., is too much stuff thrown in for what is supposed to be a new beginning of the saga. There is practically no background for your own character, except for a few initial dialogues (which is different for the Gith, but unfortunately, it's incomplete and doesn't connect well with Lae'zel and the other Gith). Even a simple text like in the old BG biographies where the origin was practically the same (you spent your childhood in Candlekeep, and your race and sex are X because you were adopted), but your class was mentioned and your training was justified. Here, on the other hand, nothing is said, so you're practically anonymous. It's a shame because it lacks immersion.

7. Group and individual movement with the chain system. It's terrible. It's inconvenient, and it's a problem that also carried over from DOS2.

8. Looting and item collection system. Another major problem carried over from DOS2. There's an abnormal amount of chests, barrels, vases, wardrobes, etc. to loot, with many useless items (whose presence is unjustified). There are food supplies that partially justify this search, but they are still in abnormal quantities, so resting whenever you want is never a problem. It would be better to remove them altogether. These activities are all time-consuming and unnecessary.

9. Terrible UI with tiny boxes and overall chaotic management of all items. This is also carried over from DOS2.

10. Karmic dice seem to exist without making much sense in how they function.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Undomiel
Things to improve in random order:
1. Stealth: It's a broken mechanic. It allows you to hit, hide, wait for the enemy's turn where they do nothing, hit again, hide, etc. in a loop. It usually works if you are on high ground. The mechanic needs a complete overhaul. My suggestion: Enemies should move in their turn to search for you, but in a "random, yet plausible" direction. That way, they won't have a radar to locate you, but they won't keep getting riddled with arrows either.

I agree, there is no broader sense of what they try to achieve, so even when you kill N characters in the same room, they will go about their routine eventually regardless. Any reasonable creature would get increasingly suspicious and more thorough each time that happened if not fairly thorough right in the beggining unless they were suicidal.
There is also related issue of field of vision and inspection - being noticeably higher (i.e. any of the companion chars would need mid-stop or a climbeable object to get there) in some situations makes it impossible for NPCs to notice you so they just never stop healing themselves and patrolling (i.e.
minotaurs when approached from the side of Zentharim stash
). Which is unconvincing way of mitigating other issues in itself.

Similarly there is an issue with persisting beyond fight hostile AoE effects (i.e. druid's moonbeam). More than once one of neutral NPC walked into it after the battle when PCs were engaged in a discussion and I didn't even get to dispell it by breaking concentration (I don't think there was an outright dispell button either). Unsurprisingly they kinda didn't like that. Their routine simply didn't seeem to account for that possibility.

I fully endorse the list below as well

Originally Posted by pipboy2000
Inventory / Items

Please excuse my harsh words, but the inventory and character sheet is one big annoyance.
I think that many problems could be solved with a common group inventory. But anyway...
- It should definitely be possible to tag multiple items to send them to camp or to another character, for example.
- It should be possible to send items to a character waiting in the camp.
- There should be a button to sell all "wares" at once.
- Each character should automatically and always have a container for potions and one for scrolls in their inventory.
These containers should NOT be inventory items that I can accidentally sell with all their contents!
- There should be a key ring where all keys are automatically collected. (So that they do not clutter up the inventory).
- When I move the mouse pointer over equipment in the inventory, it should be shown which values improve and deteriorate compared to the currently equipped item.
- Camp supplies that I have sent to the camp should not have to be laboriously taken out of the box to rest there.
- I should be able to click on a character in-game and then open his inventory.
- When I'm at camp, I should be able to select ALL my characters and open their inventory, not just the ones currently in my party.

I would add to it only that books shouldn't be casual items in the inventory - it is really hard to figure out after a while which of them came from where, relate to what, which contain location info, which are pure lore etc. (I do hoard them, because I like to put together the nerrative). In the very least they should mark that they have been read, possibly create some journal note or at let you do it. Or at least mark where they have been picked up. Weight of 1 doesn't make much sense either other than being painfully overly realisitic.
Various ingredients don't stack (or if they do, I failed to figure it out), so they litter inventory.

Situations like with Lea'zel trying to lie to giths where you don't get to buff her during the dialogue are pesky since they are really inconsistent with overall experience. The fact that getting whole team down there is tough in it's own right doesn't make it any better (which would matter if not the above and you aimed for peaceful resolution, which again - doesn't make much sense because their loot is so OP as per standard of the 1st chapter).

Larian. KEEP the Racial ability score bonuses as they were in Early access. That is to say like they should be, (PHB). The Tasha +2 +1 is an optional rule, that was and still is highly controversial in the D&D community.

At least Keep PHB Racial ability score bonuses (like you had in EA), as an option. It is a major part of what characterizes the d&D races and sets them apart. Its also half the fun of choosing a class. Choosing a Race that isnt optimized for the class you want is half the fun. And it breaks the stereotype pairings. It makes the character feel a bit more unique.

PLEASE Larian, I beg you, revert the change, or keep them both as options. Your also severly nerfing Human as a viable choice... And Dwarf, and Half Elves...

"They say he who smelt it dealt it."
Sooo technically... this burnt corpse is your fault officer."

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
I'd forgotten this thread existed. I'd been meaning to do something with it as it's really hard to navigate or find stuff in, and I much prefer threads on specific topics. It was originally intended by vometia as a place to summarise key points from elsewhere on the forum but over time it just became a bit of a dumping ground.

Now EA is pretty much over, I'm going to lock it.

We do have discussions on the approach to ability score bonuses elsewhere on the forum, so let's keep that discussion to, eg, https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=862945#Post862945.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Page 41 of 41 1 2 39 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard