Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
addict
addict
I think that big opening would of worked better with some level 10 companions that helps you out but then gets killed by mindflayer or high level creature, helping you out. Something that contrast out the epic level and area with your weakness as a lev 1 character.
In BG3 level / creature types doesnt seem to mean anything. You are fighting high level creatures/going to high level areas as a low experience character...so nothing feels scary or surprising. Hey a Dragon! Neat. I didnt go through the game more than 2 hours, but people are entering the underdark at lev 3 apparently? Meeting beholders??
So what, by level 10 we will be gods destroying entire continents, and travelling to alternate planes by will?

For me this is worry-some. Mid to end game. As we all know Larian games seems to peak at the beginning/mid point then things go way downhill from there.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 20/05/23 06:09 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
Ok I make the assumption that Larian people are intelligent.

The game is already sold and already a success, from the beginning. Because there was "Baldur's Gate" in the title and because there was the promise that it will be respectful of D&D 5e (and maybe because of the trust of some DoS players of course). However, the game has been sold on the sole basis of trust. Not because it was great, because there was no game.
I make the assumption that Larian people are intelligent and that they know this : they have to be respectful of what BG & D&D players like/expect.

They have had far, far more time, budget and people to prepare this game than they had with DoS.

So I expect 80% of what has been said here, for years, by so many people, will be addressed in the final version, and that their silence about all this is a mean to better surprise us in the end. Because they deeply wish to be successful in the long run, by pleasing their hardcore followers more than trying to appear original.

So I expect that they intend to amaze us and sell many d&d games afterward, rather than just make a bold gamble.

My biggest fear is to be wrong about that.

So I expect that :
* We will be lost in the character creator, surprised by all the esthetical/customization possibilities, races and subclasses finally available, including starting equipment, roll the dices system, other backgrounds etc.
* Baldur's gate will be explored in 2 phasis : first in-depth, with both plot-related and non related possibilities of exploration (we need of course several inn and taverns), then under sieged
* We will have really several different story archs / endings that we will be able to explore only with different runs
* The game will be really huge, like 200 hours + : with epic story, twists and solid exploration of planes
* The Act 1 will really offer a new overall experience
* They will fix some aspects to be a little closer to D&D 5e and to avoid homebrew collateral OP-ness
* We will get some good surprises for things like day/night, random encounter, nice big map ala former BG, an impression of vastness of the country with even secondary possibilities of exploration, etc. (not all our wishes, but surely several)
* The Main Char will be as interesting (if not more) than an origin character

My biggest fear is to be wrong and to be disappointed.

Last edited by Lunar Dante; 20/05/23 03:24 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
“Woke” is term that has become totally devalued for sensible, constructive discussion on forums like this. It means different things to different people, but all of them are political. We are okay here with discussing specific matters directly relevant to the game that have political implications, but not with general political point making, so no general complaints about “wokeness” please. If there is specific content you do or do not want to see, then please say exactly what and why, constructively and respectfully to those whose politics or life experience might be different from yours.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Yes, I am aware that the additional context you provided made clear you were using “woke” in the perjorative sense that is most often used to express disapproval of generally socially liberal attitudes, and that is why I objected to it. We are here to talk about games, not insult one anothers’ politics.

If anyone particularly wants to discuss the importance of representation in games, and specifically cRPGs, and how it can be done well or badly, then that’s fine but if so my expectation is that all involved will actively try to understand different perspectives, keep things constructive, and avoid confrontational (including perjorative) language.

I’d also ask anyone who has any issues with moderator interventions to pick up with me by PM rather than discuss in threads. The forum rules should soon be updated to provide clarification on our expectations on this front.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
I didn't know you actually replied also in the thread, this is really not a big deal to me. I'll just remove my posts.

Last edited by fallenj; 21/05/23 02:33 AM.
veteran
veteran
Current fears hmm..

I have PS5 now, so I'm tempted to pick up BG3 for PS5 as well, but I'm afraid that a: i'll get used to the smoother/nicer graphics (I have an older PC), and b: no mods on PS5 frown

As for other fears? hmm, that the story will be a series of themepark rides instead of a gradually building strong narrative with a group of people that feels like a party. I WANT to like my companions and the story, so having those organic moments to get closer to them would be nice.

edit: Oh, one more fear, that combat is more important than the story.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 21/05/23 04:05 AM.
veteran
veteran
A fear or at least, modest concern of mine (which is also an expectation honestly) is that because of the structure of the game, the places we get to see will be pretty limited. It won't be like we're seeing the sword coast region, but that act one will be this region we're in now, act 2 will be Baldur's Gate and maybe the area directly beyond its walls, and act three will be back in the Hells, and one section of hell to boot. The thing that makes this an actual worry for me is that I worry that level of constraint will blunt the supposed epic feeling of the story. Larian has shown themselves to not take the limitations they have seriously when figuring out their story, so it seems far too possible that they'll just try and make a story that doesn't work for the way they're structuring the game.

addict
addict
The number of hours above the 485 I have already put in! - best game ever ! Cant wait for 31 August…
Other than that zero fear only anticipation

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by Demothios
Abdel is the Absolute… 😨
I thought the game year is supposed to be several years after his death?

Death is more of an annoying inconvenience in the FR.

See Volo, Minsc, Elminster, Edwina… lol for reference!

Now Imoen she can be the Absolute…. Hi YA! Time to die

Technically, Minsc was turned to stone so he was not ''dead''. Call it suspended animation. As for Edwina, as far as we know, she never died. Unless I don't remember her BG2 epilogue correctly...

Last edited by Gt27mustang; 22/05/23 10:55 AM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
Speaking of Volo - he is Human, right? How come he is still around?
I don't remember Edwina from BG2 - she must had not left a lasting impression :P

Last edited by Buba68; 22/05/23 11:31 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Now Imoen she can be the Absolute…. Hi YA! Time to die

heya its me the absolute, My blade will cut you down to size, If I have to fight to get out of here SO be it! your NOT going to keep me here
oooh ill show you a fight "UGH", IV DONE HAVE ANUFF OF THIS, "WAHhh" - come on now, dont let me suffer in this place, we've both had enough of that.
Someone give me a hand over here, Please? I dont feel like I fit in with the people in the city anymore, but this place is just too darn creepy, I really want out of here.
Glad to see another day... I think the light hurts my eyes though, might as well be up and about?, dont think id sleep anyway..

good to go? , gotcha , alright alright.... this way then? ... you can count on me ... just like old times ........ .

old hand
old hand
Then how did Bhaal resurrect when Imoen was supposed to be the last Bhaal child still alive?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Buba68
Speaking of Volo - he is Human, right? How come he is still around?
I don't remember Edwina from BG2 - she must had not left a lasting impression :P
same reason as Minsc. he got petrified by a magical trap and did not get freed until the second sundering.

veteran
veteran
The Imoen's Bhaal-essence was filter out as a result of Irenicus experimenting on, and removing her soul, right? I forget how they wrote around that in Throne of Bhaal.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sozz
The Imoen's Bhaal-essence was filter out as a result of Irenicus experimenting on, and removing her soul, right? I forget how they wrote around that in Throne of Bhaal.

Yes but the MC as well as Imoen got their souls restored which were stolen by Irenicus and Bodhi and with that also Bhaal's essence because Sarevok could restore his body in ToB when Imoen instead of the MC helped Sarevok with some of Bhaal's essence. Also, why would only the MC get back the essence of Bhaal during soul restoration?

Imoen should be dead: "Imoen was believed to have died some time before the Year of the Narthex Murders, 1482 DR, as the only two remaining Bhaalspawn at that time were Abdel Adrian and Viekang." - Source: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Imoen

veteran
veteran
The way I maybe head cannoned it, Irenicus was trying to concentrate the Bhaal-essence into himself, giving Bodhi Imoen's soul but taking the god essence he needed for his grand scheme. Of course Imoen's essence level was lesser than the MC...for reasons, the PC's Bhaal-rating was of course over 9000.

It's also true that removing the soul still left trace amounts of Bhaal's essence behind, we become the Slayer during this period, which I still figured would be enough to spread around to Sarevok.

Looking up a video of the ending to Throne of Bhaal, Imoen surrenders her Bhaal essence to the PC. I'm not sure what happens if Sarevok is there.

Interesting is this line
Solar: Only one other spawn of the dead god remains... the sibling who fought at your side.

I'm sure the Solar was just confused.

Considering how much of 4e seems to have fallen by the wayside, I hope they quietly shuffle the Abdel Adrian stuff away.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Abdel Adrian is featured in the 5E campaign Murder in Baldur’s Gate and recently had an MtG card printed of him. So he is very much canon. I hope the Larian just leave references to the Bhaalspawn as vague as possible. Nobody wants their headcanon Bhaalspawn intruded upon by Abdel.

veteran
veteran
They remade Murder in Baldur's Gate for 5e? I'm not sure how canon to take Magic the Gathering.

It seems they wrote it while 5e was being playtested? I guess the events of Murder in Baldur's Gate were a prelude to the Sundering. I'm not sure how canon to take that either.

Last edited by Sozz; 22/05/23 06:16 PM. Reason: research!
L
addict
addict
L
the mtg set is perhaps more relevant, because it was a crossover promotion of BG III. And yeah, Abdel got a card unfortunately. But yeah, it was obviously made with BG III in mind, even if some of he cards are a bit out-of-date. (like Minthara has her original ringmail outfit and a curly haircut, and is a cleric)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sozz
The way I maybe head cannoned it, Irenicus was trying to concentrate the Bhaal-essence into himself, giving Bodhi Imoen's soul but taking the god essence he needed for his grand scheme. Of course Imoen's essence level was lesser than the MC...for reasons, the PC's Bhaal-rating was of course over 9000.

It's also true that removing the soul still left trace amounts of Bhaal's essence behind, we become the Slayer during this period, which I still figured would be enough to spread around to Sarevok.

Looking up a video of the ending to Throne of Bhaal, Imoen surrenders her Bhaal essence to the PC. I'm not sure what happens if Sarevok is there.

Interesting is this line
Solar: Only one other spawn of the dead god remains... the sibling who fought at your side.

I'm sure the Solar was just confused.

Considering how much of 4e seems to have fallen by the wayside, I hope they quietly shuffle the Abdel Adrian stuff away.

Ah I see. I can't remember it. I played way to much custom party back in days. smile Ok Imoen could give her essence to the MC but now I am confused bcs Viekang ist still alive as well as the "minor Bhaalspawn party" you encountered in Yaga-Shuras Enclave. It doesn't seem necessary after all that all Bhaalspawns have to die for Bhaals resurrection? Oh dear, hopefully Larian has come up with reasonable explanations if they were to go down this Abdel Adrian path... The main thing is that Imoen is not also a recurring companion!

Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard