Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
geala #845125 23/02/23 03:39 AM
Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by geala
Interesting discussion. It had to be a fair duel without racial advantages or disadvantages and only with normal non-magical items. Perhaps it's really random, and the turn based combat with initiative is not the best environment for fair duels, I think.

BTW, since a chest once stole my greatsword, I always have two spare +1 twohanders prepared in addition to the equipped weapon. laugh

Originally Posted by ZOZO1006

I want to point out something else the dps and survival race isnt favouring both paladin and barbarian.
The winner is Larian's Beast Master Ranger. With 5 attacks unlimited animal companion / frenzy raging boar with dex save prone . He have always advantage and hunters mark is unlimited. And can also dump dexterity to use heavy armor.
Currently nothing can beat the beast master with great weapon master + hunters mark.

You mean in combat against NPCs? Sounds so, although I find a Strength based Ranger boring and onesided, a bit like a Barbarian without the rage mechanic. In a duel against a player? The boar has 11 hp and AC 11, and the Ranger has no resistances against physical damage. Hmm.

The beast master rangers pet a are lvl up at lvl 5.
The boar pet get 30 something hp and Frenzy barbarian rage.
So he get 1 +1 attack and 50 % damage reduction +2 damage on everything same as barbarian. And he also received +3 to attack and armor class .
Its har to fight a class hou have a barbarian boar that can knok somone down every turn.
And in this case sanctuary dont even help cuz the boar rush attack is an aoe.

geala #845126 23/02/23 03:49 AM
Z
addict
addict
Z

After patch 9 i falled in love with the bg3 beast master.
I hope it will be like this cuz they maked the (worst class in dnd)ranger great again .
I suggest evry one to try it out . I am a big fan of the paladin class but i cannot decide that when the full game will come out.
I should play a ranger or a paladin.

Last edited by ZOZO1006; 23/02/23 03:49 AM.
ZOZO1006 #845136 23/02/23 08:01 AM
geala Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by geala
Interesting discussion. It had to be a fair duel without racial advantages or disadvantages and only with normal non-magical items. Perhaps it's really random, and the turn based combat with initiative is not the best environment for fair duels, I think.

BTW, since a chest once stole my greatsword, I always have two spare +1 twohanders prepared in addition to the equipped weapon. laugh

I want to point out something else the dps and survival race isnt favouring both paladin and barbarian.
The winner is Larian's Beast Master Ranger. With 5 attacks unlimited animal companion / frenzy raging boar with dex save prone . He have always advantage and hunters mark is unlimited. And can also dump dexterity to use heavy armor.
Currently nothing can beat the beast master with great weapon master + hunters mark.

You mean in combat against NPCs? Sounds so, although I find a Strength based Ranger boring and onesided, a bit like a Barbarian without the rage mechanic. In a duel against a player? The boar has 11 hp and AC 11, and the Ranger has no resistances against physical damage. Hmm.

The beast master rangers pet a are lvl up at lvl 5.
The boar pet get 30 something hp and Frenzy barbarian rage.
So he get 1 +1 attack and 50 % damage reduction +2 damage on everything same as barbarian. And he also received +3 to attack and armor class .
Its har to fight a class hou have a barbarian boar that can knok somone down every turn.
And in this case sanctuary dont even help cuz the boar rush attack is an aoe.

Ok, I see. So maybe it is actually good especially for duels. smile

But what about normal gameplay? The problem with Prone applied by a different party member for me is that it often does not fit into the sequence of actions, in the cases where it only counts, very hard fights against a lot of enemies in difficult terrain. I prefer to have the possibility to have advantage on the acting char, even if that means advantage for others against me.

But the biggest problem of the "Boar Master" for me would be that it seems best to be melee with heavy weapons and heavy armor, very unappealing to my idea of a Ranger. What about the raven with his blinding ability and ranged damage of the Ranger or melee damage with finesse weapons? Should give advantage too, and the targets cannot get up, like from Prone, and deny the effect depending on acting order? Is that a Wisdom saving throw? Surely the damage wouldn't be anything near melee with GWM.

geala #845141 23/02/23 09:09 AM
Z
addict
addict
Z
"For normal gameplay."
Well yes the raven is just the 3th best option.
The ai always target the boar and he have unbuffed 27 hp multiple x2 cuz he is resistant .
I was really satisfied beacause you can apply mage armor an shield of fate on the boar boosing up his ac to 19.
And he have 1 aoe damage that can deal around 2d4+4+4+3.
And a single target 1d6+4+4+3+1d4.
Thats brutal and the top if that he is knoking down.

The second best is the spider specially if you have fire resistans and the everburn blade .
Also the spider can disable traps as well and make you immune to fall damage .
This class is so good i had the most fun with the beast master.
Also there are so many synergy between the class and some item's. Like good 🫐 and bless ring + comfort boots 1-4+3 temphp x 16 round of bless. Combined with great weapon master pff...its insane also spder web+ wasteland survival + everburn is super good as well.
And there is so much more.

Last edited by ZOZO1006; 23/02/23 09:47 AM.
geala #845148 23/02/23 12:17 PM
veteran
veteran
OFFTOPiC Question:
Is that how beastmaster should work? O_o I mean acording to tabletop rules.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
geala #845151 23/02/23 01:46 PM
F
addict
addict
F
Not at all. TT Beastmaster ranger is one of the weakest subclasses to play unless you have thorough knowledge of animal stats, then it's at parity. e.g. Flying snake is a good choice for jungle rangers.

BG3 has buffed tons of stuff, from Half-elves, Tieflings, Ancients paladins, weapon abilities, etc. Some of it for better-ment of world-building and options, other because computers can handle the math.

TT has a lot more exploration and social powers. E.g. Beastmaster can call variety of animals for heists or camp defense, paladin can sense fiends in disguise, clerics can cast Auguries to give limited future guidance, etc...

ZOZO1006 #845324 24/02/23 11:10 AM
geala Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
"For normal gameplay."
Well yes the raven is just the 3th best option.
The ai always target the boar and he have unbuffed 27 hp multiple x2 cuz he is resistant .
I was really satisfied beacause you can apply mage armor an shield of fate on the boar boosing up his ac to 19.
And he have 1 aoe damage that can deal around 2d4+4+4+3.
And a single target 1d6+4+4+3+1d4.
Thats brutal and the top if that he is knoking down.

I still think it's much stronger to have your advantage ability on board instead on a companion, but the rest of Beastmaster sounds ... astonishing. My experience with Wyll is that a minion like the flying imp can be very strong (while the poor Quasit is mediocre), it's at least additional damage and a damage soaker. So I get it that the Beastmaster is a beast.

What about the Hunter subclass? Wyll has all the Warlock abilitites + a minion, the Hunter Ranger has no companion (except the weak normal ones). Out of Colossus Slayer his features are meh, very situational at least. As Colossus Slayer he deals additional 1d8 to targets not at full health, that's 4.5 average. If the boar can deal 17 damage (?) average per turn (?) to single targets, why would someone ever choose Hunter over Beastmaster? Did Larian overdo it a bit?

geala #845327 24/02/23 11:21 AM
Z
addict
addict
Z
Well beast master hou's choice is to have 8 dex and uses heavy armor will almost always lose initiative. Thats mean the beast will go first that was my initial idea. And in this way that beasmater have almost always advantage the only thing or down side ,is just the luck factor or the type of beast . Cuz some of them giving aoe advantage like boar and spider. And some of them just for single tartget like bear wolf and raven.

The point is to take hunter ranger if you are inexperienced with dnd or bg 3 .
Its too difficult to understand and an extra companion it makes thinks harder.
Also some ppl don't like to have summoning.

But as i sayed before i like Larian's version of ranger beast master. Cuz generally ranger is the worst class in dnd its always ranked as D tier.

That's why most ppl that are big fans of druid and ranger stayed with pathfinder. But it looks like Larian fixed this.

Last edited by ZOZO1006; 24/02/23 11:29 AM.
geala #845395 24/02/23 04:18 PM
geala Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well, it's not as if this game were especially difficult, and minions are very easy to use because it's turn based. But you cannot understand what you don't know, so deciding at lvl 3 without knowing the later possibilities is a bit unfair. Except the creator of the game grants all subclasses more or less equal performance. That's not entirely possible of course but the distance between Hunter (I played Hunter shortly after release) and Beastmaster seems huge, much bigger than for example between Light and Trickery domain for Clerics.

Not anybody can check all the different choices themselves. I try to decide what I'm going to play at release among only three classes (Cleric, Fighter or Barbarian) and it's already quite exhausting to play all the variants to lvl 5. Maybe Hunter should be buffed.

geala #845411 24/02/23 05:53 PM
Z
addict
addict
Z
I understan you.

But sadly DND 5e isnt really balanced .
The real problem with ranger that they where the worst.

Druids have some better options but only (expansion) books.

Ranger Beast master was medicore but like 10 times better than normal ranger after tasha's cauldron.
IT suppose to work like this *ish* i can say that the ranger choice of animal companions are much more better then this.
And actual the animal companion sould use the bonus action of the ranger when he wants to attack or do something.
IT isnt far away from this.
But i like Larians version better.

geala #850647 22/05/23 05:42 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
When fighting a raging Barbarian, wouldn't a good tactic be Shove+Run Away! Run Away! furthest distance possible, with aid of potion/whatever, thus denying attack opportunity and ending the Rage?
And then counterattacking ... ?

Last edited by Buba68; 22/05/23 05:46 PM.
geala #850649 22/05/23 05:56 PM
veteran
veteran
Depends ...
Are we talking about BG-3, or tabletop?

And if BG-3 is the case, who is figting the Barbarian, what they have at their disposal, and same question goes to Barbarian. laugh

Fun fact:
In tabletop its not so easy to wait when Barbarian ends his rage, bcs (unless your DM is especialy pedant) there is littealy no rule against attacking ... yourself! laugh
So Barbarian without target in meele range can easily prolong his rage by beating his own chest as unarmed attack ... with resistance, the damage is minimal. laugh

And if you want to make it even funnier, remember that there is not specified even what exactly is unarmed attack ... so you can claim you headbuted your shield instead. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Depends ...
In tabletop its not so easy to wait when Barbarian ends his rage, bcs (unless your DM is especialy pedant) there is littealy no rule against attacking ... yourself! laugh
So Barbarian without target in meele range can easily prolong his rage by beating his own chest as unarmed attack ... with resistance, the damage is minimal. laugh
You are talking about the RAW crowd - I've had enough of such people when playing tabletop WFB/WH40K. No thanks.

And I was thinking about BG3.

Last edited by Buba68; 22/05/23 06:06 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard