Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
B
I genuinely don't see how multiplayer being an option makes single player less good.
BG3 is literally the best game I played in 12 years and I thoroughly enjoy it both in single player and multiplayer.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Brewman
I genuinely don't see how multiplayer being an option makes single player less good.
BG3 is literally the best game I played in 12 years and I thoroughly enjoy it both in single player and multiplayer.
I am glad you like it.

As someone who plays RPG in singleplayer only, I find quite a few perplexing designs in BG3 that can only be explained as "but multiplayer". I also find some usual RPG features that I value very much - quality of custom protagonist dialogue choces and writing, companions, immersion - to be below a standard I grew accustomed to. Some of them might not be result of multiplayer but just quality of the content, but for example I am convinced that companions are affected by being NPCs, playable characters and coop buddy avatars. Similarly custom character's content will likely serve as a basis for origin content as well, which would explain why it's so bland and non-discript.

BG3 is impressive in terms of much it does, but I personally value games that do fewer things very well, over a game with multiple underdeveloped ideas. The problem that by reaching for such a wide audience, I don't care for a lot of what BG3 offers, while what interests me is of mixed quality.

Last edited by Wormerine; 30/05/23 05:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
Just throwing my agreement behind Wormerine.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Just throwing my agreement behind Wormerine.

+1

My hope was this was due to it being EA...

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 30/05/23 08:41 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Brewman
I am glad you like it.

As someone who plays RPG in singleplayer only, I find quite a few perplexing designs in BG3 that can only be explained as "but multiplayer". I also find some usual RPG features that I value very much - quality of custom protagonist dialogue choces and writing, companions, immersion - to be below a standard I grew accustomed to. Some of them might not be result of multiplayer but just quality of the content, but for example I am convinced that companions are affected by being NPCs, playable characters and coop buddy avatars. Similarly custom character's content will likely serve as a basis for origin content as well, which would explain why it's so bland and non-discript.

BG3 is impressive in terms of much it does, but I personally value games that do fewer things very well, over a game with multiple underdeveloped ideas. The problem that by reaching for such a wide audience, I don't care for a lot of what BG3 offers, while what interests me is of mixed quality.
+1

And to emphasize, the issue is not that it has MP. The issue is that many game design decisions have been made explicitly for the benefit of MP at the expense of the SP experience, for example how party movement is handled.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
The issue is that many game design decisions have been made explicitly for the benefit of MP at the expense of the SP experience, for example how party movement is handled.
I didn't mention party controls as I am doubtful if this is a choice that favours multiplayer. I can't see how it would make multiplayer experience better. In the best case scenario (full on 4 player coop) one controls one character and the game plays about as well if the game used the classic system. Also most post KOTOR Bioware singleplayer RPGs used similar control scheme - I suspect Larian is just following the newer trend.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Therefore for me, ALL computer games should be SP, with MP added on in some of those games if it makes sense and can be technically done. But SP should be the focus - ALWAYS.

Huh, I’ll admit that seems an unwarrantedly strong statement to me.

Sure. I was wording it that way to offset and counter what I felt was an unwarrantedly strong claim by @Blackheifer about MP over SP.

And I fully appreciate that, as Blackheifer says, when there’s a game that can manage to be great fun as a multiplayer as well as satisfying as a single player experience ....
Sorry, but I said what I said earlier precisely because I don't believe this is possible. And I don't find this to be true for any games that I am familiar with, an admittedly small sample heavily skewed towards cRPGs. The things that go into making an MP game good run counter to a good SP experience, and I suspect vice versa. And this seems to be the very conclusion that major RPG studios like Bethesda, Bioware, and CDPR have come to, because they have released statements saying as much, saying they don't believe it is possible for them to make a game with both SP and MP where both end up equally good, and that adding in MP does take away from the SP experience, and so they are going to be making SP-only games or MP-only games with the SP-only games being their main focus.

I would invite you to consider that the problem isn't multiplayer -it's RTWP. RTWP is just a bad system overall and completely incompatible for multiplayer. Or another way to put that is IF you are going to make a RTWP game then you should only make it single player.

OR if you are going to make an RTWP game then you have to remove the pause ability in Multiplayer. Although I can't argue that was the only problem with bg1 and 2 multiplayer. It was just bad on so many levels I mean you have to all stay on the same map AND you have to transition together. Ugh.

It's just a little ludicrous to me that people think Multiplayer is the problem. I don't think singleplayer is the problem - I love Single Player as well*. I am going to play Bg3 in both multiplayer and single player because in single player I will be able to go slower and read everything properly and enjoy all the lore and atmosphere.

Meanwhile Turn-based and full Real Time work great with both single and multiplayer and one doesn't detract from the other.

*I retract my earlier statement about D&D meant to be played as multiplayer. Sometimes you just want to play by yourself and that's fine.

Blackheifer
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Okay, folks, I just want to point out that the comments that this latest set of posts are responding to were a couple of months old.

As always, I have no problem with necro-ing threads on an old topic rather than starting a new one if someone has something new to say, but would suggest we’re clear on why we’re reopening the discussion so we don’t inadvertently resurrect every strand of conversation and digression in the thread.

Not that I’m saying that’s what’s happening here, just thought it was worth flagging the age of the original comments in case anyone hadn’t noticed.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
It’s an elvish post age is of little concern 😂j/k

veteran
veteran
The issue is that many game design decisions have been made explicitly for the benefit of MP at the expense of the SP experience, for example how party movement is handled.
I didn't mention party controls as I am doubtful if this is a choice that favours multiplayer. I can't see how it would make multiplayer experience better. In the best case scenario (full on 4 player coop) one controls one character and the game plays about as well if the game used the classic system. Also most post KOTOR Bioware singleplayer RPGs used similar control scheme - I suspect Larian is just following the newer trend.
The way I see it, in the classic way of controling the whole party (click a button or gather by drawing a box with the mouse) one person could conceivably take control of the whole party, whereas with this chain method a person has to manually link their character to the party for someone else to gain control of their character. But there ought to be very easy ways around this in MP, so I dunno. The abomination that is the uniquely-Larian chain method just seems like Larian's being cussed: "We invented it so we're gonna' stick with it no matter how utterly stupid and horrible it is."

veteran
veteran
Okay, folks, I just want to point out that the comments that this latest set of posts are responding to were a couple of months old.

As always, I have no problem with necro-ing threads on an old topic rather than starting a new one if someone has something new to say, but would suggest we’re clear on why we’re reopening the discussion so we don’t inadvertently resurrect every strand of conversation and digression in the thread.

Not that I’m saying that’s what’s happening here, just thought it was worth flagging the age of the original comments in case anyone hadn’t noticed.
Why is this such a big deal? I'd much rather have thread necroing than people creating new duplicate threads willy-nilly or the mods merging threads into ridiculous "mega" threads.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Why is this such a big deal? I'd much rather have thread necroing than people creating new duplicate threads willy-nilly or the mods merging threads into ridiculous "mega" threads.

Perhaps read the message of mine that you quoted again, as I feel I’d just be repeating myself and thought I was clear that it’s not a big deal

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
The way I see it, in the classic way of controling the whole party (click a button or gather by drawing a box with the mouse) one person could conceivably take control of the whole party, whereas with this chain method a person has to manually link their character to the party for someone else to gain control of their character."
I don't know if anything changed in BG3 but in D:OS1&2 who controls who is a separate UI from the chain system. You would assign what characters are under whose control and that's it. Chain was used to managed character who are already under your control only.

veteran
veteran
The way I see it, in the classic way of controling the whole party (click a button or gather by drawing a box with the mouse) one person could conceivably take control of the whole party, whereas with this chain method a person has to manually link their character to the party for someone else to gain control of their character."
I don't know if anything changed in BG3 but in D:OS1&2 who controls who is a separate UI from the chain system. You would assign what characters are under whose control and that's it. Chain was used to managed character who are already under your control only.
Well that's good to know.

But that still leaves the question of why Larian would insist on using this party movement mechanic instead of an existing widely-used one that works perfectly well.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard