Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Plus in terms of the game itself, they don't have brains. The tadpole needs to literally, physically eat those brains in order to transform them. And the physicality of the creature in question does matter, otherwise halfling mindflayers wouldn't turn out so absurdly adorable. Also, where would they even come from? If they really are from Gortasb then they'd look like steel watchers, which are not gonna be able to wear armor or anything.

It is debatable.
Chris Perkins said : "Any humanoid creature, regardless of height, can be turned into a mind flayer through the process of ceremorphosis. #wotcstaff"
Jeremy Crawford : Warforged aren't constructs. They're artificial humanoids, which means the rules treat them like humanoids. #DnD
Official sourcebook Eberron : Rising from the Last War, they are humanoid. Although they were manufactured, warforged are living humanoids.

Multiverse and gates/planar travel is a theme in BG3 and is more and more trendy for Wotc.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
My thing is, the tadpoles have teeth. The process isn't purely magical or metaphysical. They still bite and eat and that's likely to go as well for them as a human trying to bite and eat a warforged.

veteran
veteran
You think think so?
Yes. laugh
I allways think so, when i say so. wink

To me warforged are machines. Not just textured humans

I dont think this is mutualy exclusive ...
[Linked Image from wargamer.com]

you have to have joints, mechanical bits, lots of segments and just a whole bunch of detail
And you can ...
Its just that it would be part of your model.

Have you ever played SW:ToR?
There is several models of prostetic armors ... arms, legs, even belly!
And how does it work? Well, easily ofc ... you simply take model of humanoid body (wich warforged have) and instead of skin, you apply models of pipes, cables and electronics ... beauty of this is that you can make models thin in any part you want, ending with something like:
[Linked Image from swtorista.com]

Same goes for Warforged ...
You want them to look like in first picture? No problem! Just make another body model textured like that, nothing easier. smile

The only thing that may cause troubles, is that in tabletop Warforged dont "wear" armor ... they attach it to their bodies directly ... not really sure what that mean, but i allways read it as if Warforged just remove all those tapes and straps holding armor together, and screw the plate right on his chest for example. laugh
Question is tho, if we really need such thing ...
I mean, there is no "amor removal" mechanic in game, our characters dont need to change for sleep (thank Gods) ... so would it be really such a huge issue if they would simply wear their armor like everyone else? Dunno ... not for me tho. laugh

(plus even then genasi can have things like fiery hair or cryst hair that's gotta be addressed too)
Wich is once again, just different model. smile
Doubt it would be any problem ... practicaly anything "can" grow out of our character head ... hair, feathers, fur, snakes ... you name it, it can be done ... question is if it will be.

They don't necessarily have human musculature and places like their calves and forearms tend to be more like rods than human shaped limbs
Well, there allways needs to be some compromise made ...
Tieflings are also supposed to be able look exactly as a human ... and yet, they simply have to have a claws, sharp teeths and tail in this game. wink

and then giving them facial options is complicated too since they don't really have detailed human faces and have more like... Iron giant style faces without much detail.
And why is that a problem?
As far as i know, we are picking from list of heads (feel free to call it faces if you wish) ... rather than create one by our own hands.

Plus in terms of the game itself, they don't have brains. The tadpole needs to literally, physically eat those brains in order to transform them.
Well ...

where would they even come from?
And where from is our Tav coming from? smile
Some things are just left opened on purpose. wink

---

Originally Posted by snowram
Want a tabaxi? Pain it with fur.
Thats not a Tabaxi, thats Anime Cat-Girl. xD
Without ears!

Originally Posted by snowram
Divinity understood that very well and even elves who usually are just humans with pointy ears in the general culture were unmistakable for anything else.
Kinda shame then that in BG-3 they once again are just humans with pointy ears, huh? :-/

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=841520&page=1

---

//Edit:
Originally Posted by Lunar Dante
Jeremy Crawford : Warforged aren't constructs. They're artificial humanoids, which means the rules treat them like humanoids. #DnD
Official sourcebook Eberron : Rising from the Last War, they are humanoid. Although they were manufactured, warforged are living humanoids.
I allways thought Warforged are something like Reapers from Mass Effect ...
Or everyone in Mass Effect after you pick synergy ending ...

I believe its called biomechanical ... on surface it may seems like a machine, but in fact its ... well, both and neither simultaneously ... its a living organism, that is also machine, just not entirely, a being that works on completely different basis than either of them. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 16/06/23 10:00 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
My thing is, the tadpoles have teeth. The process isn't purely magical or metaphysical. They still bite and eat and that's likely to go as well for them as a human trying to bite and eat a warforged.

A good chunk of a warforged is actually living wood, not metal, unlike Autognomes, which are almost entirely metal or none living materials, which is my Fanon reason why Warforged are concidered humaniods and Autognomes are concidered contructs.

So yeah a Tadpole could chew through the wooden parts like a termite.

addict
addict
Well... Gnomes for sure. Since what we have right now are pointed hear halflings wink

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 16/06/23 11:47 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I am expecting Dragonborn, half-orc
We allready seen few Half-Orcs in several promotion materials ...
And they seemed quite good at first sight.

As for Dragonborns, i have no doubt they will be included ... important question is tho: How will they look?
//Edit:
Since this isnt exactly reasuring. :-/
Originally Posted by ALexws
actually someone point it out that we did see a little of dragonborn.[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Edit.//

I mean ... since basicaly start of EA, people were complaining about Elves, Dwarf Beards, and Niara provided EXTREMELY well written and detailed feedback about Halflings ...
And yet, nothing happened. :-/

Originally Posted by The Red Queen
(plus we know the game can do wings)
I thought Aasimar dont have wings. O_o

Can't really tell if that was a Lizardfolk or Dragonborn for certain.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
Well... Gnomes for sure. Since what we have right now are pointed hear halflings wink

Well, obviously you’re the gnome connoisseur, but I actually thought the gnome models and animation in BG3 were pretty damn good and distinctive. Whereas the halflings I find unplayably bad, or at least the halfling female model, the male one is okayish.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Lunar Dante
Multiverse and gates/planar travel is a theme in BG3 and is more and more trendy for Wotc.

As long as no Phyrexians or Warhammer Orcs are connected to Faerûn, all is well...

L
addict
addict
L
It really should go without saying that this would be a pretty major retcon. Mindflayers used to be heavily restricted over which creatures could be turned into a mindflayer due to, y'know *biological compatibility*. Obviously a tadpole can't consume and replace/merge with the host brain if it has none to begin with, and mutating a metal and wood frame into a fleshy mindflayer body? Yeah, I challenge anyone to see that play out in a cutscene and not immediately get pulled right our of their immersion.

veteran
veteran
Why everyone is talking about "turning"? O_o
My characters dont intend to turn ... so however (and even if) such scenario would happen, dont seems to be anyhow relevant ... you get what i mean right? Ability to transform is only relevant if you are actually going to transform.

We all know theese are not normal tadpoles, they dont consume our brain, dont replace it with their own matter ... also, as we know, True Souls have brain washed ... but is that just some torture/conditioning process, is that work of a Tadpole, is that some ritual, or is that some powerfull spell? Nobody knows!
Aswell as nobody knows if Tadpole isnt part of the process just as ... lets say reagent.

Since this is entirely new Tadpole, wich (as we know) can quite drasticaly change established rules (for Vampire Spawns for example) ... and since Illithinds are known for their genetic experimentation ... it just dont seem that far fetched that our potential Warforged would be implanted with one just to simply "observe what it will do". laugh

After all ... even Halflings, Gnomes and Goblins get implanted ...
And by established rules for "regular tadpoles" they are not compatible!

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 16/06/23 01:15 PM.

Illithids may also transform beholders (there is one in the comics with Minsc), dragons, etc... Volo Guide to Monster, Fizzban Treaasury...

veteran
veteran
I believe Illithids at least try to turn basicaly anything.
And what have good results, they kepp turning futher. laugh

Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
I have a novel where X-Men and Star Trek crossover called Planet X, so there are stranger crossovers then D&D and MtG.

I seriously and utterly doubt anything from MtG will be in BG3. Like, -100% chance outside of MAYBE a nod or easter egg. For their first chance at something this big and the first return to an iconic series in such a long time, it'd be hard to imagine they would ever choose something far off DnD before adding something else from DnD. The Magic the Gathering crossover stuff has been very divisive in the MtG community and already plans off the wildly multiversal nature of MtG (like, even more extreme than DnD) where basically every span of sets is a new world and history and planeswalkers walk planes, so they just hand-waved adding in known IPs.

Like, Warhammer 40k...

So no, I wouldn't take it seriously. It's obvious the only reason WoTC is doing this is to milk $$$$$$$$$.

However, you're not wrong. There are some weird canonic crossovers in existence, such as Sonic the Hedgehog and Megaman...

addict
addict
Speaking of crossovers and unannounced races, does anyone think Larian might add in a race or class that’s a nod to DOS2? Maybe it’s a subclass inspired by a DOS2 build, or it could be a single ability, like the Transmutation wizard getting access to Chicken Claw or something?

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Flooter
Speaking of crossovers and unannounced races, does anyone think Larian might add in a race or class that’s a nod to DOS2? Maybe it’s a subclass inspired by a DOS2 build, or it could be a single ability, like the Transmutation wizard getting access to Chicken Claw or something?

No, I don't expect Larian to do anything as big and controversial as that, though I wouldn't be surprised if they put in the odd Easter Egg for D:OS fans that will no doubt go over my head. I'd even see that as upholding an honourable tradition in BG games which also included a number of references to unconnected universes, though when it comes to referencing the studio's own IP I can only recall the Mass Effect reference in DA:O. (Btw, I'd forgotten until I came across it in my current BG1 playthrough about The Chesley Crusher halberd, which was "first wielded by the much-maligned Ensign Chesley of the first exploratory fleet of Waterdeep" grin).

We also already know there'll be some D:OS2 themed items available as Digital Deluxe DLC (so free to early access players), but I expect those to be given "proper" D&D abilities, such as Fane's shapeshifting helmet permitting us to cast Disguise Self or Alter Self x times per rest.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
enthusiast
enthusiast
I mean ... since basicaly start of EA, people were complaining about Elves, Dwarf Beards, and Niara provided EXTREMELY well written and detailed feedback about Halflings ...
Below are the official D&D 5e depictions of the Player's Handbook races.

Any stylistic changes Larian has made have been approved by Wizards of the Coast.

[Linked Image from dndbeyond.com]

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
I've been fairly certain of some type of construct companion since EA started. There is no point to the self stun on the Light of Creation otherwise.
It may not be called Warforged, and it may only be a recruited companion and not a starter option. We'll see on that.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Alodar
Below are the official D&D 5e depictions of the Player's Handbook races.

Any stylistic changes Larian has made have been approved by Wizards of the Coast.

The fact that the hands of Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings have become as big as their heads, WotC should rather not have approved...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Alodar
Two things...

1) Im not exactly sure this is true.

2) Even if it would ... so what?
Just bcs owner of the IP things something is good doesnt mean that i have to love it. :-/

L
addict
addict
L
Yeah, plus there's the matter of whether or not Larian needed to deviate stylistically and get WoTC's approval in the first place on some of these areas. Like making the elves look like pointy eared-humans-I doubt that's something that WoTC specifically dictated, and Larian themselves made elves with an aesthetic that was fairly divergent from humans, so their choice seems fairly odd in that regard, TBH. 'big head' halflings and gnomes at least have been a thing in editions besides 3rd, so I can *get* that, but yeah. Esp when you have half elves in the game as well-why go with that? Seriously, Shadowheart and Asterion could have been swapped in regards to their elven/half elven background three patches ago and I wouldn't have noticed.

And some big 'multiversal' crossover thing being in BG III would be most unwelcome imo. I didn't sign up to EA to play that, and I really don't want to see the FR/D&D universe bend and break any further than it already has these past two editions thanks to WoTC's meddling. That's just not something I wanna see, much less immerse myself into an interactive 100-hour gaming experience with.

Eberron was designed as a standalone setting with its own worldbuilding/cosmology/etc that was unique to itself and not designed to interact with the other settings. WoTC has been screwing with that in recent years (as well with other standalone-designed settings), but I don't want to see it. I'm dreading the possibility of Warforged in Toril from the datamines already.- and I standby my assessment that Larian is leaning *far* too hard on 'the tadpoles can do anything narratively convenient' already.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard