Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Buba68
BTW - what was the birdman on the Parole Review Panel?
Gave me bad vibes reminding me of the petting zoo freakshow of Star Wars.
Pretty sure it is an aarakokra. It can't be a kenku considering is has wings.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Thanks!
Aarakokra?
Never heard of them ...
Oh, what about the cat people? Sir Anal Retentive pulled their (miraculously still alive) baby from the fish's throat ...

Last edited by Buba68; 22/05/23 10:56 AM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Buba68
Thanks!
Aarakokra?
Never heard of them ...
Oh, what about the cat people? Sir Anal Retentive pulled their (miraculously still alive) baby from the fish's throat ...
Those are tabaxis! There are tons of animal based races in DnD.
https://screenrant.com/dungeons-dragons-5e-playable-races-real-animals/

veteran
veteran
Took me long enough ... so i dont really know if anyone still cares about the movie. :-/
But i finaly seen it!

And i must say, im not disapointed ... but honestly after all that praise everyone was singing, i somehow expected ... i dunno, just more. laugh

I mean ... it was great movie.
Action was great, jokes were great (and they didnt disrupt the movie, wich i find quite rare lately), story was ... well, clasic, but good ... chacters were great.

I just cant help the feeling that something was missing, as if i somehow lost half of the movie.

Like the arena ... yes, it was great, lots of refferences, lots of cool stuff, great jokes, great action, yada yada ... but honestly, was was its point? :-/
Same thing basicaly every time the Bard meet his daughter, characters (and no offence but ... as they often do in American films) do or say litteraly anything, but the most logical and natural thing ... the truth!
Ofc, i understand there had to be lots of lore explanation for audience that never seen DnD before ... but there was A LOT of that. frown
And finaly ... final boss ... i mean, it was GREAT plan, but execution was ... i dunno, just not satisfying enough. :-/

Its still solid 8/10 for me ...
But i dunno, i feel like it could be so much better. :-/
Maybe in few years, as all cut scenes leak out, or will be released as some Premium users bonus content. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Took me long enough ... so i dont really know if anyone still cares about the movie. :-/
But i finaly seen it!

And i must say, im not disapointed ... but honestly after all that praise everyone was singing, i somehow expected ... i dunno, just more. laugh

Its still solid 8/10 for me ...
But i dunno, i feel like it could be so much better. :-/
Maybe in few years, as all cut scenes leak out, or will be released as some Premium users bonus content. laugh

I hear you, it's not a perfect film - like it's not Citizen Cane or The Godfather or Lord of the Rings.

It helps if you judge it in context of previous D&D films which have all been hot garbage, and a lot of RPG fantasy movie adaptations have been pretty terrible...ever watch the World of Warcraft movie? - it's shit...easily the worst of the worst.

I wasn't expecting Casablanca, and was hoping for halfway decent and thus I was happy that it exceeded my expectations.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
It helps if you judge it in context of previous D&D films which have all been hot garbage, and a lot of RPG fantasy movie adaptations have been pretty terrible...
Yeah ...
Even tho i still think that for their time, they were quite good ... not superb, just not terible either. smile

Anlso ... old DnD movie got us priceless pearls ... like this scene:
xD

ever watch the World of Warcraft movie? - it's shit...easily the worst of the worst.
I did ...
And i have mixed feelings about it.

I think person who have little to none knowledge about Warcraft universe could really enjoy it ... from visual sides, there was not really much to complain about ... sure, some weapons and armors were ridiculous, but they were exactly as ridiculous as they allways was in Warcraft. laugh
+ There was really lots of easter eggs for casual players.

But then there are people who DO know lore ... and we suffered every second of that story. frown

I think Warcraft movie had potential ...
Could be like ten times better, if they wouldnt pick "Michael Bay approach" (meaning explosions, action, another explosions, lots of cuts, explosions, fast scenes, explosions, chaotic camera movement, explosions, cgi, explosions ... did i mention explosions?). frown
And if they would decide to make it 2 part movie and SLOOOOOOW down. frown

veteran
veteran
I wanted to stream D&D this weekend, but it's not available in my country. It's a bit annoying that they make it harder to pay for something legally than find it illegally.

old hand
old hand
For me it was a passable 6/10. Many of the best scenes I have already seen in the trailer. So the film could not surprise me anymore. But that was also due to the design of the trailer. I've seen many trailers for other movies, but they didn't give so much away and the movies still had moments of surprise. The jokes were just on the limit of being okay. Some dialogues, on the other hand, crossed a red line for me as they used a way too modern language and / or behavior (coolness) and thus tore me out of immersion. Sometimes it was very well timed, other times just too over the top.

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 22/06/23 05:09 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
ever watch the World of Warcraft movie? - it's shit...easily the worst of the worst.

But then there are people who DO know lore ... and we suffered every second of that story. frown

I think Warcraft movie had potential ...
Could be like ten times better, if they wouldnt pick "Michael Bay approach" (meaning explosions, action, another explosions, lots of cuts, explosions, fast scenes, explosions, chaotic camera movement, explosions, cgi, explosions ... did i mention explosions?). frown
And if they would decide to make it 2 part movie and SLOOOOOOW down. frown

It was bad on a technical level, on a narrative level, and on a performance level. Bad directing, bad script, and bad acting.

They had so many great stories to work with here. Imagine taking the point of view as a new undead, and showing the existential horror and emptiness of that existence from a first person perspective. It could have been a series with multiple POV stories that start to intertwine.

Anyway, just saying in the context of these sorts of things Honor Among Thieves was pretty solid.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
let's just say I liked 'Dungeons and Dragons' the movie (2000), so I'm not exactly a discerning critic lol. I just want cheesy fantasy fun.

[Linked Image from misantropey.files.wordpress.com]

veteran
veteran
Imagine taking the point of view as a new undead, and showing the existential horror and emptiness of that existence from a first person perspective.
Like ...
When you played as Sylvanas in W3 ? laugh

Jokes aside ... this is awesome idea, but something you can afford do with established trademark ... no studio will start their universe with something this controversial ...
First you need few blockbusters, to get few trillions ... only after they would be willing to try something that may be for ... lets say more specific audience.

veteran
veteran
I confess that I liked the previous movies as well. It's just a state of mind you put yourself in. Sometimes you want a frito pie. Is good food? No. Good for your health? Oh hell no. Or, in the long run, your body image or a dozen other things.

Don't compare that to some Michelin restaurant and you'll be happy. If it sounds like I'm advocating for letting your standards take a holiday you're exactly right. Your standards will be waiting for you when you return ( although they may give you that same injured look your cat does when you return from night out)

But - having admitted I liked blue lipstick DnD - this was clearly the best. It was probably a little better than the last Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

B
old hand
old hand
B
What @KillerRabbit wrote - my mindset was "Imma watch a B movie" and I was happy with the fare smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
I wanted to stream D&D this weekend, but it's not available in my country. It's a bit annoying that they make it harder to pay for something legally than find it illegally.

The consquences then are on them.

You could buy the steel box blue ray & 4k set with digital download like I did (even though I watched the movie in the Threater).

PS anyone else want the full version of the cloth map of Faerun shown in the movie.

veteran
veteran
Yup. Agree with @KillerRabbit and @Boblawblah. Movies are always only about entertainment for me. I couldn't care less about quality writing or directing or whatever in a movie, and especially don't care about movies as "art." And cheese and silly humor are perfectly fine in movies. I also liked the old D&D movies, and will continue to like D&D movies so long as they continue to cater to ordinary people and NOT the stupid-ass movie critics.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Yup. Agree with @KillerRabbit and @Boblawblah. Movies are always only about entertainment for me. I couldn't care less about quality writing or directing or whatever in a movie, and especially don't care about movies as "art." And cheese and silly humor are perfectly fine in movies. I also liked the old D&D movies, and will continue to like D&D movies so long as they continue to cater to ordinary people and NOT the stupid-ass movie critics.

I mean, thats fair. A lot of movies don't require anything from the audience and I can enjoy those movies too. Also I wasn't making the case that D&D movies were any sort of high Art, nor was I really holding them to that standard.

Zoolander 2 was a shit movie but I still dressed up as Mugatu and had fun. Plan 9 from Outer Space is so bad that it's become a cult classic - it's unintentionally hilarious. The standard for these movies has only ever been entertainment, and that's all I am judging them by. Watching Jeremy Irons - who is a seriously talented actor - an award winning, classically trained, Shakespearean actor basically tear up the scenery with overacting is in itself really funny shit...oh Jeremy, how did this happen my friend?

This is all completely separate from Film that allows you to engage with it as entertainment or engage with it as art. Alien, BladeRunner, and Total Recall are great examples. You can just enjoy them as entertainment or you can step into the work and engage in critical analysis and analyze/discover mise en scène, thematic elements, homages and/or you can compare it to other films.

So yeah - I can look at a film and be like "Yeah it's total trash, completely lacking any subtext or thematic consistency but it's still entertaining." So to clarify, I found D&D: Honor among Thieves to have been the MOST entertaining of the lot. It did a great job blending humor and tragedy and getting you to feel invested in the characters - but I also feel my reaction to it was what the Directors intended. Where in previous movies the hilarity was less intentional.

Blackheifer
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard