Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
I do. I have the literal worst complaint ever, but to me it is huge. The female narrator of this game is just a sensational talent, as are all of the voice actors. That being said, for whatever reason, her voice to me is like the scene from Jaws - her voice destroys me like fingernails on a chalk board. To be clear, this has nothing to do with her talent, it is just a ME thing. I now have to minimize all voice actions because otherwise I literally couldn't play the game.

If the devs could find it in their hearts to allow some of us to maybe mute this amazing narrator I would be forever indebted. This is probably going to be one of my favorite games of all time, right up there with Pathfinder WoTR, Witcher 3, and all of the Divinities - yet this one thing is absolutely killing me.

Like I said, worst complaint ever. I get it.

veteran
veteran
I don't feel as strongly as you do about it, but I stated several times since the EA started that while Amelia Tayler is a great actress and did a terrific job as Malady (among other things) I also don't think she's a particularly good fit for the role of narrator.

Without even going too far, I preferred the old man who covered the same role in DOS 2, for instance.
Or the woman who narrated several parts of Pillars of Eternity 2.

(I apologize for not knowing the name of either).

Last edited by Tuco; 03/07/23 11:18 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
This is the worst complaint ever!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
I don't feel as strongly as you do about it, but I stated several times since the EA started that while Amelia Tayler is a great actress and did a terrific job as Malady (among other things) I also don't think she's a particularly good fit for the role of narrator.

Without even going too far, I preferred the old man who covered the same role in DOS 2, for instance.
Or the woman who narrated several parts of Pillars of Eternity 2.

(I apologize for not knowing the name of either).

I also preferred the old man from DOS, his voice is so smooth and can set the broader range of tones to the game. It was haunting when necessary, humorous when needed and neutral in general. Amelia Tayler has that particular haunt in her voice that seeps through every sentence. Always...

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
You're definitely not alone, OP, as various other folk have said this over the years. And it's true that a mute narrator option would probably be the easiest way to preserve the enjoyment of those unfortunate souls like yourself whose nerves she gets on.

Personally, I think Amelia Tyler does a fantastic job. I'll admit to begin with I was meh about the narrator voice, but as I've played more I've grown to appreciate how she can pack humour, sarcasm and a sort of eye-rolling tolerance into her performance with a barely noticeable change in tone. Somehow, for me, she manages to capture almost the tone of a typical video game narrator but convey just enough sense of a human behind the voice who is, like a DM, playing the game along with us. I'm definitely a convert.

Even more so after listening to the outtakes she released (another forum member shared the link here) which gave me more appreciation for her performance and sense of humour.

Though of course no amount of appreciation of a performance is going to help if you just find a voice like fingernails down a blackboard. I've been there with other games and I feel for you.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
journeyman
journeyman
And what a potty mouth she has at times!

Narrator outtakes #1

Personally I love all the voice work in the game.

Link Copied to Clipboard