Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hello

A game like this, where you can experience so much story and a lot of talking, it needs a fully localized version in the country where it is offered.

If you think it's not so bad, you can install the game in a foreign language you don't know and play it that way, preferably without knowing it by heart.
Take a new title and install it with foreign language to understand the situation.
Set a suitable subtitle and then read yourselves tired in the evening of the day and the immersion will easily break 30-50%.

You then turn off the spoken sound at the end anyway, because that only disturbs additionally while reading.

It is also a sign of the quality of a studio, if you can rely on the fact that you get such a role-playing game in your native language.
One saves here at the wrong end. The people who know little or no English, for them it is a relief to simply follow the game and you dive much better than if you have to translate everything and possibly even quickly, because the flow just runs through, etc..
I do not say so therefore. Try it out for yourself with the example as I described it and realize how much you lose from the game experience with it.

The dubbing in a German version, can also be gladly added via patch.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

old hand
old hand
+1 Not many Germans here in this Forum, but I definitely show solidarity for it.

PS: Wünschen tun es sich einige, aber es sieht nicht so rosig aus bei der Masse an Texten und selbst die waren in EA fehlerhaft oder unlogisch.

Siehe auch: https://www.baldurs-gate.de/index.php?threads/fehlende-deutsche-sprachausgabe.45443/

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 09/07/23 07:26 PM.
G
G
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Nambia, are native speakers, not to mention Hungry and Romania which have a lot of German as a second language citizens.

Yep, pretty big demographic (sure I missed some people). I myself had to fall back on college German to communicate in Hungry.

Last edited by Grizzmyt; 10/07/23 12:53 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
The amount of spoken language is just too much to dub. If you dub a (AAA) game you want it to be of good quality, equal to the original. Otherwise it would break immersion even more than having trouble reading the subtitles, at least in my opinion. The German dubbing industy is good, but therefore also expensive. So it's financially just not feasible i guess, even after release.

Die Menge an gesprochener Sprache ist einfach zu viel. Wenn man ein (AAA) Spiel synchronisiert will man es auch in guter Qualität haben, so gut wie das Original, sonst ist die Immersion meiner Meinung nach noch mehr gebrochen als wenn man beim lesen der Untertitel nicht immer hinterher kommt. Die deutsche Synchro-Industrie ist ja meistens recht gut und deshalb auch teuer. Folglich ist das finanziell einfach nicht machbar denke ich. Auch nach Release des Spiels wird es sowas wohl nicht geben.

M
stranger
stranger
M
waste of money and more importantly - time

enthusiast
enthusiast
Eh... as sad as it is for the rest (and most) of the world english is the universal language of every aspect of our social life. It's kind of a must nowdays, but I do agree that not everyone might be capable to learn the language on a level that allows to freely access media.

Could they do a full dub into another language? Probably, not likely as it takes a lot of time, even more money and finding the right talent. I'm also for general fairness in accesability, so if you dub your game you should dub it for all the languages supported. That cost even more though frown

On a side note - I always hated dubs made in my language, they always hire known faces from the movies or whatnot and more often than not they do a shit job and I can't help but see the actor not the character. Always prefer the original spoken language even if I don't understand it, becuase you can't mistake emotion behind words. Those are the voices the creators had in mind, and dub actors *always* shove their "artistic vision" instead of sticking to the role they are given.

veteran
veteran
As a member of small nation, who have to usualy wait for 5+ years in order to get at least subtitles (7+ to get decent ones) to anything ... if ever in the first place.

I think this isnt bad idea.

Go to some recording studio, find out what it will cost, make a collection, contact people who will be willing to record it ... and then when you will it all done, contact Larian with proposition.
Im sure most people would give up somewhere around step two. wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
T
stranger
stranger
T
While D:OS 1 and 2 are certainly great games, I've barely played them due to the lack of a German voiceover. BGII is my favorite game of all time and it's fantastic that a capable development studio is reviving this brand. However, after my experience with D:OS 1, I won't be buying BGIII without German voiceover, and I'm absolutely sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.
I am patient. It would be absolutely ok for me if a mediocre German voiceover would only be released 1-2 years after release and I would even pay money for a German voiceover DLC, but without German voiceover I won't play this game.

journeyman
journeyman
Wait - I am confused ....

Are you guys saying that this game will only come out with english voices?

Solasta D&Does what BG3 D&Doesn't.
A
stranger
stranger
A
How is this a waste of money? If it will have a German Dub, tons of Germans, that wouldn't if there is only an english version, would then buy it. I'd played the shit out of PIllar's of Eternity or DOS 2 if it had a German Dub. But English Dub und German Subs are pretty annoying and breaks the immersion for me. Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 had a German Dub, not even close to every text, but it's still better to have a bit German Dub in there than nothing.

old hand
old hand
As a Dutchman, I grew up with Subtitles for everything, but we had the ZDF just as the BBC.

And holy crap is German dubbing the worst, I can't believe the Germans are still rooting for this.. I guarantee you that if you're not [yet] too comfortable with listening to a foreign language, subtitles are the way to go. That way, you still do justice to the original acting and writing- and properly learn a second language to boot. It's a *lot* cheaper, too.

I mean, come on, fellas.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 30/07/23 12:12 PM.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
veteran
veteran
Please, people, do a reality check from time to time.

It’s already a half-miracle that a game of this size and scope, in this genre, can afford to have full voice over in ONE language.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
A
stranger
stranger
A
Other game studios do it. Look at Bethesda games for example. Or Witcher 3.

I'm not sure if I would buy BG3 if it doesn't have a German Dub. I really dislike the English Dub of most Fantasy RPG's. I can't take all those corny Shakespeare dialogs seriously.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
As a Dutchman, I grew up with Subtitles for everything, but we had the ZDF just as the BBC.

And holy crap is German dubbing the worst, I can't believe the Germans are still rooting for this.. I guarantee you that if you're not [yet] too comfortable with listening to a foreign language, subtitles are the way to go. That way, you still do justice to the original acting and writing- and properly learn a second language to boot. It's a *lot* cheaper, too.

I mean, come on, fellas.

I think that dub is okay. Keep in mind that dub is almost 40 years old

Last edited by Agent_Ste; 30/07/23 01:53 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Agent_Ste
Other game studios do it. Look at Bethesda games for example. Or Witcher 3.
Nowhere near close in terms of amounts of dialogue involved AND part of a genre with a far larger audience appeal (unless BG3 will become the turning point).
It's not a coincidence that you have so many developers suddenly whining a bit that BG3 is "an anomaly rather than a new standard" and you didn't hear the same complaint being made for the titles you mentioned.

I'm not sure if I would buy BG3 if it doesn't have a German Dub.
Oh well, that's easy to solve then.
Don't buy it, because it doesn't.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Tuco
[quote=Agent_Ste]Other game studios do it. Look at Bethesda games for example. Or Witcher 3.
Nowhere near close in terms of amounts of dialogue involved AND part of a genre with a far larger audience appeal (unless BG3 will become the turning point).
It's not a coincidence that you have so many developers suddenly whining a bit that BG3 is "an anomaly rather than a new standard" and you didn't hear the same complaint being made for the titles you mentioned.

BG3 might would have a far larger audience with dubs other than the English one.

veteran
veteran
As the say goes: "None so deaf as those that will not hear. None so blind as those that will not see."

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Agent_Ste
I think that dub is okay. Keep in mind that dub is almost 40 years old
Well. I'm old too, lol. And I remember what the real actors sounded like. To me, this is a disgrace. I'm *really* glad B.A. isn't in this scene.

Kidding aside, I didn't speak English as a kid - when the above was on TV. I could watch this perfectly with just subtitles. Our games don't have translations, subtitled or otherwise; our country is way too small to put that sort of cost on it. And yet, I played games just fine, in fact - it's the primary reason my skill at English today rivals, or even equals my Dutch.

I... Just have trouble with the aversity Germans have to learning a second language, I suppose. I'd get it if the Witcher 3 was only in Polish or something. That's not a language that comes up very often. But in this day and age, everyone should learn to speak at least basic English. The whole world speaks it, Germans should, too. The rest of the world certainly isn't going to speak German anytime soon.

That way, you can just turn on your subtitles and experience the writing and acting the way it was intended, not by some phoned-in translation.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 30/07/23 02:46 PM.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I... Just have trouble with the aversity Germans have to learning a second language, I suppose. I'd get it if the Witcher 3 was only in Polish or something. That's not a language that comes up very often. But in this day and age, everyone should learn to speak at least basic English. The whole world speaks it, Germans should, too. The rest of the world certainly isn't going to speak German anytime soon.

That way, you can just turn on your subtitles and experience the writing and acting the way it was intended, not by some phoned-in translation.[/quote]

I speak and understand English pretty decent, but it is more appealing to hear the dialogs in your mother tongue. Also like I said, the English dubs of fantasy RPGs are often pretty corny, like they are actors in a 18's century theatre

old hand
old hand
Well, aside from The Witcher, I don't think I ever have played an RPG that was dubbed *into* English. And, I think in that series, only the first one was actually written in Polish, the rest was dubbed *from* English. I could be wrong. Still, English VA in Witcher series was *excellent* imo.

Oh, hang on. Yeah, I've had he old games that were translated from Japanese, by the Japanese. Those are awful. All your base are belong to us! LOL. But that's just writing, those weren't spoken.

Still, I most certainly disagree. That's like saying Shakespeare is best in the original Klingon. If they dubbed this -or any other - game into Dutch, I'd spend the weekend in the Cotswolds and download the UK version. Now that I think of this, I might actually visit that again.

And this goes for other languages, too. I watch Scandinavian Crime thingies sometimes. Admittedly, they stare in the distance mostly to solve crimes, so not much talking going on... BUt I only understand a tiny bit of it. I'll take the original performance over anything other, though. Just like how I'd watch Der Untergang strictly in German. I couldn't imagine that being dubbed... eww, no. It's an insult to those that made it, if nothing else.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard