Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46
enthusiast
enthusiast
How does Sleeping work as I thought Elves (Non Drow kind) go into a Trance?

Evil always finds a way.
G
G
Originally Posted by TheAscendent

Resting works the same for everyone, although you can theater of the mind that elves occupy their time pursuing personal goals.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Grizzmyt
Originally Posted by TheAscendent

Resting works the same for everyone, although you can theater of the mind that elves occupy their time pursuing personal goals.
Do they no longer just... sit and medidate on a long rest?

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
In the game they’re usually shown as meditating cross-legged rather than lying down. Except in certain cutscenes, which is slightly jarring but hopefully will be fixed somehow on full release!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
L
addict
addict
L
Elves absolutely *can* sleep. It's more a matter of personal and cultural preference as well as their capability to enter the trance. IIRC it's stated in the novels that drow specifically tend to have difficulty entering a trance and that most sleep instead. There are exceptions though. Quenthel Baenre, the current head of the first house of Menzoberranzan didn't even own a bed, and had a mat she meditated on instead IIRC.

A lot of Drow just lack the sort of mental stillness to enter the sort of meditative state required to trance due to....cultural reasons.

Even surface elves can/will sleep. IIRC they can become too exhausted to trance and have to sleep instead.

Not necessarily the sort of thing that tends to be reflected in the rules though.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Not necessarily the sort of thing that tends to be reflected in the rules though.
There is word for such things: Homebrew.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
There is word for such things: Homebrew.
Yes, but unfortunate nonetheless to have to resort to such.

veteran
veteran
/shrug ...

Anyway.
What is final werdict on this topic?

Elves faces are not Elven ...
Dwarves beards dont seem to be Dwarvish ...
Half-Orcs (acording to that single pic i have seen, but it was after all picked as promotional material) are not Orcish (enough) ...
And Haflings are ... well, i dont want to be rude, but "some weird biological material that asumed aproximately humanoid shape" ...

Seems like models will be Achilles' heel of this game. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 06/07/23 09:26 PM.

G
G
I like the variety.

I found the lack of Tav voices to be the limiting factor.

L
addict
addict
L
I actually like the halflings. proportionately large heads and shorter limbs is a look they have had before, it's not too dissimilar.\\

Dwarves, yeah. Some beard variety would be nice. I have hope in this department-we know more customization is coming.

Half Orcs...I'm happy to see them, but they look like Oblivion orcs.

Elves. Still disappointing. Don't expect it to change. Perhaps some enterprising modder could fix them up, but more people seem fixated on creating their perfect elven waifu than on making them look lore-accurate, because that would make them less conventionally attractive, even if it did mean they looked like something other than pointy-eared humans.

apprentice
apprentice
I wish Dwarves had bigger legs. Personally I feel right now they're too top-heavy and nor proportionate to how I feel they should look. Dwarves being sturdy and hard to knock over makes the skinny legs feel a bit out of character. The torso could have also used some work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This particular drawing by itSMEneon is what I personally think would be ideal proportions. Obviously at this point it's probably too late in development to make these changes without having to redo all the armor/clothing/animations. I'll make do.

Last edited by Swagnar; 07/07/23 07:38 PM.
R
R
I actually like the halflings. proportionately large heads and shorter limbs is a look they have had before, it's not too dissimilar.\\

Dwarves, yeah. Some beard variety would be nice. I have hope in this department-we know more customization is coming.

Half Orcs...I'm happy to see them, but they look like Oblivion orcs.

Elves. Still disappointing. Don't expect it to change. Perhaps some enterprising modder could fix them up, but more people seem fixated on creating their perfect elven waifu than on making them look lore-accurate, because that would make them less conventionally attractive, even if it did mean they looked like something other than pointy-eared humans.

Well you got your beard variety.

Thoughts on the new customization and elves from what you saw? Still don't look like depictions of the Tel-quessir to me but i could be wrong/overlooking things in the recent PfH.

Look at what modders did with Elves in NWN2, they worked magic, i believe that will be the case here as well.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Relampago
Well you got your beard variety.
You mean that single fluff with 3 little braids, that dont even reach your breast, and will most likely be aviable for each and every race ... maybe even including elves?

Among Dwarves, calling such thing a beard would be insult that can only be washed over by blood.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 08/07/23 06:38 AM.

apprentice
apprentice
I personally want a long beard braided into 7 locks that reaches the waistline.

[Linked Image from blizzpro.com]

Kinda like this one.

veteran
veteran
Exactly!
Beards are important for Dwarves ... in some better fantasy settings, its even said that the way they make their braids and add decorations to them reflects their clan, or social status ...
Shaving off the beard is worse punishment a Dwarf can get ... even death is not so bad in comparsion. :-/

And what we have in BG-3?
Bunch of mustaches, some fluff on your chin, and basicaly no facial hairstyles at all. :-/
Ok, there is *one* that looks like they actualy *care* about their beard ... others, well ... not so much. :-/

This is good selection for Human ...
NOT for a Dwarf ... frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 08/07/23 07:35 AM.

R
R
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Exactly!
Beards are important for Dwarves ... in some better fantasy settings, its even said that the way they make their braids and add decorations to them reflects their clan, or social status ...
Shaving off the beard is worse punishment a Dwarf can get ... even death is not so bad in comparsion. :-/

And what we have in BG-3?
Bunch of mustaches, some fluff on your chin, and basicaly no facial hairstyles at all. :-/
Ok, there is *one* that looks like they actualy *care* about their beard ... others, well ... not so much. :-/

This is good selection for Human ...
NOT for a Dwarf ... frown
True.

apprentice
apprentice
As is the case with many games, we can only hope some kind modder will make some truly dwarven beards worthy of a king under the mountain. Most games tend to be lacking in facial hair variety anyway.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Since all Elves have Fey Ancestry are they vulnerable or have a disadvantage against weapons of Cold Iron? They are classified as Humanoids in the setting, so I just found it odd.

Evil always finds a way.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Well, shadow heart speech sometimes mention selune, but she worship Shar.... smile

old hand
old hand
The following excerpts are from the maestro himself...

Most good “fairy-stories” are about the adventures of men in the Perilous Realm or upon its shadowy marches. Naturally so; for if elves are true, and really exist independently of our tales about them, then this also is certainly true: elves are not primarily concerned with us, nor we with them.

And lastly there is the oldest and deepest desire, the Great Escape: the Escape from Death. Fairy-stories provide many examples and modes of this—which might be called the genuine escapist, or (I would say) fugitive spirit. But so do other stories (notably those of scientific inspiration), and so do other studies. Fairy-stories are made by men not by fairies. The Human-stories of the elves are doubtless full of the Escape from Deathlessness.

Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard